Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Falcorum posted:

Edit: Relevant to the thread, apparently someone's working on reviving the HW faction mod for Starsector.

Yessssssss. Best news I've heard all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Started to mod the game and my launcher works but won't remember resolution, keeping sound enabled, fullscreen etc.

I'm going to just be plugging this in manually to the settings.ini but is there another fix?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Where do you have the game installed? Only thing I could think of would be it can't automatically update the .ini for some reason.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im getting annoyed that when you make colonies you literally can't avoid pissing off people and having to constantly bribe them.
Also its annoying to get the 1000 extra crew to start up a colony, whats the best way around that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Where do you have the game installed? Only thing I could think of would be it can't automatically update the .ini for some reason.

Ah yes, that, my starsector folder got marked as read only for some stupid reason, not sure why. But if that happens you can't modify the settings.ini

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rynoto posted:

default program files x86 location. No admin issues when saving it manually. Making the resolution change to 1080 at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json" didn't work either, still opening with default resolution, no sound, no fullscreen. Enabled mods are remembered.

/e- Seems to be a consequence of enabling dev mode. Any other way to get rid of the zoom restriction?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you run starsector.exe as administrator that allows it to modify read only files which should solve the problem if that's what's causing it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Didn't edit in time. It's a result of enabling dev mode. Any other way to enable super zoom?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Im getting annoyed that when you make colonies you literally can't avoid pissing off people and having to constantly bribe them.
Also its annoying to get the 1000 extra crew to start up a colony, whats the best way around that?

Grabbing a couple of nebulas or a starliner will give you the crew capacity you need, and you can just stow them away at the colony you just founded until you want to create another.

I'm kind of eh on political tensions being inevitable because once you get a colony or two really going you're going to have more money than you can reasonably spend and the ability to custom order any ships or weapons you want as long as you have blueprints. By that point there isn't anything else to do except bully the other factions into submission for more blueprints, so it really doesn't matter if everyone hates you or not.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sure, just finding a 0 dmod capital ship lying around near a pirate base i was hunting down for a contract. I'll take it!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm having real big trouble finding an Atlas for sale... everyone is hiding it behind comnissions/military sales. Any ideas?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Matazat posted:

Is there a way to see how many kills a ship has? Or perhaps a mod that adds it?

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11551.0

Combat Analytics and Detailed Combat Results. I believe this is what Starship Legends is built upon, even.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm having real big trouble finding an Atlas for sale... everyone is hiding it behind comnissions/military sales. Any ideas?

Murder an invasion fleet and steal one :hist101:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

get friendly with the independents, who do not require affiliation to sell you their military stuff

or yes murder one and loot it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also just join tri tach, buy one, then leave and if they take issue, kill them with it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

OwlFancier posted:

You could also just join tri tach, buy one, then leave and if they take issue, kill them with it.

Atlas, not Astral.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah bugger never mind then. I knew there was something a bit wrong with that name.

Though my question then becomes why do you want an astral they're really inefficient.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah bugger never mind then. I knew there was something a bit wrong with that name.

Though my question then becomes why do you want an astral they're really inefficient.

They’re ship-slot efficient.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmmmm I guess though given how inefficient they are in every other role I'd probably rather use something else.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
How do you call yourself a goon, if you do not embrace The Bees?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Astrals are horribly inneficient when you can have a Pandemonium instead. :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The only Atlas you should be really running is the Atlas Mk. II. Because a giant freighter turned into a death ship is peak starsector.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
When a skill says Piloted or Governed, is that for YOUR directly control ships/colonies or is it for anything you put a space-mans in charge of.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fOUrTEenTH BaTTLeGrUOp atlas mk3

what if atlas, but instead of cargo space, it was filled with guns. and what if instead of guns, it was filled with explosives and fuel

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gaj posted:

When a skill says Piloted or Governed, is that for YOUR directly control ships/colonies or is it for anything you put a space-mans in charge of.

Piloted/governed refers specifically to the ship you are directly piloting or the colony you are directly administering, yes.

Factionwide bonuses are listed as such, all ships in fleet etc.

Falcorum posted:

Astrals are horribly inneficient when you can have a Pandemonium instead. :v:

Astrals are the perfect bomber carrier, the recall system is absolutely incredible and makes a full dagger/trident load out ridiculously deadly.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

FrickenMoron posted:

Sure, just finding a 0 dmod capital ship lying around near a pirate base i was hunting down for a contract. I'll take it!

*looks closer at derelict ship's name* uhhhh it only shares the last two words but you might want to be careful around that boat :stare:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Autism Sneaks posted:

*looks closer at derelict ship's name* uhhhh it only shares the last two words but you might want to be careful around that boat :stare:

Honestly that's the sort of poo poo that I'd love to see a mod add. Turns out that perfectly servicable capital was abandoned for a reason and now you need to fight the beast from catacylsm or something. :unsmigghh:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

Honestly that's the sort of poo poo that I'd love to see a mod add. Turns out that perfectly servicable capital was abandoned for a reason and now you need to fight the beast from catacylsm or something. :unsmigghh:

Those distress calls should have Azathoth as one possible outcome.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Or we could stop putting Cthulhu poo poo in loving everything

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

While cosmic horror is overdone, there really should be some unpleasant surprises amongst all the various derelicts and dead colonies. Even without a fuel supply, some of those systems should've been self sufficient so why did they die? So too should ruins and planets in Remnant territory be especially risky places to explore. Sure, you destroyed the space forces but there should be expended munitions and mines and various nasty automated groundside anti-personnel weapons ambushing people. The risks should be ameliorated with marines and/or good survey skills or something, but there should be risks.

Complications fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 21, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
abandon no-dmod capitals being infested by [redacted] would be pretty cool. like it acts as a normal ship for a while until oops your suddenly thrown into a battle versus your ship that now has triple stats or got morphed into a redacted version

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

Or we could stop putting Cthulhu poo poo in loving everything

Doesn't have to be literal loving Cthulhu, use your imagination.

Hidden REDACTED caches
Mysterious pristine ships which may or may not suddenly vanish while in hyperspace.
Remnants of a big battle.
Big battle still in progress.
Ancient colony ship full of crazed survivors who attempt to attack your fleet reaver style.
Tri-Tach raiding party looking for volunteers for their next research party.
Wandering merchants selling rare loot.
Etc etc

Right now distress calls are pretty much a "Fight pirates Y/N?" prompt. Having some variety in the outcomes wouldn't hurt even if it's just different enemies who ambush you.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I could go for space zombies or a bio-organic enemy/ship parasite thing like from cataclysm. Colony management seems to get more and more annoying over time because the other faction AI decides your colonies are literally satan and must be wiped out because how dare they being profitable while being at war and constantly attacked by pirates and jihadists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What I want to see:

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
I was actually thinking of doing up a mod "distress beacon" event that could hook into various scripted outcomes but looks identical to the vanilla ones from the player's side - it wouldn't be much of a "framework" since it'd still be script-heavy but it'd help to have one system managing it all so that 1) they look consistent and 2) the frequency stays somewhat under control

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Larry Parrish posted:

HW2 had that bullshit accuracy thing yeah. That was by far its biggest sin. Its not a terrible RTS but it's more like a spiritual successor that rips off the almighty banana flag ship. Also, why isn't there a homeworld faction mod yet.

I thought the insane and confusing plot was HW2's biggest sin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to fight literal loving cthulhu, how many reaper torpedoes does it take to kill an elder god? Science wants to know.

Seriously using the sub module system to make actual space monsters would be a great way to add some wild variety to the combat. I think Ironclads added giant space bugs that lived in asteroids and they were pretty rad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I seem to recall one of the faction mods teasing some sort of space monster years ago, but I don't think anything came of that and the mod itself might be defunct.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I seem to recall one of the faction mods teasing some sort of space monster years ago, but I don't think anything came of that and the mod itself might be defunct.

Blackrock did, but it never materialized. Then there was a real monster mod too, but that died at least two patches ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

No idea if you ever got one but this made me think of you :toot:

Always be pirating ships.

Also shown here my dumbass salamander kite which suicided by being too close to the Atlas when it blew up.