Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Zipperelli. posted:

drat, what carts are you buying?! Mine will get me up there and only keep me there for an hour or so

Can't recall. I was probably pretty high at the time I got it. It was like $12 and I've been holding onto it for months until I remembered I had it after a few weeks without flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Like seriously the world is burning itself to death. Everyone should be depressed when they aren’t stoned as gently caress. There is nothing wrong with your ol’lady.

Solution is as follows.

Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, Smoke weed every day.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Reminder that people are literally dying now from retail carts, probably because they're all cut with vegetable oils if not food flavorings for some insane reason (it's unregulated! :haw: ) and these things don't belong in your lungs. Don't end up with loving lipid pneumonia on a ventillator because you're too busy to pack your own bowls

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

poverty goat posted:

Reminder that people are literally dying now from retail carts, probably because they're all cut with vegetable oils if not food flavorings for some insane reason (it's unregulated! :haw: ) and these things don't belong in your lungs. Don't end up with loving lipid pneumonia on a ventillator because you're too busy to pack your own bowls

No it’s from peoples homemade carts.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

No it’s from peoples homemade carts.

All we know is there's no common product connecting the sick. It's probably a widespread thinning agent like MCT oil

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's the latest CDC release for context, which has not yet been updated to reflect that one has died: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2019/s0821-cdc-fda-states-e-cigarettes.html

quote:

UPDATE August 23, 2019: As of 5:00 p.m., August 22, 193 potential cases of severe lung illness associated with e-cigarette product use had been reported by 22 states (CA, CT, IL, IN, IA, MN, MI, NC, NJ, NM, NY, PA, TX, UT, WI, and additional states pending verification). These were reported between June 28th and August 20th of this year.

CDC is providing consultation to state health departments about a cluster of pulmonary illnesses possibly related to e-cigarette product use, or “vaping,” primarily among adolescents and young adults. Many states have alerted CDC to possible (not confirmed) cases and investigations into these cases are ongoing. In addition, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is working with CDC and state health officials to gather information on any products or substances used and providing technical and laboratory assistance. FDA encourages the public to submit detailed reports of any unexpected tobacco- or e-cigarette-related health or product issues to the FDA via the online Safety Reporting Portalexternal icon.‎ While some cases in each of the states are similar and appear to be linked to e-cigarette product use, more information is needed to determine what is causing the illnesses.

Latest Information

• More than 149 possible cases of severe lung illness associated with e-cigarette product use were reported by 15 states (CA, CT, IL, IN, IA, MN, MI, NC, NJ, NM, NY, PA, TX, UT, and WI) from June 28, 2019, to August 20, 2019.
  • No deaths have been reported.
  • CDC and states have not identified a cause, but all reported cases have e-cigarette product use or “vaping.”
    • Available evidence does not suggest that an infectious disease is the principal cause of the illness.
    • Investigators have not identified any specific product or compound that is linked to all cases.
      • In many cases, patients reported a gradual start of symptoms including breathing difficulty, shortness of breath, and/or chest pain before hospitalization. Some cases reported mild to moderate gastrointestinal illness including vomiting and diarrhea and fatigue as well.
      • In many cases, patients have acknowledged recent use of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing products while speaking to healthcare personnel or in follow-up interviews by health department staff; however, no specific product has been identified in all cases, nor has any product been conclusively linked to illnesses.
  • Even though cases appear similar, it is not clear if these cases have a common cause or if they are different diseases with similar presentations. The State Departments of Health are investigating the possible cause of the illness by testing patient specimens and e-cigarette products. State-specific epidemiologic investigations are ongoing.
  • The Wisconsin and Illinois departments of health have asked CDC for assistance investigating the illnesses in their states. The investigation is ongoing and more information will be shared as it is available.

CDC notified U.S. healthcare systems and clinicians about the illnesses and what to watch for via a Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) Clinical Action Message. For information about a specific state, contact that state’s health department.

For information on electronic cigarettes visit: https://www.cdc.gov/e-cigarettes

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

poverty goat posted:

All we know is there's no common product connecting the sick. It's probably a widespread thinning agent like MCT oil

I just remember there were a couple articles recently and it seemed to be the common thread was people buying homemade carts from random people.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e liquid has nothing in common with THC vape oil, at least in colorado. Vape oil here is made from supercritical CO2 extraction - literally essential oils style THC pulled from the flower. most bacteria dies under those conditions but we still have required microbial testing. e-liquid is assembled by mixing nicotine and flavors with glycerin. its a completely different thing

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I just remember there were a couple articles recently and it seemed to be the common thread was people buying homemade carts from random people.

I've seen rumors that it's homemade carts, vegetable glycol, mct oil, diluted black market weed carts and ecigs. All we know for sure is what's in the press release, and that if one product or category of product connected all the sick it would have been identified

marijuanamancer posted:

e liquid has nothing in common with THC vape oil, at least in colorado. Vape oil here is made from supercritical CO2 extraction - literally essential oils style THC pulled from the flower. most bacteria dies under those conditions but we still have required microbial testing. e-liquid is assembled by mixing nicotine and flavors with glycerin. its a completely different thing

both generally need to be diluted with something to get them to flow properly in carts (and to increase profitability), and this is usually vegetably glycerin, MCT oil, terpenes/flavorings or a combination of those things variously across the vaping continuum. I don't think anyone is talking about bacterial contamination right now, and vaporization would probably kill any bacteria anyway

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

both generally need to be diluted

incorrect. i'm a CO2 extractor & we dilute with nothing, it gets infused with terpenes for flavor but theres no diluting agent

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

marijuanamancer posted:

incorrect. i'm a CO2 extractor & we dilute with nothing, it gets infused with terpenes for flavor but theres no diluting agent

that's great but colorado is only one state, and it's not on the list

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe there are some lovely companies that do that, but neither of the two major vape cart manufacturers in CO i've worked at operate that way

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i see its not, other states take notes

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
never smoking a vape again until other states are up to snuff or there is regulation on them.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

never smoking a vape again until other states are up to snuff or there is regulation on them.

these are safe

https://coloradocannabiscompany.com/

https://luckyturtle.co/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

flower is guaranteed not to cause mysterious lung illness

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

poverty goat posted:

the only truly safe way to consume cannabis is by eating it or taking a pill. or like a body rub or whatever. smoking flower (or literally any other substance that exists) can definitely cause lung disease

also weed that's been sprayed with chemicals or has mold etc can gently caress you right up and it happens all the time

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

lol not at all a lot of flower you can buy comes from infested grows

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poverty goat posted:

Lol yeah only the well known ones, woo!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also that study is talking about e cigarettes not marijuana carts. Unless they refer to them both as the same thing?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

marijuanamancer posted:

yea and there are plenty of dealers and even some stores that do not store their weed properly and some of the molds which are hard to detect in early stages can cause really hosed up lung infections

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol yeah only the well known ones, woo!

I never said to smoke it

marijuanamancer posted:

if smoking a little mold or fungicide were going to cause widespread outbreaks of life-threatening lung disease we would definitely have seen it by now in the legal states. which reminds me, whatever happened with the scromiting outbreak? did they ever figure out exactly what caused that? i recall rumors that it was some turbo-fungicide that was being concentrated in the concentrate

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 25, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

I never said to smoke it

if smoking a little mold or fungicide were going to cause widespread outbreaks of life-threatening lung disease we would definitely have seen it by now in the legal states. which reminds me, whatever happened with the scromiting outbreak? did they ever figure out exactly what caused that?

i would argue that no since weed smoking hasnt been regulated and science was even halted for awhile theres still a lot of research to be done as far as long term effects and different circumstances/conditions of weed

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

marijuanamancer posted:

i would argue that no since weed smoking hasnt been regulated and science was even halted for awhile theres still a lot of research to be done as far as long term effects and different circumstances/conditions of weed

and i would argue that nature, for all its faults, is generally better at quality control than the invisible hand of the free market

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jesus you're a drag. (get it?)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

poverty goat posted:

and i would argue that nature, for all its faults, is better at quality control than the invisible hand of the free market

what on earth is this supposed to mean. like do you think the weed you buy from a dispensary or from a dealer comes directly from "nature" and isnt subjected to capitalist manipulation like anything else? its a crop. you arent going and picking buds in the wild you are buying a product that has been harvested, treated, transported, stored, etc. by various humans well before it gets to you

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 25, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

and i would argue that nature, for all its faults, is generally better at quality control than the invisible hand of the free market

well thats just some hippie bullshit right there

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
until we throw off the chains of capitalism, my brother

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think schwag is regarded as very safe on the lungs. And synthetic opium. Pretty sure no popcorn lung associated with either of them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not bottom of the barrel schwag but like decent mids.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ideally never put smoke directly into your lungs. until we get cyberlungs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in pittsburgh in the late 90's there was a period of like three weeks where the only weed we could get was schwag had this real weird smell to it and it kind of made you trip a little bit, like it gave you visuals. my guy speculated that it was either embalming fluid or roach spray. probably the latter

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ye olde angel dust

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ah yes the old "this weed is secretly tainted with a more expensive and rare drug for no reason" scare

nah im pretty sure it was raid. smoked it anyway

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would a drug dealer spend more money than they have to and lose drugs lol

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Earwicker posted:

ah yes the old "this weed is secretly tainted with a more expensive and rare drug for no reason" scare

nah im pretty sure it was raid. smoked it anyway

yeah it makes way more sense that your dealer would spray raid on his weed, poisoning customers is its own reward

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

marijuanamancer posted:

why would a drug dealer spend more money than they have to and lose drugs lol
Well you see, you give them a taste of the old heroin or opium. They come back with like man that was some wild poo poo.

Then you take them into your confidence and go, my sir have you tried LSD?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

poverty goat posted:

Both nature and the free market routinely kill humans out of sheer indifference. Like, think of how many people over human history died before we realized as a species that water needed to be boiled/treated before consumption?

Also I just got some Chocolate Mint and while I’m not tasting either one it’s a pleasant high.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Combining edibles with beer makes me actually feel like the town drunk in a movie, it's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FilthyImp posted:

Well you see, you give them a taste of the old heroin or opium. They come back with like man that was some wild poo poo.

Then you take them into your confidence and go, my sir have you tried LSD?

ok most drug dealers i know are only opportunists not completely straight from hell. also i moved to the source of my most significant drug. and now even mushrooms are decriminalized. all i need is permission to grow coca leaf at this point