Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm generally a big fan of Something Goes Wrong In Space / Deep Under Water so I'm intrigued.

But yeah, hope TJ Miller gets choked out by an octpus early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

This looks so much like a Korean Alien knockoff set on an deep sea dig that I saw maybe 10 years back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dillbag posted:

A 2+ year post is never a good sign.

Also looks like they're fighting Illithid.

Mindflayer would be a kickass 80s horror movie title.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

Back when word came out that James Cameron's followup to Aliens was set in the deep sea with a possible extraterrestrial influence, several competing studios thought, "Ah, he's making Aliens under the sea."

Film projects like Deepstar Six, Leviathan, and Lords of the Deep all ran with that misconception to some degree and rushed out films to beat The Abyss to the box office, but no one really fully embraced "Aliens under the sea."

Underwater looks like it's just 30 years late to the party, and I'm extremely here for it. :colbert:

I thought Deep Rising was a pretty good Aliens at sea movie. Not under the sea, but close enough.

I was 16 when it came out and haven't seen it since though. :D

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought Deep Rising was a pretty good Aliens at sea movie. Not under the sea, but close enough.

The CGI hasn't aged well, but Treat Williams is still the best.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mindflayer would be a kickass 80s horror movie title.

I assume you've seen the Baldur's Gate 3 trailer? :nms: for gore if you're a giant babby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGvdC7icYQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deep Rising is the best.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Well I am full blown in love with short haired Kirsten Stewart so I will see this.

She looks like Eminem when he did the first Marshall Mathers LP.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hell yes to Deep Rising. Nine years late to hang with The Abyss, but definitely very Aliens flavored. There were multiple reviews at release calling it an outright Aliens clone.

Still a fun ride today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFEVXIyu00

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Treat Williams hamming poo poo up in The Phantom was one of the great 90’s action film performances.

A shame his career seemingly turned into dust and dispersed to the wind.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Bugblatter posted:

This looks so much like a Korean Alien knockoff set on an deep sea dig that I saw maybe 10 years back.

If you remember the name, drop it in here - I'd love to check it out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alehkhs posted:

If you remember the name, drop it in here - I'd love to check it out.

7광구, or in english Sector 7.

It wasn’t very good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gonz posted:

A shame his career seemingly turned into dust and dispersed to the wind.

Can you said to have that much of a movie career if you pretty much exclusively star in direct-to-video movies? The only movie he's been in that rises above "entertaining but forgettable" is Once Upon A Time In America. He's like the real life Troy McClure only less successful.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Bugblatter posted:

7광구, or in english Sector 7.

It wasn’t very good.

Thanks! I thought it might be that after some brief Googling. Looks like it takes place on the surface, but I'll toss it on the list.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Can you said to have that much of a movie career if you pretty much exclusively star in direct-to-video movies? The only movie he's been in that rises above "entertaining but forgettable" is Once Upon A Time In America. He's like the real life Troy McClure only less successful.

Is this a disparagement against the Substitute film franchise?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

married but discreet posted:

Well I am full blown in love with short haired Kirsten Stewart so I will see this.

Same :allears:

Movie looks cool. gently caress TJ Miller though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

If you look at his filmography he was in a crap-ton of movies. Kind of like David Warner, never saw a role he'd turn down. Granted I think The Phantom and Deep Rising were the closest he got to success in terms of becoming a solid B-lister, but I figure if you're in that many films that's kind of a success on its own.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

If you look at his filmography he was in a crap-ton of movies.

Crap being the operative word.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
To quote, “Ah, but you have heard of me!” Not saying Treat Williams anywhere near the majesty of Christopher Lee, but building your career on a bajillion b-movies is a time honored tradition, and I’ve got respect for a guy who manages to become a known name for no identifiable reason; I very much throw Billy Zane into the same pile.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Alhazred posted:

She looks like Eminem when he did the first Marshall Mathers LP.

:thunk:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

To quote, “Ah, but you have heard of me!” Not saying Treat Williams anywhere near the majesty of Christopher Lee, but building your career on a bajillion b-movies is a time honored tradition, and I’ve got respect for a guy who manages to become a known name for no identifiable reason; I very much throw Billy Zane into the same pile.

I'm pretty sure he's only known to people with an above average interest in movies. I only know him because I happened to watch three of his movies (and he left so little impression in Once Upon a Time In America that I didn't remember him being in it before I looked it up).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure he's only known to people with an above average interest in movies. I only know him because I happened to watch three of his movies (and he left so little impression in Once Upon a Time In America that I didn't remember him being in it before I looked it up).

He is known by a different group of people for a different reason, though. My mother-in-law calls him, "That guy from Everwood." So that's something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

thrawn527 posted:

He is known by a different group of people for a different reason, though. My mother-in-law calls him, "That guy from Everwood." So that's something.

Yeah, I was about to point that out as well. 4 seasons, 89 episodes apparently. Do you think the people who watched that even remember him from Hair?

He’ll always be guy from The Subtitute movies to me (3 crappy sequels, he replaced Tom Berenger after the first one).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 20, 2019

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEM5HW7q5dY

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

He’ll always be guy from The Subtitute movies to me (3 crappy sequels, he replaced Tom Berenger after the first one).

Wasn't this the discount 187 with Sam Jackson and Clifton Collins Jr? It got three sequels?? :classiclol:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cvnvcnv posted:

Wasn't this the discount 187 with Sam Jackson and Clifton Collins Jr? It got three sequels?? :classiclol:

The Substitute came out a year before 187. WHO IS THE DISCOUNT KNOCKOFF NOW?!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Substitute is also basically Cobra or Commando with a spritzing of 90s inner-city high school drama, the description of 187 looks more earnest

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019
If I remember correctly (and I may not!), in 187 someone uses a bow to shoot a DRUG-FILLED SYRINGE like an arrow.

I also remember reading that it was was written by an actual practicing high school teacher.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FYI this is based on a short story by the creator of Channel Zero. Spoilers, obviously.

https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet-boy/

Edit:
Here is a trailer for Noah Baumbach's new Netflix movie starring Adam Driver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59tgVPvhW4

Edit:
Here is a trailer for Noah Baumbach's new Netflix movie starring Scarlet Johannsen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBSbgaqPr8

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 21, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is it two movies or just two trailers? I'll take double Baumb.

e: Just one, I guess. Thought maybe it was a Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby sitch.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 21, 2019

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
New trailer for Ad Astra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCNKuB93BA

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Each trailer has been a significant improvement on the last. I just hope the film is what this one is selling, and not what the previous ones were selling.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Babadook's Jennifer Kent has a colonial revenge movie comin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPxmnMAyZw

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Peccadillo posted:

Babadook's Jennifer Kent has a colonial revenge movie comin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPxmnMAyZw

Looks rad. I didn't love the Babadook, but it definitely left me interested in more of her work.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nightingale is supposed to be very loving raw and hard to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everything I read about Nightingale made it seem like I wouldn't like to watch it. Everything I just saw in that trailer made it seem like I would like to watch it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nightingale is supposed to be very loving raw and hard to watch.
It's a very long movie with about three particular scenes that are really brutal. I'll spoil them for anyone who is looking for their triggers One scene depicts a gang rape along with the murder of a man and the on-screen murder of an infant, there is another rape later in the film, and there is a pretty gnarly murder of one of the movie's villains. There is also an off screen moment that is still pretty brutal slaves having their heads carved off.

What I will preemptively say is two things.

The violence is incredibly humane and intentionally in first person. Not in terms of the camera being in PoV, but there are actually violent moments we don't see that are tied to what scene's lead character is focused on or willing to look at. It's brutal, but the film was made with sexual violence counselors and a lot of input from the Aborigines.

Secondly, it's not a horror movie and it's not a western and it's not a revenge film. There are horror movie tropes for sure and there's the obvious retort that the timeframe is in itself a horror movie which is fair... But it's really not trying to terrify with its violence or even the moments where it drips into almost ghost story like language. It is trying to get you to understand and empathize.

Most of the movie is really about understanding its characters and understand a brutal moment in our world's history. It's a lot of characters just spending time with each other. It refuses to paint anyone as perfect paragons and even finds humanity in its villains. I think the ending is also really interesting and worth unpacking.

It's a shame that people have been so reactionary to the violence and so quick to label it as a genre picture. It's the best movie of the year so far, and probably is going to be the best movie release all year.

EDIT: Not trying to disparage genre films... it's just that it doesn't really do service to what this movie actually is.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 21, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

feedmyleg posted:

Each trailer has been a significant improvement on the last. I just hope the film is what this one is selling, and not what the previous ones were selling.

What film were the previous ones selling? All these trailers have seemed pretty consistent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I could be wrong—I do not want to go rewatch them to check—but previous ones made it feel like a goofier, schmaltzier film than this one seems to, and also pushed for more of an action/thriller vibe in parts, whereas this one feels slower and more awe-inspired.