Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My name is Eyebrows -

Professor Pronounced Eyebrows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Darthemed posted:

Uncanny Origins #1 (1996).
Dave Hoover (pencils) and Bill Anderson (inker).

Uncanny Origins : The Monarch.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
How lesser known secondary mutation: the likeness of a picasso portrait.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm fine with the art style, but the left side of his head is some proper Liefeld Captain America chest fuckery.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm fine with the art style, but the left side of his head is some proper Liefeld Captain America chest fuckery.

It's clearly intentional since he drew it with the same balance but from a slightly different angle in the two panels. It's also a really bad idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've noticed that in some foreign/non-U.S. comics that while the art is good, they usually draw and represent the black characters as caricatures.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Uncanny Origins #1 (1996).
Dave Hoover (pencils) and Bill Anderson (inker).

I think his secondary mutation is his eyebrows

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not every artist does it but Xavier's had prominent eyebrows since the beginning because he is based on Yul Brynner.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I'm reading through the follow up comics to Angel and holy hell how did this art get greenlit, it's like d-grade webcomic art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Catfishenfuego posted:

I'm reading through the follow up comics to Angel and holy hell how did this art get greenlit, it's like d-grade webcomic art.

Looks like Andy Kuhn?

The thing with licensed books is that most upper tier artists generally don't want to work on them unless it's really popular poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

reminds me of BPRD

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Rhyno posted:

The thing with licensed books is that most upper tier artists generally don't want to work on them unless it's really popular poo poo.

or alternatively huge fans of the franchise in question

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

or alternatively huge fans of the franchise in question

Which usually ends in disaster when they realize they don't have the passion they thought they did.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Is it poor money compared to super hero comics?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Galvanik posted:

Is it poor money compared to super hero comics?

non Marvel/DC comic book companies tend to be poor money compared to Marvel/DC/Image, so I guess technically

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

non Marvel/DC comic book companies tend to be poor money compared to Marvel/DC/Image, so I guess technically

Dunno if this is the right thread for it since the "business of LCS" is gone but I'm genuinely curious as to what is considered poor money vs good in this field - is it like $40k a year for smaller companies and the Big 2 are double that?

And the A-list guys, like say Hickman or Bendis - are they pulling in hundreds of thousands plus revenue/profit sharing? I believe many of the writers and artists are considered contractors as well so they don't even get healthcare, other benefits, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is another E&C field of knowledge. But as far as I know, you only get benefits if you are a full time employee of the big two.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
As a rule signing an exclusive contract with Marvel or DC gives you and your family health insurance. But there's a lot of variance in exclusive contracts: some of them allow for outside creator-owned or television/film/prose work and some don't, some contracts stipulate a certain number of books/pages, some guarantee Project X or Y will happen, and I can feel like there have been scenarios where a creator turns down the health insurance (whether it's because they're covered by a spouse, aren't based out of the US, think they're too young and healthy for it to matter) and take a higher base pay in place of the insurance.

But after they sort of stopped the Exclusives War of the 1990s, it's harder to tell who exactly has these contracts, and it's probably not the majority of creators at the Big Two.

Based solely on searching Newsarama (who faithfully reprint pretty much every press release) for "exclusive" show that in the past year or so DC has announced "exclusive contracts" with Brian Michael Bendis, Alvaro Martinez Bueno, Mitch Gerads, Jorge Jimenez, David Marquez, Sean Murphy, Steve Orlando, Robson Rocha, Rafa Sandoval, Otto Schmidt, Tim Seeley, Liam Sharp, and James Tynion IV.

Marvel has similarly announced exclusives with Ed Brisson, Donny Cates, Patrick Gleason, Tini Howard, Matthew Rosenberg, Kelly Thompson, and Chip Zdarsky.

The contracts themselves are kind of weird (not that I've seen any of them, but people will describe theirs sometimes) in that I don't think most of them have guaranteed money, but they may offer a rate premium. Some of them have quotas for pages/covers and if your two years is up and you haven't written/drawn enough to satisfy the contract you're still on the hook.

This combination leads to some of the weirdness that you see in comics, including fill-ins in both directions; not to point fingers at anyone but it's one of (a huge number of reasons) that some books will just get delayed for months because of a writer or artist being late, while other times rather than let a book slip off the schedule for two weeks you a co-writer or eight pages of a book drawn by someone out of nowhere. It's also why sometimes an A/B list artist is suddenly doing a fill in on a C-list book, that's definitely been a case of 'if I don't draw something I'll never fulfill my contract/get paid, and A-list writer is three months behind on scripts, so... there's a Cowboys of MOO Mesa vs. Punisher book coming out in November? Put me in, coach!"

It *does* make me kind of even more curious about whatever is going on with Johns's books over at DC, given that Frank/Fabok/Eaglesham may not be on exclusive contracts (they've all had them in the past, but I can't find any info if they're in one currently) but all of them have had their productivity (in terms of published work) plummet since their various Johns projects kicked off a couple of years ago. I should say all three of them live outside of the United States so at least the health insurance thing isn't an issue for them.

As to the original question about how much money there is in doing comics, it varies wildly. Marvel and DC generally pay better than [insert indie here] but within both realms the variance is still pretty high. No one really ever talks about it so it's all reading tea leaves.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I realize the info might not be available then but I wonder which writers have made the most money off comic writing and related media. Kirkman from tv? Millar from Kinsgman? Ennis is probably getting something for Boys + Preacher. Moore by sheer volume?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Moore has said that the money for his stuff getting adapted isn't great, which is why he made the decision to not be credited on adaptations any more and just gives the money to the artist.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it's hard to top Stan Lee, probably.

Without knowing any of the details (and not being sure entirely what 'counts' as money coming from comics/comic related media) I'm guessing Lee might be edged out by folks like Jim Davis and Charles Schulz, if you want to count them.

Also Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird are probably in the mix, they fully owned the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles during the peak of their popularity in the late 1980s/early 1990s, and sold them to Nickelodeon for about $10M back in 2009.

Based on the entirely spurious and arbitrary Celebrity Net Worth website, they've got

Charles Schulz: $1 Billion
Jim Davis: $800M
Matt Groening: $600M
Todd McFarlane: $300M (?!?!)
Bill Watterson: $100M
Scott Adams: $75M
Gary Larson: $70M
Stan Lee: $50M
Frank Miller: $45M
Garry Trudeau: $40M
Robert Kirkman: $30M
Mark Millar: $25M
Kevin Eastman: $20M
Robert Crumb: $20M
Brad Meltzer: $20M
Neil Gaiman: $18M
Jamie Hewlett: $15M
Peter Laird: $20M
Alan Moore: $10M
Jim Lee: $10M
Chris Claremont: $10M
Marc Silvestri: $8M
J. Michael Straczynski: $6M
Paul Dini: $6M
Geoff Johns: $5M
Brian Michael Bendis: $4M
George Perez: $3M
John Byrne: $3M
Rob Liefeld: $2M
Craig Thompson: $1M

While this list still feels like just someone throwing darts at poo poo, it mostly makes sense to me (McFarlane aside, unless I'm missing something), though it also feels like it's taking into account not just income but like "how have you handled your money", since someone like Liefeld was probably making more than $2M a year during the early days of Image, and Eastman/Laird made tons of money but also poured a ton of it back into weird projects and doomed publishing initiatives and the Xeric Grant and etc. etc. etc.

Also obviously I understand if you don't consider the Simpsons TV show as 'comics related' or the money Schulz/his estate get for Met Life ads to be officially "comics related". Even some of the lower ranked people like JMS and Gaiman have probably made more money outside of comics than in it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The Gary Larson one kind of surprises me as The Far Side hasn't been a thing in ages, never got turned into any other media (as far as I know) and doesn't really get printed any more.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Madkal posted:

The Gary Larson one kind of surprises me as The Far Side hasn't been a thing in ages, never got turned into any other media (as far as I know) and doesn't really get printed any more.

Licensing. Those t-shirts and calendars add up.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Madkal posted:

There were collection books and calendars for sure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Far Side books, calendars (esp. comic-a-day desk calendars), and greeting cards were everywhere in the late 1980s. It was a legit cultural phenomenon.

e: I'm pleased to see that Bill Watterson still has more money than Scott Adams, even though he retired 25 years ago to live quietly and walked away from a zillion dollars in merchandising offers while Adams has spent that quarter century endless shilling stuff (the Dilberito! books about brain magic! a series of seminars for pointy-haired bosses!).

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 6, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IIRC, he was making new strips exclusively for calendars for a while. They were ridiculously popular

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was in a lot of newspapers. I think it still is in some places.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Todd McFarlane has all that sweet sweet action figure money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was a Far Side animated special at one point but that's probably nothing compared to decades of calendars.

As for Todd, I bet he just managed to sell the Spawn rights at exactly the right time to make a ton of money.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I misread "Jim Davis" as "Jack Davis" and was pretty confused for a minute.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Todd has some major financial problems some years ago, is there a ranking for most money lost?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I figure Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa must be making decent bank as creator/showrunner for Riverdale, even if he's not in the Groening/Schulz level.

Does Greg Berlanti count, even though AFAIK he's never written any actual comics?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Todd has some major financial problems some years ago, is there a ranking for most money lost?

Stan Lee?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel like being exploited at the end of your life shouldn't count.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not like he willingly made those decisions, he was manipulated. Todd threw his money away of his own free will.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

FMguru posted:

Far Side books, calendars (esp. comic-a-day desk calendars), and greeting cards were everywhere in the late 1980s. It was a legit cultural phenomenon.

e: I'm pleased to see that Bill Watterson still has more money than Scott Adams, even though he retired 25 years ago to live quietly and walked away from a zillion dollars in merchandising uh.offershole lotta do while Adams has spent that quarter century endless shilling stuff (the Dilberito! books about brain magic! a series of seminars for pointy-haired bosses!).

All those Official Calvin Peeing On _________ stickers add up to a whole lotta dough.

(edit: plus all that Ritalin and Adderall pharma stock he invested in, of course.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silver Surfer: Black #4

Event Leviathan #4

King Thor #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trad Moore is so loving good.

I like the event leviathan page too.

The third one does nothing for me though. It’s just standard fare comic art.