Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fontana has the same problems as Pocono tbh. Fast, wide, drivers that can't help themselves.

The onboard from Sato is incredible. Going 220 right before he gets turned and then its just carnage.

https://twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/1163262642217279488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fontana at least doesn't seem to have the problem where cars climb up on the wall though, right? I know Mikhail had his wreck but that seemed more of an anomaly than what's happened the past few years at Pocono

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Long shot, but I think the 14° banking at Fontana helps with these incidents, at least somewhat, so they're faster to slide down the track and away from the walls.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I don't recall many cars getting into the fences at Fontana. Moore's wreck was as much freak accident as anything else and they've eliminated the grass there anyway.

Bring back Cleveland but run it as an oval layout.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Getting up into the fence can happen really anywhere when you get a pile of cars crashing in the same location and can ramp each other, which since pocono is so wide and fast, is where you get the issues imo. Easier to get a pile of cars in one place then most other tracks.

That said, I wouldn't mind if we don't go back cause the racing has generally been kinda boring I feel.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 20, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pocono hasn’t been racy enough, and the safety efforts by the track are marginal. The image of trying to use a gate to fix the catch fence — one year after Wickens’ accident — is enough to make me not want to see more racing from there.

Find another oval. This package seems to do well on shorter ovals, so try to get Richmond or somewhere to take this date on the calendar.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Have Honda subsidize all the teams to go back to Motegi including the Chevrolet teams as a sign of respect and goodwill competition.. With the exception of McLaren.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

harperdc posted:

Pocono hasn’t been racy enough, and the safety efforts by the track are marginal. The image of trying to use a gate to fix the catch fence — one year after Wickens’ accident — is enough to make me not want to see more racing from there.

Find another oval. This package seems to do well on shorter ovals, so try to get Richmond or somewhere to take this date on the calendar.

Yeah, watching them zip tie that poo poo up there was unreal.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Reynold posted:

Yeah, watching them zip tie that poo poo up there was unreal.

I've seen diet tracks do better fixes, and drivers refuse to go on track until it was good. Theres no excuse.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Race at Cleavland like CART used to.... was that teh one at an airport? I loved that track.

And hurry up and race in Australia again so I can go and watch them again!

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bring back Cleveland but run it as an oval layout.

The way it's laid out, you could probably setup either an IMS or Rio style oval without banking. No idea if it would be good or not but I'd tune in.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

bring back new orleans during monsoon season

eta
RLL just released a statement (and full onboard) defending Sato

quote:

Following the events on Lap 1 of Sunday’s INDYCAR race at Pocono Raceway, we are relieved that all drivers emerged unhurt from the crash. Normally in a situation of this nature it is not necessary for a team to comment but following the accusations levied at Takuma, and after reviewing Takuma’s onboard data and camera, we feel that a clarification is necessary. The data and video clearly shows that Takuma did not turn down the track into Alexander in this incident and in fact the first steering wheel movement made by Takuma was to the right, as he tried to correct his car after the initial contact.

This sort of accident is part and parcel of this type of racing and with track position being vital at every stage of each race is, in our view, a part of the sport. It’s a racing incident and we as a team wish to publicly state that we stand behind our drivers and have absolute faith in their ability to race and perform at the highest level for RLL.

This was a racing incident which unfortunately may have some championship implications. A crash at Pocono impacted our title aspirations in 2015 while second in the standings so we know the frustration drivers and teams experienced. As always, we are thankful for the quick response of the AMR Safety Team

Racing incident or not, indycar should absolutely not have pocono on their 2020 schedule

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 21, 2019

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The only reason they have to release a statement at all is because it’s Sato, who is held to a different standard than most.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/CGRTeams/status/1164206675143905280

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

Have Honda subsidize all the teams to go back to Motegi including the Chevrolet teams as a sign of respect and goodwill competition.. With the exception of McLaren.

Isn't the track still hosed?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The road course is not, as Super Formula raced there last weekend. The oval is still damaged.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The road course is hosed, in the sense that it sucks rear end

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

rain+bikes = the only way to have fun with the Motegi road course

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

In today's mailbag Robin says about Zak Brown/McLaren, "but he’s probably a year away from getting the driver he wants to anchor his team." Who's out of contract after 2020 that he wants? Dixon?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably, and there was talk about it last time Dixon's contract was up.

However, I would bet that ship sailed after the performance in May. CGR may not always be perfect but the 9 car has absolutely always been better than that. Even if we assume that the name change is just an engine swap and Papaya orange paint sprayed all over Arrow SPM, Dixon would have to really be feeling pro-Kiwi to make that jump.

Also, if I'm Chip, I'd be praying to any and all deities to ensure that Dixon keeps on being a competitive driver for another 20 years or so, and giving him whatever the gently caress he wants.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So I was talking to Emma Dixon back at Mid-Ohio, and she told me that Scott believes that he's just now hitting his prime and that he wants to drive at Ganassi to set records then he'll go find that big money contract.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

twin ring motegi is a very strong contender for worst track in the world. fuji and yas marina might just edge it out, barely.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

So I was talking to Emma Dixon back at Mid-Ohio, and she told me that Scott believes that he's just now hitting his prime and that he wants to drive at Ganassi to set records then he'll go find that big money contract.

I mean, he's not slowed down a loving bit. In the current field of Indycar drivers, yes, he's on the high end of the age scale, but he's still younger than TK, Servia, Seabass, Sato, and Helio. Granted, three of those are basically Indy-only part-timers, but Mario was loving 54 when he finally retired, and across those last two seasons he still had one win and three podiums. Provided he doesn't get his bell rung too hard, I don't see any reason to doubt Emma.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

twin ring motegi is a very strong contender for worst track in the world. fuji and yas marina might just edge it out, barely.

Yas Marina is the worst. All the money in the world and they build that piece of poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fuji is the worst track I've ever seen

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It produces good races still, in spite of it. It’s probably the most tragic of those mentioned as it used to be an extremely fast circuit that was exciting - it was every bit as good as Suzuka in that regard.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

It produces good races still, in spite of it. It’s probably the most tragic of those mentioned as it used to be an extremely fast circuit that was exciting - it was every bit as good as Suzuka in that regard.

That's why it's such trash IMO. Even new Hockenheim isn't nearly as bad of a redesign.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Yas Marina is the worst. All the money in the world and they build that piece of poo poo

my favorite part of yas marina will always be how the had to put a kink in the long straight because they didn't take parking into account when designing the track lmao

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the Dovi/Marquez shootouts the last couple years have been real fun, but Losail is also a terrible, terrible track

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Losail is the one track where I seriously need a track map to tell where they are because the track is otherwise so featureless

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

like I've done Christ knows how many laps of that track in the MotoGP games and I still can't commit it to memory

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Both Fuji and Motegi at least have good elevation changes. It’s the flat Tilkedromes that are the dirt worst. Doha might be the worst.

Also the oval might need some detail work to make it work again, but it’s at least safe enough to work as a parking lot. There are always cars parked up around the banking during Super GT/Super Formula rounds there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

indycar should go back to watkins glen

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fantasy schedule:

baltimore (x28)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

fantasy schedule:

baltimore (x28)

If they brought SST along with them they wouldn't even need to install any ramps :haw:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Losail is the one track where I seriously need a track map to tell where they are because the track is otherwise so featureless

Valencia?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

indycar should go back to watkins glen

I'll tell you what that track is beautiful and I'm glad to have gone both times they were there recently

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

Both Fuji and Motegi at least have good elevation changes. It’s the flat Tilkedromes that are the dirt worst. Doha might be the worst.

wait, what? Its been a few years but I seem to remember Motegi being completely flat in whatever Forza I played last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

wait, what? Its been a few years but I seem to remember Motegi being completely flat in whatever Forza I played last

the section outside the oval has a fair amount of elevation change