Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Putty posted:

Is this where I can post to see if a rabbit would be a good pet for me? I'm doing it anyway.

I currently live alone in a larger than average suburban studio apartment and work full-time. It gets pretty lonely here because I am a Something Awful goon and was thinking of getting a pet. My landlord disallows dogs but everything else is fair game. I'm not too fond of cats, birds, reptiles, or small rodents, so I was thinking a rabbit would be a good fit. I've been looking into rabbit ownership 101 in my spare time but still can't really decide if I would be able to properly care for a rabbit to the fullest extent. Here are my gripes:

- I work 9 to 5 and sometimes get stuck in overtime up to 8pm or sooner. The rabbit would be alone for possibly 12 hours at a time and I don't know if that's detrimental to a social animal.

- It's very possible to rabbit-proof my home, but I get nervous at the idea that the rabbit would find some way to endanger itself anyway. I would like it to free-roam even when I am not in the house.

- I'm not opposed to getting two rabbits to alleviate the first issue, but it sounds like a much bigger task. I would of course find the most ethical method to get a rabbit and avoid pet store chains.

- If I had to leave for something like a business trip, could I have someone else without rabbit experience easily care for it?

- Do they smell? Does the large amount of hay they eat smell? Do I smell?

For reference, the only other animal I've had as a pet is a small dog.

Where do you live? If you’re in New England I know the BEST rabbit rescue. I would adopt a bonded pair personally. Like with kids, it is more expense/work but not double. A lot of the primary investment can be shared/expanded to accommodate two and their social behavior and overall visibly better quality of life is so worth it. I wouldn’t try to bond two unfamiliar rabbits as a beginner.

As far as getting an unfamiliar sitter, it’s totally doable, but they may be squeamish about poops and litter tray business. Still not nearly as bad as trying to get someone to feed your snake. If you’re worried you can find a place to keep them or make a friend in the rabbit scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Putty posted:

- I work 9 to 5 and sometimes get stuck in overtime up to 8pm or sooner. The rabbit would be alone for possibly 12 hours at a time and I don't know if that's detrimental to a social animal.

- It's very possible to rabbit-proof my home, but I get nervous at the idea that the rabbit would find some way to endanger itself anyway. I would like it to free-roam even when I am not in the house.

- Do they smell? Does the large amount of hay they eat smell? Do I smell?

For reference, the only other animal I've had as a pet is a small dog.

Welcome !

Can't reply to everything but here are some general tips:

- Rabbits are actually a good match for your average 9 to 5 schedule because they are most active in the morning when you wake up and in the evening when you come home. They spend the rest of their time chilling, sleeping, and generally laying about. (see FAU's post on the previous page) Most pet rabbits I've had were alone and that did not cause any issue, although of course I made sure to play with them regularly. Their toys are cheap:

:allears:

- Free roam is doable with a bit of experience and bunny proofing but still very much depends on your rabbit's temperament. In terms of breeds I would probably recommend a Holland lop? They are friendly and usually pretty cuddly, even if a bit stubborn. I think they can be prone to certain hereditary problems though. (specifically: skull malformations leading to teeth misalignment)

- Rabbits don't really smell -especially females- they are clean pets. (just watch them groom the moment you're done petting them, it never fails) However certain foods like endives can make their urine smell. Just make sure to empty their litter box frequently. Cleaning it regularly will also help you notice if they stop pooping entirely, rabbits have very fragile digestive systems and apathy/lack of appetite should be cause for immediate concern. (google "stasis")

Also please never buy those flashy bags of "mix" food available everywhere:
https://www.consoanimo.com/avis-mix-lapins-nains-cereales-riga.html

These are mostly garbage, your bunny will only eat half of it and might develop deficiencies. Hay, fresh vegetables and water should be its main source of food. Good pellets should look like these: https://www.zoomalia.com/animalerie/versele-laga-cuni-complete-pour-rongeurs-adultes-p-16089.html

Lastly, if your only previous experience was with dogs, maybe adopt a flemmish, they're quite big. :D (don't do it)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bun poop is one of the most remarkably scentless substances on earth

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Bun poop is one of the most remarkably scentless substances on earth

I use it as fertilizer for my plants.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I use it as fertilizer for my plants.

As do I! By letting Harriet run around our garden!

She eats the plants and fertilizes it. As well she loves it.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

I live in NJ, a bit far. I would be open to adoption, but I'd honestly prefer to get a young rabbit so I can have it for the longest time. Rescuing obviously has its benefits but I'd have to think carefully on it.

This is all good to hear! I would definitely consider a Holland lop since I love the floppy-eared ones. Cleaning after a litter box personally sounds much better than picking up dog crap.

Feeding sounds a bit more complicated compared to a dog's singular food, but manageable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I must add one crucial thing any new rabbit owner needs to be informed of right away: It is totally normal for a rabbit to have blood-red urine. Creepy, I know!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Same.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Putty posted:

I live in NJ, a bit far. I would be open to adoption, but I'd honestly prefer to get a young rabbit so I can have it for the longest time. Rescuing obviously has its benefits but I'd have to think carefully on it.

This is all good to hear! I would definitely consider a Holland lop since I love the floppy-eared ones. Cleaning after a litter box personally sounds much better than picking up dog crap.

Feeding sounds a bit more complicated compared to a dog's singular food, but manageable.

Feeding is easy. Timothy hay ad libitum and good pellets (Oxbow is my trusted brand) once or twice daily, depending on how you decide to do feeding. Veg is good to supplement as you see fit (but check because certain vegetables can be unhealthy in excess) but giving your rabbits different foods to try and react to is like half the fun.

Young rabbit vs old rabbit is not as concerning as you might think. Rabbits can live to be 12-14 and the vast majority of adult shelter buns are under the age of 4, probably avg about 1-2. A year old rabbit is good since they’ll usually already be fixed and litter trained. At least in my area, HRN will set you up with a fixed/vet assessed rabbit for $75 and a pair for $125. Getting your $25 baby bun fixed and immunized will probably run you in the several hundred easy and you’ll have to find a vet who works on rabbits, which isn’t a given everywhere.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also I highly advise you to work with a rabbit-specific rescue/breeder who can help you with vet poo poo. Please don’t just pick up a bun from a random shelter/county fair/pet store unless you’ve got some experience and already know a vet.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Feeding is easy. Timothy hay ad libitum and good pellets (Oxbow is my trusted brand) once or twice daily, depending on how you decide to do feeding. Veg is good to supplement as you see fit (but check because certain vegetables can be unhealthy in excess) but giving your rabbits different foods to try and react to is like half the fun.

Fwiw we started using an auto feeder when the flems realized they could wake us up for kibble, and now they are pretty attuned to the time and seem to like it. One thing we’ve noticed about buns is that if you’re used to predator pets, it’s easy to assume rabbits will gorge themselves and need to be managed — but ours at least are pretty self regulating. We put out a ton of hay in a manger and then have their kibble feeders, then day to day we hand feed them their vitamins (they get glucosamine because flemmies) and greens and whatnot. But even when they’ve infrequently busted open a bag of kibble they eat much less of it than you might expect.

Anyway this is also partly to say that we’ve found we can leave them with tons of hay, water, and their feeder even overnight without issue when it’s a situation where boarding them would stress them out too much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

boberteatskitten posted:

Fwiw we started using an auto feeder when the flems realized they could wake us up for kibble, and now they are pretty attuned to the time and seem to like it. One thing we’ve noticed about buns is that if you’re used to predator pets, it’s easy to assume rabbits will gorge themselves and need to be managed — but ours at least are pretty self regulating. We put out a ton of hay in a manger and then have their kibble feeders, then day to day we hand feed them their vitamins (they get glucosamine because flemmies) and greens and whatnot. But even when they’ve infrequently busted open a bag of kibble they eat much less of it than you might expect.

Anyway this is also partly to say that we’ve found we can leave them with tons of hay, water, and their feeder even overnight without issue when it’s a situation where boarding them would stress them out too much.

Agreed. The issue with overeating buns is obesity, but that tends to be more about overeating/feeding the wrong kinds of food and about not providing enough space or ability to get exercise.

A rabbit fed predominantly on as much hay as they want and pellets and given lots of space to run and jump and stand up will probably never have obesity issues unless/until they stop moving as much and develop arthritis due to age.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've been looking into adoption/petfinder stuff and forgot you actually have to qualify as a good pet person to adopt and beat out other applicants. This is going to be hard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Putty posted:

I've been looking into adoption/petfinder stuff and forgot you actually have to qualify as a good pet person to adopt and beat out other applicants. This is going to be hard.

lol. Are you white?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If they ask you what you would do if your rabbit destroys something valuable, do NOT say "rabbit stew".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grack posted:

If they ask you what you would do if your rabbit destroys something valuable, do NOT say "rabbit stew".

"Slow-roasted in the oven to savour the revenge"

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lol. Are you white?

What?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Umm, no middle aged shelter lady is gonna make you jump through any hoops to adopt a pet if you're white and clean-cut looking.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am constantly surprised with how chill Harriet is.

Washing machine and dryer in the basement near her lair going? Stretch out, yawn, flop.

Dog next door barking super loud while she's out in the garden? Munch on the hosta, hop on the patio stones and boop my foot, try to climb into the water fountain.

Bunny does not GAF

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dog next door barking super loud while she's out in the garden? Munch on the hosta, hop on the patio stones and boop my foot, try to climb into the water fountain.

Well, it's Harriet. If that dog decides it doesn't want to live anymore, that's out of Harriet's paws.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am gonna check for shivs in the garden

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am gonna check for shivs in the garden

Does she dig roughly six-foot-by-two-foot sections of dirt in the back yard?...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does she dig roughly six-foot-by-two-foot sections of dirt in the back yard?...

No.

The graves she dug is more appropriate for chipmunks or squirrels.

Yes, no joke, she has dug trenches that size in the garden

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Does Harriet sleep in her litter box?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Hey all. I asked on the previous page about moving cross country (Madison, WI to Olympia, WA) with a rabbit and got some good advice. I also have a vet appointment this Thursday to just get a health checkup and to consult on the move cross country, but in the meantime I'm still trying to prep for the move. This aspect of it is probably the thing that's stressing me the most.

So I will be keeping carrots in his carrier in the passenger seat while driving. He's about 4.2 pounds and has a small carrier. Is that enough room? I'll be stopping every two to three hours to let him out of his cage. I just ordered this today for the breaks and for while in the hotel room. I got the large size.

Is the small carrier going to be big enough? The one I have is similar to this Should I get something bigger that will fit a litter box?

Another thing is Carrots is a huge rear end in a top hat when being transferred from his cage to his carrier and never wants to get in. Should I just opt for a bigger carrier that fits a litter box that I can remove from the car every so many hours, put him on some solid ground to relax him and let him eat, and leave the first thing I linked for inside hotel rooms?

Thanks guys.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I would use an absorbent substrate like a pad or even folded up paper towels and maybe count on replacing it easily every few hours. Something that’s ok for him to shred and dig and chew and eat if he gets stressed/because he feels like it and also something that he can piss all over. If you think he’d be more comfortable in his litter box or with furniture that smells like home maybe get a larger carrier.

I’d also make sure he gets lots of water and greens like lettuce with his hay and pellets. Something that won’t give him diarrhea/loose stools/travelers’ tum but will give him moisture and extra hydration (I’d avoid lots of fruit or sugary treats until you’ve arrived). I imagine he’ll have access to food but no real access to water during the driving parts so it’s extra important that you hydrate him when you can. If you’re gonna let him out for breaks maybe make sure he has a bowl to lap out of.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

grack posted:

Does Harriet sleep in her litter box?

Surprisingly no. Just outside it and happy

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Surprisingly no. Just outside it and happy

Well, okay, only one of the signs of a serial killer, then.

Wait, does Harriet like fire?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

grack posted:

Well, okay, only one of the signs of a serial killer, then.

Wait, does Harriet like fire?

I don't let her near the matches anymore

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does anyone else's rabbit hate or love leather? The Himalayan so far has destroyed three pairs of shoes and a purse strap.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does anyone else's rabbit hate or love leather? The Himalayan so far has destroyed three pairs of shoes and a purse strap.

One of the flemmies loves to chew leather. Learned that lesson after a few shoes too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Things have been up and down with Ludo lately. First, I solved the problem with him digging in his litter by putting some slats in there. In the proces of doing that, i realized that there's just no reason to keep him crated anymore. I wasn't even closing him in the crate anymore, since his room is rabbit-proof, it was just convenient to keep his food and litter on a big plastic tray. I kept the plastic tray and put the cage in the cellar.

A few days ago, I thought he might be sick because he wasn't eating his pellets, and I noticed that there were some uneaten cecotropes in his litter box. Now I think the problem is that a) I gave him too much fruit and vegetables on Thursday night and b) the company (Dumor Advanced Diet) changed their formula and he doesn't seem to like it. He'll pick at it, and he's still eating hay, and the romaine lettuce and carrot I offered him, and he's pooping. Is it time to switch to another brand like Oxbow?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

A few days ago, I thought he might be sick because he wasn't eating his pellets, and I noticed that there were some uneaten cecotropes in his litter box. Now I think the problem is that a) I gave him too much fruit and vegetables on Thursday night and b) the company (Dumor Advanced Diet) changed their formula and he doesn't seem to like it. He'll pick at it, and he's still eating hay, and the romaine lettuce and carrot I offered him, and he's pooping. Is it time to switch to another brand like Oxbow?

If you'd like. Some people will slowly mix the two pellet types and wean fussy rabbits from one type of feed to another. Others will just force the issue a bit by removing other options (hay, etc) and waiting until the bun is hungry enough to eat what's on offer, but I've heard stories (urban legends?) of stubborn rabbits going into stasis with that kind of treatment so I've never done it myself.

Jareth was suuuuper picky with his food. At one point I switched from Oxbow to Blue Seal and he refused to touch the new pellets once the Oxbow was all exhausted (he'd sort through the bowl with his face and selectively eat the Oxbow pellets while Spock and Marfa just hoovered everything else down indiscriminately). Then eventually one day he came around to them and decided that he liked them a lot and there was no problem. Then I switched back to Oxbow and it was literally the same exact process all over again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Ludo just...forgot how to drink from his water bottle. Since I took the crate away, his hay rack and bottle are now mounted on the fence that blocks off Kate's art desk. He didn't forget how to eat hay, thankfully.

I've tried to show him how to drink from it, many times. When he's thirsty and I show him how to get water out of it, he just starts lapping water off the floor. So I'm just giving bowls of water and hoping he comes around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Ludo just...forgot how to drink from his water bottle. Since I took the crate away, his hay rack and bottle are now mounted on the fence that blocks off Kate's art desk. He didn't forget how to eat hay, thankfully.

I've tried to show him how to drink from it, many times. When he's thirsty and I show him how to get water out of it, he just starts lapping water off the floor. So I'm just giving bowls of water and hoping he comes around.

Bowls are vastly superior to bottles in every way and every rabbit I've known prefers bowls when given the chance and hates going back to bottles. Bottles are convenient for people, not rabbits (and every bottle I've used dripped). Pet stores sell various kinds of dispensing water bowls at all sorts of price points for cats and dogs. One made for cats should be perfect for 1-4 rabbits. Give it a good clean with every refill/1-2x per week and maybe put down some kind of floor covering if the rab makes a mess.

The rabbit may trip on the bowl or hop into it once or twice at first then they get used to it super quick. My old trio had a basic cat-sized dispensing bowl with the fillable reservoir, available at any pet store for like ~$20 or less, in their wooden Leith cage with absolutely no problem at all. I'd pull it out when they got floor time and it made keeping them hydrated while out and about much easier.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Well, I'll put him back on the gravity waterer, but last time he had it he was just dumb as hell and constantly got his ears wet and immediately found something dirty to drag them through. (I know lops need to dip their ears in hot weather, but his room is the coldest part of the house.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, I'll put him back on the gravity waterer, but last time he had it he was just dumb as hell and constantly got his ears wet and immediately found something dirty to drag them through. (I know lops need to dip their ears in hot weather, but his room is the coldest part of the house.)

Eh it gives him something to do, rabbits are fastidious groomers.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I finally ended up using both and Lillian just picks whatever she wants at the time. If I take one out she won't use the one that's left :shrug:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rabbits are also very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Speaking of which, after one whole year of ignoring the second floor of her pen (I never worked up the courage to just put her up there, the angle is awkward to try to hold her and out her in there and I was afraid she'd kick out) Lil has suddenly discovered it and has now spent all morning loudly barreling up and down the ramp.