Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

Have to admit the LIDO is tempting. In euroland it's 130-150 euros for the Baratza Encore and 195 for the LIDO 3.

My Encore is one of the best investments I've ever made. Have had it for the better part of a decade and it is still going strong on everything from my Silvia to the french press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mango Polo posted:

Have to admit the LIDO is tempting. In euroland it's 130-150 euros for the Baratza Encore and 195 for the LIDO 3.

If you're thinking of manual grinders I would consider the Kinu m47 phoenix. Since it's a German company it might be cheaper for you with VAT and stuff. If I was buying a grinder today it would be that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're thinking of manual grinders I would consider the Kinu m47 phoenix. Since it's a German company it might be cheaper for you with VAT and stuff. If I was buying a grinder today it would be that.

This is the correct answer in Europe. Or find the Chinese knockoff Helor. I still feel stupid for not getting the knockoff for a third the price.
Kinu is solid though.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Speaking of expensive coffee stuff, has anyone used one of these Kone metal Chemex/V60 filters? Are they good/can they replace paper filters, or do they let too much junk through to work for pour-over?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I tried to use one for a year until it got clogged up beyond rescue. And I definitely cleaned and descaled it often. I never really get the infamous papery taste from chemex so it was easy to switch back.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Keret posted:

Speaking of expensive coffee stuff, has anyone used one of these Kone metal Chemex/V60 filters? Are they good/can they replace paper filters, or do they let too much junk through to work for pour-over?

My brother used metal filters for his chemex and aeropress, they allow for larger particle sizes so it makes a cup with more oils and full-bodied flavour. Can't say I was a fan, but he was fine with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keret posted:

It's a little cleaner than french press but it's still really muddy. I don't mind it once in a while. I probably wouldn't purchase it again though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a little cleaner than french press but it's still really muddy. I don't mind it once in a while. I probably wouldn't purchase it again though.

Yeah, this. It’s definitely a different cup from a paper filter, requires a different grind, etc. I use it occasionally and I’ve never felt an urge to get rid of it, but I also wouldn’t replace it were it to be damaged somehow.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have any thoughts on why a French press would be "too easy" to push? Using my Barrata Encore at 28, the grind looks plenty coarse, pour at 195, stir, wait four minutes, and it just goes down with no resistance. New Borum, so I don't think the filter is janky, but ???

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Deathlove posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on why a French press would be "too easy" to push? Using my Barrata Encore at 28, the grind looks plenty coarse, pour at 195, stir, wait four minutes, and it just goes down with no resistance. New Borum, so I don't think the filter is janky, but ???

It might be because the coffee is flowing around the filter screen instead of through it. If all the other conditions are right, then that's the only reason I can think of. Can you make sure the space between the sides of the press and the plunger is tight all the way through when you use it?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

How does the coffee taste though? If it's fine don't worry about it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I used to work for Able (who makes the Kone) and still do some photo/video for them -- the best way to brew with it IMO is pour gently straight down the center for like 95% of the time. Less agitation = less fines. Prob goes against how you make your Kalita or V60 or any other cup of coffee, but idk works well for this method. Also allow the brewed coffee to settle (don't swirl) before serving. The Kone is great if you want a reusable option + like your coffee to have a richer mouthfeel + don't care about some fines. I typically prefer paper filters but I had a Kone brew a few weeks back and was surprised by how much I liked it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Deathlove posted:

I use a French Press all the time for my own coffee at home and whenever that happens for me it's usually because the mesh is messed up somehow or because there aren't enough bean pieces to push down in the first place.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

It might be because the coffee is flowing around the filter screen instead of through it. If all the other conditions are right, then that's the only reason I can think of. Can you make sure the space between the sides of the press and the plunger is tight all the way through when you use it?

Ah! There was a little bend in part of the filter. Smoothed the entire thing and ran it through the press a few times and it looks flush now. We'll see tomorrow!

bizwank posted:

How does the coffee taste though? If it's fine don't worry about it.

Much thinner than I'd expect! No body at all for the most part, even at 11:1.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Great success! Thank you, There Bias Two of the dead comedy forums.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
The links for roasters in the OP are expired. I have found some roasters in that range but need to research more... I'm interested in buying a roaster to do somewhere between 100lbs of coffee per day to 1000lbs per week for my startup project...

Some of the ones I have looked at are:

Home Roasting
Behmor Drum Roaster: https://www.amazon.com/Behmor-5400-Customizable-Coffee-Roaster/dp/B00PKEZ3M6
Ikawa At Home: https://www.ikawacoffee.com/at-home/

"Pro"
Hottop KN-8828B-2-K+ Digital Drum Roaster: https://www.roastmasters.com/hottop2Kplus.html or https://www.hottopusa.com/
Huky 500: http://www.thepeoplesroast.com/huky/

I'm really interested on the Hottop although I know a few people recommend the Huky 500 as well. I am shopping in the price range of $1000 - $1600 +/-

Any thoughts on these?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tempus Thales posted:

The links for roasters in the OP are expired. I have found some roasters in that range but need to research more... I'm interested in buying a roaster to do somewhere between 100lbs of coffee per day to 1000lbs per week for my startup project...

Home Roasting
Behmor Drum Roaster: https://www.amazon.com/Behmor-5400-Customizable-Coffee-Roaster/dp/B00PKEZ3M6

"Pro"
Hottop KN-8828B-2-K+ Digital Drum Roaster: https://www.roastmasters.com/hottop2Kplus.html or https://www.hottopusa.com/

I'm really interested on the Hottop although I know a few people recommend the Huky 500 as well. I am shopping in the price range of $1000 - $1600 +/-

Any thoughts on these?

Just a thought but I wouldn’t buy anything for home use if you’re planning on 100 pounds a day...

Paging MasterControl to the thread.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tempus Thales posted:

Home Roasting

"Pro"

Any thoughts on these?

You probably als need to bump your price range by 10x - 20x for that volume.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

there’s no way you’re putting out 1000#/week with a countertop roaster a pound at a time or whatever the hell

edit: i am also powerfully curious what your startup business plan consists of that involves a tiny consumer roaster and a thousand pounds of roasted coffee per week

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 22, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
This post is mostly just self indulgence in picture form, but I've been roasting in my little air popper I got from Sweet Maria's for the last couple of weeks and have been getting used to its quirks and what to look for. It's a lot of fun! It's hard to know when a certain level of roast is reached, though. I aim for City or C+, but the length of time that beans are popping for during the first crack is so long that it's hard to know when it really stops, so I'm having to do a lot of blind guessing for timing. Here are a few of my most recent roasts; it's hard to capture their exact color on a photograph, but do they look even enough, and somewhere in the range of what I'm going for?

Colombia Arroyo Chuscal | Trying for City

Kenya Meru Highlands | Trying for City+

El Salvador La Esperanza Decaf | Trying for City+/Full City

grahm posted:

I used to work for Able (who makes the Kone) and still do some photo/video for them -- the best way to brew with it IMO is pour gently straight down the center for like 95% of the time. Less agitation = less fines. Prob goes against how you make your Kalita or V60 or any other cup of coffee, but idk works well for this method. Also allow the brewed coffee to settle (don't swirl) before serving. The Kone is great if you want a reusable option + like your coffee to have a richer mouthfeel + don't care about some fines. I typically prefer paper filters but I had a Kone brew a few weeks back and was surprised by how much I liked it.

Thanks for the info on this! I might check it out, then. Does it do small (5oz-ish) cups okay?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

nwin posted:

Was going to say, he's been doing great stuff and scaling steadily for like two years. Definitely the person to talk to if you're looking at starting a roasting company.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Keret posted:

Thanks for the info on this! I might check it out, then. Does it do small (5oz-ish) cups okay?

The sweet spot in my opinion is about 20-24 oz (coffee for two or three), though I have done smaller cups in it. If that was my main use though, I'd get something else (Aeropress maybe?).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nwin posted:

Just a thought but I wouldn’t buy anything for home use if you’re planning on 100 pounds a day...

Yeah, none of those options will do that volume. They all roast in one pound or less batches. Between roasting and cooling the beans, you probably need around 30 min per cycle. Even if you ran it with literally no stopping, which would destroy any of them, you couldn't even roast half that volume in a 24 hour period.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I want to make cappuccinos at home- normally I’m using my stainless steel French press. I buy my coffee from the store in whole bean form and grind it with a blade grinder. I normally get the fair trade stuff because I think it tastes better, but I’ve been considering looking for a local roaster.

From what I’ve read in this thread I feel like an absolute coffee layperson, so I’m wondering if one of the lovely espresso machines at Target would be enough for me. I definitely don’t have $2000 for a new grinder, double boiler, etc.

If I’ve never tasted the really good stuff, should it matter I don’t have more than bottom-tier gear? I mean, I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m having to re-but cheap poo poo because it keeps breaking, but the whole espresso machine market is intimidating as gently caress so I don’t even know where to start.

Help me coffee gods

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nespresso all the way for the normies

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Moka pot coffee is not quite espresso, but the equipment is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tempus Thales posted:

Home Roasting

"Pro"

Any thoughts on these?

Can’t you just rent a commercial roaster at a local place? The Bodhi Leaf near me has a big Dietrich roaster that sits idle most of the time, and nearly every time I’ve seen it in use, it’s by someone renting it for a few hours to roast their own batch, even for commercial use.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I want to make cappuccinos at home- normally I’m using my stainless steel French press. I buy my coffee from the store in whole bean form and grind it with a blade grinder. I normally get the fair trade stuff because I think it tastes better, but I’ve been considering looking for a local roaster.

From what I’ve read in this thread I feel like an absolute coffee layperson, so I’m wondering if one of the lovely espresso machines at Target would be enough for me. I definitely don’t have $2000 for a new grinder, double boiler, etc.

If I’ve never tasted the really good stuff, should it matter I don’t have more than bottom-tier gear? I mean, I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m having to re-but cheap poo poo because it keeps breaking, but the whole espresso machine market is intimidating as gently caress so I don’t even know where to start.

Help me coffee gods

I mean by buying/grinding your own beans and using a french press, you're already a step up. Skip the espresso machine, and save up for a Good (Burr) Coffee Grinder, be it either a hand-grinder or an electric. The benefit is twofold: blade grinders are harsher on beans (more friction/heat to get them down to size) which can have a minor effect on taste, but more importantly, consistency. A blade grinder gets you a hodgepodge of varying bean pieces and dust, a burr grinder keeps things much more uniform and less dusty.

For a french press, this has two nice benefits: Less dust means a little less sludge and bite, but again and more importantly: Consistency means easier adjustment to taste. Brew a little too strong or weak? Grind everything a little finer/coarser next time and see how it is.

In general, this will be a decent step up for your current coffee setup/quality with room to grow further in the future.

In terms of home cappuccino, which was your actual/original question, you can get an electric or stovetop milk steamer/frother for 80-100 bucks to get you that hot dense milkfoam you crave. That, combined with some strong french press brew (or dropping another 20-40 on a Moka Pot for stovetop "espresso") will get you some decent quality caffeinated goodness without going full home hobby barista. But I strongly suggest a nicer grinder first.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

nwin posted:

not considering the home roasters for the startup...

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Mr. Mambold posted:

You probably als need to bump your price range by 10x - 20x for that volume.

No, I had been reading that up to 1000 lbs I can use a roaster between $1600 - $2700 If I did 1000 lbs per day, then i'd be looking at 5k lbs roasters, but im no where there yet. That is why I was considering the Huky500 and the hottop.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can’t you just rent a commercial roaster at a local place? The Bodhi Leaf near me has a big Dietrich roaster that sits idle most of the time, and nearly every time I’ve seen it in use, it’s by someone renting it for a few hours to roast their own batch, even for commercial use.

I looked into that, but there is no one around me who is renting their roaster, and I would still need to bring my own pan and tumbler... The other thing is I have a pretty decent basement and I have already allocated space to use a roaster there with an exhaust, so space-wise im good if I run my own roaster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put a propane burner under a cement mixer. $250. Done.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tempus Thales posted:

No, I had been reading that up to 1000 lbs I can use a roaster between $1600 - $2700 If I did 1000 lbs per day, then i'd be looking at 5k lbs roasters, but im no where there yet. That is why I was considering the Huky500 and the hottop.

how do you figure on cranking out ~100 batches per day with either of those?

the hottop barely does half a pound at a time, so more like 150/day

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Put a propane burner under a cement mixer. $250. Done.

I like the cut of your jibe, sir.

r/ANormalDayInRussia

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tempus Thales posted:

Again, both of those cap out at around a pound per batch. It is physically not possible to roast 100lbs per day in either of them, unless you live on a planet with more than 24 hours in a day. I wouldn't be buying anything that did maybe less than 5lbs at a time and even then you're looking at 20 batches. 10lb batches would probably be more ideal. I'd look at used larger roasters if I were you.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I want to make cappuccinos at home- normally I’m using my stainless steel French press. I buy my coffee from the store in whole bean form and grind it with a blade grinder. I normally get the fair trade stuff because I think it tastes better, but I’ve been considering looking for a local roaster. ...

Help me coffee gods
I've recently started cappuccinos at home with a stovetop steamer, lever operated machine, and a bad burr grinder. It is kind of involved, so not great if you need to get going fast.

The consistency of my espresso shots are all over the place along the spectrum from acidic to bitter, but once steamed milk is added it always tastes good. Different each day, but good. (I suspect both inconsistent grind and tamping are to blame)

First you should ask yourself if you have time in the morning to add a ritual. Then, no matter what your answer is, throw away the blade grinder.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 23, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

grahm posted:

The sweet spot in my opinion is about 20-24 oz (coffee for two or three), though I have done smaller cups in it. If that was my main use though, I'd get something else (Aeropress maybe?).

Good to know. Due to my body getting hella sensitive to caffeine and being on meds, I'm effectively limited to 6 oz or so of coffee at a time (I discovered this by giving myself some gnarly insomnia as I figured out how much I can have).

A lot of people recommend the Aeropress but I've been reluctant to get one for a long time for whatever reason. Maybe I'll look into it. For now my V60, and even the Chemex with a V60 filter, work pretty well for small cups.

Separately, what grinder/brewer combo do you all use for travel? I'll be traveling for 3 weeks in the winter and I intend to take some of my roasted coffee to prepare for friends who I'm staying with at the beginning of the trip. Previously I've traveled with my Moka Pot, but that was because it was given to me as a gift while already traveling. I love that it is effectively indestructible, but it needs a burner which can be problematic.

I'm leaning towards the Porlex Mini or the Hario Mini for the grinder. I like that the Porlex is stainless steel, but Hario seems to make good stuff. Can anyone comment on those two, or other tiny-format grinders for travel?

As for the brewer, I'm considering the Aeropress but honestly I don't like the design very much. If it's way better than other options for traveling I'll probably pick one up though. I love my V60, but its finickiness with pouring kind of rules it out. I've been meaning to check out the Kalita Wave; would a small version of the metal style be a good choice?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thank you all for the advice. First thing is I’m looking into a new grinder. After that we’ll see if I continue my descent all with the rest of you degenerate cultists.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Keret posted:

As for the brewer, I'm considering the Aeropress but honestly I don't like the design very much.

Get an aeropress. It travels great.

Using an aeropress for my small daily intake of coffee has ruined other methods of making coffee at home. It is dead simple and makes a great cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Following up on the espresso question but is it worth it start with a Breville Duo-Temp Pro? I’m mostly a V60 guy and am currently using a Virtuoso as my main grinder. I also have a LIDO 3 and am curious about getting into espresso.