Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Somehow the top marginal tax rate being 70-90% until the 1980s resulting in an era of much less wealth inequality compared to the Gilded Age and today always slips the minds of the Very Informed people at institutions like NPR when discussing tax policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
* another right-wing terrorist shoots up the place

* I spend my show lightly hand-wringing about southern tropes in entertainment.

Edit:
* the Episcopal leadership of the National Cathedral has taken the unprecedented step of publicly denouncing the president's racism.

* I spent 20 minutes talking about my visit to some lady in Maine who makes clam Pizza

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 31, 2019

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Today on This American Life we look at a middle class women who had a panic attack and then turned her emotional toil into a successful business funded by her millionaire hedgefund dad. We also do a story where we suggest that people who claim ssi do to disabilities through manual labour are really just moochers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
maybe stop slobbering on nazi dicks, stop refusing to call things what they are, and stop constantly seeking the middle ground (really constantly seeking the center-right ground). might be a few steps in the right direction

the sad thing is that NPR is that despite all this, NPR is still one of the best sources of news in the country

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Hi I'm Peter Seagal and we're going to ask you a bunch of questions while Paula Poundstone makes fun of you

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Is Paula Poundstone a child molester or not? Surely there is a middle ground here.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cessna posted:

Is Paula Poundstone a child molester or not? Surely there is a middle ground here.

quote:

In October 2001, Poundstone was charged with felony child endangerment in connection with driving while intoxicated with children in the car. She was also charged with three counts of lewd acts upon a girl younger than 14.[11] She changed her earlier plea of not guilty, and, in exchange, prosecutors dropped three counts of committing lewd acts against a child and added a misdemeanor count of inflicting injury upon a child.[11][12] Poundstone also pleaded no contest to one count of felony child endangerment.[12] She was sentenced to probation and six months in rehabilitation and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.[12] In 2002, Poundstone talked about her personal responsibility for the events that led to her arrest and the steps she has taken, including a six-month treatment program for alcoholism, but said that she did not commit any lewd acts or child abuse.

She got caught driving drunk with kids in the car, pleads "no contest" (which means you are not saying you did but also not saying you didn't) and then later says, "Well sorry everyone, i was drunk at the time!".

I guess its a matter for the courts if she did or didn't but gently caress her for putting kids in these situations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bonzo posted:

I guess its a matter for the courts if she did or didn't but gently caress her for putting kids in these situations.

Yeah, that's more than enough for me to turn off the radio when she's on.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Ashmole posted:

Hi I'm Peter Seagal and we're going to ask you a bunch of questions while Paula Poundstone makes fun of you

The show is good but the quality varies wildly by panelist. For example, there's no reason for Mo Rocca to be on the radio at any time.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cessna posted:

Yeah, that's more than enough for me to turn off the radio when she's on.

Mo Rocca
Paula Poundstone

Is NPR where former Comedy Central personalities go to die? Good think Marc Maron has his own thing going.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

*state lawmaker goes on unhinged rant about white people being replaced by criminal minorities*

NPR: Later today we'll be lobbing softballs at a state lawmaker facing controversy over statements some are calling racially charged

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Also NPR: But is it really racism? Is it the partisan divide that's the real problem?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 5, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

NPR: We just want to be liked

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

I'm howie menshevik and here's my take on the subtle biblical allegories hidden in the secret life of pets 2

I will break down doors to get into a room with him on the radio so I can turn it off. Film critics are all mostly poo poo but that man is like a Portlandia caricature of how poo poo they are.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cessna posted:

Also NPR: But is it really racism? If is the partisan divide that's the real problem?
Today on Local LA News, a black child was shot last week in Compton. We'll speak with the Chief of Police on why protesters shutting down the 110 Friday morning is an act of violence that necessitated the use of SWAT cars.

Later, a bunch of NIMBY fucks vetoed a Homeless Shelter in Koreatown last year. Now, why local leaders are up in arms about the growth in homeless populations and the city's inaction. You'll hear from a resident that was very much against "those people" bring "crime, drug use and those kinds of problems "to Koreatown, and how he now gives sandwiches to homeless people and maybe holds up a "KTOWN Chooses LOVE" poster to show he cares.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

IM A HOUSE MINORITY REPRESENTATIVE AND I HOPE YOU ENJOY BEING TALKED OVER YOU SPINELESS SAD MILQUETOAST EXCUSE FOR A MORNING NEWS HOST

Sir can we just talk abou

NO! SUCK MY COCK!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Play posted:

maybe stop slobbering on nazi dicks, stop refusing to call things what they are, and stop constantly seeking the middle ground (really constantly seeking the center-right ground). might be a few steps in the right direction

the sad thing is that NPR is that despite all this, NPR is still one of the best sources of news in the country

Pretty much. Though in the not SA world NPR is an evil lefty boogeyman. One that Thursday took a nice big poo poo on Mitch McConnell the man whose existence makes turtles lame. (Like they were legit fair in the way this thread mocks them and it basically made him look like an even bigger piece of poo poo than I thought!)

*Anyhow this is Snap Judgement and I am your host, crazy guy who makes up more bullshit about my life than every lying kid you knew in Elementary School combined. And look forward to our Spooked podcast where I invent more wacky poo poo for Halloween because I am huffing paint fumes!*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Rufus posted:

Pretty much. Though in the not SA world NPR is an evil lefty boogeyman. One that Thursday took a nice big poo poo on Mitch McConnell the man whose existence makes turtles lame. (Like they were legit fair in the way this thread mocks them and it basically made him look like an even bigger piece of poo poo than I thought!)

*Anyhow this is Snap Judgement and I am your host, crazy guy who makes up more bullshit about my life than every lying kid you knew in Elementary School combined. And look forward to our Spooked podcast where I invent more wacky poo poo for Halloween because I am huffing paint fumes!*

That's the whole rub, NPR and centrist liberals in general are constantly desperately trying to silence and marginalise anyone to their left and suck up to the right wing that already considers them universally to be hippie communists and will never be dissuaded.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dale-Taco posted:

*leans in uncomfortably close to a microphone without a pop filter*

*smacks lips and swallows*

*more spit smacking noises than talking*

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Please donate money to us in your will instead of giving it to your famil

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

We’re gonna go ahead and dedicate several segments that seriously investigate the right wing allegation that video games have something to do with mass shooting murders rather than quickly identify them as the last minute distractions that they clearly are.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
This is Fresh Air, I'm very gross

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Host: Hi there, I'm Spazz McFroodle and tonight I'm here with Vigo Mordenschiesser, an oil executive with controlling shares in Balegaze-Hatedrinker Industries, one of the government's most influential weapons manufacturers. So tell me, Vigo, I understand that you donate a sizable portion of your wealth to needy children overseas?

Guest: But of course. In a growing global economy we can't ignore the role of successful men in bringing prosperity to war-stricken countries. With the schools and infrastructure loans I provide, the children will grow up to be productive members of society, and will be able to do their part to manufacture goods and provide useful services to the world, and at a fraction of the cost of domestic workers. And that's Mr. Mordenschiesser, Spazz.

Host: You know, certain radical elements have suggested you're profiting from your generosity, that you're encouraging children abroad to train in STEM fields in order to lower the wages of American engineers, technicians, and all that. What have you got to say about that?

Guest: That's pure projection on the part of the liberals. I'm bringing education and, ultimately, civilization to impoverished villages. When they work in my factories and my call centers, they're making the world a better place while earning an honest living, and at the same time I'm making enough profit to put back into more projects. Bit by bit my success is making more success. What services are Bernie Sanders and his globalist thugs contributing, hm? They want to take what we have earned and give to people who have earned nothing. While some of the more... let's call them "hyperbolic" conservatives say they do it out of some evil plot, I happen to think they mean well, that they care, but also that they have no understanding of the way things are. It'd be great if everyone could just get along, if nobody was lazy and people could understand their place in the world, but that's not how things work, that's not how they'll ever work, and we have to find out how to make things fit the status quo.

Host: You're absolutely right. If we just went around changing things all the time, who knows what would happen?

Guest: Bread-lines, Spazz. Enslaved healthcare providers. Gulags and guillotines. And when the radicals and the thugs have finished killing the geese who lay the golden eggs, they'll turn on each other. Give these Antifa punks a chance and we'll have the equality they want -- we'll all be poor wretches, scrabbling in the mud and crushed beneath Sharia law.

Host: You know, Vigo, if only more people would understand that the issues we're up against need bipartisanship. All this name-calling, all this discontent -- if we would stop paying so much attention to it things would get better. After all, a wound can't heal if you keep picking at the scab, right?

Guest: I told you to call me Mr. Mordenschiesser, and yes, I agree, there needs to be more compromise. The radical left has had its way for too long and it's about time it stopped oppressing the workers with its meaningless and toxic regulations. The only reason I have to rely so heavily on overseas labor instead of good old fashioned American products and services is because the government is too quick to suppress the need to excel in its workers. Want to work off the clock to take the load off your fellow workers and to prove to your boss how much you care? You can't, it's illegal. Do you want to ignore superfluous and inane safety procedures in order to do your job more quickly and efficiently? You can't, it's illegal. Do you want to keep the workers under you from wasting their wages on union dues and to give them an incentive to protect their rights as workers?

Host: You can't, it's illegal.

Guest: Exactly! So that's why I'm investing money overseas. I'm sowing the seeds of a new crop of workers free to put one-hundred-and-ten-percent of its effort into their careers and to prove to the soft Participation-Trophy generation that there's nothing wrong with a little elbow grease and a little sweat. And you know what? Unlike here in the states, these countries understand that children need the discipline and the liberation of finance that can only be given by a good, solid day's work.

Host: Thank you for both your time here today and for the risks you're taking, sir. While many of our viewers may disagree with your parts of your philosophy, I can see that we have the same goals in mind, and it's only through teamwork can we make the world a better place.

Guest: You're quite welcome.

Host: Next we're going to speak with billionaire and Democratic presidential candidate Fremble Snorbit and his radical plan to remove the so-called "social safety net" that's been keeping his fellow queer black men tangled and enslaved.

Guest: You know, Democrats started the KKK.

Host: That we did, and we will never forget it.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Bodyholes posted:

*more spit smacking noises than talking*

You want the ASMR thread. this is the NPR thread.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm going to get my guest to regurgitate trump talking points that China is "cheating", they're underhanded, and they're "manipulating their currency" in Bad Ways and I'm going to uncritically accept them.

This is Here and Now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm going to get my guest to regurgitate trump talking points that China is "cheating", they're underhanded, and they're "manipulating their currency" in Bad Ways and I'm going to uncritically accept them.

This is Here and Now.

lmao especially in light of trump's china tweets today, I wonder how NPR will respond

Also, David Koch is dead, here's hoping you're not in the will, NPR

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Code Jockey posted:

lmao especially in light of trump's china tweets today, I wonder how NPR will respond

This is Morning Edition with Sheleigh Mcdowd-Enchirrito. The nation is in mourning over the sudden loss David Koch, described by some as the foremost philanthropist and entrepreneur of our times. In the next 30 minutes, we'll examine his influential reach and the next steps to keep his legacy alive.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
boy all those wildfires in the amazon, sure is nuts huh? hate to get political here but i heard there's a connection to the brazilian president somehow? oh he says that his political opponents are somehow starting these fires?? wow huh, how about that. alright, over to some other irrelevant bullshit on morning edition, my name is steve inskeep and my career is a continuing mockery of the concepts of news reporting and journalism

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Soap Scum posted:

Is it this? This is what we know about A Prairie Home Companion

For some reason I can't find it on the original tumblr anymore

That is crazy accurate

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

That is crazy accurate

Right?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1164882685472452608?s=21

nut
Jul 30, 2019

hi welcome to npr national public radio a government funded entity here to serve to people would you lke to buy a casper mattress or how about harrys razer blades or how about meundies ok back to a story about how a young boy named Ezra took a big poo poo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
*a long sustained scream of visceral dread with the rapid schlop-schlop-schlop of wet, vigorous jerking off in the background ending with a gunshot, then soft, breathless panting*

This has been Car Talk.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

phi·lan·thro·pist
/fəˈlanTHrəpəst/
noun
a person who seeks to promote the welfare of others, especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m Steven Dubner and this has been my interview with Charles Koch, one of the most controversial figures in the political world today. I avoided all talk of the billions of dollars Charles and his brother David funneled into anti-environmental causes and climate change denial so that I could feel better about being an upper middle class white male. You know what I came away from this interview with? The Koch Brothers are actually good. This has been Freakonomics.

-hip musical interlude-

Got an idea of how to make rich people feel better about being rich? Email is your ideas and we may do an episode about it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*sitting in the doctor's office. Doctor comes in grimacing*

Me, Peter Sagal: Wait wait, don't tell me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

yeah that's about right

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Ultra Carp

Stinky_Pete posted:

hahaha

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

"Guys. Post some band. I don't care how obscure or ephemeral they are. We're still a radio lol."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Stinky_Pete posted:

This is what happens in my brain every time she comes on lol