Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

DancingShade posted:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/earphone-cables/products/hm5-replacement-cables (cheap)

Or perhaps

https://periaptcables.com/ (fancier, costs more, make sure to pick the right cable type & termination you want)

Not enough bling?

https://www.mimic-cables.com/collections/sleeved-cables/products/custom-headphone-cable (again, costs more)

They're all going to sound the same so unless you have a burning desire to get something fancy then go cheap.

Those periapt cables look great, and are still far cheaper than the one posted on the beyerdynamic site ($99).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Reaching back to the last page I thought of another audio reviewer who is good: Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews.

His focus is overwhelmingly on IEMs though so if that's not your jam then keep moving.

Wheeee posted:

No

Zeos is a loving meme, never listen to him, dudes a hype generator

He's been reasonably accurate in my experience even if his reviews generally go too long. Sorry you don't like his reviews I guess?

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 18, 2019

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

redeyes posted:

I only collect flac because why not. I can reencode into whatever the latest data saving format is for my phone. Even having a decent sized collection, its still way less than 1tb.

Lossy files are nearly obsolete for consumers. Hard drive space is cheap enough, and whether or not someone can hear the difference themselves, there is an objectively measurable difference in fidelity between the highest bitrate AACs and FLAC.

If you're a large streaming service that has to make every bit count, for server space and badwidth, yeah lossy files are very important. But I wouldn't pay money for an album of lossy files to listen to personally, since they'd be stuck in that format forever. I could never re-rip them to newer files. So if I upgraded my rig and suddenly could hear the difference years later, or if everybody moved on to newer formats like Opus and LossyWav, I'd be stuck.

As for buying everything in FLAC and then making copies in OGG to carry around or whatever, sure. I did that originally but got lazy and just I slap a 200 gb SD card in my phone and throw the FLACs on now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zeos is an okay reviewer but I see no reason to watch his stuff unless you like his personality, since other reviewers are more concise, articulate and organized.

I don't think he has a bad track record as far as accuracy and recommending good stuff goes, other people just do it way better.

Josh convinced me to buy the LCD-X with his glowing review, and even though I've bought AKG-702s, was lucky enough to get a HD 800 S for dirt cheap second hand, and love my TRX-00 Purplehearts, I still haven't heard anything that speaks to me more than the X, even after trying hordes of other headphones at my local shop, so as far as his taste for sound signature, I align pretty closely and feel like he really has an ear for headphones that are fun and engaging rather than necessarily hyper accurate or clear like some other reviewers.

If you find someone who most closely matches your personal taste that's likely your best option for who to follow.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
This might not be appropriate for the thread, but I'm not sure else to ask and since the topic is current- what are the preferred software options for ripping music nowadays? I've used EAC before but not sure if there are better choices?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My HD800S and HDVD800 should arrive today. I am excited.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Listerine posted:

This might not be appropriate for the thread, but I'm not sure else to ask and since the topic is current- what are the preferred software options for ripping music nowadays? I've used EAC before but not sure if there are better choices?

I don't know about better but most media software should be able to rip CDs into whatever format you prefer.

The software I use to manage my media collection is JRiver. Has a pretty good feature set. Costs money.

If you want to rip vinyl specifically then I've anecdotally heard good things about VinylStudio but I've never used it.

Edit - probably the most important time saving question is will your chosen software do all the post-ripping metadata for you reliably? Or do you have to manually edit the files later to add stuff like artist, make corrections etc? Because the latter sucks. If you plan to spend money then use the free trials to make sure it delivers what you're after.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 19, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I guess this is as good a place as any for this question.

I have an old iPod, a third generation. I bought this one about a month ago after my previous one got a little wet and the touchscreen stopped working. It was working great, and I don't think it's the problem.

My headphones (some apple earbuds I'd received as a gift years ago) were fraying and sounded like trash so I ordered some new ones and got them last week. These are the exact ones I ordered. They seemed to be working good until I tried to run with them. My iPod keeps pausing and the volume keeps locking up (and unlocking) like its being controlled by the headphones sometimes and then not. It was doing it when riding the bike at the gym and I took a lovely snapchat of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf31gYgqz2U

I don't want to order the same headphones in case they have the same problem. I loved the previous apple headphones I had - they sounded great and lasted a long time. These are causing my iPod to freak out. They looked identical and I thought they were the same (though many years apart). What can I order that's cheap, sounds just as good and won't cause my iPod to freak out like that?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Do they have to have the exact same design as Earpods? Because for around the same price you can get something like the Koss KSC75s and they'll sound a shitload better, and still be good for running.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Aren’t Apple products on Amazon limited to specific sellers as part of their deal or something?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

My HD800S and HDVD800 should arrive today. I am excited.

These are mine. They are perfect. I'll shut up about them now, and just listen to them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

grack posted:

Do they have to have the exact same design as Earpods? Because for around the same price you can get something like the Koss KSC75s and they'll sound a shitload better, and still be good for running.

I just bought some Koss... somethings... from the local store and they sound like absolute garbage. I tried to give them to my daughter and she agreed they're unusable they sound so bad so I'm returning them.

They really don't, I just know the ones I had sounded great.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CornHolio posted:

I just bought some Koss... somethings... from the local store and they sound like absolute garbage. I tried to give them to my daughter and she agreed they're unusable they sound so bad so I'm returning them.

They really don't, I just know the ones I had sounded great.

Not all Koss headphones are good, but the KSC75s are definitely winners and worth trying.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grack posted:

Not all Koss headphones are good, but the KSC75s are definitely winners and worth trying.

Why do these companies have like one good product at a compelling price (or two, if the porta pros people used to rave about are still good?) and then dozens of cruddy also-ran dogfood products that cost just as much?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

Why do these companies have like one good product at a compelling price (or two, if the porta pros people used to rave about are still good?) and then dozens of cruddy also-ran dogfood products that cost just as much?

God only knows. Just about every company out there makes a couple of stinkers even if they generally make great products.

Koss is interesting in that they have one really good consumer-level driver that they use in a number of different products. They use the same driver in the Porta-Pro, Sporta-Pro, the KPH30 and the (now sadly departed) KSC-25, and use a titanium-coated version of that driver in the KSC-75 and KTXPro1. Other than that, the KDE250 and their Electrostatics are good, and most of the rest of the lineup is trash.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evobatman posted:

These are mine. They are perfect. I'll shut up about them now, and just listen to them.

Very nice. Now tell yourself this mantra for as long as possible: "I have Sennheiser's best, I don't need to window shop for any upgrades".

Good luck!

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Very nice. Now tell yourself this mantra for as long as possible: "I have Sennheiser's best, I don't need to window shop for any upgrades".

Good luck!

as whispers of arya are ever present ;)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think my iPod has a worn-out 3.5mm jack. Headphones were plugged in and the audio was coming from the iPod itself. So instead of buying new headphones I'm going to return it and get a new one and see if that fixes my issue (I'm pretty sure it will).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

I think my iPod has a worn-out 3.5mm jack. Headphones were plugged in and the audio was coming from the iPod itself. So instead of buying new headphones I'm going to return it and get a new one and see if that fixes my issue (I'm pretty sure it will).

To ask a dumb question your headphones worked okay when plugged into your PC / TV / phone?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

DancingShade posted:

To ask a dumb question your headphones worked okay when plugged into your PC / TV / phone?

The sound quality of my phone is pretty bad compared to my iPod, but when plugged into my PC they sound fine. I suspected the 3.5mm jack but it was real intermittent for awhile, not so much now...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

The sound quality of my phone is pretty bad compared to my iPod, but when plugged into my PC they sound fine. I suspected the 3.5mm jack but it was real intermittent for awhile, not so much now...

Sounds like you made the right call.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I heard the Koss KPH30i had the same drivers as the KSC75, so I picked up a set. Yep, they're the same drivers. Massdrop has em for $20 and if the form factor appeals to you, this is the absolute best you can do at this price point IMO. They're really fuckin good.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are you really gonna tell me that Koss is still a thing in TYOOL 2019, and goons gently caress with it? Man, bringing me back to my old aftermarket deck I put in my parents 93 voyager. What a piece of poo poo (both)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They have one really great driver that they use in a few headphones. KSC75, the whole PortaPro line and the KPH30i are all fantastic headphones, ridiculously so considering the price and lifetime warranty. Unfortunately the rest of their whole lineup is pretty garbage.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They have one really great driver that they use in a few headphones. KSC75, the whole PortaPro line and the KPH30i are all fantastic headphones, ridiculously so considering the price and lifetime warranty. Unfortunately the rest of their whole lineup is pretty garbage.

I made, like, this exact same post halfway up the page.

Also, Koss's electrostatics are pretty good.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

looks like we can make any iem truly wireless now that has an mmcx adapter. this is a game changer

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456679-REG/fostex_tm_2_true_wireless_stereo_in_ear.html

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I just bought Porta Pros for working out because I'm tired of dealing with IEMs

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

5-HT posted:

looks like we can make any iem truly wireless now that has an mmcx adapter. this is a game changer

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456679-REG/fostex_tm_2_true_wireless_stereo_in_ear.html

This is honestly kind of exciting. I haven't been interested in any true wireless headphones because they're all trash, I just use an ES100 with most of mine, or a bluetooth cypher cable with my iSine. Fortunately all my IEM are two pin so I'm not tempted to but this haha.

KingShiro posted:

I just bought Porta Pros for working out because I'm tired of dealing with IEMs

What does "dealing with IEM" mean? You just don't like the form factor?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ddogflex posted:

What does "dealing with IEM" mean? You just don't like the form factor?

Mainly finding the right tips and having one side just die for no reason.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Hi thread. I'm looking for headphones that are:

a) active noise-canceling
b) are powered by USB cable (not battery)

I have a pair of these, which I'm really happy with, but I'm kind of tired of having to charge them frequently. Since I sit on front of my computer all day, I figured I wouldn't mind something that is always connected and powered via USB.

no one?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've honestly never heard of such a thing, sorry broheim.

edit: actually Bose QC25s or 35s will let you run noise cancelling in wired mode, which turns off the bluetooth. You'll have to charge them eventually but the battery life in anc-only mode is probably pretty huge.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 22, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

^^^e: that's QC35. The 25's are wired and definitely have to have a working AAA battery in place to do ANC

So I just looked it up and it appears you can use ANC on the bose QC20's while they're charging, which covers your use case. They're IEMs instead of cans, though

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 22, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uh I mean correct me if I’m wrong but won’t all ANC cans let you wear them while they charge effectively turning them into wired ones?

Though to be honest the I don’t think the micro USB port would hold up all that great but it should work.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Uh I mean correct me if I’m wrong but won’t all ANC cans let you wear them while they charge effectively turning them into wired ones?

Though to be honest the I don’t think the micro USB port would hold up all that great but it should work.

I thought about this but the pair i have turns off automatically while charging.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I thought about this but the pair i have turns off automatically while charging.

Sorry the amazon link isn’t working which pair did you have?

These “should” charge and play

Bluedio T7 Turbine Bluetooth Headphones Custom Active Noise Canceling Over Ear, 57mm Driver Hi-Fi Stereo & 30Hrs Playtime, Wireless Headsets with Mic for PC/Cellphone/Travel/Work, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q71VML6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_f-XxDbEFCB99H

They are going to blow the doors off but they have usb C which is a sturdier port and I mean for 35.99 they are a pretty good buy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The only IEMs anyone needs are Etymotics tbh

They're better than ANC headphones as well

grack
Jan 10, 2012

As long as you don't mind getting your ears violated, sure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I won't argue that triple flange tips sound good.

I will argue about the comfort though. Deep insert IEMs are very much a like/loathe thing and I can't stand them.

Double flange can be okay though and the HIFIMAN ones are quite nice.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I've been looking at various wireless in-ears because I'll upgrade to the next iPhone and will therefore lose the headphone jack - all of them seem to be compromised in some way, however. I'm kind of gravitating towards the Sony WF-1000XM3s, since I already have the WH-1000XM3s, but the lack of splash and sweat resistance is seriously throwing me off. I had a crazy moment last night during which I was suddenly convinced that I should just give up listening to music on my iPhone and get a dedicated digital audio player to use with actual good headphones. Can someone please talk me out of this and point out the current best-in-class wireless in-ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wengy posted:

I've been looking at various wireless in-ears because I'll upgrade to the next iPhone and will therefore lose the headphone jack - all of them seem to be compromised in some way, however. I'm kind of gravitating towards the Sony WF-1000XM3s, since I already have the WH-1000XM3s, but the lack of splash and sweat resistance is seriously throwing me off. I had a crazy moment last night during which I was suddenly convinced that I should just give up listening to music on my iPhone and get a dedicated digital audio player to use with actual good headphones. Can someone please talk me out of this and point out the current best-in-class wireless in-ears?

5-HT posted:

Seems like if you wanted wireless IEMs the Fostex are the appealing option.