Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think I asked this in the recommendation thread a while back but I need a weirder and deeper level of expertise.

I'm looking for horror in the vein of Black Mountain Side, the Borderlands (aka Final Prayer), The Ritual, or -- even though I didn't like it very much, it's in the correct genre -- Annihilation. Which is to say, horror where an inexplicable alien force slowly and subtly intrudes on normal existence. Cosmic horror, but I'm not talking Fulci or Carpenter here. (Honestly The Ritual is kind of pushing it, to give you an idea of where I'm aiming.)

Besides what I've mentioned, what else is good on that front?
Echoing the Phase IV rec, that’s a great call.

Focusing more on the ‘subtle intrusion and alteration’ aspects of what you’re looking for, these would be my recommendations.
Harpya, a short film.
Harlequin (1980), though everyone in that presents as human.
Nomads (1986), not so much cosmic as (semi-)inexplicable.
Paranoia: 1.0.
Session 9.
Loft (2005).
Penumbra; Entrance; and The Forgotten, all from 2012.
Polednice, a.k.a., The Noonday Witch.
My House Walkthrough, a short film on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've seen Nomads, it owns and I should have mentioned it as one of my touchstones for this subgenre.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

alf_pogs posted:

wow i just watched Darkness Falls and what the gently caress was that movie lol

If memory serves the production was a bit of a trainwreck all the way through. They even went back and redesigned the Tooth Fairy top-to-bottom right before release. In fact, it came so close to the release date that McFarlane toys actually released a figure of the original design and then released a second, updated figure reflecting the final design later.

Here's a bit about Doug Jones modeling the original, unused concept:

https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/01/21/the-shape-of-water-doug-jones-rare-tooth-fairy-darkness-falls-design/

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course it was Doug Jones

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pomp posted:

Of course it was Doug Jones

Generally if it's not Doug Jones, then it's Javier Botet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I said it before, but one day Doug Jones is gonna die and some freaky looking thing from a horror movie won't be him and I'll just start to cry a little.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm like halfway through the F13 franchise and man I really don't like Jason as a villain. Out of the big 3, he's weirdly the most human and I think that works against him.

Maybe the series gets better after part 5 (which I just finished (haha I know it doesn't))

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watch Part VI, it's the best one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ah well, at least I'll be looking forward to VI now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Watch Part VIII, it's the best one.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Doug Jones is a national treasure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s a bit early, but I invited him in to hang out

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

alf_pogs posted:

wow i just watched Darkness Falls and what the gently caress was that movie lol
Lol, I remember seeing that in theaters and legit getting scared during the opening scene, but that did not last. "I see you bitch!". wut.

CelticPredator posted:

Some 3D movies look like rear end. Look at My Bloody Valentine 3D. Looks horrendous when it’s in 2D
It's such a bummer too because the 'Harry Warden' miner outfit is one of my favorite villain looks. It's a awesome silhouette and is intimidating as hell.
Also, though it's executed very poorly , I actually enjoy the twist. It's a ok way to change up the killer for a remake, just needed to be developed a hair more.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm like halfway through the F13 franchise and man I really don't like Jason as a villain. Out of the big 3, he's weirdly the most human and I think that works against him.

Maybe the series gets better after part 5 (which I just finished (haha I know it doesn't))

Lol, well he sure gets less human after 5. I always liked the interpretation that the F13 movies are just natural disaster movies like Earthquake or Dante's Peak but the disaster is a big rear end dude. I feel it gets more fun to watch from that point on, though 9 is loving BONKERS, and not in quite the best ways. It has the loving necronomicon and Kandarian dagger props from Evil Dead 2, and uses them.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 25, 2019

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Darthemed posted:

Echoing the Phase IV rec, that’s a great call.

Focusing more on the ‘subtle intrusion and alteration’ aspects of what you’re looking for, these would be my recommendations.
Harpya, a short film.
Harlequin (1980), though everyone in that presents as human.
Nomads (1986), not so much cosmic as (semi-)inexplicable.
Paranoia: 1.0.
Session 9.
Loft (2005).
Penumbra; Entrance; and The Forgotten, all from 2012.
Polednice, a.k.a., The Noonday Witch.
My House Walkthrough, a short film on Youtube.

I will never stop loving old VHS covers...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

He’s a bit early, but I invited him in to hang out

Which SCP is this?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think I asked this in the recommendation thread a while back but I need a weirder and deeper level of expertise.

I'm looking for horror in the vein of Black Mountain Side, the Borderlands (aka Final Prayer), The Ritual, or -- even though I didn't like it very much, it's in the correct genre -- Annihilation. Which is to say, horror where an inexplicable alien force slowly and subtly intrudes on normal existence. Cosmic horror, but I'm not talking Fulci or Carpenter here. (Honestly The Ritual is kind of pushing it, to give you an idea of where I'm aiming.)

Resolution/The Endless
The Corridor
Absentia

Those all come to mind as maybe fitting the bill.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Snack Bitch posted:

Any fans here of Joe Begos? He has two movies so far, The Mind’s Eye and Almost Human, both are sci-fi horror with lots of blood. What I enjoyed most was the pacing, a steady escalation of violence and body count. Both movies have generic plots and his writing is really awkward. But I can overlook this for an exciting movie. Mind’s Eye is streaming for free on Tubi and worth checking out. Begos has two new movies coming out in the next year and he has a lot of potential as a horror director.

I really liked Almost Human so I'll be sure to check out The Mind's Eye.

Also count me among the people who both loved The Greasy Strangler and hated it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Terrified (2017) is a solid Argentinian film about supernatural forces slowly talking over a small neighborhood and a team of paranormal investigators trying to get to the bottom of it.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I wanted to love Cigarette Burns, I'm the biggest Carpenter fanatic you'll ever meet and there were plenty of other Masters of Horror episodes that I liked but that one just didn't work for me. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Yeah, I watched it again recently, and it just doesn't hold together, despite some nicely goopy visuals. The big issue, I think, is that the script gives away way too much, way too soon. (It's hard to pull off a slow burn into the supernatural after you've revealed in the first act that the bad guy is holding an actual angel captive in his living room.) The fact that Carpenter ditches the writers halfway through the commentary track to take a smoke break says it all, really.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 25, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It also doesn't help that Reedus' acting is busted as hell in that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Y'all are nuts Cigarette Burns owns.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

filmcynic posted:

Yeah, I watched it again recently, and it just doesn't hold together, despite some nicely goopy visuals. The big issue, I think, is that the script gives away way too much, way too soon. (It's hard to pull off a slow burn into the supernatural after you've revealed in the first act that the bad guy is holding an actual angel captive in his living room.) The fact that Carpenter ditches the writers halfway through the commentary track to take a smoke break says it all, really.

As I said earlier, the concept of a lost or forbidden film just really clicks with me since if I was able to afford it, I would love to go tracking down movies like that for a job.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

There’s not much reason to watch Cigarette Burns when you could be watching In the Mouth of Madness instead. It’s not a terrible way for Carpenter to sign off from filmmaking though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There’s not much reason to watch Cigarette Burns when you could be watching In the Mouth of Madness instead. It’s not a terrible way for Carpenter to sign off from filmmaking though.

He directed the music video for the new version of the Christine theme.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Didn't the one in the asylum come like a decade after Cigarette Burns?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, that's his last official feature film as of right now. I suspect it will stay that way.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The intro to Darkness Falls was the only good part of that movie. It's dope as hell.

Watched The Wind and Black Mountain Side. Dug them

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It is kind of cool that John Carpenter’s likely final set of creative works is gonna be several cool albums and scores for Halloween movies. Heck of a 3rd act.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Watched Attack the Block and loved it. I thought it was a really well balanced blend of action, comedy, and horror with simple but cool monster designs.

I also watched The Stuff and didn't like it. Instead of getting a movie full of Kung Fu Famous Amos I was given Does Nothing Woman and Some Kid. It's a movie full of fantastic ideas mostly squandered.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Y'all are nuts Cigarette Burns owns.

Yup. It was what sold me on Masters Of Horror at all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently watched Prince of Darkness for the first time.

I love how eerie it is in parts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah but who gives a poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Yup. It was what sold me on Masters Of Horror at all.

I got to see a preview screening of Incident On and Off a Mountain Road and really got hyped for the potential of the series after seeing it. It sucks that they couldn’t keep the series going.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ape Agitator posted:

Echoing most everyone on Ready or Not in that it's a really fun horror comedy but not suspenseful. It's not played carefully enough to be like a Don't Breathe though so it's not the format for suspense. The ending could have gone in either way and it would have been fine.

Agreed, but also the fake-out genuinely got me, and :lol: at the kids exploding.

Anyway I now have a crush on Samara Weaving and might have to watch The Babysitter

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Agreed, but also the fake-out genuinely got me, and :lol: at the kids exploding.

Anyway I now have a crush on Samara Weaving and might have to watch The Babysitter

The Babysitter is cool and good, and additionally you liking The Babysitter is peak performative "gently caress the haters" because the movie is good even if McG as a director has been (until this movie) almost universally trash.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

The Babysitter is cool and good, and additionally you liking The Babysitter is peak performative "gently caress the haters" because the movie is good even if McG as a director has been (until this movie) almost universally trash.

I'm a bone deep McG hater, and The Babysitter is awesome and Samara Weaving is loving awesome. Ready or Not was, in my opinion, awesome.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's a great guy and I want him to succeed but if I'm being honest I don't like his execution. He's got a ton of ideas but in my opinion has never been able to bring them off properly. That said I'm fully aware I mighty be in the minority on those two films because practically everyone I know loves them. I just think Panos just blew straight past him in the current retro cosmic horror trend.

Oh yeah Panos is on while other level. I feel like Begos is doing less of the cosmic horror and more of a exciting/weird experience.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
About halfway through The Babysitter and the title cards and stuff really fall flat for me, as did the "Black lives matter" joke. It has some decent effects though, like the guy tripping off the stairs and getting the award through the neck, but that only highlights the bad CG like the cop getting a fireplace poker through the eye.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The first like 15-30 minutes are really McG but like once it really gets rolling I think its just a wild, fun ride. And Robbie Amell ends up outshining Samara Weaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He's currently adapting his Tales for a Halloween Night as an anthology series and (before it recently switched studios, at least) planned to direct the pilot.