Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You can share it with four or five others if that makes it any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well 11.99 is still too much for me since I really don’t use it much.

I still think that YouTube TV should include it but whatever.

It does (or at least it used to). Did they stop that?

e: god drat, they did.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 20, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

It does (or at least it used to). Did they stop that?

e: god drat, they did.

There was a bundle with music, never one with tv and red.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Would Sling be the best option for getting some cable channels? I use various streaming services for the shows I watch, but there's a few things that I want to watch live:

USA, TNT for rasslin'
MSNBC and CNN for news

It looks like with Sling that would be $25 for Sling Blue + $5 News Package for $30 a month. $1 a day doesn't feel terrible. That's $25 cheaper than the cheapest special with cable and $20 cheaper than PS Vue.

I have Charter and I was using my folk's credentials since I'm only watching a few shows, but that is starting to not work in apps like MSNBC where it won't play live streams any more. I'm guessing because of their zero sign-on tech where they're matching the device to the specific IP for service or something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

Would Sling be the best option for getting some cable channels? I use various streaming services for the shows I watch, but there's a few things that I want to watch live:

USA, TNT for rasslin'
MSNBC and CNN for news

It looks like with Sling that would be $25 for Sling Blue + $5 News Package for $30 a month. $1 a day doesn't feel terrible. That's $25 cheaper than the cheapest special with cable and $20 cheaper than PS Vue.

I have Charter and I was using my folk's credentials since I'm only watching a few shows, but that is starting to not work in apps like MSNBC where it won't play live streams any more. I'm guessing because of their zero sign-on tech where they're matching the device to the specific IP for service or something.

Yeah, Sling would be cheapest.

You can use Suppose.tv to compare packages: https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=2&f=1l2l446!419!275!73l250l50l1l0lll1&r=rJfgFHNPV

We have a "Cutting Cable" thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

Violator
May 15, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, Sling would be cheapest.

You can use Suppose.tv to compare packages: https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=2&f=1l2l446!419!275!73l250l50l1l0lll1&r=rJfgFHNPV

We have a "Cutting Cable" thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

Ooh, thanks

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Violator posted:

USA, TNT for rasslin'
MSNBC and CNN for news
I will give special mention to Hulu here, because Hulu has their live TV service but, if you get cheap or periodically aren’t excited enough with wrestling to watch it live, they have a two hour Raw VOD that cuts out some curtain jerker storylines and the occasional bad midcard match.

Some people including myself find it the only way to survive Raw with sanity intact since they went to three hours. But I also stopped watching wrestling live when I realized how much of it is commercials and got spoiled by WWE Network blasting through old episodes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best way to watch Raw is to not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I couldn't even bring myself to watch those 20 minute recap shows that get uploaded to YouTube. Especially when I still have 17 days of G1 Climax 29 to get through...

Violator
May 15, 2003

Honestly I’m more interested in TNT in case AEW turns out to be worth watching, and if I’m going to start paying for a service I figured I might to start trying to watch Raw again. But I don’t even know if it’d really be worth it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've jumped between DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and YouTube TV, and here's what I like most about YouTube TV:

-More sports selection
-Unlimited cloud DVR
-Easy to share a membership with friends/family
-Interface seemed better than the others

We split our membership 4 ways (you can have 3 concurrent streams going at once), but it has to be with local friends.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

I've jumped between DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and YouTube TV, and here's what I like most about YouTube TV:

-More sports selection
-Unlimited cloud DVR

We split our membership 4 ways (you can have 3 concurrent streams going at once), but it has to be with local friends.

Against the TOS but they haven't clamped down yet on using a VPN to 're-verify' your service area every 3 months.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ya honestly to me which internet TV being best depends on how many people you can share it with lol

Needing to be local sucks, but makes sense

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Gay Retard posted:

-More sports selection
-Unlimited cloud DVR

Just the sortable/customizable sorta old school guide (and with the cool preview activity on the ATV4k) on YTTV sold it for me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gay Retard posted:

I also found YouTube with PS Vue right behind it to be the best. That said I found the streaming cable subs to be about as bad/useless as cable (honestly the best thing about them is no contract).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Just the sortable/customizable sorta old school guide (and with the cool preview activity on the ATV4k) on YTTV sold it for me.

Yeah, it's nice being able to put all the garbage channels at the very bottom of the guide and organize channels by subject.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
...or just make them not appear at all. :foxnews:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I’ve had Sling for a couple years and the app quality has improved from totally laughable (constant crashes on 4th gen ATV, entire shows would play with that loading circle in the middle of the screen) to totally OK and stable. As far as I know it’s the only service which has NFL Redzone, so I don’t see myself switching off any time soon.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have this issue? I think it’s new for me...

I used to be able to pause a YouTube video and eventually it’d go to screensaver, and then eventually sleep, and then my TV would eventually shut off.

This works as expected if I am on the YouTube home screen, but not if I am still paused in a video.

Anyone else experience this? I’ve only realized when I wake up in the morning and my TV is still on and the video is still paused on screen.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone have this issue? I think it’s new for me...

I used to be able to pause a YouTube video and eventually it’d go to screensaver, and then eventually sleep, and then my TV would eventually shut off.

This works as expected if I am on the YouTube home screen, but not if I am still paused in a video.

Anyone else experience this? I’ve only realized when I wake up in the morning and my TV is still on and the video is still paused on screen.

I get this when I’m using the youtube app on iPhone to control the youtube app on atv instead of using a remote/the remote app/airplay

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Real quick, is it possible to watch today's keynote on ATV? I vaguely remember there being some kind of Events app but I also vaguely remember it being a WWDC thing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fedule posted:

Real quick, is it possible to watch today's keynote on ATV? I vaguely remember there being some kind of Events app but I also vaguely remember it being a WWDC thing?

Yup. That should be the right app. If you don't have it search for Apple Events.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-events/id1090599922

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thanks for that, viewing was successful. It did, however, remind me that I have an Actual Problem.

Video, but not sound, cuts out for about a second every ten minutes or so. This happens in various, but seemingly not all, apps; so far it’s happened in BBC iPlayer and Apple Events, but not Netflix.

This is on the current gen ATV 4K. Video out is 4K60. This happens with match frame rate/dynamic range both on and off. Notably, it seems to not happen when switching down to 4:2:0 chroma, which suggests a dodgy HDMI cable, which is an explanation I’d accept instantly if it happened in Netflix too, or if audio was cutting out too like the last time I had an HDMI problem, or if the cable I’m using was something that came with some tech rather than a cable I specifically bought on the recommendation of the HDTV thread. Is an HDMI cable problem consistent with the problem described? If not, what else should I try?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Since it’s relevant here: Apple TV Plus. November. 5 bucks a month.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Since it’s relevant here: Apple TV Plus. November. 5 bucks a month.

Also, if you’ve been thinking of upgrading your AppleTV (or really any Apple product) you get a free year of ATV+ with any new Mac, iDevice, watch, or tv.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fedule posted:

Thanks for that, viewing was successful. It did, however, remind me that I have an Actual Problem.

Video, but not sound, cuts out for about a second every ten minutes or so. This happens in various, but seemingly not all, apps; so far it’s happened in BBC iPlayer and Apple Events, but not Netflix.

This is on the current gen ATV 4K. Video out is 4K60. This happens with match frame rate/dynamic range both on and off. Notably, it seems to not happen when switching down to 4:2:0 chroma, which suggests a dodgy HDMI cable, which is an explanation I’d accept instantly if it happened in Netflix too, or if audio was cutting out too like the last time I had an HDMI problem, or if the cable I’m using was something that came with some tech rather than a cable I specifically bought on the recommendation of the HDTV thread. Is an HDMI cable problem consistent with the problem described? If not, what else should I try?
Sounds like a cable issue. Apple TV/tvOS has its own display test or whatever you can run that should tell you whether your cable is good or not. Had a similar issue and a new cable fixed it, whatever it was.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Mahoning posted:

Also, if you’ve been thinking of upgrading your AppleTV (or really any Apple product) you get a free year of ATV+ with any new Mac, iDevice, watch, or tv.

Pretty sure it doesn’t apply to the watch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

Pretty sure it doesn’t apply to the watch.

True dat, good catch.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ufarn posted:

Sounds like a cable issue. Apple TV/tvOS has its own display test or whatever you can run that should tell you whether your cable is good or not. Had a similar issue and a new cable fixed it, whatever it was.

Hrm. The test says everything “looks good” and that my cable supports the signal (with 4:2:2 set), but I have no idea what it’s actually testing or how it knows that.

Maybe I’ll just buy some new cables anyway?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mahoning posted:

Do you get it on your apple account so all of your devices get it?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I wonder if you get auto subscribed to It, so if they have 40 million phones sold over Christmas they can claim 40 million TV+ subscribers or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Do you get it on your apple account so all of your devices get it?

Yes. They said it’s even accessible through Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also they said it was a family subscription for five bucks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also they said it was a family subscription for five bucks.

If it works anything like iTunes family sharing (or is part of that) then it's not going to be useful for anyone but literal families, like parents with children.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Huski Boi posted:

If it works anything like iTunes family sharing (or is part of that) then it's not going to be useful for anyone but literal families, like parents with children.

Apple music family stuff works just fine with friend groups.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Awesome. Just hope there's decent content on it come a year from now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Apple music family stuff works just fine with friend groups.

When I tried to do this with my brother it set up his account as the primary and charged all of my purchases to him.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Awesome. Just hope there's decent content on it come a year from now.

$200B buys a fair amount of programming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Their TV offering should just have been the back catalogues of Friends, Seinfeld, The Office etc that everyone is always fighting over. Hell pay stupid amounts of money for reunions. Too much good TV out there now anyway, who the gently caress can keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Nothing looks very interesting to me on the service but I’m happy it’s at least cheap, maybe it’ll put pressure on Netflix to lower their prices.