Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Getting 0.0 is still one of the most frustrating things I've experienced in a video game
The minigame itself is probably so frustrating just because you have enough control to make it seem like it's your control that's messing you up when like said it's mostly RNG cause if you see the bird heading for you and you're not already moving away then it's too late, also if you're too close to the edge some patterns of birds literally can't be dodged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Chocobo Racing and the Butterfly Race are still my least favorite of the ultimate activities in X. Lightning dodging was boring but easy enough exploiting that one crater spot with no encounters.

I've come around a bit on Blitzball from the first time nearly two decades ago but it's still amazing that they give it the worst possible first impression and then do their best to keep it tucked away from engagement with the rest of the world ever again.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I finished my first playthrough of FF12 (what the actual gently caress Great Crystal). I like the battle system. Things still have to be done manually in tougher fights (mostly hunts, cause story bosses were easy). I ended up finishing with my main party around level 48. Might do NG+ after I play though FF8 remaster.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the most soul crushing thing about sun sigil is that you have to beat 0.0, it's not enough to get exactly 0.0. i once got that, it didn't count, and then i went to the x-zone

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Merilan posted:

the most soul crushing thing about sun sigil is that you have to beat 0.0, it's not enough to get exactly 0.0. i once got that, it didn't count, and then i went to the x-zone

The time display doesn't go below 0.0 either so you don't know if it counts until they give you the bad news (I got the bad news twice)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think it's Wakka's ultimate weapon that's locked behind having to play blitz ball and win a tournament. So I will never see it without cheating.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Andrigaar posted:

I think it's Wakka's ultimate weapon that's locked behind having to play blitz ball and win a tournament. So I will never see it without cheating.

At least Blitzball you can just get a goal with Jecht Shot and then chill behind your own goalie.

There's no way to cheese things like chocobo catcher or lightning dodger.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Actually there is a trick to the lightning dodge. There's a place you can walk where it always triggers at the same place and it's just a matter of not blinking at the wrong time.
Youtube shows this, and I recall doing it once after much cursing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te-ihMHRtJ8

Whether I used no-encounter gear or turned them off in the FFX HD options panel I can't say.

Since I never finished FFX's story mode on PC (only on PS2 once), maybe I'll try abusing Jecht Shot sometime in the next year.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrigaar posted:

the only problem with wakka's ultimate weapon is simply the sheer number of matches you have to play, not even win. before you even unlock the sigil, you have to get all his other reels, which means you have to endure somewhere between 32 and 38 matches even if you do the league reset savescumming trick. and this was in the days before we had something convenient like mobage or awful betamax on our phones to distract us from interminable matches where you earn 10 goals in as many seconds and then have to sit around for another ten minutes.

blitzball really needed some kind of mercy rule

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't go for the ultimate weapons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

well we can say this with certainty now but fifteen years ago it didn't seem like that bad of an idea

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Except Yuna and honestly Rikku. Aurons is pretty easy too but it requires some time grinding

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The chocobo stuff, blitzball, and lightning dodging sucked, but the worst for me was the butterflies. I have trouble distinguishing colors at times, and I was playing on an old lovely CRT television that occasionally needed a bit of percussive maintenance to work at all. That, plus the color scheme of the woods with the butterflies on top of that meant I never, ever managed to complete it until the HD version.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

You aren't going to beat Penance and the Dark Aeons with that attitude.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just spend money, duh.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just make your own Ultimate Weapons so you can drop Double AP for something useful

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think all of the features in an ultimate weapon can be made and infused on a weapon in another manner. The "break damage limit" thing is hard because of the amount of dark matter you need. I think celestial weapons have unlisted features like ignoring defense, however.

The more important thing is to make the triple AP weapons with overdrive-> AP and triple overdrive, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But then how will Auron wield the most absurd looking sword ever designed (that's not a keyblade)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don’t play FFX’s awful post-game.

Also, Yojimbo exists.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

But then how will Auron wield the most absurd looking sword ever designed (that's not a keyblade)

Whoa how do you get him Luso's Pizzablade?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Auron is the original wielder of the Buster Sword, and in his re-dying breath he bequeaths it to Brother, who then gives it to his own son, Cloud Strife.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Just get the Nirvana, Godhand, and Masamune. No strategy for anything you want the Celestial Weapons for requires more than three characters or really much of anything past Quick Hit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How do I mod FFX so I can forge the Excalipar?

Also the Mop so Kihmari can unlock his true potential as Team Janitor.

e: Bonus points if I can make the Mop his new horn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Actually gently caress it I'll do it myself

Also why is the sixteenth image for a Google Image Search for "Kihmari" an image of Tidus and Wakka making out

e: Nevermind it's only Tidus wanting to make out, Wakka doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with it, probably due to his religious upbringing.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

the no one can spell kimahri saga continues

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Help Im Alive posted:

The 'h' has innate float status.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This is the fate that kimahri deserves

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

Auron is the original wielder of the Buster Sword, and in his re-dying breath he bequeaths it to Brother, who then gives it to his own son, Cloud Strife. Angeal, who with his dying breath bequeaths it to Zack, who with his dying breath bequeaths it to Cloud Strife.

who shoves it in a closet for something he bought from the store an hour later.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 29, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

the only problem with wakka's ultimate weapon is simply the sheer number of matches you have to play, not even win. before you even unlock the sigil, you have to get all his other reels, which means you have to endure somewhere between 32 and 38 matches even if you do the league reset savescumming trick. and this was in the days before we had something convenient like mobage or awful betamax on our phones to distract us from interminable matches where you earn 10 goals in as many seconds and then have to sit around for another ten minutes.

blitzball really needed some kind of mercy rule
Salient points, just felt like noting that the absolute minimum number of real blitzball games for Jupiter Sigil is 24 ( +1 for the Luca Goers story match, and maybe some forfeited Exhibition matches to get the Tournaments to open up). Assuming you already have the 450 battles for Wakka, you need to: win a Tournament with Attack Reels as the top prize, use the Reset Data option, get a League with Status Reels as the top prize, win, Reset Data, win a tournament with Aurochs Reels as the top prize, Reset Data, get a League with Jupiter Sigil as the top prize.

Prizes are only populated when you go into the main Blitzball menu for the first time since new prizes would be on offer, so for savescumming you can save after a match (choosing Back after the game instead of Play More Blitzball) and reload if the listed prizes aren't to your liking (you'll have to keep Resetting Data to get a League prize to change, though, because you can't avoid the menu). Also, in Tournaments your position isn't set until you start, so you can also save AFTER getting a Reels on the Tournament prize list (to lock that in) but BEFORE starting the Tournament, and then reload until you get a bye for the first round. So the numbers can work out to Tournaments: 4 games total + Leagues: 20 games total.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you raise a strong argument but i counter with this: how about playing zero games of blitzball

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Give Wakka a bowling ball

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Looper posted:

you raise a strong argument but i counter with this: how about playing zero games of blitzball
:hmmyes:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Final Fantasy XVI should be focused around bowling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bentacos posted:

Final Fantasy XVI should be focused around bowling.

*Noctis steps out of the pit station*

YOUR HIGHNESS WE SHOULD GO BOWLING!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Looper posted:

Be like me many, many years ago: get drunk and play blitzball

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 29, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you play Blitzball too much you'll end up like Wakka.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

a racist?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Married to a hot magic goth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

seiferguy posted:

The more important thing is to make the triple AP weapons with overdrive-> AP and triple overdrive, though.

I actually went back to FFX to do the Dark Aeons and such and was going for the Triple AP weapons as part of that. gently caress the fact you can get ambushed in a fight you start and have to pay for. It's one thing if the monster is faster then me and gets the first turn, but it is bullshit I lose 8000 because RNG decided it wanted One-Eye to go first and party wipe me.