Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mother 3 English translation confirmed?
That's a huge leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Huge, and yet eerily accurate

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Why would a Japanese talent playing a Japanese game for his Japanese show, made for a Japanese audience, which is collaborating with a Japanese company to create a show-themed Japanese product for a Japanese market have anything in the slightest to do with the next game in that Japanese series being officially translated into English? If Mother 3 stuff showing up in Smash Bros. wasn't enough to make it happen, how on earth will this tip the scales?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I dunno man I think he's right, I think this is confirmation of the Mother 3 English translation that we have all been waiting for

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Only if it comes out for GBA.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mother 3DS

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
The Earthbound raw ep is up on Nigolis site. Huzzah!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jakespeare posted:

The Earthbound raw ep is up on Nigolis site. Huzzah!

And it's a multi-parter, surprising no-one.

Also looks like there'll be a visit from Itoi in the next part!

What a weird choice of hardware/software combo used there. They play the GBA version based on a SFC game .. on a Gamecube.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

And it's a multi-parter, surprising no-one.

Also looks like there'll be a visit from Itoi in the next part!

What a weird choice of hardware/software combo used there. They play the GBA version based on a SFC game .. on a Gamecube.

GBA choice is very weird, definitely, although Gamecube is the official standard way to have GBA video captured and/or on a TV.

fmuldoone
Jul 28, 2017
A question for the Japanese speakers who've watched the first Mother 2 episode; namely, did they give a reason in the episode as to why they went with the GBA port instead instead of having him simply play the Super Famicom version? Seems overly complicated in my opinion.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
My guess is that the video output is cleaner for an HD broadcast. Is the Mother 2 on the SFC valuable like Earthbound? Since they give away the game, it might have just been a ton cheaper to give away the GBA version.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lifespan posted:

My guess is that the video output is cleaner for an HD broadcast. Is the Mother 2 on the SFC valuable like Earthbound? Since they give away the game, it might have just been a ton cheaper to give away the GBA version.

Earthbound is a bulk game in Japan.

I'm fairly certain a cart was less than 700 yen and was on an episode before.

Additionally they've given away more expensive games. I think one comes to mind is the 'biospark' (or something like that) Genesis game. They gave away a complete copy, that would have been valued at over 50,000 yen or something like that?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Does Mother 2 on GBA have modified music? I can see the SFC version's music being a thing the crew would have cold feet about

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The GBA version definitely sounded different at points when I was watching that episode, but not like, "entire track changed" different. Just slightly different-sounding at times.

I thought it was a GBA thing when the Titanic Ant boss sprite blocked the Black Antoid B sprite on the row behind it, but I just checked the SNES version and it's the same there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's a new sub by a new (?) team, episode 233 - F-Zero X.

Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I will and report back on how the sub quality feels like.

https://nyaa.si/view/1168760

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thanks for the link, seemed fine to me. Been a while since I got to watch some Arino.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

fmuldoone posted:

A question for the Japanese speakers who've watched the first Mother 2 episode; namely, did they give a reason in the episode as to why they went with the GBA port instead instead of having him simply play the Super Famicom version? Seems overly complicated in my opinion.

Nope, Arino didn't even joke about it, it all struck me as strange.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The music should be the same between Mother 1+2 and the SFC version, the caveat being that the sound processor on the GBA isn't nearly as nice.

I think all of the changes are bug fixes and safety checking.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Phone posted:

The music should be the same between Mother 1+2 and the SFC version, the caveat being that the sound processor on the GBA isn't nearly as nice.

I think all of the changes are bug fixes and safety checking.

well then, :whoptc:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mother 1+2 English Version Confirmed?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mother 1+2 English Version Confirmed?

Well I mean both games on their own are technically available officially from Nintendo in some English form so sure, why not?

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
F-Zero X finally hit the spot again. Great to have another episode even if it is not from our favourite team here!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The translation was perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. I didn't get the 200 yen joke but I feel like it got lost in translation anyway.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Just finished watching the GCCX in Russia raw, and as usual for these type of specials, it is amazingly entertaining, and I don't really understand most of what they're saying. In other words, I would not be sad if this episode was fast tracked for a translation... no pressure :D I also love that Arino is wearing a bowtie for the performance.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 21, 2019

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

TeaJay posted:

There's a new sub by a new (?) team, episode 233 - F-Zero X.

Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I will and report back on how the sub quality feels like.

https://nyaa.si/view/1168760
Nice! Looks like they have a pretty ambitious goal with 3 releases before the end of October.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

TL quality in the new sub seems on par with the SA subs to me. Wish they'd have translated the end segments about the DVDs and smartphone app, though.

TeaJay posted:

The translation was perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. I didn't get the 200 yen joke but I feel like it got lost in translation anyway.

The joke is that "Baison" means "double loss". I think they handled it about as well as you could've. The alternative would've been to just toss out the entire joke and make up a new one from scratch, and at that point you might as well just put "insert a question that makes the answer a pun here" in the subtitles.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I feel so proud I could guess that answer.

Yeah, the quality was good and the translation seemed accurate as well.

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind words on our episode. This is our first time subbing anything, but we're really proud of the work we did. We're really close to finishing our next episode and should have it done this month. Hopefully we can keep up an at least monthly schedule.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

GooseCanyon posted:

Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind words on our episode. This is our first time subbing anything, but we're really proud of the work we did. We're really close to finishing our next episode and should have it done this month. Hopefully we can keep up an at least monthly schedule.

Thanks for your work, and for registering to say hello! Welcome aboard. :love:

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

We welcome any feedback!

GooseCanyon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 25, 2019

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Oh cool! Thanks for the translations and welcome.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the great episode. Always happy to see more Kacho.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

GooseCanyon posted:

You'll likely find out there's always people who say they "would have said this line differently", but just try and improve, it's what I've done with SA-GCCX.

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to work in a month or so, and even if I can't, welcome!

The more, the merrier! Message here for advice or feedback.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 25, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GooseCanyon posted:

We welcome any feedback!

I think you'll find that there are always someone who will nitpick over a single line or something.

Personally I prefer the SA style of translation where you actually translate the meaning, not simply words. I can't imagine how hard it has been to think of an equivalent english proverb or joke, for example. But there have been plenty of examples where they have done so. And this is by no means an easy show to translate!

Things I don't like in a translation are words and terms left untranslated (hello TV Nihon) but the only example in your script was the TamaGe, which I kinda agree is a tough one since it's a name of the segment in Japanese.

The aforementioned Bison joke was another tough one, and probably impossible to translate without making up a completely new joke with a different meaning. But for the most part I felt like you had the right idea and could translate the meaning effectively, and I am waiting for your next released episode.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 25, 2019

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

TeaJay posted:

I think you'll find that there are always someone who will nitpick over a single line or something.

Personally I prefer the SA style of translation where you actually translate the meaning, not simply words. I can't imagine how hard it has been to think of an equivalent english proverb or joke, for example. But there have been plenty of examples where they have done so. And this is by no means an easy show to translate!

Things I don't like in a translation are words and terms left untranslated (hello TV Nihon) but the only example in your script was the TamaGe, which I kinda agree is a tough one since it's a name of the segment in Japanese.

The aforementioned Bison joke was another tough one, and probably impossible to translate without making up a completely new joke with a different meaning. But for the most part I felt like you had the right idea and could translate the meaning effectively, and I am waiting for your next released episode.
Thanks! Yeah, we try to go for meaning over literal translation, and we also hate when random words are untranslated, but with tamage we couldn't figure out a short way to translate what it means. The Bison joke was just impossible yeah, sorry about that. I think our next episode is turning out better though on these fronts.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

GooseCanyon posted:

We welcome any feedback!

Can I point to that earlier bit about the untranslated end segment? I know it's not something that's massively important to a fansub viewer, but it's kinda awkward to suddenly not have subtitles for the last 30 seconds of the episode.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Your work is very much appreciated, and I for one look forward to more of your future releases. Good job guys

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
translated kacho good

GooseCanyon
Aug 25, 2019

Just finished the translation for the next episode and halfway through with the subtitles. After that we'll have our proofreader check it and have it ready for release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Y'all are on point :3