Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Superman isn't actually worthy. He used Mjolnir but after the threat to the multiverse was over he couldn't wield it anymore. Thor then explains that Odin temporarily let the worthy thing slide so Supes could save the day.

how the hell is superman not as worthy as thor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

Those dang immigrants. They come over here, take our hammers. I won't stand for it, by Odin!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Odin (and later the hammer itself) has his own standards for the worthy thing, it's meant to be wielded by a great warrior. Superman might just be too nice for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, odin is a pretty huge rear end in a top hat so i can see that, but imo retconned storm god hammer would totally let clark wield it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Thor is basically a weapon for loving up frost giants. Odin wants someone who won't hesitate.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wonder Woman is a much better candidate to be worthy than Superman, given reasonable assumptions about the Asgardian moral code.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Wonder Woman is a much better candidate to be worthy than Superman, given reasonable assumptions about the Asgardian moral code.

I'm pretty sure she's wielded Mjolnir too.

Honestly the worthy thing has always been a bit Quasi. Classic Thor was always a very honorable character and a brave warrior but it'd be hard to say he's that much more noble than any of the major heroes in the setting, yet none of them can lift it except Cap.

And then over time Thor got written as increasingly flawed and a bit of a party animal and it was like, shouldn't Wolverine be able to pick this up if this dude can?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 28, 2019

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Superman is a drat naive boyscout. Superman may be "Good", but that doesn't mean he is "worthy" by the Asgard metrics.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I love this Superman pastiche that showed up during the Incursion storyline. Essentially multiple Earths were phasing into each other, but the Illuminati had found a way to avert it every time so far, untill they run out of options and decide they're going to have to destroy an inhabited planet. That's when an an alternate universe Justice League shows up.......

WaywardWoodwose fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 28, 2019

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
kinda funny everyone forgot Vision picks up Mjölnir in the movies

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its like if you dropped it in an elevator.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Push El Burrito posted:

Nah, some guy named Dargo. Then there was actually a 2099 Thor.

Oh yeah, Dargo. But I'm about 95% sure there was a scene where Miguel wielded it.

"You have no idea how powerful this thing is. We used to use it to drive starships." - Steve Rogers, in 2099.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Parahexavoctal posted:

Oh yeah, Dargo. But I'm about 95% sure there was a scene where Miguel wielded it.

"You have no idea how powerful this thing is. We used to use it to drive starships." - Steve Rogers, in 2099.

When they ended the 2099 series Miguel ends up becoming Thor.

The Miguel that travelled back in time and has been doing stuff over the last decade is technically from another dimension than the original 2099 timeline which had a pretty definitive end.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lurdiak posted:

Odin (and later the hammer itself) has his own standards for the worthy thing, it's meant to be wielded by a great warrior. Superman might just be too nice for it.
When the hammer starts deciding for itself who's worthy, Odin is immediately no longer on that list :mmmhmm: It pisses him off so much

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Eric Masterson
A Frog
Superman
Wonder Woman
(I don't remember how canon the DC crossover stuff is considered)

Storm briefly did, using Mjolnir to break the fake one that Loki created for her.

In What If, both Rogue and Black Widow picked up Mjolnir. Widow was depicted as worthy while Rogue's was more from absorbing Thor himself.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 28, 2019

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its like if you dropped it in an elevator.

Vision couldn't summon lightning. So yeah, he's not worthy, just an elevator.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Vision's worthy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean all I'm saying is if he's so worthy why is he so dead?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mulva posted:

I mean all I'm saying is if he's so worthy why is he so dead?

Thor's been dead a lot, too, friend.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If Superman had been from Oklahoma instead of Kansas Odin would have found him worthy just so he would let Odin borrow his tractor the next time Asgard needs to move in.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Dan Didio posted:

Vision's worthy.

Then so's the elevator :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Which begs the question, is Vision in Valhalla now?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A pickup truck couldn’t budge Mjollnir, so it depends on who’s operating the elevator.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Samuringa posted:

Mecha-Valhalla is a concept I’d like to explore

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The elevator never lifts it.

Samuringa posted:

Yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

No, he didn't die with a weapon in his hand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

No, he didn't die with a weapon in his hand.

Does the weapon need to be in the hand or can it be in the hand, i.e. Wolverine?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the weapon was in his head

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whoa, that's deep.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

The elevator is worthy because it's powered by electricity

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Yeah, my guitar's in my mind! Leave it to Visiiooooon!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thaddius the Large posted:

Mecha-Valhalla is a concept I’d like to explore

Optimus Prime ends up there so often they gave him a loyalty card to get stamped

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

Vision gives powerful dome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Phy posted:

Optimus Prime ends up there so often they gave him a loyalty card to get stamped

He doesn't die that often though? Like the original TV series is whatever, but I don't recall him being resurrected that often in the comics?

Or at least he doesn't in the series that I've read

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

He doesn't die that often though? Like the original TV series is whatever, but I don't recall him being resurrected that often in the comics?

Or at least he doesn't in the series that I've read

Maybe not often in the same series, but Optimus dying at least once is drat near a multiversal constant. I guess he doesn't always come back, but dude sure does die a lot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's more a joke about the aggregate character's revolving door attitude towards death than a statement of fact regarding any particular incarnation.

(Although in the later IDW comics, there was a diagnosed psychiatric disorder among Autobots called Primus Apotheosis, wherein the sufferer is driven to paint themselves red and blue with truck windows for a chest, clamp a faceplate over their mouth, and in the worse cases, sacrifice their life at the earliest opportunity for even the most remotely noble cause.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

sticksy posted:

That is pretty cool.

How many people in canon have been considered worthy? Thor, Loki, Cap, Beta Ray Bill, Jane, I'm sure a few more...?

Wasn't there also something with Nazi Cap? It might have been an illusion. Honestly, I barely remember a thing about that mess of an event.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mjolnir was altered by Kobik at Evil Steve's request so that it said, like, "if he be STRONG" instead of "worthy". That's why Hydra Cap could wield it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Phy posted:

(Although in the later IDW comics, there was a diagnosed psychiatric disorder among Autobots called Primus Apotheosis, wherein the sufferer is driven to paint themselves red and blue with truck windows for a chest, clamp a faceplate over their mouth, and in the worse cases, sacrifice their life at the earliest opportunity for even the most remotely noble cause.)

That's loving hilarious.

What's the equivalent in Marvel comics? Dying your hair red and choosing a fire/bird motif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

That's loving hilarious.

What's the equivalent in Marvel comics? Dying your hair red and choosing a fire/bird motif?

In any universe but 616 it is to be called Spiderman