Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
loving California and its loving useless late rear end time zones that everyone else has to wait around for

gently caress the Pacific, atlantic coast only coast

e: gulf coast is invited too

e2: gently caress BC and Seattle too

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As funny as that would be, you know that that it's because people don't value art as work deserving of fair compensation. To most people, art is a fun thing to do as a hobby.

:emptyquote:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The fade haircut is only popular because it's become the "default" one barbers give to men with easy dark blondeish hair who don't communicate what they want, which is because it's also the easiest and fastest haircut to cut, increasing profits for barbers that increasingly operate in chains. It's also an expression of toxic masculinity or worse if it's a white guy who has it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

And it looks cool!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

The fade haircut is only popular because it's become the "default" one barbers give to men with easy dark blondeish hair who don't communicate what they want, which is because it's also the easiest and fastest haircut to cut, increasing profits for barbers that increasingly operate in chains. It's also an expression of toxic masculinity or worse if it's a white guy who has it.

Hello there Mr. From Somewhere In Europe welcome to 2000s North America and let me be the first to sadly tell you that most humans don't have the dark blonde wavy reddish hair that you consider the norm

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hello there Mr. From Somewhere In Europe welcome to 2000s North America and let me be the first to sadly tell you that most humans don't have the dark blonde wavy reddish hair that you consider the norm

Well obviously I'm complaining about what I see in everyday life. Europe is like 90% white guys and they all have fades and look completely identical. I'm teaching a high school class right now and most of the kids have fades and it makes it hard to remember their names and I feel like I'm teaching the Hitlerjugend. It's so generic and boring, I'd prefer any other haircut.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Verbose English teachers who say poo poo like "scrumptious" in facebook posts instead of normal words

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

oldpainless posted:

And it looks cool!

Not really. I mean it looks cool if one guy has it, but not if everyone does especially guys who don't have a matching face. Along with all the beards it's a move towards aesthetic "manliness", to the point where you hardly ever see just an androgynous guy on the street anymore. Androgynous looking men look cool and anime as gently caress and they've become a rare breed, instead we get this universalized sleeve tattood, bearded, faded Proud Boy poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A drunk dude at a bar going "CALISSE" is somehow a better english teacher than anyone who says "scrumptious"

no one legit says that

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Shibawanko posted:

Not really. I mean it looks cool if one guy has it, but not if everyone does especially guys who don't have a matching face. Along with all the beards it's a move towards aesthetic "manliness", to the point where you hardly ever see just an androgynous guy on the street anymore.

👋🏾

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A drunk dude at a bar going "CALISSE" is somehow a better english teacher than anyone who says "scrumptious"

no one legit says that

I used to have a coworker who would pepper his speech with things like that, the weather was never hot, it was always "sweltering", he also always brought a Starbucks cup to work to drink regular coffee machine espressos because he said it made him feel fancy. Come to think of it, he also had a fade.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
idgi your pet peeve is descriptive language?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Not really. I mean it looks cool if one guy has it, but not if everyone does especially guys who don't have a matching face. Along with all the beards it's a move towards aesthetic "manliness", to the point where you hardly ever see just an androgynous guy on the street anymore. Androgynous looking men look cool and anime as gently caress and they've become a rare breed, instead we get this universalized sleeve tattood, bearded, faded Proud Boy poo poo.

Otoh you gotta admit, it looks pretty cool

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

quote:

and anime as gently caress

:confused:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't do a citizenship marriage because my marriage partner is on ODSP

gently caress governments and for fucks sake North America needs a Schengen-style thing

Call it el ley trumpisto for all I care just make it possible for me to live literally hours from where I live permanently without a good credit score and thousands of dollars in the bank just in case

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sports team colors are technically a color scheme, yes. This is true.

If you use that to inform your interior decor, I will hate every moment I spend within your home and make every excuse to avoid being there.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

There’s a fly in the car. You roll down all the windows expecting it to fly right out.

BUT THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING rear end in a top hat DOESN’T THE ENTIRE DRIVE.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I guess age slash infirmity is my pet peeve.

I got back into guitar really hard recently, and since I've learned a great deal I was hoping this would be an opportunity to bond with my dad, who I've always had rather few commonalities with.

I guess I missed the train. He's just coming to grips with the fact that a lifetime of manual labor and injuries has hosed his hands to the point he can barely form chords or scales. I'm researching some finger-friendly scale structures like the Albert King box, so we can at least jam out some blues, but his hands shake like crazy. (Good for vibrato, at least.)

I can't help feeling disappointed and sad that I'll probably lose my father without ever getting to do this together. I never had the skills when I was young, and now it's too late.

Probably more of an e/n thing, but it just sucks.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Shibawanko posted:

It's also an expression of toxic masculinity or worse if it's a white guy who has it.
"barbers do this to white guys by default, and it means the white man is toxic"? I feel like the toxicity is in the men, not tied to the haircut as an aesthetic choice when it's supposedly not actually a choice but the thing a guy gets when he doesn't state a choice, but I mean i could be wrong

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

"barbers do this to white guys by default, and it means the white man is toxic"? I feel like the toxicity is in the men, not tied to the haircut as an aesthetic choice when it's supposedly not actually a choice but the thing a guy gets when he doesn't state a choice, but I mean i could be wrong

I don't mean on an individual level so much as aesthetics on the whole shifting towards a certain image of masculinity, it's not that a guy who has that haircut is a chud, but the haircut did become popular at a time when traditional ideas about masculinity became popular again, like artofmanliness.com and poo poo like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My friend started going to a Korean barber so now he's a red-headed white guy with Kim Jong-Un hair. He's gotten them to dial it back a bit, but they still practically bevel his part

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I guess age slash infirmity is my pet peeve.

Yeah, something similar with my Grandma.
She's at a point where her short term memory pretty much doesn't exist anymore.
(94 years old, second round of brain cancer, but atleast she's up and about and eating again.)

She'll call to talk. Then call again 10 minutes later and act as if she hasn't heard from you in weeks. (Then a third call maybe half an hour after that, sometimes.)
She'll cry about how her nursing home feels like a prison and nobody has time to visit her, and she hasn't had a guest in days. Usually less than an hour or two after the second or third set of guests that day left.

It's such a miserable way to spend the last months? years? of your life, especially after my grandpa died this spring.
And it's so exhausting playing the same conversation on repeat, and feeling bad that you just get exasperated when she calls. It's not her fault, she's just feeling lonely.
:smith:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why is "I see you" suddenly the hot new thing for people to say? I've been seeing it everywhere the past month or so. Is it a super delayed appreciation of the movie Avatar, or what?

Peeve: being out of touch

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Peoples stance on things changing on whether they agree with it or not. On Facebook, friends will decry an athlete/celebrity talking about religion or politics when, amazingly, they don’t agree with it usuallynsaying something like “just play the game, you’re not here to give your opinion” but love to comment “wish we saw more of this today” when an athlete shares their views.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When a toilet punishes you for flushing it. Toilet levers don't need force feedback

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

oldpainless posted:

Peoples stance on things changing on whether they agree with it or not. On Facebook, friends will decry an athlete/celebrity talking about religion or politics when, amazingly, they don’t agree with it usuallynsaying something like “just play the game, you’re not here to give your opinion” but love to comment “wish we saw more of this today” when an athlete shares their views.

Even worse is obvious tribalism. Gun laws and taxes are very separate issues and there is no reason you have to choose to like higher taxes and hate guns or love guns and hate higher taxes. You have the right to have a nuanced opinion. Please take advantage of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why is "I see you" suddenly the hot new thing for people to say? I've been seeing it everywhere the past month or so. Is it a super delayed appreciation of the movie Avatar, or what?

Peeve: being out of touch

This is my truth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sci-fi/fantasy where humans are uniquely awesome. Like, we scare the other races because of how warlike we are or our advantage is being incredibly adaptable. Why do you assume these would be unusual traits? It's like giving yourself a trophy for winning an imaginary competition against opponents that you made up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Sci-fi/fantasy where humans are uniquely awesome. Like, we scare the other races because of how warlike we are or our advantage is being incredibly adaptable. Why do you assume these would be unusual traits? It's like giving yourself a trophy for winning an imaginary competition against opponents that you made up.

Well, light sci-fi/fantasy usually gives every race some kind of gimmick they are good at and those are easy options for humans

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

I like how in stargate SG-1 the humans have an advantage pretty much solely because they haven't abandoned projectile weapons. Goauld shield device designed to defend them from their slaves? Easily defeated by a throwing knife or bow, something humans on goauld planets are known to have. An incredibly advanced alien race on the verge of extinction because of lego robots? Only humans can save the day with shotguns.

It is contrived (seriously, did not a single asgard think maybe energy weapons aren't the best/only solution against a thing that is attracted to bursts of energy), but I like it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The only good literary sci fi is Stanislaw Lem and especially because he doesn't do this

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

Well, light sci-fi/fantasy usually gives every race some kind of gimmick they are good at and those are easy options for humans

Humanity gets invited to join the Galactic Coalition because while our military skills and versatility are laughable, our cuisine is insane.

A young Terran boy joins the military with dreams of glory piloting the new KP62 power armour and promptly finds himself assigned to kitchen duty. 448 pages, hardcover.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

aardwolf posted:

Humanity gets invited to join the Galactic Coalition because while our military skills and versatility are laughable, our cuisine is insane.

This is basically the plot of Dragon Ball Super

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In a genre where aliens get acid blood or infrared vision or telepathy, being good at adapting and improvising is LITERALLY the least we can get.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Danaru posted:

In a genre where aliens get acid blood or infrared vision or telepathy, being good at adapting and improvising is LITERALLY the least we can get.

But why would we though? The only reason is because, from a human perspective where humans are the default and everything else is a deviation from that, it appears that we have no particular biological advantages. That's not true, and making all the aliens humans plus some super power is part of the problem. Other animals on Earth are better than us at some things and worse at others. There's no animal that's just another animal plus super powers. Making humans "adaptable" is just an explanation for why we don't have super powers, which is only necessary because the author chose to give the aliens super powers without any compensatory drawbacks. It's just bad writing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Andrast posted:

This actually is my science fiction peeve, the idea that every species other than humanity is an easily-stereotyped monoculture.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

But why would we though? The only reason is because, from a human perspective where humans are the default and everything else is a deviation from that, it appears that we have no particular biological advantages. That's not true, and making all the aliens humans plus some super power is part of the problem. Other animals on Earth are better than us at some things and worse at others. There's no animal that's just another animal plus super powers. Making humans "adaptable" is just an explanation for why we don't have super powers, which is only necessary because the author chose to give the aliens super powers without any compensatory drawbacks. It's just bad writing.

You are expecting far too much from schlocky sci-fi. Those other races are generally just another to perspective to view humanity from and nobody really cares if it is realistic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lem has the coolest aliens and everyone should read Solaris or Fiasco

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Want to read a sci-fi novel where aliens have different cultures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Brawnfire posted:

I can't help feeling disappointed and sad that I'll probably lose my father without ever getting to do this together. I never had the skills when I was young, and now it's too late.

I know how you feel. My dad played in a band as a side thing for a long time and I always wanted to jam with him, but lacked the drive to actually learn an instrument. Now that I'm older and devoted some time to learning one, I get a call that my dad had a stroke and can't feel or control the right side of his body. I don't really care if I play music with him anymore, but I'm so sad that he might never be able to do something he loves anymore.

Aging sucks :(

Maybe your dad could try an open tuning and use a slide? He could lay the guitar horizontally, too, so he wouldn't need to grip the neck.