Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

axeil posted:

I've decided to make a Nicol Bolas tribal deck with a ton of planeswalkers. Anyone have any good ideas for cards to run other than all the Bolas cards, WAR Liliana, Chandra, Tezzeret, etc.? I was thinking it should be heavy in WAR cards for flavor purposes.

Proliferate, and Time Walks. Seriously, in a superfriends deck you can never have too many Time Walks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PJOmega posted:

If all commanders had partner what would be your degenerate combo pairing?

Comedy option: Ghired/Trostani.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Proliferate, and Time Walks. Seriously, in a superfriends deck you can never have too many Time Walks.

Thanks! Any particular type of Time Walk I should look for? I already was planning to use a lot of proliferates so thanks for confirming my instinct there!

Any ideas for creatures? Should I even run that many creatures?

I know someone else pointed out I should be going for good grixis cards. Any recommends on that? I was planning to just check edhrec for most used in red/black/blue.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

axeil posted:

Thanks! Any particular type of Time Walk I should look for? I already was planning to use a lot of proliferates so thanks for confirming my instinct there!

Any ideas for creatures? Should I even run that many creatures?

I know someone else pointed out I should be going for good grixis cards. Any recommends on that? I was planning to just check edhrec for most used in red/black/blue.

The three "Time Walk" cards: Time Walk, Temporal Manipulation, and Capture of Jingzhou. Maybe you could throw in Savor the Moment and Expropriate.
The best grixis cards are the "good" blue counterspells (Mana Drain, Counterspell, Force of Will, Arcane Denial, etc.), black's cheap tutors(Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor), and red's....uhhhhh, artifact destruction?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

If all commanders had partner what would be your degenerate combo pairing?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1165339026011774977?s=09

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DontMockMySmock posted:

Comedy option: Brisela

We have an old man at our store with like 4 different angel decks, Mono-W, Naya, Bant, and Brisela. He was so cute the first he asked and were all like “of course man” like who cares if he plays a cool Boros Angel deck.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

AlternateNu posted:

Maybe just The First Sliver/Squee Food Chain.
This is probably the answer, it's hard to beat a 1 card combo 5c deck.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Heath posted:

I feel like you could do some heinous things with Pramikon and a Conjurer's Closet. Cast it, name left, attack, blink it back in at your end step, name right. Divert all attacks away from you, get some Propaganda and Ghostly Prison in place to make it that much harder.

The other option is to cast Pramikon, name a direction, then drop Mystic Barrier and name the opposite direction, such is the want of someone at my LGS who has picked up the Jeskai deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pramikon is the ultimate battle cruiser hoser, for sure, but it just stone folds to combo decks that don’t need to attack to win.

Our commander day event at my LGS was a smashing success! We got tons of new players and helped a ton of people spruce up their decks.

We even saw this one kid (young high school, mullet//rat tail combo) sit down with his mono-W deck and my buddy just gave him some sleeves like “please dude for the love of god you have good cards in here please”.

I won a Flusterstorm as a door prize and we jammed mad games all night. Pick’lRick is an incredibly powerful commander, every time I untapped I felt like I could’ve won but always slowed my roll to keep the game going, but he’s definitely so strong I always felt like I could close the game out.

We played 3 rounds of cEDH and I won 2 of them with Atraxa Flash Hulk, including winning through a Back to Basics that completely locked me down until I was able to cast Daze, return my Hallowed Fountain to my hand, then play it untapped and win.

Finally I played a game with Grevan and holy gently caress it’s so fun! Dire Fleet Ravager, Heartless Hidetsugu, Havok Festival, and Kaervek the Merciless all finally have a real home.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Played the precons in some 1v1 games yesterday, I really like the rakdos madness deck. Ive never played a rb deck that drew so many cards.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My friend came in from out of town yesterday and gave his Greven deck a few trial runs. It's surprisingly good at what it does. I think I will replace my casual Xenagos deck with a Greven deck because watching it go off was just great.

Black has a ton of powerful cards with life loss as a balancing tool (which are still super strong even with that cost) but Greven turns them into upsides as well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just tuned into a Commander stream where they were using the precons. 90 minutes in and literally nothing has happened.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That was the precon game we did yesterday. I played UBG and drew exactly one creature with the morph keyword and it died before I could morph it. I did literally nothing. Rakdos madness did a shitload of stuff.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

I just tuned into a Commander stream where they were using the precons. 90 minutes in and literally nothing has happened.

Just like the RC and Wizards intended.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

I've decided to make a Nicol Bolas tribal deck with a ton of planeswalkers. Anyone have any good ideas for cards to run other than all the Bolas cards, WAR Liliana, Chandra, Tezzeret, etc.? I was thinking it should be heavy in WAR cards for flavor purposes.

Following up on this, here's the decklist I have. Any suggestions on things I can cut or other changes I should make? I'm at 105 right now and having a really hard time figuring out what to cut.

As far as lands go I don't want to go for anything more expensive than what I already have listed here (I own Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so its cost isn't an issue for me)

//Commander
1 Nicol Bolas, the Ravager #!Commander

//Lands
1 Command Tower
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Interplanar Beacon
10 Island
1 Karn's Bastion
9 Mountain
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Sunken Hollow
9 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Artifacts
1 Bolas's Citadel
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Dimir Signet
1 Izzet Signet
1 Rakdos Signet
1 Sol Ring
1 Talisman of Creativity
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Talisman of Indulgence
1 Thaumatic Compass
1 The Chain Veil
1 Visage of Bolas

//Enchantments
1 Inexorable Tide
1 Oath of Liliana
1 The Eldest Reborn

//Instants
1 Arcane Denial
1 Bedevil
1 Counterspell
1 Countersquall
1 Crosis's Charm
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Disallow
1 Izzet Charm
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Terminate

//Sorceries
1 Command the Dreadhorde
1 Contentious Plan
1 Crux of Fate
1 Dark Intimations
1 Deliver Unto Evil
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Discovery // Dispersal
1 Hour of Devastation
1 Karn's Temporal Sundering
1 Savor the Moment
1 Slave of Bolas
1 Tezzeret's Gambit
1 The Elderspell

//Planeswalkers
1 Angrath, the Flame-Chained
1 Ashiok, Dream Render
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
1 Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General
1 Narset, Parter of Veils
1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God
1 Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
1 Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Ral Zarek
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy
1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
1 Sarkhan, Fireblood
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master
1 Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge
1 Ugin, the Ineffable

//Creatures
1 Flux Channeler
1 Guildpact Informant
1 Nicol Bolas
1 Spark Double
1 Thief of Sanity
1 Thrummingbird

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 26, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For starters cut 3 basic lands and Commander’s Sphere, 39 is too many lands for the amount of ramp your drawing and Commander’s sphere blows eggwater.

Arcane Denial is bad, but I’m sure you could cut the 3-4 shittiest planeswalkers in that pile, that’s honestly way too many and some of them do like absolutely nothing.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 26, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

For starters cut 3 basic lands and Commander’s Sphere, 39 is too many lands for the amount of ramp your drawing and Commander’s sphere blows eggwater.

Arcane Denial is bad, but I’m sure you could cut the 3-4 shittiest planeswalkers in that pile, that’s honestly way too many and some of them do like absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the advice! I cut the 3 basics (1 of each), Commander's Sphere and Arcane Denial. If I cut 3 Planeswalkers, what should I replace them with? I was debating putting in Temporal Manipulation, Contagion Engine and/or Demonic Tutor but they're a bit pricey ($10-20ish) and I wasn't sure if they were worth it.

edit: Rings of Brightearth is another but lol at paying the $40ish it's going for right now.

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 26, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Demonic Tutor is better than every other card in your deck, and if you’re all in on planewalkers then the repeatable proliferate seems worth it.

Saheeli isn’t worth her slot, Temporal Manipulation is better than Karn’s Temporal Sundering (bouncing one permanent isn’t as good in a multiplayer format as just being cheaper) and you straight up don’t run enough artifacts for Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge to be good.

Good luck!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Demonic Tutor is better than every other card in your deck, and if you’re all in on planewalkers then the repeatable proliferate seems worth it.

Saheeli isn’t worth her slot, Temporal Manipulation is better than Karn’s Temporal Sundering (bouncing one permanent isn’t as good in a multiplayer format as just being cheaper) and you straight up don’t run enough artifacts for Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge to be good.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help! If I get rid of those cards I think I have enough budget room for Demonic Tutor. I'm building this for my bachelor party where everyone else has nice EDH decks, I'll report back on how it goes.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

axeil posted:

Thanks for the advice! I cut the 3 basics (1 of each), Commander's Sphere and Arcane Denial. If I cut 3 Planeswalkers, what should I replace them with? I was debating putting in Temporal Manipulation, Contagion Engine and/or Demonic Tutor but they're a bit pricey ($10-20ish) and I wasn't sure if they were worth it.

edit: Rings of Brightearth is another but lol at paying the $40ish it's going for right now.

Put one of the basics back and cut Reliquary Tower.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

tzirean posted:

Put one of the basics back and cut Reliquary Tower.

With all the card draw it's not worth it to have a way to get infinite hand size?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

axeil posted:

With all the card draw it's not worth it to have a way to get infinite hand size?

Nope. There's no deck where it's worth it, and especially not in a three-color deck that's playing mostly basics. It's a dead card in your opening hand, and any time you end up with more than 7 cards in your hand, you should be able to narrow it down to 7 that actually matter and discard the chaff.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

axeil posted:

if you just drew 10 cards and can't win the game with only 7 of them, the solution is to put better cards in your deck

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 26, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also even if you ramp crazy hard your biggest turn looks like “playing a planeswalker and an extra turn spell”. You’re generating value through incremental planeswalker activation and value, not just drawing cards.

But War of the Spark tribal is a sweet deck and I hope you smash them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Also even if you ramp crazy hard your biggest turn looks like “playing a planeswalker and an extra turn spell”. You’re generating value through incremental planeswalker activation and value, not just drawing cards.

But War of the Spark tribal is a sweet deck and I hope you smash them.

Thanks! Just put in the order on TCGPlayer since they're doing an 8% off sale due to the Hogaak ban. Gonna use the credit to get the copy of Demonic Tutor :toot:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just got to play some commander with Tomer from MtG Goldfish and Andrew (MtG Muddstah)! It was a good time - hopefully it gets made in to a video.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

tzirean posted:

Nope. There's no deck where it's worth it, and especially not in a three-color deck that's playing mostly basics. It's a dead card in your opening hand, and any time you end up with more than 7 cards in your hand, you should be able to narrow it down to 7 that actually matter and discard the chaff.

It's gotta be worth it in kozilek, right?

Now I'm thinking of which colorless lands I would play it over. I would play it over an elephant graveyard. Panoramas? Maybe.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dr. Stab posted:

Now I'm thinking of which colorless lands I would play it over. I would play it over an elephant graveyard. Panoramas? Maybe.

This post made me curious. First off, Reliquary Tower is played in in 34% of eligible decks... meaning it's in about 90,000 decks.

Are there 40-ish better allowable lands? Maybe? Here is a list of lands useable by colorless commanders excluding some things that add essentially no value, such as Fetchlands and Rupture Spire and City of Brass clones. It's not filtering every useless land, but it's all the ones I found through two pages. It's sorted by EDHRec rank.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Stab posted:

Here's my list of 40 non-basics (also, just play more Wastes) that are better than Tower/Temple for a Kozilek deck.

Ancient Tomb
Arch of Orazca
Blasted Landscape
Blast Zone
Blinkmoth Nexus
Blinkmoth Well
Buried Ruin
Cavern of Souls
Cryptic Caves
Crystal Vein
Darksteel Citadel
Deserted Temple
Dread Statuary
Drownyard Temple
Dust Bowl
Eldrazi Temple
Emergence Zone
Encroaching Wastes
Eye of Ugin
Ghost Quarter
Inkmoth Nexus
Inventor's Fair
Mage-Ring Storage Network
Miren, the Moaning Well
Mishra's Factory
Mobilized District
Mutavault
Rishadan Port
Rogue's Passage
Sanctum of Ugin
Scavenger Grounds
Sea Gate Wreckage
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Strip Mine
Throne of the High City
Tower of the Magistrate
Wasteland
Winding Canyons
Zhalfirin Void
Zoetic Cavern

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

This post made me curious. First off, Reliquary Tower is played in in 34% of eligible decks... meaning it's in about 90,000 decks.

Are there 40-ish better allowable lands? Maybe? Here is a list of lands useable by colorless commanders excluding some things that add essentially no value, such as Fetchlands and Rupture Spire and City of Brass clones. It's not filtering every useless land, but it's all the ones I found through two pages. It's sorted by EDHRec rank.

lol I was basically doing the same thing.

Here's a better search: https://scryfall.com/search?q=-o%3A...id&order=edhrec (It excludes Cavern, though)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Toshimo posted:

lol I was basically doing the same thing.

Here's a better search: https://scryfall.com/search?q=-o%3A...id&order=edhrec (It excludes Cavern, though)

I hadn't thought of how the land searches (Evolving Wilds) had might as well just be a copy of Wastes, outside of maaaybe Myriad Landscape?

Basically, it seems that you can play Tower in this deck if you don't want to pay 60 bux for a Cavern of Souls.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

I hadn't thought of how the land searches (Evolving Wilds) had might as well just be a copy of Wastes, outside of maaaybe Myriad Landscape?

Basically, it seems that you can play Tower in this deck if you don't want to pay 60 bux for a Cavern of Souls.

You'll want a few wastes (at least 2-3) for stuff like Assassin's Trophy, Path to Exile, or Ghost Quarter (depending on meta).

Even then, you're more likely to get mileage from some fringe stuff like Karn's Bastion, or some more manlands/token generators. Honestly, you're playing mono-{C}. How are you not just dumping your hand rapidly?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey friends, I snagged two of the Commander 2019 decks to get back into magic. (Tokens and morph, I believe) Aside from playing these for a few weeks to learn how to play again, what’s the next best step towards building fun and interesting commander decks? I don’t want to go super competitive, but I don’t like losing all the time, so I assume I’ll need to gauge the spend on my decks to match the local meta?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
1) you want a lot of ramp and a lot of cars draw. You need MANA and you need things to do with mana

2) have a solid Plan A

3) run enough removal that you can handle a variety of answers

4) Use your Commander!

A typical breakdown of a Commander deck should be

35-40 lands
10 ramp spells
8-10 draw spells
25-30 cards main deck theme
10-15 mass/spot removal

The more games you get with a deck the better of a feel you’ll get for what the deck wants to do and when it’s firing on all cylinders, and you’ll be able to cut the chaff and find meaningful upgrades.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks, that is a super helpful breakdown. Fifty percent of the deck dedicated to lands and/or ramp seems like tons to me, is that because they are multicolor decks and the high card count means you need more reliability? I vaguely recall when I played (Urza cycle) you’d run about 20-23 lands in a 60-card deck.

How much card draw?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
35-40 lands and 6-10 ramp spells or artifacts that produce mana is crucial because the way most people play this format means you want to be hitting 4-5-6 mana consistently and on curve so you can stay relevant through Mid and Late game.

Card draw is always good but it depends your Commander and their colors. A Blue/x deck is probably gonna have more incidental draw so you can afford to run fewer draw spells. White and red decks can really struggle to refill their hands so running as many draw spells as you can is a good start.

If your Commander has a draw effect or a card advantage engine built in you can get away with fewer, but I’d at least start by making a pile of 10 playable draw spells in your color and put in the very best ones you have room for.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arcturas posted:

Thanks, that is a super helpful breakdown. Fifty percent of the deck dedicated to lands and/or ramp seems like tons to me, is that because they are multicolor decks and the high card count means you need more reliability? I vaguely recall when I played (Urza cycle) you’d run about 20-23 lands in a 60-card deck.

How much card draw?

That's right for a standard deck, but your typical commander game is slower than that. You could play hard aggro and take a lot of unexpecting commander players out that way, but the typical game is full of expensive haymakers. Also, a lot of aggressive plays that would be good in a standard deck don’t really work in commander due to it being multiplayer and 40 life, which is why the game has skewed for more expensive cards that give you a lot more impact per card.

Playing a savannah lions t1 is a lot better when you have 20 life to get through and not 120.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arcturas posted:

Hey friends, I snagged two of the Commander 2019 decks to get back into magic. (Tokens and morph, I believe) Aside from playing these for a few weeks to learn how to play again, what’s the next best step towards building fun and interesting commander decks? I don’t want to go super competitive, but I don’t like losing all the time, so I assume I’ll need to gauge the spend on my decks to match the local meta?

First, let's address cost. Even on the low end, expect your first real deck to cost around $200. That may seem daunting, but that really averages out to $2 per card and (a) half that is probably going to your manabase and (b) by buying better stuff, you'll be more.likely to reuse it in other decks. When people try to push "$50 budget decks", it's usually $49 in garbage draft chaff that you'll never use again while also still not winning.

Second, tell us a bit about the cards/strategies you like in general. You've got the combined experience of goons, many of whom have been playing for as much as 25 years, and we can definitely point you in the right direction of something that fits your style.

Third, remember what the game is about : winning. You don't have to win every match (statistically, against similar players your winrate should be about 25% in 4-person pods). But, your deck should have a game plan to execute on, and.the bulk of it should be dedicated to make that happen.

Last, but certainly not least, don't get caught up in the fallacy that a card is "a Commander card" because it has a big effect for a big cost. Swords to Plowshares is still too tier removal. Counterspell is still better than basically every 3+ cost alternative. Stay low, especially for your interaction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly suggest just jamming two or three games with your new Tokens deck and your new Morph deck and see which one you like better and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toshimo posted:

First, let's address cost. Even on the low end, expect your first real deck to cost around $200. That may seem daunting, but that really averages out to $2 per card and (a) half that is probably going to your manabase and (b) by buying better stuff, you'll be more.likely to reuse it in other decks. When people try to push "$50 budget decks", it's usually $49 in garbage draft chaff that you'll never use again while also still not winning.

Lol, way to poo poo on the proles your majesty

It depends on context. If you want to stay competitive at your FLGS you're probably looking at spending upwards of $150 per deck besides the basics that you'll reuse. But there's nothing wrong with crafting a budget or jank edh deck to use with some friends, especially as a way to bring in new players or players that aren't keen on dropping a few benjamins on something entirely new.