Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Hee-hoo-hoo-hee-ha, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

If you had turned around on the high platform in the Dinosewer, there was a small switch to shoot that unlocks two fuel cells.

The whole "planet splitting apart" plot point didn't exist in Dinosaur Planet, it was introduced entirely to justify Arwing sections, I'd imagine. The SpellStones just enabled Scales to drain energy from the planet or something. The guardians always existed, but instead of allowing passage to the planet chunks (which you couldn't reach before because ???) they were required to activate the SpellStones, which seems less convoluted. What is even the timeline in Adventures? For the planet chunks to leave the planet, Scales needs to have removed the SpellStones, but if he removed the SpellStones, why are they on the planet chunks and oh look I've gone cross-eyed

Actually, I've just realized, what is even Scales' plan here? What does he gain from causing the planet he's trying to conquer to blow up? The plot changes between Dinosaur Planet and Adventures have made his entire plan completely nonsensical

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Procrastine posted:

Actually, I've just realized, what is even Scales' plan here? What does he gain from causing the planet he's trying to conquer to blow up? The plot changes between Dinosaur Planet and Adventures have made his entire plan completely nonsensical

It's Megatron-style tyrannical rule.

'I'll use any and all methods to get everyone to obey my rule, for starters lets blow up the planet half way to show how serious I am and how foolish it is to defy me!'

It doesn't make sense. It's not supposed to.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

'I'll use any and all methods to get everyone to obey my rule, for starters lets blow up the planet half way to show how serious I am and how foolish it is to defy me!'

In a vacuum, I'd be mostly fine with his plan not making sense, it's the fact that an earlier revision of the plot had it make sense that gets me. The beta plot outline doesn't go into it too much but I imagine the idea originally would be "the planet is drained of magic energy and that's bad, but Scales won't live long enough to suffer the consequences of this". Standard Shinra/oil executive stuff.

I just find the transition from Dinosaur Planet to Adventures fascinating. The gameplay was never going to be good, things like the sleeping mammoth and the decision to have currency run away from you would always have been there, but the plot would have been far more coherent (and the original lategame plot sounds far better and more interesting than what we actually got, though that'll have to wait until later).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It might be faster to starve them to death.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: If you smack Tricky enough, he will actually try to retaliate by using his Flame ability on you. You can actually abuse this to get him to use it when you want to without using up any of his energy meter.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Wait what this game is rated T in America? It was 3+ in Europe.
"Animated Blood, Mild Violence"
Weird, I don't remember any blood in this game.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

These literally fire-breathing dinosaurs being held captive by lizards that are all smaller than them (Tricky's a lovely baby so of course he's tiny) wielding some janky clubs. Just like the mammoths that are so large that even just lifting a bunch of sharpclaw with their trunk and throwing them beating them into the wall/ground should be entirely trivial.

But no, it takes a space-faring fox with a stick he picked up on the ground somewhere to free them. And he doesn't even want to be there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe it's because the mammoths have to eat every five goddamn minutes or starve to death, and yet somehow don't have the ability to move faster than glacial drift.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fox the fox and Tricky the gently caress.

Also Mastedon was counted as a DinoZord.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 31, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
looking it up, Star Fox Adventures had two composers: one is David Wise, while the other is Ben Cullum (a guy who, assuming his imdb isn't incomplete, only other musical contribution to Rare was being one of the musicians in the orchestra for the redone soundtrack for Conker: Live and Reloaded), who's mostly done voices for Rare games during this era. He voiced a buncha characters in this game in particular, and was the english voice of Falco in Melee in the easter egg Corneria taunts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fox's attitude of "I'm not even supposed to be here today" fits with the way Rare made this game

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fox's attitude of "I'm not even supposed to be here today" fits with the way Rare made this game

It's like Clerks got a furry revival

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
God I forgot how often that "Item Get!" animation plays in this game. I knew it was a lot, but it's a loooooot. How/why the hell did I play through this game twice?

Also if you look closely during that ice-melting scene you can see a bat get killed by flying too close to the fire that you just lit lol

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 2, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

C-Euro posted:

God I forgot how often that "Item Get!" animation plays in this game. I knew it was a lot, but it's a loooooot. How/why the hell did I play through this game twice?

Also if you look closely during that ice-melting scene you can see a bat get killed by flying too close to the fire that you just lit lol

It's actually the bat he killed earlier respawning because the animation and sound is very similar for some reason. Also because respawning bats was something that needed to be added.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This and last week's part were recorded when my Spring allergies were at their worst, and this is the point where I got especially surly. I apologized to Yoshi for it afterward, but I think my lack of patience with everything turned out funnier than meaner.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

This and last week's part were recorded when my Spring allergies were at their worst, and this is the point where I got especially surly. I apologized to Yoshi for it afterward, but I think my lack of patience with everything turned out funnier than meaner.

Yeah, this episode just once again cements you as the pillar that supports this entire group. You fall apart and you take everyone with you in the process. It was funny as hell listening to no one know how to handle it, from my perspective though. I'm glad you got over your allergies quickly(? I have no idea how long between recordings these two were) though. Being sick sucks and having pollen kicking your rear end is a close second.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

Never mind that if he actually did have some grandiose plan that involved harnessing the planet's energy like your average cartoon supervillain, it's entirely plausible that he might have to disable the safety system in place to get the amount he wanted.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Fox finally gets to the Krazoa Palace. Let's see where everything goes wrong!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Best moment in any Nintendo game.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Since you're not buying maps, you could switch the map display with the d-pad to display the names of nearby enemies. Now you can learn about the... Kalda Chom? The gargoyle things are called Bloops? What the hell are these names?

You glossed over it because you were dunking on Tricky (always a good time), but the WarpStone on DINOSAUR Planet cannot warp dinosaurs. What does he even do when space foxes aren't around. This is why no one brings you gifts!

"But how do I get mine in there?" - Fox McCloud, 2002

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
With all the "you'll learn to love it" I feel like this is turning into Jacob's 1984

quote:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Prince Tricky.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Procrastine posted:

Since you're not buying maps, you could switch the map display with the d-pad to display the names of nearby enemies. Now you can learn about the... Kalda Chom? The gargoyle things are called Bloops? What the hell are these names?

You glossed over it because you were dunking on Tricky (always a good time), but the WarpStone on DINOSAUR Planet cannot warp dinosaurs. What does he even do when space foxes aren't around. This is why no one brings you gifts!

"But how do I get mine in there?" - Fox McCloud, 2002
The worldbuilding stuff is very inconsistent which I'm sure has a lot to do with the fact that this was not going to be a Star Fox game until the last minute

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

The worldbuilding stuff is very inconsistent which I'm sure has a lot to do with the fact that this was not going to be a Star Fox game until the last minute

Yeah, in this case the WarpStone was originally two SwapStones you used to switch characters between Krystal and Saber.

Fun fact about the switch to Star Fox: There's unused text in the game for the cutscene where Fox first rescues Tricky on Ice Mountain where Fox calls himself a "Royal Knight of the Lylat System", presumably because of find/replacing "from the planet Animus" with "of the Lylat System". There's footage of the N64 version of this cutscene that backs up this theory.

I don't think Dinosaur Planet was going to be a masterpiece of storytelling or anything, but it does make me sad to see it became this weird inconsistent mess. Imagine the timeline where it was released and had Beyond Good And Evil cult classic status (insert joke about BGAE 2 here). The gameplay was always going to be of this quality though, even in early videos the "find switch hidden on the ceiling" non-puzzle is used all over the place.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That moment (and every moment) where Fox lays eyes on Krystal will always be the funniest poo poo. Jacob's reaction was perfect.

Also I'm one of the people who actually likes this game, though that may be because it's the only Starfox game I've ever played.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sexy sax has me coming around on this game actually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a shame this game is just repurposed assets from another game. They could've done so much more with the staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-pPuMgYug

And also split it into two like DareDevil's.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm curious, the audio bug you point out at the end there, it seems to happen fairly consistently in Dolphin and we're wondering if it could be disc timing related. Could you perhaps tell us what kind of console you're playing this on -- launch GC, late GC, launch Wii, late Wii, anything else?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm curious, the audio bug you point out at the end there, it seems to happen fairly consistently in Dolphin and we're wondering if it could be disc timing related. Could you perhaps tell us what kind of console you're playing this on -- launch GC, late GC, launch Wii, late Wii, anything else?

He modded and homebrewed his Wii U for it, so you could have a point there.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Okay, thanks for the info!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The cutscene that launched a thousand furries.

I had somehow completely forgotten about this entire section in Moon Mountain. Also our Krazoa "friend" didn't say hey when Fox was in the Palace like they said they would :colbert:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Good, more reasons Tricky sucks. Luckily that means we drop him partway through.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

All the convoluted area transitions are there to mask loading times. Of course, they end up taking far longer to cross than a loading screen would take. The wall plants are called "Venus Foxtrap" because names are hard.

With CloudRunner Fortress, there's finally Dinosaur Planet facts to share again. As said in the video, originally Krystal went through this area with Kyte, a young CloudRunner who served as her equivalent of Tricky (but less annoying). Scales killed the queen instead of putting her in a cage. The pachycephalosaurus in the prison was a SpellStone Guardian (most of these were converted to Gatekeepers in the transition to Adventures, they were dinosaurs with the ability to control SpellStone energy or something).

Speaking of the pachycephalosaurus, his name is Gradabug and he is the only member of the BoneHead tribe in the game. No, seriously, that's the name they chose.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Despite knowing why at least some of the design is scattered it remains frustrating to even see. I don't even mean stuff like "Find XYZ for person that would be able to find them easier themselves" but having to just run around looking for something to interact with or the disguise-only barrel. Just so many little things that somehow add up to feel worse than if it was just one big bad thing.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

The sound the security drones make when they got caught up in the wind gusts is the same sound as one of my phone's alarms and I had to do a double take when it happened.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

The sound the security drones make when they got caught up in the wind gusts is the same sound as one of my phone's alarms and I had to do a double take when it happened.
There is a lot of use of stock sounds in this game

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I recorded an update for our channel on current and upcoming LPs, so I'll share it here since it's relevant. Enjoy my bed hair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmJGM_oQgA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When I first played this game as a kid, I kept expecting the WarpStone to "warp" Fox by closing his fist and just hucking him clean over the horizon to your destination.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When I first played this game as a kid, I kept expecting the WarpStone to "warp" Fox by closing his fist and just hucking him clean over the horizon to your destination.

... That would have been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
With the current warpstone animation I kept expecting a zany 'POP' noise every time it happened.

It was a constant disappointment.