Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How did they not write it off as the literal equivalent of putting a snowflake in a bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Mister Facetious posted:

How did they not write it off as the literal equivalent of putting a snowflake in a bucket?

Neoliberalism rots your brain. It makes you think literally everything can and should be solved by a market.

Also, unless the machine some how vents the heat into space, the machine will cause a net increase of heat in the environment. It’s like suggesting people should keep their fridge door open to cool their home.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No you see, the ambient temperature will freeze it for free, lowering overhead costs! :pseudo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did you know that technology fixes everything? Of course it does!

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1165360221927161856

https://twitter.com/kerplunkthemunk/status/1165686859713761280

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

folks who place their belief in technocratic solutions to social problems don't have any incentive to look at the feasibility of the technology deployed. this is just a more obvious version of "self driving cars will fix traffic" in terms of unsubstantiated belief

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

luxury handset posted:

folks who place their belief in technocratic solutions to social problems don't have any incentive to look at the feasibility of the technology deployed. this is just a more obvious version of "self driving cars will fix traffic" in terms of unsubstantiated belief

At least self-driving cars don't outright violate the second law of loving thermodynamics

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I can’t count the number of times that I’ve heard global warming handwaved away by stemlords who say that once it needs to be done badly enough, a Great Mind will come forward and invent A Thing and we’ll all be saved and continue on with business as usual. This probably explains Musk’s huge fanbase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You see what happens Larry!? You see what happens when you cut funding to grade schools!?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is a pretty great article. Some historian read every Wired magazine ever published, and wrote about how the era of disruption was pretty much 1995-2005, and is completely over now.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2056305119849492

quote:

Disruption tells us that dominant firms are vulnerable, that they likely will not dominate for long. And that mythology has oriented researchers, journalists, investors, and entrepreneurs toward the vulnerability of old institutions and the dynamic potential of start-ups. Scholars from Jill Lepore (2014) to Matthew Hindman (2018) have drawn attention to the flaws in this mythology. But as Vincent Mosco (2004) notes, “Myths are neither true nor false, but living or dead.” My own work on Internet Time has, in its own small manner, helped breathe life into the myths of Internet Time and digital disruption. It is time for us to take a more critical look at stability and disruption. Today’s major platforms deploy the language of disruption to resist regulation. If they are behaving, in fact, more like stable monopolies, then they should be recognized as such.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Disruption was never about shaking up the market to bring on some imagined dream of competitive battleground of small firms.
It was always about becoming the monopoly.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Disruption was never about shaking up the market to bring on some imagined dream of competitive battleground of small firms.

It's also about finding a way to insert yourself into an industry, become a middle man, and squeeze some profit out of rent-seeking.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Literally “and then a miracle happens...” as a method of solving problems. :stare:

Also why is it every one of these idiots have to insist that any carbon-sequestering tech has to be run at a profit? Why can’t we just tax people and operate carbon-reducing tech as a necessary loss, where we eat the cost of the solar / wind farm powering the things and just run them as a manner of, uh, ensuring humanity doesn’t die?

I swear, America can’t do loving anything without bringing its filthy little STD-ridden dick called capitalism along for the ride and insisting it gets a piece of the action. And capitalism fucks us all.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Good luck on your PIP!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

PIPS!!!!!!! :argh:

I remember when I worked in a video game testing company as a games tester, they had a pip system, and I hated it. It wasn't bad on the first full time project I was on, but when I got moved to doing League of Legends skills testing it got really stupid and I got pip'd for not finding enough bugs, DESPITE:

-90% of my work was doing scripts aka following a script of tests to do like making sure there weren't any issues with the skins; this had no bearing on my metrics other than not doing it would also get you pipped.
-1 Bug 1 Person. If a team of four people was needed to find a bug only ONE person got to claim it. Unlike my previous team where we all shared credit on the bug.
-And of course there was a QUOTA system that was a MOVING TARGET week to week; i,e: if people found a LOT of bugs over a 2 week period you needed to also find the AVERAGE number of bugs to not be pipped. So you never really know how many bugs you needed to find to not get pipped.

On top of the fact that I never ever managed to get promoted or whatever, on the company email there would be recruitment calls for special projects to be senior/lead on some new project and having like 3-4 years experience at this point I easily qualified, I'd get to like, the "final round" and then someone else gets picked.

I would try to contact the person asking for feedback as to why I wasn't picked in the end and it was like pulling teeth each time; one time was because the other guy had a portfolio and I didn't provide one, but only because they never asked, and wasn't mentioned in the ad, how am I supposed to know to give them a portfolio for an internal position? Why are they being ridiculously coy, why aren't they providing any kind of mentoring at all?

Eventually I went back to school full time, tried a different game testing company but they were EVEN WORSE and were cracking down on people surfing the internet in their spare time, which I duteously ignored.

Eventually I found a better job teaching highschool students games programming and things improved from there.

I don't think I've ever worked in a more oppressive work environment then those two game testing companies, pip'ing you for being 5 minutes late unless the metro line was down for technical reasons; you were discouraged from discussing your pay with people; my supervisor who was a team lead, at one point got transfered DOWN to being a senior on some other project despite 8 years experience and also lost his pay for his old position and to my knowledge hasn't been given a better position in over 2 years since; and he was an astoundingly good lead.

We were all like, technically "contractors" that were technically employed to some other company and not the game testing company itself.

One day there was this old guy who built/maintained all of the desks and furnitures; and we were told he was let go because the company had a bad quarter and he was let go because he wasn't "revenue", the testers, we were revenue, so were fine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vanity Fair fails to admire Elon Musk.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How are u posted:

It's also about finding a way to insert yourself into an industry, become a middle man, and squeeze some profit out of rent-seeking.

Absolutely. It's just nice to see it spelled out by an actual PolSci academic. There's even a chance that regulators might start listening. :shepface:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

PIPS!!!!!!! :argh:

I remember when I worked in a video game testing company as a games tester, they had a pip system, and I hated it. It wasn't bad on the first full time project I was on, but when I got moved to doing League of Legends skills testing it got really stupid and I got pip'd for not finding enough bugs, DESPITE:

-90% of my work was doing scripts aka following a script of tests to do like making sure there weren't any issues with the skins; this had no bearing on my metrics other than not doing it would also get you pipped.
-1 Bug 1 Person. If a team of four people was needed to find a bug only ONE person got to claim it. Unlike my previous team where we all shared credit on the bug.
-And of course there was a QUOTA system that was a MOVING TARGET week to week; i,e: if people found a LOT of bugs over a 2 week period you needed to also find the AVERAGE number of bugs to not be pipped. So you never really know how many bugs you needed to find to not get pipped.

On top of the fact that I never ever managed to get promoted or whatever, on the company email there would be recruitment calls for special projects to be senior/lead on some new project and having like 3-4 years experience at this point I easily qualified, I'd get to like, the "final round" and then someone else gets picked.

I would try to contact the person asking for feedback as to why I wasn't picked in the end and it was like pulling teeth each time; one time was because the other guy had a portfolio and I didn't provide one, but only because they never asked, and wasn't mentioned in the ad, how am I supposed to know to give them a portfolio for an internal position? Why are they being ridiculously coy, why aren't they providing any kind of mentoring at all?

Eventually I went back to school full time, tried a different game testing company but they were EVEN WORSE and were cracking down on people surfing the internet in their spare time, which I duteously ignored.

Eventually I found a better job teaching highschool students games programming and things improved from there.

I don't think I've ever worked in a more oppressive work environment then those two game testing companies, pip'ing you for being 5 minutes late unless the metro line was down for technical reasons; you were discouraged from discussing your pay with people; my supervisor who was a team lead, at one point got transfered DOWN to being a senior on some other project despite 8 years experience and also lost his pay for his old position and to my knowledge hasn't been given a better position in over 2 years since; and he was an astoundingly good lead.

We were all like, technically "contractors" that were technically employed to some other company and not the game testing company itself.

One day there was this old guy who built/maintained all of the desks and furnitures; and we were told he was let go because the company had a bad quarter and he was let go because he wasn't "revenue", the testers, we were revenue, so were fine.

Oh man, outsourced video game testing is a nightmare for everyone invovlved. The dev's hate for it can also be tracked to the KPI-driven relationship. Oh, a text box is misaligned? You better believe that there's a bug filed for it for every localisation of the game. Then the devs need to be constantly reminded of the importance of correctly tracking and flagging dupes, which they find to be a complete waste of time. And let's not get started on the turnaround time for clarifications, urg...

I'm legit surprised Riot is/was bothering with it because in my eyes, it only makes sense for companies that need that much testing manpower in occasional bursts in the first place.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

You see what happens Larry!? You see what happens when you cut funding to grade schools!?

I think this is more an issue with funding for mental health

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aramis posted:

Oh man, outsourced video game testing is a nightmare for everyone invovlved. The dev's hate for it can also be tracked to the KPI-driven relationship. Oh, a text box is misaligned? You better believe that there's a bug filed for it for every localisation of the game. Then the devs need to be constantly reminded of the importance of correctly tracking and flagging dupes, which they find to be a complete waste of time. And let's not get started on the turnaround time for clarifications, urg...

I'm legit surprised Riot is/was bothering with it because in my eyes, it only makes sense for companies that need that much testing manpower in occasional bursts in the first place.

Or if they want to circumvent labor laws.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

I think this is more an issue with funding for mental health

While crazy people are out there, I believe there's a fundamental lack of teaching in critical thinking/cross examination and research at the primary and secondary school levels.

There's plenty enough sane people that believe in stupid poo poo that we don't need crazy people as a scapegoat.

And yes, before you say it, I'm in favor of helping both. I still remember the reign of the right honorable Premier "Chainsaw" Mike Harris, who slashed funding to each. :canada:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 27, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Aramis posted:

I got into the business as an in-house tester. That path, all the way to exec level, doesn't exist anymore and the industry suffers for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Game testing contractor is just another part of the gig economy. Its Uber for nerds.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/NishRocks/status/1166388405581709313

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is a pretty great article. Some historian read every Wired magazine ever published, and wrote about how the era of disruption was pretty much 1995-2005, and is completely over now.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2056305119849492

The author of this article is the guy who called Bret Stephens a bedbug.

Edit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davekarpf/status/1166094950024515584

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 27, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

The author of this article is the guy who called Bret Stephens a bedbug.

Edit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davekarpf/status/1166094950024515584

Haha -- I didn't even know who Bret Stephens was, but this sounds awesome.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Oh lol, LinkedIn is trying to push this job at me:

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1348333381

quote:

At Postmates X, we are reimagining how things move in cities. Serve, our personable sidewalk delivery robot, is our vision for the future of delivery. It’s designed to take deliveries away from congested streets and onto underutilized alleys and sidewalks, to save energy, reduce emissions, reduce traffic, and make deliveries faster and cheaper. Why move two-pound burritos with two-ton cars?

Serve has been years in the making and has already done thousands of customer deliveries.

Yes, there are so many "underutilized alleys and sidewalks" in the more heavily populated parts of Vancouver that are totally not filled with pedestrians for this thing to get in the way of. Sounds like a great idea.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Has anyone thrown an iPhone at Bret Stephens

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, there are so many "underutilized alleys and sidewalks" in the more heavily populated parts of Vancouver that are totally not filled with pedestrians for this thing to get in the way of. Sounds like a great idea.

this technology is completely not mature because any place where it is feasible to have a small, slow robot moving along sidewalks is also a place where it is feasible for people to walk themselves to get a burrito, meaning your market is necessarily capped to folks who are too lazy or want the novelty of a robot with a max range of like 30 blocks

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
"Lazy humans" is a really big demographic though

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Where I live, some of those "underutilized alleys" have hazards like potholes several inches deep filled with standing water, broken glass, uneven terrain, illegally parked trucks blocking the whole alley, and people who wouldn't hesitate to vandalize or steal a robot.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

luxury handset posted:

this technology is completely not mature because any place where it is feasible to have a small, slow robot moving along sidewalks is also a place where it is feasible for people to walk themselves to get a burrito, meaning your market is necessarily capped to folks who are too lazy or want the novelty of a robot with a max range of like 30 blocks

OK but how far are we defining a block to be?

In NYC it's 0.2 miles per block, but it varies elsewhere, and a lot of people with disabilities can't go more than a mile or two without major problems.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone proposed a robot-based delivery service where the robots are outsourced so the tech company can unload the risk related to having their property roaming the streets unattended? Like where you or I "invest" in the purchase of a delivery robot (helpfully financed by the delivery company if necessary) and then we connect it to their service and take a cut of the delivery fee. We would be responsible for maintenance of the robot of course and liable for any problems the robot might cause.

This seems too obvious to have been missed unless the robot technology isn't there yet.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Konstantin posted:

Where I live, some of those "underutilized alleys" have hazards like potholes several inches deep filled with standing water, broken glass, uneven terrain, illegally parked trucks blocking the whole alley, and people who wouldn't hesitate to vandalize or steal a robot.

Ok but what if the robot had a gun

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

luxury handset posted:

I would rob that burrito robot just on principal.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

suck my woke dick posted:

Ok but what if the robot had a gun

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A gun is more dangerous to the owner than anyone else.

Robot commits suicide, I get a burrito.

Checkmate.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

withak posted:

Has anyone proposed a robot-based delivery service where the robots are outsourced so the tech company can unload the risk related to having their property roaming the streets unattended? Like where you or I "invest" in the purchase of a delivery robot (helpfully financed by the delivery company if necessary) and then we connect it to their service and take a cut of the delivery fee. We would be responsible for maintenance of the robot of course and liable for any problems the robot might cause.

This seems too obvious to have been missed unless the robot technology isn't there yet.

Tesla is working on it, appreciating cars I tell you!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah, I don't really have a need to steal one of the scooters lying around, but I'd 100% be riding around looking for food to pilfer from these dumb robots.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BeeSeeBee posted:

Tesla is working on it, appreciating cars I tell you!

I was thinking something a little more accessible to a gig economy person, maybe in the $3-5k range for a robot that gets around on sidewalks and bike paths.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spacewolf posted:

OK but how far are we defining a block to be?

In NYC it's 0.2 miles per block, but it varies elsewhere, and a lot of people with disabilities can't go more than a mile or two without major problems.

my argument doesn't change if you formally define the distance covered by a block

if you create a delivery robot with the same rough form factor as a pedestrian, then you are bound to use pedestrian infrastructure. this places a couple constraints on your robot

-you can only operate where there is pedestrian infrastructure like sidewalks and crosswalks in good repair
-your robot must move slowly enough to not be a hazard to actual humans sharing that infrastructure
-if your robot is slower, the range at which it can operate while keeping food heated is somewhat limited as well

these constrains necessarily restrict the operating area of your robot to places where food delivery makes the least sense. not no sense at all, i'm sure there are some applications for this robot. but nobody wants to order food to show up two hours from now, that's a long time to wait and the food will likely be gross by the time it shows up. assuming the robot moves at a brisk walking pace and we don't want to spend more than 30 minutes on a single delivery run, then the robot will be be able to travel about two miles. so it will work great in the major downtown areas which are already walkable and amenable to food delivery, but less so in the large areas of america which are designed for automobile travel. really this thing would just replace underpaid gig workers which... great???

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Robots getting mugged in dark alleys with no CCTV. It's a bizarre wealth redistribution method, but sure, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aramis posted:

Eeeeeeeeh.

For a game like Riot (Speaking of which I got a really nice shirt out of the job from Riot and 50,000 RP so it wasn't all bad, the shirt even had my account nickname on the back!!!!) which charges a premium for cosmetics, its VERY important to test them thoroughly to make sure all of the visual effects and sound effects work; otherwise you'll get a mass of charge backs and bad PR.

To make sure every skin works with every change and in every conceivable circumstances is a lot of manpower. This is just for skins; things like gameplay, balance, multiplayer, all of these were all basically their own dedicated teams with at least a dozen people; we had maybe 6 weeks lead time on the public build for testing changes.

And this isn't even including the Polish team in Poland working for some other game testing company for some reason.

The KPI's sucked though definitely and leads to the behavior you described where we would fight to include every bug we could and argue passive-aggressively with the developers in the comments.

As for labour laws I think the main thing was denying us benefits. We worked 37.5 hours a week, did not have paid lunch breaks, no sick days, no vacation days.

My understanding is the two big game testing companies in Montreal (VMC and Babel) basically both got bought out by Keywords Studios and its become vastly worse place to work.

But I can see the need for a large dedicated and professional team of testers and why it might not be ideal to have a large in house team when a more professional 3rd party might be better at it. In. Theory.

My understanding is the dev's/publisher are the ones who mandated quotas on us; which probably didn't help with our attitudes towards them.

I never had to worry about quotas with Wizards of the Coast for MTGO. I think we typically could always find so many bugs with each new set that they saw no point.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 27, 2019