Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tim Whatley posted:

Disney will probably just buy Netflix in 2 years

Netflix has an unsustainable debt load for sure, but their market cap is in the neighborhood of $130 billion, and even Disney doesn't have that sort of cash on-hand, especially not after the Fox acquisition closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Netflix has an unsustainable debt load for sure, but their market cap is in the neighborhood of $130 billion, and even Disney doesn't have that sort of cash on-hand, especially not after the Fox acquisition closed.

Yea I guess the assumption is that if/when there comes a point where Netflix needs to get the debt down they can pretty easily just turn the cashflow on by just dialing back on production of new content for a year or two. They spend an ungodly amount on content every year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I guess the assumption is that if/when there comes a point where Netflix needs to get the debt down they can pretty easily just turn the cashflow on by just dialing back on production of new content for a year or two. They spend an ungodly amount on content every year.

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens when they lose the licenses to some of their most popular shows. Friends and The Office are both getting yanked early next year, I'm almost positive that the new ViacomCBS behemoth is going to put Cheers, Frasier and all of the Star Treks on CBS All Access when that acquisition closes later this year, and let's face it: Netflix has had a lot more misses than hits when it comes to its original content. Ted Sarandos is probably guzzling a bottle of Maalox like it's candy at this point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens when they lose the licenses to some of their most popular shows. Friends and The Office are both getting yanked early next year, I'm almost positive that the new ViacomCBS behemoth is going to put Cheers, Frasier and all of the Star Treks on CBS All Access when that acquisition closes later this year, and let's face it: Netflix has had a lot more misses than hits when it comes to its original content. Ted Sarandos is probably guzzling a bottle of Maalox like it's candy at this point.

Yea there's this invisible line that everyone knows exists where they've lost enough content to where subscriptions would start to fall off the cliff but nobody knows exactly where that line is. And that's really when you can say they're in deep trouble, when people start cancelling subscriptions en mass. The first sign that the poo poo is hitting the fan for them would probably be if they drop the subscription price, because that's been doing nothing but going up for a long time now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's freaking out about Friends and The Office like you can't go to any thrift store ever and buy the entire show on blu-ray or DVD for $10-15.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone's freaking out about Friends and The Office like you can't go to any thrift store ever and buy the entire show on blu-ray or DVD for $10-15.

It still baffles me that those are the top-watched shows on Netflix.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I use Ancient Aliens as a sleep aide, so I've probably "watched" every episode like ten times at this point but I don't actually watch them really. I sometimes wonder if that's what people are doing with these old sitcoms like Friends.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I use Ancient Aliens as a sleep aide, so I've probably "watched" every episode like ten times at this point but I don't actually watch them really. I sometimes wonder if that's what people are doing with these old sitcoms like Friends.
I definitely watch Cheers as a before bed time show.

To be fair the Cheers end theme is the most go-to-bed closing of a show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

I'm almost positive that the new ViacomCBS behemoth is going to put Cheers, Frasier and all of the Star Treks on CBS All Access when that acquisition closes later this year, and let's face it: Netflix has had a lot more misses than hits when it comes to its original content.

Those shows are already on that service. I have it already for a few reasons and it's not bad. I hope that the catalog gets bigger once the merger goes through. I could see CBS All Access rebranding, remaining the paid Viacom/CBS service and adding Viacom properties like stuff Nick shows, etc.

Pluto could remain the free service and I'd be ok with all that. Pluto isn't bad but you do have to wade through a lot of bad stuff.

I'm more interested in the future of Hulu. Right now it's a mishmash of content from the big 4 networks and other cable channels. Will it eventually morph into ONLY Disney owned content as existing deals expire or will they negotiate to keep some around? It would be nice to still have a service to let cord cutters watch network TV.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm more interested in the future of Hulu. Right now it's a mishmash of content from the big 4 networks and other cable channels. Will it eventually morph into ONLY Disney owned content as existing deals expire or will they negotiate to keep some around? It would be nice to still have a service to let cord cutters watch network TV.

Playstation Vue baby

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Playstation Vue baby

I should have specified, a cheap plan to watch network TV stuff. I had a discounted DTV Now plan and I canceled it a few months ago because I barely used it. Of course everyone's needs are different but PS Vue isn't for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, this was the same for me. It's like my brain was programmed by Nick at Nite, a televised Pavlovian sleep-aid.

I think FRIENDS has just made a resurgence as an "unironically good show" nowadays. Half of my friends have done rewatches of it within the past year, and I've heard comedians and podcasts I like reference it with genuine affection.

I get it. I rewatched 3rd Rock From the Sun a few years back and was blown away by not only how funny it is, but how cleverly funny it managed to be. I stopped watching after three seasons, but it was fun while I was interested.

The quality of writing in that era of sitcoms was pretty great. I don't really watch sitcoms anymore, but am I wrong when I think that Big Bang Theory and Last Man Standing* are hot garbage compared to stuff like Frasier and 3rd Rock?

*I have no idea about current / new sitcoms.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

The quality of writing in that era of sitcoms was pretty great. I don't really watch sitcoms anymore, but am I wrong when I think that Big Bang Theory and Last Man Standing* are hot garbage compared to stuff like Frasier and 3rd Rock?

*I have no idea about current / new sitcoms.

Not at all. NBC's comedy lineup in the '90s was unparalleled. You had the ending seasons of Cheers, then there were Seinfeld, Frasier, Wings, NewsRadio, 3rd Rock, Friends, to a lesser extent Mad About You. They only ever came close to reaching those highs in the mid-2000s, when they had Community, 30 Rock, The Office, Parks & Rec and Scrubs all running concurrently.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Not at all. NBC's comedy lineup in the '90s was unparalleled. You had the ending seasons of Cheers, then there were Seinfeld, Frasier, Wings, NewsRadio, 3rd Rock, Friends, to a lesser extent Mad About You. They only ever came close to reaching those highs in the mid-2000s, when they had Community, 30 Rock, The Office, Parks & Rec and Scrubs all running concurrently.

Yeah, that's a great point.

You know what sitcom Netflix needs?

Night Court.

Somebody. Anybody. Bring back Night Court.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's a great point.

You know what sitcom Netflix needs?

Night Court.

Somebody. Anybody. Bring back Night Court.

It's a Warner show so maaaaybe there's hope when HBO Max comes out (or whatever their new service is called)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a Warner show so maaaaybe there's hope when HBO Max comes out (or whatever their new service is called)

I have no faith in Warner doing anything competent with its catalog.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Timby posted:

For some reason Friends and The Office have crossed the generational threshold and are incredibly popular among teenagers right now.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Friends is pretty homophobic by today’s standards. I’m surprised people even bother with it. It’s a relic.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Class Warcraft posted:

For some reason Friends and The Office have crossed the generational threshold and are incredibly popular among teenagers right now.

I mean they are two of the most popular, accessible shows of all time it’s not really surprising.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember Friends being used as an example of a foreign man being pop-culturally behind in an episode of Monk a decade ago.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

sponges posted:

Friends is pretty homophobic by today’s standards.
I watched the series last year some time and I actually thought it was pretty good about it. Do you have an example?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I watched the series last year some time and I actually thought it was pretty good about it. Do you have an example?

Chandler worries constantly that people think he’s gay.

Friends is a weird half-step that was progressive for it’s time yet problematic now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nate fisher posted:

I am normally down for anything Harmony Korine does (I think Spring Breakers is a misunderstood work of art), but I found myself bored with The Beach Bum. We were so bored, that when we had to stop watching it (about 80% of the way thru) due to someone coming over, no one had a desire to finish it. Shame because when I saw the trailer it looked 100% my jam.

I watched The Beach Bum in theaters and it made me just totally lose my sense of time. I could have been in that theater for an hour, I could have been there all day. It was amazing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched The Beach Bum in theaters and it made me just totally lose my sense of time. I could have been in that theater for an hour, I could have been there all day. It was amazing.

Same. It’s still my favorite movie of the year.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Fall on Netflix is pretty cool. The tv show not the movie. Gillian Anderson's a detective in Belfast trying to catch a serial killer, played by the dude from 50 Shades of Grey. They were both good as hell in this. I'm not usually into crime dramas, but I liked this because there's no real mystery and it's a pretty understated show overall. I liked that you never really get the full picture about what's going on with most of these characters and their lives and you just have to glean what you can from their interactions. I thought the circumstances of the third season were a bit silly at first but I was on board by the end of it, although I think that was mainly due to Jamie Dornan's performance. He seriously ruled in this and was just really great at being creepy and offputting.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Chandler worries constantly that people think he’s gay.
This is brought up in like 2 episodes, it is a "realistic" situation, and nobody was saying it is bad to be gay, not even Chandler. He was trying to figure why people thought he was gay. I'm probably wrong, but this really doesn't seem homophobic.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

sponges posted:

Friends is pretty homophobic by today’s standards. I’m surprised people even bother with it. It’s a relic.

I have no memory of that particular faux pas but I do remember it not being very good.

Also, thank you to whoever recc'd Booksmart itt. I liked that one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Even now, people also like Superstore a lot and The Good Place is the best show on television.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Even now, people also like Superstore a lot and The Good Place is the best show on television.

The Good Place is amazing but most of NBC's lineup, outside of the Chicago shows, is trash nowadays.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The Fall on Netflix is pretty cool. The tv show not the movie. Gillian Anderson's a detective in Belfast trying to catch a serial killer, played by the dude from 50 Shades of Grey. They were both good as hell in this. I'm not usually into crime dramas, but I liked this because there's no real mystery and it's a pretty understated show overall. I liked that you never really get the full picture about what's going on with most of these characters and their lives and you just have to glean what you can from their interactions. I thought the circumstances of the third season were a bit silly at first but I was on board by the end of it, although I think that was mainly due to Jamie Dornan's performance. He seriously ruled in this and was just really great at being creepy and offputting.

Seconding this. I've refused to watch the third season because I can't see where they could possibly go with it but it's a really good show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

The Good Place is amazing but most of NBC's lineup, outside of the Chicago shows, is trash nowadays.

Chicago shows?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chicago Med / PD / Fire.

PD is the best of them by far but they're all enjoyable Dick Wolf pablum. They're all ridiculously well-cast, too (somehow Jon Seda figured out how to act between his time on Homicide and when he started on Chicago PD a few years back).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Granted, but just vouching that they actually still maintain two solid Thursday comedy night shows.

Man, ER was also a perfect little gift though for moms like mine with little TV nerds like myself and my sister. Go through two hours of letting your kids watching inappropriate comedy and let ER bore them to sleep while you get to stare at George Clooney.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Seconding this. I've refused to watch the third season because I can't see where they could possibly go with it but it's a really good show.

I think you should watch the rest of it. There are some things that I would normally think of as hokey but the performances were good enough to sell it for me. I was satisfied with where it ended up. I've heard the creator wants to do another season with a different story at some point in the future, which could be neat. Gillian Anderson said she was down for it, which means I am too I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

The Office is like pure relaxation for me. The thing I love is I can just randomly pick one to watch. I've seen them all many many times so im never in the mood for one. I just like it being on.

Changing out DVD's ruins that. Wherever the Office goes, I go. I need that goddamn show.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Locked in my three years of D+, but I also know I'll be utilizing it. I don't expect them to make a bundle with Hulu no ads so I just went for it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember Friends being used as an example of a foreign man being pop-culturally behind in an episode of Monk a decade ago.

I've been living in Ukraine the past few years and they're REALLY into Friends and, weirdly, ALF. They loving love ALF. I get asked about ALF all the time, which is a show I just missed out on growing up, so I know nothing about it.

90's/00's sitcoms are a relatively new exposure for them, so their current youth generational cohort have the television tastes and pop knowledge of a Western Gen-Xer lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I have a friend who falls asleep to the soothing narration of Peter Thomas on Forensic Files

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirSamVimes posted:

Binged through the first season of Final Space, and I'll give it a solid Not Bad. A bit cheesy, but has some solid laughs and dramatic moments.

Also David Tennant is always a wonderful badguy.

i would rank david tennant as one of the best tv villains of all time in jessica jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just finished GLOW. Season 3 was good overall, but the writing of the show is starting to wane a bit. The finale is a perfect example. Ruth is comically idealistic and stupid at this point. Turning down being a director of a show she loves and a job she's good at doing to continue trying to be a "real" actress which has been a disaster for her. She's not someone I want to root for, nor is she someone I want to hate. She comes across as a lost cause that I have no interest in seeing her "journey".

Timby posted:

Seriously. Friends is so 90s and was never even that good. The Office is overrated as gently caress.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 29, 2019