Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Vagabundo posted:

Uhhh... including this one.

Yeah, sorry, I thought that was implied. I mean in addition to the Aliens novelization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

Yeah, sorry, I thought that was implied. I mean in addition to the Aliens novelization.
He was making a movie dialogue joke.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Anyone else pick up the William Gibson Alien 3 comic adaptation?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Millions of Crows posted:

Anyone else pick up the William Gibson Alien 3 comic adaptation?

Yes, I posted up a review in CineD recently:

Xenomrph posted:

I finished reading the comic adaptation of William Gibson's 'Alien3' script draft and... it sure was a comic book, I guess.

Maybe reading the script and listening to the audio drama will salvage it, but I didn't think the comic was that hot. Ripley (and to a lesser degree, Newt) gets written out of the plot in the laziest way possible, Hicks (and to a lesser degree, Bishop) is a non-character who is given nothing to do and feels flat and lifeless, poo poo just kind of.... happens, it's all very inferior to the Alien3 we got.

There was some stuff that just didn't make sense.

On a visual level, giving the UPP soldiers a USCM dropship was lazy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. They're an independent and potentially hostile military, what are they doing with USCM tech? Like I could come up with explanations, but that doesn't make it less stupid.
It took me a good while to figure out of the weapons division people were from the military or from W-Y and I'm not quite sure why.
Speaking of, the corporate woman mutating out of nowhere caught me totally off-guard, I had to flip back and make sure I hadn't skipped a page somewhere. Like, she gets sucker-punched and the very next panel is her mutating like something out of 'The Thing'.
The Sulaco gets intentionally diverted through UPP space to get to Anchorpoint because it's the shortest route.... but the Sulaco had apparently been out in space for four years since 'Aliens'? Wait, what? Like, the four year gap not only doesn't make sense, it's totally inconsequential to the story so why include it?

I mean, I'm glad this exists - it's kind of an oddity and seeing a rejected script get visually adapted is a novel idea. I'd like it if they took a crack at adapting other script drafts like the Ward or Twohy scripts.
But yeah this story was not good, or at least it wasn't executed well. I'll see if the actual script or the audio drama change my mind.

The audio drama is a lot better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

The audio drama is a lot better.

I liked it a lot, what did you like about it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In all fairness, it was a pretty lovely joke.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

In all fairness, it was a pretty lovely joke.

To be honest I didn't get it either because it made sense in the context.

:downs:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

drat. That one went right over my head.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Owlbear Camus posted:

No, you're here so they are still dropping.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

My IQ test came back negative.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

:siren: my girlfriend :siren: got me this rad tshirt for our one year dating anniversary

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looks like love at first sight to me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

quote:

The film had an ace visual effects coordinator in Phil Tippett, who also worked on the original Star Wars films and RoboCop. But on set, the computer-generated bugs had to be simulated using some rather unconventional methods. Verhoeven used everything from brooms to poles and even himself as a stand-in. As Clancy Brown (Sgt. Zim) recalled, Verhoeven would be "jumping up and down with a bullhorn going, 'I'm a big f**ing bug! I'll kill you!'”

I love Paul Verhoeven so much.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh man, now I wish Paul Verhoeven had directed an Alien film.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Watching the end of preator with my gal who I'm catching up on the classics and she got me hosed up pointing out Dutch's powerful Kevin McCallister energy when ol Preds tries to cancel him for wearing blackface.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I love Paul Verhoeven so much.

Vagabundo posted:

Oh man, now I wish Paul Verhoeven had directed an Alien film.

I like Alien and Aliens a bit more than Robocop and SST, and I feel like Alien movies should have a more serious tone, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see that movie.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 21, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Linux Pirate posted:

I like Alien and Aliens a bit more than Robocop and SST, and I feel like Alien movies should have a more serious tone, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see that movie.

This is basically exactly what I think. Both points.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vagabundo posted:

Oh man, now I wish Paul Verhoeven had directed Alien 4

Fixed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Linux Pirate posted:

I like Alien and Aliens a bit more than Robocop and SST

Seems like apples and oranges to me anyway; how does one even begin comparing Robocop or SST to Alien? May as well be arguing over ice cream flavors

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Seems like apples and oranges to me anyway; how does one even begin comparing Robocop or SST to Alien? May as well be arguing over ice cream flavors

More about Paul Verhoeven as a director and his over the top style, and how well that would/wouldn't fit in the Alien universe. Not a comparison of Robocop, SST, and Alien as films

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Woop woop got some more Aliens merchandise in the mail today :woop:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Linux Pirate posted:

More about Paul Verhoeven as a director and his over the top style, and how well that would/wouldn't fit in the Alien universe. Not a comparison of Robocop, SST, and Alien as films

Agreed. To flip the tables, Robocop would have been a slow burn and missing much of its bite if Ridley Scott had directed it. Different directors create different visions.

Alien is goddamn near perfect as a horror movie

Aliens one of the best action movies ever made

Robocop is loving amazing

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Is robocop acid-proof?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1240

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

How has there not been a Robocop vs Aliens comic or game or anything? Even the most stupid contrived reasons to get that crossover would be worth it. Maybe.

"Your move, creep!" *blasts Drone with Cobra AC*

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Xenomrph posted:

Woop woop got some more Aliens merchandise in the mail today :woop:

Nice, I never knew they made merchandise for the capcom game.

I would be drat sorely tempted by a lt. Lynn Kurosawa action figure...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Prodos was giving the AvP arcade protags as a freebie with their losing the liscence clearance sale. I didn't even really care for them for my purposes, but I got em.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
...okay, that Dutch is cool, but...did Lynn get a faceful of acid blood or something? drat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NECA also did a two-pack of Linn and Dutch:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Nice.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that looks really good. i hope one day capcom just makes 3d versions of every character across all their games in the the street fighter 2 -> 4 fashion so i can play aliens vs predator hd

the arcade version is packed with capcom home arcade releasing later this year so its not one of those licensing horror stories where a property is just lost

skasion posted:

For me the problem with T2 is the lack of tension. Everyone knows that Edward Furlong is not gonna get torn apart by an evil robot. Terminator is at heart a slasher movie where a woman alone is menaced by sinister, armed vagrants. It’s inspired by this post-Watergate stuff like Halloween or Assault on Precinct 13 where American society is collapsing and the murder of women and children by these chaotic forces is completely within the realm of possibility. It’s easy to envision a version of the movie where Sarah just ends up dead. T2 has a completely different worldview.

basically what im saying is, John Carpenter should have made T2

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is there a good Alien Isolation LP anyone can recommend? Ideally someone who knows what they're doing and is showing off the story and the game and not a shrieking dickhead going in blind.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Drunken Baker posted:

Is there a good Alien Isolation LP anyone can recommend? Ideally someone who knows what they're doing and is showing off the story and the game and not a shrieking dickhead going in blind.

you'd almost be better off watching the cutscenes since most of the gameplay is just avoiding the same couple enemies or praying the aliem don't come while you're doing the save animation

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is the hive reveal and the multiple alien reveal done in game or with cutscenes? Those are the parts that really pique my interest. (I'll look them up on youtube after I post this)

edit: jesus, just the Youtube thumbnails for people playing that game is enough to make my skin craw. You just know they're going to be screaming almost the entirety of the video. Urgh.

Xenomrph's AvP lps were so good. Hey, Xenomrph, have you done a LP of Isolation by any chance?

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 23, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drunken Baker posted:

Is the hive reveal and the multiple alien reveal done in game or with cutscenes?
Ingame, in quick succession.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Have I completely made this up or is there a part where the hive has entombed the ship and you look out a window and turn the lights on only to see a resin wall where space should be and there are hundreds of aliens all climbing over one another out there and... whoops, they know where you are now because of the light.

Or am I remembering part of System Shock 2 and just adding aliens?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drunken Baker posted:

Have I completely made this up or is there a part where the hive has entombed the ship and you look out a window and turn the lights on only to see a resin wall where space should be and there are hundreds of aliens all climbing over one another out there and... whoops, they know where you are now because of the light.

Or am I remembering part of System Shock 2 and just adding aliens?

I think you may have merged both games into one! There is a bit in Isolation where a bunch of aliens are escaping the hive as it gets destroyed, clambering up and over each other to escape the inferno and then BAM! jumpscare as one hits the window you're peering out of. There's no resin wall though, outer space is clearly visible above Sevastopol station. I can't speak much for SS2 however, since I got next to nowhere in that game.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm basing both of those things on 3rd hand information as I haven't played either. Haha. No wonder I couldn't find THAT scene when I was scouring youtube for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drunken Baker posted:

Is the hive reveal and the multiple alien reveal done in game or with cutscenes? Those are the parts that really pique my interest. (I'll look them up on youtube after I post this)

edit: jesus, just the Youtube thumbnails for people playing that game is enough to make my skin craw. You just know they're going to be screaming almost the entirety of the video. Urgh.

Xenomrph's AvP lps were so good. Hey, Xenomrph, have you done a LP of Isolation by any chance?

I’d like to, but I haven’t. Work and other obligations keep me super busy, although I’d like to get back into LPs again.