Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Run Goonpa run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sounds like a good way for him to blow out his knees.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Haifisch posted:

Sounds like a good way for him to blow out his knees.

Walk quickly Goonpa, walk quickly!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Waddle. Waddle quickly.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Concur, magnetic west.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Roll, Goonpa roll!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

Goonpa gonna do this.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
October 19th, fifteenth day in the wilderness.

11AM
After his masterful kill, Goonpa eats some celebratory fruit, and starts heading due (magnetic) west.

2PM
Goonpa is just cutting a swathe through the wildlife population of Dogleg River Forest! It takes quite a few tries, but we add 26 more oz of game to our stores, and we still have eleven bullets left.

5PM

We keep moving, and we get our first clear glimpse of Endboss river through the trees. This seems like good point to make camp, since we have some cooking to do and also need to spend some time melting snow for drinking water.

By the time we are done, Goonpa is more exhausted than I've seen him in a very long time. All that running through the woods firing wildly as squirrels must have taken more energy than I thought. Also the frost bite is back, but at this point we know that it's pretty easily treatable if we get some fireside rest.

By the time we're done setting camp, we're down to "miserable", which we haven't seen before. :ohdear: I'd like to say for the record that I've been pretty diligent about making Goonpa drink water, so the dehydration is probably the giardia starting to really take its toll.

October 20th, sixteenth day in the wilderness.

6AM

In fact, Goonpa is in such bad shape that we get this message when we try to move out the next day, indicating that we wouldn't make any appreciable progress by walking for our normal 1 hour increment. His health is sitting just below the 40% mark, which is a point we've been at before so I'm not exactly sure what's causing this. Mostly likely the perfect storm of frostbite/dehydration/starvation/giardia adding up.

Not much to do at this point except giving Goonpa a day or two of rest, keeping him warm and hydrated so at least the frostbite and dehydration clear up. We're very lucky that we had a windfall of food before reaching this stage, since we can quite comfortably sit around for a bit with our food stocks and practically unlimited snow to boil for drinking water.

Keep your fingers crossed that Goonpa will ever be able to get on his feet again, and won't poo poo himself to death with Endboss River just in sight. :pray:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That's fair. It's a miracle he's gotten this far, and we have more food than we've had in quite some time, so we can take a day to rest and recover.

Not sure why he's miserable suddenly though. He's been sick for a while without seeming too bothered and we've made some real progress recently, he ought to be feeling pretty drat optimistic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, now that he's in a state good enough to satisfy his base 'survive at all costs' instincts he can think about how miserable his situation is.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Black Robe posted:

That's fair. It's a miracle he's gotten this far, and we have more food than we've had in quite some time, so we can take a day to rest and recover.

Not sure why he's miserable suddenly though. He's been sick for a while without seeming too bothered and we've made some real progress recently, he ought to be feeling pretty drat optimistic.

A geriatric miracle. Baby Goonpa for as long as it takes, it's all downhill from here. Shame about that giardia, dehydration is a bitch in cold weather.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

A mighty hunter indeed!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

"Miserable" is an indicator of his general physical status, rather than of morale, so it makes a bit of sense that he's a bit broken down given how hard I exhausted him yesterday. Since he didn't walk farther than usual my best guess is that either shooting at animals is very tiring, or that the game treats walking through wooded areas as quite a lot more strenuous than walking through open terrain, even if that clear ground is much more sloped.

I also think exertion pushes your health down separate from any medical conditions and takes a fair bit of rest to recover, so a day or two should hopefully be enough to get him on his feet so that he can push on to drown in Endboss River reach the safety of the ranger station.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah look at the health %, we are at 32% and the game uses all of that scale. 1% would be technically alive but functionally dead, you're no longer viable as an organism at that point. you can plod along when you're falling over but you're not getting anywhere fast.

since we have access to ready water with the snow on the ground still it might make sense to stop for a rest day. the frostbite has come back so while we're definitely not getting rid of the giardia, eating double rations to stave off the starvation and a day by the fire might be in order. or it might doom us because the giardia has progressed enough that it is no longer possible to stay hydrated and we're going to continue to deteriorate from that.

but if that's the case it's probably already gg anyway.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Coolguye posted:

the giardia has progressed enough that it is no longer possible to stay hydrated

I got a bigass river that'd like to disagree with you.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Interestingly, according to the manual, death occurs when health drops below 3%, for whatever reason. So we have PLENTY of health left to spare in order to just stay alive. It's just, uh, the "moving around and doing stuff" that's pretty problematic.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can relate.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Once again, sorry about the lack of updates. This time, I blame it on being busy celebrating my birthday (:toot:) and also going on a traditional canoeing trip with my dad.

As compensation, have a couple of pictures from said trip! While technically the wilderness, we had a lot more pleasurable time than Goonpa has had.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Those are very pretty. Thanks!! :)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If this game's taught me anything it's that the wilderness is overrated and not really threatening at all - you're fine!

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Beautiful pics Covski, but how's the giardia treating you?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Looks very swedish, sweet brother. Did you catch anything? Not giardia.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Covski NOOOOOOOO!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
We lost him to giardia

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I messaged him about a month ago and he said he's doing fine but there's some technical issues holding things up.

(He also said he was going to post in the thread about it :v: )

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

drat, sorry, I actually thought I made that post :v: (Also thanks for caring enough about this stupid LP to keep nagging me, Black Robe!)

LP is on something of a hiatus, since the ancient lovely laptop I'm using is dying a lil' bit (pc giardia?), specifically with regards to some of the keys intermittently deciding to stop working. Which, as you may guess, is a bit of a problem when trying to play a game which plays entirely by written commands. So, LP on hold until I can afford a not-ancient laptop, or work up the courage to attempt to see whether or not amateur laptop surgery can alleviate the issue.

But don't worry, nothing has been lost so Goonpa's journey will reach some form of conclusion, at some point. (possibly in the very next update, since his fat rear end is currently too exhausted to move even an inch away from the spot where he's camping, never a good sign - but it will be an amazing anticlimax)

I was actually thinking about doing a thread challenge in the meantime if there is interest, providing a copy of the game and a starting save and letting you guys provide trip reports on how you handle a survival situation based on the lessons you've learned from Goonpa. If there's any interest at all, I could probably whip it up before Christmas.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Ah, crap, we're not gonna drop dead feet away from the ranger station, are we?

(Actually, that would probably be a fitting end for our little odyssey.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Goonpa is going to reach the ranger station, but stop right outside the door. Goonpa could overcome a lot, but not his arch enemy: stairs.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Goonpa sits in the ranger station, wrapped up in a blanket, recounting his story.

The rangers smile and nod, knowing that this senile old man has had a rough couple days.

Outside, a frustrated ranger shows up with a baby stroller full of supplies he found by the trail.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
USB keyboard?
That's been my go to for functional but enragingly small laptop keyboards.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, s'what mine's using!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Covski posted:

drat, sorry, I actually thought I made that post :v: (Also thanks for caring enough about this stupid LP to keep nagging me, Black Robe!)

No worries, hope you can get the keyboard issue sorted out soon.

As for the challenge, I'd be really tempted to try it except I'd get horribly lost pretty much immediately. The explanations for the navigation stuff are easy enough to understand in the abstract in my head but I have a lot of trouble parsing it to the images, and I think I've been wrong every single time in this thread I attempted to work it out myself. Hope someone or multiple someones take you up on it though, it sounds interesting.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'd be interested to try the challenge. It's liable to go hilariously wrong, but that's the fun of it!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Happy news! I FINALLY acquired a laptop with a non-broken keyboard, so our Survival Adventures will be resuming in the next few days. I'm very much looking forward to Goonpa never stirring from his repose, promptly freezing to death and making this the most anti-climactic returns ever after a year long hiatus!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
bullshit!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I was just thinking about Goonpa yesterday!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goonpa is the 2020 mascot we need.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Goonpa's just been practicing healthy social distancing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

for his entire life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GoonPa dying would be so 2020 it hurts.