Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thor Ragnarok:
[...]
Karl Urban feels weirdly disconnected from the action since none of the heroes ever get to acknowledge his existence and the story would have been the same without his involvement.

It's pure fan service. He seems to solely exist to pay tribute to this moment from the comics: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q5lhK
(note: the uploader messed up the order of the images, second comic page should go first)

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gaunab posted:

Sears went belly up.

mostly. My hometown's mall still has one but it's not doing great. I got my current pillow from them earlier this year and they aggressively tried to get me to buy a mattress from them even though I said I already ordered one.

also my only irritation with Ragnarok was that song from shrek 3 (not smash mouth) they played in the intro battle. It felt out of place imho, like it was some fan-made video.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m watching Chopping Mall on Amazon Prime and it’s got a similar theme to Dawn of the Dead in that the mall has a gun shop. Also a place to buy tanks of propane and gasoline.

Has anyone ever seen a gun store in a shopping mall? Is this just a deus ex machina or were my local malls just lame?

Both films used clever angles to make it appear as though the gun stores are actually in the malls, and then created fake storefronts for wide shots. And I believe the paint store was also completely fabricated.

Chopping Mall was shot at Sherman Oaks Galleria in LA, same mall as Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Commando. Though it's since been turned into one of those "open-air centers".

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also a bit with portals and Mjolnir's pathfinding going all over the place.

Thor took a train!! :3: that was the best part, mainly because it's the only part I remember.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

mostly. My hometown's mall still has one but it's not doing great. I got my current pillow from them earlier this year and they aggressively tried to get me to buy a mattress from them even though I said I already ordered one.

also my only irritation with Ragnarok was that song from shrek 3 (not smash mouth) they played in the intro battle. It felt out of place imho, like it was some fan-made video.

Dear god it's Zeppelin, it's not just "that song from Shrek 3".

And it's about Vikings, so it fits thematically. Best bit of the film, imo, when it comes back later.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Actually, it's that song from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
:goonsay:

The Dutch army also has a recruitment ad that blatantly imitates it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Are you referring to Immigrant Song, which owns?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been to a mall with a bass pro shop in it, I think they have guns. Don't know about tanks of propane and gasoline, but sears probably would have those and they're in malls.

A mall near me has a Dick's Sporting Goods in it and they sell guns.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Bifrost battle with Immigrant Song playing is probably my single favorite bit of the MCU.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Roblo posted:

Dear god it's Zeppelin, it's not just "that song from Shrek 3".

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of it if it weren't for shrek

muscles like this! posted:

A mall near me has a Dick's Sporting Goods in it and they sell guns.

that's the other one I couldn't remember. Dicks was on one end the bass pro shop was on the other, I was pretty sure one of them had guns if not both.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I've got a gun store in my mall as well, but it's in Alaska, where none of these movies are ever set.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Byzantine posted:

The Bifrost battle with Immigrant Song playing is probably my single favorite bit of the MCU.

Yeah but they already blew their Led Zeppelin load at the start of the movie. The Bifrost bridge battle should have been this :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFYVcz7h3o0

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
in very bad film The Man With The Iron Heart, very bad Australian actor Jason Clarke plays Reinhard Heydrich and they have him put on a posh RP English accent.

okay, fine, it's fairly common for Nazis to have RP English accents in things because it's an evil accent.

BUT THEN they have Stephen Graham, an English actor (with a naturally Northern English accent), play Heinrich Himmler and he's putting on a German accent.

could Clarke not do a German accent? could Graham not do an RP accent? i'd say they should have gone full Death of Stalin and just have everyone use their own voices at that point but it was ostensibly a serious film and i suppose people wouldn't find an Australian and a Liverpudlian pair of Nazis suitably menacing

edit: now i really want a Himmler biopic where he talks like a scouser the whole time

ulex minor has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Aug 25, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Byzantine posted:

:hellyeah:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It really was a pretty :krad: moment.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thor: Ragnarok was my favorite parts of Simonson and Aaron's runs on Thor on the big screen. They got that this dude is ridiculous and everything he fights is insane and the only way to really do it is to go full van art with it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Push El Burrito posted:

Thor: Ragnarok was my favorite parts of Simonson and Aaron's runs on Thor on the big screen. They got that this dude is ridiculous and everything he fights is insane and the only way to really do it is to go full van art with it.

I don't remember if this is a circular recommendation coming from this thread, but there is a comedy talk podcast called Good One and they have an episode interviewing Taika Waititi on Thor: Ragnarok and it's quite good. You can feel it in the movie, but a ton of the best lines are improv or semi improv - they shot a ton of extra film with the actors riffing on what's around them in the set and on each other, then picked the best sequences.

An IIMM regarding Hannibal: in season 1 Hannibal conspires with an ex colleague, who's a neurologist, to hide Will's cerebral condition to him. A few episodes later, after the neurologist has been killed, Will gets examined again for his very evident symptoms but these doctors somehow fail to notice the super evident inflammation in his brain for what can I only assume are plot reasons.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Aug 25, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that in Infinity War (havent seen Endgame or Far From Home, those are the only two I've not seen now) when Thor returns to earth to join the fight at Wakanda, he's still using all the lightning powers he learned in Ragnarok. Everyone else fights one on one with an army of peeps, he shows up and is like "Nah, this is Hyrule Warriors mate, where's your area of effect attacks?" and starts making GBS threads lightning everywhere wiping out a ton of enemies with each hit. I like that he/the writers remember that he can do that.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

That Italian Guy posted:

An IIMM regarding Hannibal: in season 1 Hannibal conspires with an ex colleague, who's a neurologist, to hide Will's cerebral condition to him. A few episodes later, after the neurologist has been killed, Will gets examined again for his very evident symptoms but these doctors somehow fail to notice the super evident inflammation in his brain for what can I only assume are plot reasons.

i hate Hannibal but it's really more of a dark fantasy/horror show wearing the sliced off face of a thriller so never expect any of it to make logical sense in a realistic way

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that in Infinity War (havent seen Endgame or Far From Home, those are the only two I've not seen now) when Thor returns to earth to join the fight at Wakanda, he's still using all the lightning powers he learned in Ragnarok. Everyone else fights one on one with an army of peeps, he shows up and is like "Nah, this is Hyrule Warriors mate, where's your area of effect attacks?" and starts making GBS threads lightning everywhere wiping out a ton of enemies with each hit. I like that he/the writers remember that he can do that.

warmachine does a bit,i wished he or Ironman would have done that laser AOE thing from Ironman 2 at least once (they never do) that thing was mint.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been watching Legends of Tomorrow. It's stupid and I love it. But I am annoyed by how often they have to contrive a reason why Firestorm can't just incinerate whatever problem is happening. And not a reason like 'going superpowered would be unwise right now' or 'it'd be too dangerous to go up in flames right here', those are fair enough, I mean reasons like 'one of the two components is conveniently disabled/absent'. I dunno how you get around that as a writing staff though. It's like trying to write anything the Flash can't just solve instantly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

warmachine does a bit,i wished he or Ironman would have done that laser AOE thing from Ironman 2 at least once (they never do) that thing was mint.

I don't think that lasers do well against Thanos's army. Back in the first avengers film Iron Man tried to laser one of those big flying worm things and got told by Jarvis it'd take a year or so to burn through. In IM2 they did great against lovely hammertech drones though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think that lasers do well against Thanos's army. Back in the first avengers film Iron Man tried to laser one of those big flying worm things and got told by Jarvis it'd take a year or so to burn through. In IM2 they did great against lovely hammertech drones though.

I have a soft spot for Iron Man 2 simply because of Micky Rourke. I just loved the scenes of him being a Musclebound Tech Bro with the tiny glasses and his wild hair pulled into a ponytail with a toothpick hanging out of his mouth. Since the stereotype for that kind of person is for them to be a bit dumb, it's fun to have someone doing everything associated with "Nerdiness" but backing it up by being ridiculously jacked. Also him bonding with the new Burd was cute. Just the fact that he was willing to learn to love the new burd despite missing his own back at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wklIA9M5nZo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've been in a Danish mall that had a sex shop. Wasn't hidden or anything. On plain view right as you came up the escalator to the second floor. Huge window with mannequins in bondage gear and crotchless panties. Even had some dildos and other toys in the window.

The next store over was I think a Levi's.

The Danes are not a shy people

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

word?,i didn't remember that,i guess i just like my Iron-man to be very lasery.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of it if it weren't for shrek

Sure, one of the most famous songs from one of the most famous bands of the 20th century is only popular because of Shrek.

I mean, I've never seen a single Shrek movie, but I'm not a child and I have listened to rock music for more than five minutes, so I guess I'm lucky to have heard of this little indie band Led Zeppelin

Dork

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Mad World if it weren't for that one Gears of War commercial

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Roxanne if it weren't for Moulin Rouge

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Mad World if it weren't for that one Gears of War commercial

I think you mean donnie darko

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Pinball Wizard if it weren't for Tommy

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

Oh, you mean that song made famous by Adam Lambert’s performance on American Idol?!

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I think you mean donnie darko

Shouldn't you be watching Megamind or some poo poo in order to keep up-to-date on rare music trends?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of The Star Spangled Banner if it weren't for Christmas Vacation

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Paint It Black if it weren't for Platoon

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Remember how Disney's Tarzan found an unknown Brit named Phillip Collinsworth and gave him his big break?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Walt, I got more.

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of James Earl Jones if it weren't for The Lion King is Coming To America

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Chris Tucker if it weren't for Eddie Murphy

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of American Pie if it weren't for Weird Al.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Johnny Be Goode if it weren't for Back To The Future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

yeah ok like anyone would have heard of Shipping Up To Boston if it weren't for The Departed