Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oxyclean posted:

What else should I stick on this thing?

I tried to hold out for an S-Rank, following the advice in the OP about checking 3-Star Economy Stations, but I never ran into any S-Ranks, and very few As. (This A ended up being at a 2 star I had from before I started looking.)

You could slap three more mining and upgrades on it and two more blaze upgrades, and I'd either upgrade the boltcaster or gut it to make shifting between weapons smoother, but that's a personal preference.
Edit: Oh and the helmet looking analysis components and backpack looking analysis components gets adjacency, so put them next to each other in a whole big bunch.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So sometimes the procgen makes some neat things.

I'm currently settled on a planet called Val Paradiso. It's your standard paradise planet, no extreme weather, star bulbs etc.

It has exactly one predator species, this goofy looking gently caress:

Now, what's remarkable about that is that he comes with this procedural tag:

Why is that interesting? Because the most common herbivore on the planet is this guy:

Who has evolved lanterns on his back to ward off the only predator likely to try and eat him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Regarding Multi-tools, I'd like to mention that Prototype and Alien versions are usually way better than the normal ones, even at much lower ranks.

My B-rank Protoype gun knocks pretty much every S-rank gun I've seen out of the water.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got an avtivated indium farm going!

Surveying is... annoying as poo poo? Doesn't look like you can toggle so you're stuck hopping around the ship until you get the right thing. Anyways after quite a bit of that I found a good deposit and got to work. And by work i mean mining the absolute poo poo out of everything because you need so much ferrite dust! I didn't bother surveying for power and just got a few solar panel and batteries going. I figure I'll get the system to run through the night then just keep throwing silos until I get tired of plopping them down. Then I'll properly build a facility around it because a e s t h e t i c s.

Didn't bother trying but can you ramp up production by installing more extractors or are you limited to 1 per surveyed area? And is there any point to powering the storage silos or are the power condiuts on them for the purpose of chaining power to other stuff?

This planet is great outside of the burning superstorms that literally blind you if you try to fly anywhere.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got an avtivated indium farm going!

Surveying is... annoying as poo poo? Doesn't look like you can toggle so you're stuck hopping around the ship until you get the right thing. Anyways after quite a bit of that I found a good deposit and got to work. And by work i mean mining the absolute poo poo out of everything because you need so much ferrite dust! I didn't bother surveying for power and just got a few solar panel and batteries going. I figure I'll get the system to run through the night then just keep throwing silos until I get tired of plopping them down. Then I'll properly build a facility around it because a e s t h e t i c s.

Didn't bother trying but can you ramp up production by installing more extractors or are you limited to 1 per surveyed area? And is there any point to powering the storage silos or are the power condiuts on them for the purpose of chaining power to other stuff?

This planet is great outside of the burning superstorms that literally blind you if you try to fly anywhere.

You can definitely have more than one miner at a spot - I think I have 12-15 going on one spot. The silos don't need power, but you can definitely use them to chain the power and pipes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I built an extractor on a copper spot near my base before I knew what the survey scanner was and I'm decently happy with all the copper I am pulling out. Really wish the survey tool let you pick what you wanted to search for.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Oxyclean posted:

What else should I stick on this thing?

I tried to hold out for an S-Rank, following the advice in the OP about checking 3-Star Economy Stations, but I never ran into any S-Ranks, and very few As. (This A ended up being at a 2 star I had from before I started looking.)

I dunno, maybe some lube for your lographic anal?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

You could slap three more mining and upgrades on it and two more blaze upgrades, and I'd either upgrade the boltcaster or gut it to make shifting between weapons smoother, but that's a personal preference.
Edit: Oh and the helmet looking analysis components and backpack looking analysis components gets adjacency, so put them next to each other in a whole big bunch.

Is the Blaze Javelin agreed to be best/good? I tried for a bit because I had the impression it was, but I was feeling a bit underwhelmed. It feels a little fiddly/awkward to use.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You can build extractors now and just mine? I had no idea!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oxyclean posted:

Is the Blaze Javelin agreed to be best/good? I tried for a bit because I had the impression it was, but I was feeling a bit underwhelmed. It feels a little fiddly/awkward to use.
it's neat to one-shot sentinels from far away enough that they can't tell you did it but it's also really awkward to use in a firefight with a controller. i'm a spray-and-pray realist.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

On the second jump on this vr save I came out of hyperspace with a hexagon planet filling my entire field of view. I've never seen a hexagon planet before. Game is good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Standing on a moon very close to its planet's rings in VR makes all the stupid poo poo in this thread worthwhile.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Got my first "scout" base setup with just a teleporter, power, and some extractors / silos. Had to run the power line super long so I extended my base distance by planting flags. It's gathering Oxygen which isn't the most exciting material but it will be nice to never need to worry about it again.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
On my first playthrough and this game has a lot of moving parts and not a lot of explanation as to how they connect. I just reached the Anomaly, but still haven't procced whatever you need for the in depth base building quests. What am I missing? Also is there a 'best' website to use to figure this game out, it's pretty obtuse and seeing "get storm crystal" but not having the storm crystal entry in my catalog to explain how/where to get them is just one of a million why did they do it this way questions I've had in the past 7 hours.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

Standing on a moon very close to its planet's rings in VR makes all the stupid poo poo in this thread worthwhile.

My home base is on a small verdant moon orbiting (floating next to) my starting planet hell ball. It’s gorgeous and the orbited planet takes up 2/3 of the sky with huge rings arching over the horizon. The scale of this stuff in VR is immense. Also in my travels found a crashed freighter that wasn’t the quest one. It looked like a huge frisbee sticking out of the ground from several Km away. I walked/ran to it to take in the sights and it just kept growing and growing until facing it was my entire Oculus screen. Awesome poo poo!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cheesetriangles posted:

Got my first "scout" base setup with just a teleporter, power, and some extractors / silos. Had to run the power line super long so I extended my base distance by planting flags. It's gathering Oxygen which isn't the most exciting material but it will be nice to never need to worry about it again.
sweet things to do with oxygen* include :

just refine it straight into carbon
shove it into a refiner with carbon at a 2:2 ratio and it will produce 5 condensed carbon, each of which you can refine down into 2 carbon
or
shove it into a refiner with cobalt at a 2:2 ratio and get 5 ionised cobalt, each of which you can refine down into 2 cobalt

*at least pre-beyond, i've done none of this recently because i am jam-packed with super-dense materials to break down

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oxyclean posted:

I'm having more fun with the pulse splitter right now, but I guess the blaze is technically the most efficient.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I guess you can't just plant whatever in normal planting silos anymore and actually need to use the greenhouse for non native plants. Maybe that was existing before but I haven't played since Next so dunno.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
on a planet: found an s rank em field for power

also on planet: found an a rank indium deep mineral deposit

big problem: they are significant distance apart (20+ minutes at walking speed, that's Many Units)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing you're going to unlock is ever going to actually vary what you're currently doing, though. You're always just going to be flying to the same prefab buildings and talking to identical aliens repeating the same dialogue, buying functionally identical tools and ships, on virtually identical planets painted different colours.

Maybe once you play more it'll click but you've already done everything there is to do in the game, everything to come is just doing that again with the thinnest coat of paint over it.

If you distill the experience of gaming you will find that all video games from 1972 until now are like that. Every single one of them. Closed sandboxes with a limited set of rules. The only exception being MMOs but only because they are glorified chat rooms with gameplay elements, remove other people from mmos and they collapse again into that definition.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Springfield Fatts posted:

On my first playthrough and this game has a lot of moving parts and not a lot of explanation as to how they connect. I just reached the Anomaly, but still haven't procced whatever you need for the in depth base building quests. What am I missing? Also is there a 'best' website to use to figure this game out, it's pretty obtuse and seeing "get storm crystal" but not having the storm crystal entry in my catalog to explain how/where to get them is just one of a million why did they do it this way questions I've had in the past 7 hours.

That's pretty much where I'm at as well, there are a ton of systems in the game and I wish I knew how to prioritize caring about them better. So many things to upgrade, also a main story line, also just random loving around the galaxy, not clear what I should be going for.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i did some googling to see if i could use the nms save editor to fix my quest progress and lol turns out hello did in fact fix my quest and the step where it bugs out, teleporting me into space and killing me, actually is supposed to teleport me into space and pretend to kill me and now correctly does that without actually killing me.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Went to play beyond for the first time only to find out the game "upgraded" beyond my computer specs. Ran fine before and now I dont have a graphics card that supports vulkan. I didnt think an update to a game I've owned for years was gonna be the first thing that was flat out unplayable on my system. I figured maybe Cyberpunk was just out of reach next spring. gently caress it. /rant

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Turns out you can put multiple power generators on a single em field. Turned my little 150 KW/s thing into 300 just by putting a second one down.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ZombieCrew posted:

Went to play beyond for the first time only to find out the game "upgraded" beyond my computer specs. Ran fine before and now I dont have a graphics card that supports vulkan. I didnt think an update to a game I've owned for years was gonna be the first thing that was flat out unplayable on my system. I figured maybe Cyberpunk was just out of reach next spring. gently caress it. /rant

What card do you have? I was under the impression that Vulkan support stretched pretty far back.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Doing the Artemis questline and Should I put her in the simulation or let her die?

I am worried if I let her die I will miss out on tech or unlocks or something but it seems like the right choice, does it matter?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There are no material rewards for your decision.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
As I play this, I keep thinking that I would be willing to pay an absurd amount of money for a super chill game like this, but with Sea of Thieves theme and graphics (and no pvp). And no, Atlas doesn't count.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

2. At one point you're tasked with crafting an item that requires cadmium which is only found in red star systems. To reach the system the quest tells you that you need to craft the red hyperdrive engine. However, freighter have no color restrictions and can jump directly to any red start system, bypassing the step altogether.

I uh ... just discovered that you don't actually need to have your red hyperdrive engine working, you just have to install it. I forgot to actually put the metal in my cadmium drive, got there, then realised.

the bugs in this game own

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ps for whoever was complaining about not being able to change the mining beam size a while ago, it looks like this is due to the change to Steam controls - the two modes are using completely different control sets, with only Build having these bound. All you need to do is go in and bind the Beam Increase/Decrease actions to buttons under the 'On Foot' set to restore the mining beam size changing.

Usefully, the control remapping within the game is also bugged in that it hides (not disables) the button legend, so you'd never even know you can bind multiple actions to a single button unless you open the controller config from Steam itself. Unfortunately you cannot have them on the bumpers without binding Melee somewhere else or being content that you're going to punch something every time your beam size changes in that direction. You don't have to worry about Secondary Action on the left bumper since you have no valid secondary action with the terrain tool out.

e: you can also restore the ability to tag locations by changing out the On Foot X button's 'Custom Marker' action with 'Tag Marker'

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 20, 2019

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm still very new to the game, only warped to one adjacent system so far, no Nexus or freighter or anything. Having lots of fun just exploring. Made a few million last night wandering around a mountainous desert world digging up old bones. After that I randomly picked a planet to check out that ended up being an exotic world. The "beam" type, I think is what the wiki calls it? Really cool to assume it's just a grey rock from orbit, only to land on a planet with bizarre floating rocks, rolling orb creatures ("cheerful"), and green light beams shooting into the sky. Felt like the set to an early star trek episode. The massive deposits of gold didn't hurt either.

One question I had as I'm still struggling with the UI: how do I get a good overview of the solar system and the planets in it? Currently I blast into space and use my mk. 1 eyeballs to identify a planet and navigate to it. But surely there is an better way to see all the planets, their names, resources, and position?

Serf
May 5, 2011

started up a new game and i was in the middle of repairing the ship when i decided to recharge my life support, which used all my carbon. and then i realized i couldn't recharge my multitool. owned

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

I hired my first frigate yesterday, a B class combat ship for 3+ million. Except when I went to my freighter... no frigate. They definitely took my money though! I'm going to pretend I ran into a grifter who flies around the galaxy bilking people out of money and then disappearing.

I probably know what actually caused it though. When I got my freighter I didn't bother with the tiny little quest things it wanted me to do - use the computer, talk to the navigator, build a fleet command. I just got the freighter and left. I've seen that a ton in this game - sometimes the game really really expects you to do things in a certain order and if you don't, you get screwed over. I see it with quests as well - you can do something that would complete a quest, but if you didn't have that particular quest selected at the time it doesn't actually count.

Ah well, time to go collect some more storm crystals.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Serf posted:

started up a new game and i was in the middle of repairing the ship when i decided to recharge my life support, which used all my carbon. and then i realized i couldn't recharge my multitool. owned

punch a tree.

Also a new small update is out

Patch Notes 2.06G posted:

Fix for a matchmaking threading crash.
Prevention of players orphaned in a lobby.
Dynamically limit base building limits to allow some very large bases to load in more situations.
Adjust GFX memory budgets to improve stability.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

punch a tree.

Also a new small update is out

And the 2.06H experimental is up:

quote:

Maintain forward progress on shader and material load for problematic CPUs.
Improved fallbacks for out of video memory in low memory situations.
Fix for rare instance of falling through space station when interacting with vendor.
Fix for crash when ship pilot being interacted is removed unexpectedly.
Improved alignment of video memory allocations.

Looks like you can use the multitool vendor again in MP.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went from the beta branch back to the main branch last night and my performance improved quite a bit :iiam:

Anyway, Sean has mentioned multiple times that they took time to address the scale of things for VR users and holy poo poo am I glad they did. I found my first crashed freighter last night as part of the quest to get my hyperdrive going.

When I landed, the sun was just going down on the planet and I got out of the ship next to this massive hulking silhouette of the freighter. There was just enough light left to make some details out and I had one of those “holy poo poo that is unbelievable” moments. VR really nails home how big those things are and how tiny you and your ship are in comparison

Really liking this game in VR

In summary: :catdrugs: :pcgaming:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One batch of my farm and now I have a few million to buy and upgrade poo poo. gently caress it’s nice to progress to this point where I’m less scavenging for poo poo and I’m now building and exploring.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Can anyone explain to me why my first mineral extractor setup isn't working?

Silo end:

Extractor end:

I've also tried demolishing both, rebuilding the extractor by itself to see if it can hold materials by itself (no), rebuilding the silo too and connecting them directly by 1 segment of pipe to see if that helps (no). Not sure why the silo has the red 'no power' icon, you can clearly see it has power and the power status of the network sure makes it look like I'm producing more than I'm consuming. And, uh, supply depots can store power? They're supposed to be batteries too?

Also I noticed that it seems like if you're doing multiple pipe segments, you have to get everything right the first time because they don't give you dock points like wires do later. Not that I can tell since none of this poo poo will work at all!

edit: also are the old 'autonomous mining units' still in? The ones that would mine from the normal shiny metal deposits on the surface. I see them in the catalogue but you can't get them from the research terminal in the Nexus so I'm wondering if they're story gated or just left in by mistake.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 20, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I went from the beta branch back to the main branch last night and my performance improved quite a bit :iiam:

Anyway, Sean has mentioned multiple times that they took time to address the scale of things for VR users and holy poo poo am I glad they did. I found my first crashed freighter last night as part of the quest to get my hyperdrive going.

When I landed, the sun was just going down on the planet and I got out of the ship next to this massive hulking silhouette of the freighter. There was just enough light left to make some details out and I had one of those “holy poo poo that is unbelievable” moments. VR really nails home how big those things are and how tiny you and your ship are in comparison

Really liking this game in VR

In summary: :catdrugs: :pcgaming:

Are there different types of crashed freighters? I've only ever seen the one with the big ring aft area. But yeah, was cool to come upon for the first time.

some other random qs

-How to change the terrain manipulator size in VR?
-How to add only some of a resource stack to the Biofuel Generator?
-On a shared planet, how do savegames work? What happens if two people build a base near one another, but then one reloads to an older save before the base was constructed?
-Where do you find blueprints for constructed elements like Sodium Diodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Walrus posted:

Are there different types of crashed freighters? I've only ever seen the one with the big ring aft area. But yeah, was cool to come upon for the first time.

Before Beyond, all crashed freighters looked the same. Randomly generating them was a new feature introduced in Beyond, and I've seen a couple of variants already. If you keep seeing the same one either you're unlucky or it's bugged, even odds which is more likely at this point.

It kinda sucks that fully looting a crashed freighter costs so much resources, I frequently have to walk away and come back more than once to finish. With their rarity they should be more like instant treasure piñatas.