Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

What game will Mariota's arm fall off? Game six? Maybe even game nine?

His arm will make it through the entire year and you'll see as such when he's lifting the Lombardi 😎😎😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Thankfully they have a sturdy backup.

he'll be the starter soon enough

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Randaconda posted:

What game will Mariota's arm fall off? Game six? Maybe even game nine?

*Looks at Jags starter.*

Well, this is some pot calling the kettle black stuff to be sure.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Probably Magic posted:

*Looks at Jags starter.*

Well, this is some pot calling the kettle black stuff to be sure.

I just assume they're going to trade for Eli after Foles gets hurt.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1166027653591306240

Cancel the loving season

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol I didn't realize he was doing that

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Metapod posted:

Lol I didn't realize he was doing that

If i remember correctly, he claimed it was his right to do so, since he was the scout team QB and helped the defense get the turnover. He seems like a funny guy, hopefully he can be the man.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My main criticism of him in the 2017 season was that he held on to the ball way too long. I suspect that is still an issue, but I hope that the coaching this time around was better than 2017. Sharp Football had an article that broke it down but basically we were high school levels of predictable in 2017, and Brissett still wasn't the most terrible thing I had seen.

I would be surprised if we don't make moves in the next two years. That said, Ballard is actually trying to build a complete roster. I think you have to have a QB to win, but maybe we can almost Rams ourselves into contention.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Shadow225 posted:

My main criticism of him in the 2017 season was that he held on to the ball way too long. I suspect that is still an issue, but I hope that the coaching this time around was better than 2017. Sharp Football had an article that broke it down but basically we were high school levels of predictable in 2017, and Brissett still wasn't the most terrible thing I had seen.

I would be surprised if we don't make moves in the next two years. That said, Ballard is actually trying to build a complete roster. I think you have to have a QB to win, but maybe we can almost Rams ourselves into contention.

he also got traded for like a week before he started and played behind a bad offensive line in an offense designed to say "gently caress IT WE'RE GOING DEEP". He's been in this offense 2 years, has a good offensive line, and good weapons. The offense will be fine, but not elite like it would have been.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I mean I'm truthfully not sold on the offensive playcalling. I feel that we don't scheme our guys open enough and we just hope they win their individual matchups. I think that Chad Kelly would be a better fit for that system as much as it pains me to say because he can throw the frozen ropes needed to take advantage of the small openings.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Titans OL was once a proud strength of the team. Now, they are dogshit.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's possible the Colts could be the best team because they're the only one who can block anyone? What a world this is.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans OL was once a proud strength of the team. Now, they are dogshit.

Every teams first pick each year should be an offensive lineman, convince me otherwise.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Every teams first pick each year should be an offensive lineman, convince me otherwise.

Defensive linemen exist also. But those 2 options.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I liked Andre Luck well enough and wish him well but people freaking out that it's the end of the world need to take a step back. Let's see if Brissett can play.

Trent Green made way for Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe getting hurt allowed Tom Brady start. Nick Foles led Philly to their first Super Bowl win after Wentz went down. All 3 times each team and their fans assumed their seasons were doomed. Jim Plunkett was brought in off the scrap heap and led the Raiders to 2 Super Bowl victories in 4 years. Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams led the their teams to championships when no one wanted them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked Andre Luck well enough and wish him well but people freaking out that it's the end of the world need to take a step back. Let's see if Brissett can play.

Trent Green made way for Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe getting hurt allowed Tom Brady start. Nick Foles led Philly to their first Super Bowl win after Wentz went down. All 3 times each team and their fans assumed their seasons were doomed. Jim Plunkett was brought in off the scrap heap and led the Raiders to 2 Super Bowl victories in 4 years. Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams led the their teams to championships when no one wanted them.

I feel like Doug Williams doesn't get enough due, that's a hell of a story :kiddo:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Thankfully they have a sturdy backup.

lol why are you even in this thread

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Randaconda posted:

lol why are you even in this thread

what are you, a cop?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

:jpmf:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athanatos posted:

what are you, a cop?

are you done crying yet

(please don't probie me :ohdear:)

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Randaconda posted:

are you done crying yet

(please don't probie me :ohdear:)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i don't get it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm still in disbelief that Luck retired personally

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

I'm still in disbelief that Luck retired personally

I'm not in disbelief that he retired, just how it went down. If I'm the Colts, I'm having a meeting and letting everyone know that leaking something this important to the media before the team has been told its unacceptable, and there would be repercussions.

We can always get Big Q the ball :

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1165389228802564098?s=19

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 27, 2019

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
You're not in disbelief a 29 year old Future HoF lock player retired?

Take a season off, ask for a trade to get a clean start, but straight up retire 2 weeks before season start? That's pretty surprising.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Athanatos posted:

Gronk retired at 29.

Luck had taken a beating, and after the shoulder stuff came out (that he played from Week 3 of 2015 through 2016 with it injured), and a lingering and mysterious leg injury hanging around, it makes sense. In looking at the video of him warming up last week where he was smiling, it got me hopeful that they'd turned a corner, but he was obviously struggling. The timing shocked me a bit, I figured it'd maybe be after the season.

I recently had to have spinal fusion surgery because when I walked or stood for more than 5 minutes or so, my legs would go numb and I got pain in my hips and tailbone. I worked my job for 9 months like that, and it was hell. I wanted my life back. He did it for 4 years.

It really resonated with me when Luck said he couldn't live the life he wanted to live. He has the opportunity to get away from everything, get healthy, and live a life where he's pain free (at least until he hits 40 and falls apart like the rest of us), and not hobbled like some of the previous generations of players. We'd all do the same if we could.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
gronk has more rings that the afc south does

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

gronk has more rings that the afc south does

Hey now, Vinatieri has 4 rings.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Athanatos posted:

"Future HoF lock"

lol

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

JT Jag posted:

"Future HoF lock"

lol

Edit: I didnt mean he's in the Hall now, just if his numbers kept up the way he had been and somehow kept playing past all the injuries, he'd be in the Hall.

Most Passing TDs in First 6 Seasons

• HOF Dan Marino: 196
• IND Andrew Luck: 171
• IND Peyton Manning: 167
• SEA Russell Wilson: 161

Most Passing Yards in First 6 Seasons

• IND Peyton Manning: 24,585 yards
• HOF Dan Marino: 23,856 yards
• IND Andrew Luck: 23,671 yards
• ATL Matt Ryan: 23,472 yards

4 seasons with over 4000 yards.

I mean, he was clearly on the path to greatness.

Also, he was in this gif:

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 27, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think I'm not surprised because we did such a terrible job of keeping him healthy that when he asked himself "is the rest of my career going to be bouncing between huge injuries and painful rehab?" he couldn't say it wouldn't be the case

"future HoF lock" is only compelling in his position if he sees himself making it another 10+ years

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I think I'm not surprised because we did such a terrible job of keeping him healthy that when he asked himself "is the rest of my career going to be bouncing between huge injuries and painful rehab?" he couldn't say it wouldn't be the case

"future HoF lock" is only compelling in his position if he sees himself making it another 10+ years

I think he really only need like 3 full years of production like he had his last few full seasons. If he had 3 more years of 4000+ yards, 35+ TDs, I think he's in pretty easily.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So are like Matt Ryan and Stafford in?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I'd vote for Stafford just for that time he subbed himself back in the game before any coaches noticed and then threw a game winning touchdown.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Athanatos posted:

I'd vote for Stafford just for that time he subbed himself back in the game before any coaches noticed and then threw a game winning touchdown.

Good job Cleveland calling that timeout

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Colts traded Nate Hairston for a 6th round pick from the Jets.

Probably not the worst thing in the world as we are going to have to cut some CBs anyway. Might as well get some value.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Athanatos posted:

That and the fake spike TD justify it easily. Multiple 5k+ seasons. Who says no?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ben Nevis posted:

That and the fake spike TD justify it easily. Multiple 5k+ seasons. Who says no?

everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Y'all gonna tryout Brock Osweiler but not Kaepernick.

Okay.

Okay.