Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ItBreathes posted:

Someone pointed out upthread that there are actually several different kinds of planetary maps and each stations vendor only gives one. The tooltip for the map will tell you what kind it is and they dont stack.

This is almost as dumb as the decision to make me do it one navigation data at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah there's a mod that gives them different graphics but it's not compatible out-of-the-box with any mod that makes it so you can trade it more than one nav data at a time so no one uses it lol

oh wait nope, it's compatible with the best one, actually:

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1202
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1145

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 27, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Screenshot time! So after playing a bit in April, I basically put NMS on hiatus for a while to do other poo poo, but last week I came back and played 10+ hours over the weekend until I finally got my first major goal (mostly) done! Of course this means I now have to share some screenshots with you!

Some of these are old enough I don't know if I posted them before. Edit: But looking through my folders I realized the stuff from April was just moldering on my hard drive without ever getting uploaded, so here you go, I guess! (This one is a spooky special planet.)

The next planet over was a lot nicer. This here is still my current ship, thanks to looking a bit like one of the Viper-fighters from old Battlestar Galactica and because it has a lot of slots.

This was also Dinosaur Planet. (I tried to get a better pic, but that dinosaur was too skittish and kept running away when I walked closer.)

Back then the procgen had been changed to allow for planets with more and deeper water and of course I had to abuse this the first water planet I found.

This green stuff at least gave some Carbon as this water planet had like 0% of the normal resources. (Disclaimer: While I excessively added multiple protection modules and poo poo to my exosuit to stay longer in water, I never added the update to my water jets.)

Those things periodically expelled streams of boiling water and hurt like mad.

I also got hurt a lot by those armored clams, as I am not very smart and it took me ages to understand how they work.

This particular planet was 100% water with some tiny islands. The islands were nice for landing, but had zero resources. Everything you needed, you would have to somehow get from plants and other poo poo. Eventually I ran out of juice for starting so I had to leave this planet behind. Beautiful, but sadly not really good for staying. (But who knows, with the new thing you can add to your launchers to recharge them, planets like this one could see a renaissance.)

Yes of course? I ... will help ... the Gek Federation?

I did not help the Gek Federation

I just loved this space station.

My Viper in flight.

wait poo poo bad screenshot, let's try this again

Thanks game

Game, I have other problems now then improving my loving water jets

A hexagon planet. The only lifeform here was a floating hexagon with tentacles, but I forgot to screenshot it. I called it "Wargame-Hoverer" or something dumb like that.

OK, what the gently caress is that?

Some kind of floating energy being?

Classified as "animal", so not exactly Q-material. Still weird.

Another hexagon planet.

My first visit to the new anomaly. Tons of new blueprints and many thousands of nanites were collected here.

Have this random infested terminal because I was too stupid to save the screenshots from the abandoned space station I visited.

Hell yes! My first exocraft! Now I can visit my second base on this planet slightly faster

(Don't worry, I eventually build a second teleporter on that base. But that's another terrible story, for another terrible time.)

Next up: Brutalist utilitarian industrial architecture

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've been taking screenshots too!

felt cute might delete later

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

gek acer federation of gamers

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

dogstile posted:

Yeah, i've been trying the maps and the ships, its just constant alien artifacts or trading posts, i'll try some more. At the very least the minor settlement suggestion will be able to bear fruit, pretty sure there's one nearby that i forgot to check the components of.

ItBreathes posted:

Someone pointed out upthread that there are actually several different kinds of planetary maps and each stations vendor only gives one. The tooltip for the map will tell you what kind it is and they dont stack.
Yea. I've noticed Korvax = Ancient ruines (monoliths), Vy'Keen = distress signals, Gek = secured facilities (manufacturing facilities). If you want blueprints, I'd definitely recommend sticking with purchasing maps from Gek dominated systems at the space station.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So for that Wiring Loom exploit do I need to buy ALL the Wiring Looms instead of a bunch? Before anyone chimes in with "use cheatengine" I am on ps4

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Someone mentioned earlier it no longer works. No corroborating witnesses though.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Cobalt crashing is still working fine.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

ijii posted:

Yea. I've noticed Korvax = Ancient ruines (monoliths), Vy'Keen = distress signals, Gek = secured facilities (manufacturing facilities). If you want blueprints, I'd definitely recommend sticking with purchasing maps from Gek dominated systems at the space station.

This is not at all correct, and any variety of chart can be sold by any species.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It usually doesn't take more than a couple of jumps to find the charts you need though, so it's not that much of an issue

marumaru
May 20, 2013

magiccarpet posted:

Cobalt crashing is still working fine.

how much do you need more or less
ive had no luck

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

You need a lot of wiring looms to crash the market, like 40 stacks. Less still works, but it won't bottom out the price and you won't make much profit.

Cobalt works well at the start since you can mine it immediately. Make sure you run any tetracobalt through the refiner since it turns into 150 cobalt.

I used cobalt and the refined cobalt (less stations but bigger profits) until I had a lot of empty storage to do wiring looms. I think I started with around 5000 cobalt.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Inacio posted:

how much do you need more or less
ive had no luck

I started with a half a stack and 2 million space bucks.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

So for that Wiring Loom exploit do I need to buy ALL the Wiring Looms instead of a bunch? Before anyone chimes in with "use cheatengine" I am on ps4

All the looms at a typical station still won't be enough to really crash the market, but the looms from two stations gets you there. But if you don't have 5+ mil and lots of inventory space then start with something cheaper, like cobalt.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
seems absolutely insane that you'd design a semi-reactive market like NMS has without even a casual thought as to how people might exploit it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

magiccarpet posted:

I started with a half a stack and 2 million space bucks.

well that explains it. i was trying with like 1000 cobalt.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I had been flying from system to system looking for places to get enough ingredients to make the expensive thing I have a recipe for to sell for mad money only to realise the insane number of scan mods I have means I've made 30million just scanning the poo poo I see on the planets I'm landing on.

I feel like the 1 mil i get from making this thing will hardly be worth the bother compared to scanning a planet full of giant nuclear dinosaurs... (I named that one nuclear jurassic park. everything there is huge & they all want you dead)

ps is 'scaly meat' useful for anything? i have... an amount of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

once you purchase the nutrition station blueprints from the anomaly you can process it into food and bait. otherwise no.
sweet ship!

Broken Cog posted:

It usually doesn't take more than a couple of jumps to find the charts you need though, so it's not that much of an issue
total number of secure sites map vendors found: 0
:mad:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I honestly still prefer just raiding planetary depots for ingredients and then crafting the expensive trade goods to sell. Takes a little grinding for the recipes themselves, but after that, every depot is a pretty good payout. Sitting at about 500 million right now without having really tried.

Just station hop and look for planetary depot quests, and it shouldn't take long to get enough to make a couple of the 15 million goods

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sad that my base has nothing to mine next to it. There's no way to just pack up the whole thing and move it without replacing literally everything is there? Being able to pull down a base you had previously made would be cool.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Verviticus posted:

seems absolutely insane that you'd design a semi-reactive market like NMS has without even a casual thought as to how people might exploit it

It is (or was) a largely single player game. There aren't really any consequences to people exploiting it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dogstile posted:

Sad that my base has nothing to mine next to it. There's no way to just pack up the whole thing and move it without replacing literally everything is there? Being able to pull down a base you had previously made would be cool.

Not exactly, but if you build a Base Salvage Capsule you will get refunded all materials used in building the base.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ItBreathes posted:

It is (or was) a largely single player game. There aren't really any consequences to people exploiting it.
also, 500m is more than enough to buy the absolutely largest freighter possible and 200m is more than enough to buy the largest spaceship available - and even then knock off like 50% for your trade-in value.
those are the single biggest purchases you can make in the game and you might never even find a seller to make them from.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Broken Cog posted:

Not exactly, but if you build a Base Salvage Capsule you will get refunded all materials used in building the base.

Do you build it in the base and then demolish it? I am pretty sure with all the electricity and building bugs with old bases I am just going to rebuild my main base elsewhere

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Do you build it in the base and then demolish it? I am pretty sure with all the electricity and building bugs with old bases I am just going to rebuild my main base elsewhere

I'm actually not sure how it works right now, but before, you just plopped it down, chose "Delete base" from the base computer, and everything would be put into it.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Wiring Loom market exploitation is 100% work! Big money, big prizes!

As I was going station portal hoping for fill up on mission board missions anyways, I decided to see for myself if it worked. I'm a goon and a scholar, so I brought numbers back.

Theory for those not keeping up with the thread (Skip down for the numbers):
When you sell a LOT of an items to a market, its buy and sell values crash. You can turn around and buy the same item back from the station for a fraction of what you sold it for. So if you seed yourself some an item from a station or three you start turning a profit at every station there after because you dump for big money and buy it back for very little, rinse, repeat. Caveat, the station has to sell the item to begin with or you can't buy it back.

For Wiring Looms you'll need 10 mil or so ready cash to seed youself and At least exosuit space for 250 Wiring Looms

Here's the results, rounded because :effort:

Station 1 (S1)
Bought 69 for 4mil
S2
Sold 69 for 3.4mil
Bought 148 for 6.9mil
(I'm down 7.5mil now)
S3
Sold 148 for 7mil
Bought 203 6.2 mil
(Down 6.7mil)
S4
Sold 203 for 10mil
Bought 244 5.7mil
(Down 2.4mil)
S5
Sold 244 for 12.4mil
Bought 274 for 4.4mil
(PROFIT! 5.6mil)
S6
Sold 274 for 13.7mil
Bought 308 for 3.7mil
S7
Sold 308 for 15.1mil
Bought 324 for 3.8mil

poo poo gets crazy from here, my max capacity for this experiment was 570 Wiring Looms. Which were selling for 28.7mil and buying back for 6.9mil. So long story short every station I visit from here on out earns me ~22mil for less than 30 seconds work. I guess I can tear down the activated indium mine.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ItBreathes posted:

well no but its not really much different from just not having monetary values for items. theres a difference between making money pretty quick through whatever use of mechanics and this and it shows (along with a lot of other things) a shocking lack of foresight from their design process, is all. i dont care that its there but i mean, why bother designing an economy if you leave in something that predictable and fixable

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

What's the strategy in Beyond to get cool spaceships? Nobody ever lands in my cruiser and space stations barely get traffic let alone class A or S ships.... They all look super bad also.

I remember hanging out in space stations in Next and I was able to nab a special S explorer one.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Get an economy scanner and fly to systems that sound rich in the galaxy map, then use the same scanner to find a trade depot. I think each system has 7 or so ship. types so once you get there just idle for a few minutes checking them out with your visor scanner.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Hemish posted:

What's the strategy in Beyond to get cool spaceships? Nobody ever lands in my cruiser and space stations barely get traffic let alone class A or S ships.... They all look super bad also.

I remember hanging out in space stations in Next and I was able to nab a special S explorer one.

It's all RNG.
Each system has a fixed set of ship designs (21 total).
Class and slot loadout probabilities are influenced by economy level of the system.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Get an economy scanner and fly to systems that sound rich in the galaxy map, then use the same scanner to find a trade depot. I think each system has 7 or so ship. types so once you get there just idle for a few minutes checking them out with your visor scanner.

Wait... how can I find specific buildings with my ship scanner?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hemish posted:

Wait... how can I find specific buildings with my ship scanner?

Use the D-Pad when flying in your ship to pick Utilities on the far left, and then select the Economy Scanner -> Find Trade Depot (assuming you've built that module in your ship's slots).

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Use the D-Pad when flying in your ship to pick Utilities on the far left, and then select the Economy Scanner -> Find Trade Depot (assuming you've built that module in your ship's slots).

:stare:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Can confirm trade depots on planets seem to attract ships way faster than the space stations at the mo' possibly a bug with stations. I've seen more than a few S classes on those. I have one tagged (have a base nearby) because I'm eyeing off one of those haulers with 48 spots that keeps showing up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I just found out about it today after flying around planets and using the signal booster like an rear end in a top hat.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ship Scumming 101:

- find rich systems only ('wealthy', 'prosperous', etc) of the species you need (vyk=fighter, gek=hauler, korv=explorer)
- each system has 21 ships. The ratio is 7-7-3-3-1. 7 shuttles, 7 of the system species 3 of each of the other two, and 1 exotic.
- Find a trading Post (as detailed earlier), pop down a save, and reload until you a) see the ship you want or b) have seen all 7 of the kind you're looking for and don't like them, whereafter you warp to the next system.

When you find the style of ship you want, you can now reload over and over and over, because while the design stays the same, it's class (C-S) and # of slots are randomized each reload.

S Class will ALWAYS have max slots, however.

Tips:
....Boost up on top of the trading Post and save there. It's easier to see incoming ships.
.... 7-9 ships spawn every reload.
....Use your scanner to look at the ships while they're flying in. If you can get them in your sights, you'll be be able to see their class and slots.
....be advised, Scumming for an S Class can take hours and hours. There's only a 2% chance of one spawning in a wealthy system, only a 1 in 3 chance of your ship being in system when it does, and only a 1 in 7 chance of your ship being the one that does, so... get comfortable.
....Medium economy systems CAN spawn an s class but it's only 1% which means hundreds of extra reloads to feed the RNG gods. Poor systems cannot spawn an S class

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 28, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sweet ship but what the gently caress is that? A floating bell tower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

sigher posted:

Sweet ship but what the gently caress is that? A floating bell tower?

The Beyond update hosed all the ancient ruins and stuff. Pic looks like the top of one.