Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If they wanted to really to sell the cynicism of corporations doing "social" stuff in 2019, they should have had Homelander parade around with a rainbow flag cape for a month instead of going to PrayAwayTheGay-Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GigaPeon posted:

If they wanted to really to sell the cynicism of corporations doing "social" stuff in 2019, they should have had Homelander parade around with a rainbow flag cape for a month instead of going to PrayAwayTheGay-Con.

true capitalism-man would do both

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

Yeah, that's one of the things where the story really shows its age. Big public-facing corporations being a bulwark of social conservatism is a very pre-Obama sort of thing.

On the other hand, this is a society where ubermenschen playing police have largely supplanted sport/music/movie stars as America's icons and role models. So it probably makes some sense that it would skew more conservative.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

I guess you never visited the US bible belt?

Pretty hilarious driving along the highway see things like mega-church ads and anti-abortion billboards.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

GigaPeon posted:

The people who have a hard-on for the military aren't typically the LGBTQ supporting types.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Raytheon and Boeing and Northrup-Grumman are falling all over themselves to demonstrate that they support Pride and women in STEM.

Like any other big company--like Disney, specifically--Vought would create different products to serve each audience and rely on most people not to connect the dots in any meaningful way. It's not like the major news networks are going to point it out.

VVV Then there's Haim Sabam, who believes "Palestinian people" is an oxymoron.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 23, 2019

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

The believe festival was especially dated but it’s also worth remembering that Isaac “all black people look the same” Perlmutter was running Marvel studios as recently as 2015. There are plenty of reactionaries still running Hollywood and corporate America.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think The Deep has appeared in any way remorseful over pressuring Starlight into sex at any point.

He only seems sad about his loss of status.

They could just as easily move on from his character entirely and have him essentially vanish from the show except to appear in the odd lobster killing joke scene.

Did the event with him making Starlight give him a hummer happen in the comics?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

etalian posted:

I guess you never visited the US bible belt?

Pretty hilarious driving along the highway see things like mega-church ads and anti-abortion billboards.

But also don't see Disney doing those things. Didn't Chris Pratt get momentarily Cancelled just for going to a church that was less than progressive?

Starks posted:

The believe festival was especially dated but it’s also worth remembering that Isaac “all black people look the same” Perlmutter was running Marvel studios as recently as 2015. There are plenty of reactionaries still running Hollywood and corporate America.

That would be a great place to show the hypocrisy, wouldn't? Have the heroes preach about inclusivity to the public, but be a bunch of jerks behind closed doors?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

More like they directly fund anti-lgbtq legislation and possibly “pray away the gay poo poo”

gently caress church and anyone religious in general though. It’s ok to hate people who do nothing but spread hate themselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander Jr as the only being able to take down his father makes too much sense for them not to do, but I fully expect Homelander to prevail in that situation, should it ever occur, and then really be full on crazy bonkers.

YES.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can I just say I appreciate that the show runs way faster than I thought it might. I.e. Hugie stops seeing ghostguilt pretty quickly.

Bust Rodd posted:

Whether or not you read it that way, the gill rape scene is 100% there so the Deep can finally see how it feels to be powerless, and I felt like that scene is meant to catalyze The Deep into some kind of change.

That is actually one of the really cool parts of the show: the endless swap of power dynamics.
He's already felt that. Both times Homelander sit him down there's a very, very palpable reminder that he needs to stay in his loving lane and not think he's too big for his speedo-lined britches.

That scene's there to show how he doesn't have Vought's clout to protect him and prop him up anymore.

But totally agree with the power dynamics thing being great for the show.

PostNouveau posted:

The doctor pointedly saying Homelander should have been raised with a parent makes me think that Becca is in cahoots with Vought and they planned for the kid to be a "debugged" replacement for Homelander.
Yeah that was definitely a red flag statement. We'll see if the kid holds his own or is just another attachment he can toss aside.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zwabu posted:

I don't think The Deep has appeared in any way remorseful over pressuring Starlight into sex at any point.

He only seems sad about his loss of status.

They could just as easily move on from his character entirely and have him essentially vanish from the show except to appear in the odd lobster killing joke scene.

Did the event with him making Starlight give him a hummer happen in the comics?

Yes, but it was Homelander.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Harton posted:

More like they directly fund anti-lgbtq legislation and possibly “pray away the gay poo poo”

gently caress church and anyone religious in general though. It’s ok to hate people who do nothing but spread hate themselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Yes, but it was Homelander.

It was Homelander but also 2 others IIRC

Ennis really pushes things for shock value

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FilthyImp posted:

Can I just say I appreciate that the show runs way faster than I thought it might. I.e. Hugie stops seeing ghostguilt pretty quickly.
Yeah, if this was a Marvel show they'd spend at least half a season on that, plus another episode in Season 2 when they were having an off day.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Don’t doxx me.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Vought seems willing to play as many markets as needed - while Homelander and Starlight appeal to the religious right, The Deep greenwashes Vought for granola liberals.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't recall if The Deep was already doing that kind of thing. It struck me that if he were smarter, he'd have gone to Stilwell and insisted on leading a greenwashing campaign with some genuine improvements, instead of stealing a van and a dolphin.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Lt. Danger posted:

Vought seems willing to play as many markets as needed - while Homelander and Starlight appeal to the religious right, The Deep greenwashes Vought for granola liberals.

Don't granola liberals hate Seaworld?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget, Deep is kind of an idiot. Remember he was pitching his new ideas on how to rescue the dolphins from that horrible place and had to be reminded that oh yea, he's the celebrity spokesman for that place.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Don't forget, Deep is kind of an idiot. Remember he was pitching his new ideas on how to rescue the dolphins from that horrible place and had to be reminded that oh yea, he's the celebrity spokesman for that place.

Yeah, he's an idiot and I think he only even cared about the dolphins at the sea park because he had a personal friend there. Kinda like when he talked to that one lobster and immediately tried to rescue it instead of coming back later and taking all of them or something. It's why he drives a Hummer, because he doesn't care about the environment in general, just the conditions of his pals.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The deep is a glorified mascot for SeaWorld, its part of his hypocrisy, he can emphasise with animals but was happy to perform for these water parks and even when he has a change of heart he goes to Stillwell, she puts him down immediately and he doesn't fight back about it.

Breaking the dolphin out at night was just him trying to have his cake and eat it. Be the "environment guy" and still keep his SeaWorld contract.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, he's an idiot and I think he only even cared about the dolphins at the sea park because he had a personal friend there. Kinda like when he talked to that one lobster and immediately tried to rescue it instead of coming back later and taking all of them or something. It's why he drives a Hummer, because he doesn't care about the environment in general, just the conditions of his pals.

lmao gently caress how is this the first mention of the Hummer

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s actually a pretty deep cut of a joke, drat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Starks posted:

Remember, as far as the public know, every supe is literally blessed by god and a holy person.

It's not just a matter of supes being in religion - the supes are the religion.

It's pretty much the "Jesus vs Jeezus" meme.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The believe festival isn’t “dated” that’s what half of Pennsylvania looks like all Spring & Summer long!

Church festivals are one of the absolute best ways to get poor people to give you money and get their kids hooked on the scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylA6Tn8n6Co

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That dolphin was a freak, it wanted The Deep to touch its blow hole.

Bet the lobster was into some kinky poo poo too.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Black Noir just being this crazy silent green tea drinking piano aficionado is way better than the comic twist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of my coworkers thinks Black Noir is Butcher.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bedshaped posted:

Black Noir just being this crazy silent green tea drinking piano aficionado is way better than the comic twist.

yea the best twist for a guy like him is no twist at all. Why is Black Noir like that? I dunno man he just is a weirdo, he fights crime good and has a cool brand and that's all we care about.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I mean his name literally means "Black Black"... he's already good leave him be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sexpig by night posted:

yea the best twist for a guy like him is no twist at all. Why is Black Noir like that? I dunno man he just is a weirdo, he fights crime good and has a cool brand and that's all we care about.

Well, the whole point is that he really doesn't "fight crime good". None of them do, and it's not something that Vought care about. It's all about the brand.

One of the better parts of BN in the comic is that he has a Noirjet kept aboard the Seven's flying base because the comic writers gave him a Noirjet and so people expect him to have one in real life. But he can't actually fly it, and every time they try to teach him how he crashes it before even getting out of the hangar. Whether or not they go with the twist, I hope they keep that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

What’s the piano cover at the end, can’t quite place it

VVVV cheers :wotwot:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 25, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

beanieson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoR7E7b4Mo

Caros
May 14, 2008

beanieson posted:

VVVV cheers :wotwot:

The cover they used is also listed directly in the video description.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Caros posted:

The cover they used is also listed directly in the video description.

Reading is for nerds

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Jedit posted:

Well, the whole point is that he really doesn't "fight crime good". None of them do, and it's not something that Vought care about. It's all about the brand.

One of the better parts of BN in the comic is that he has a Noirjet kept aboard the Seven's flying base because the comic writers gave him a Noirjet and so people expect him to have one in real life. But he can't actually fly it, and every time they try to teach him how he crashes it before even getting out of the hangar. Whether or not they go with the twist, I hope they keep that.

The Noirjet scene was also included as dumb teasing to BN's secret cause he just rips the plane apart to get out and walks away from the wreckage completely unphased after also killing his instructor.

BN would've looked even better in the amazon series if he looked more like comic BN, by covering the actor in Vantablack coated spandex or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want a S2 episode just following Noir around exploring his rich inner life.