Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Crating him: He's really good in his crate when we're going out somewhere; we trained him really well with that. However, he has a really hard time with the crate when people are around; he'll realize you're not going anywhere, and eventually starts barking until you let him out. We might have to train him to keep quiet in the crate no matter what.

Tethering: a good idea. I'll mention that to her as an option because it's definitely better than having him run around the apartment trashing stuff.

Bed: yep, we'll do that. He's got lots of extra pillows and blankets so we'll put one under the bed for him. We don't want to have to start buying baby gates and blocking off rooms.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Weird puppy update!

I successfully distracted him with the bully stick while the wife went to her computer. He seemed to really want to go to a particular spot in the bedroom, so I put one of his blankets there and let him just go to town on the stick. He stayed there almost the entire time; a couple times he took the stick to his other blanket in the living room. Once computer time was over, we took the stick away.

No destruction this time, so that's a good sign. We'll see how things go the next time I'm not home and she tries it by herself. If she still has trouble, we can try crating or tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Our tennants 7 month old puppy, Rosie, died today after getting into a chip bag when home alone :(
Please take extra care not to leave bags out, even on the counters
Only takes 3 minutes to kill them, so it can happen even when you're at home!.

https://www.simplemost.com/dog-suffocation-chip-bags/

Rosie probably spent more time with my wife than her owners, so she's super distraught.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

deety posted:

The groomer at my vet's office just told me my puppy is "horrible."

Apparently she peed, pooped, tore up some kind of cushion they had, and tried to snap at him while he was doing her nails. He said he hoped it would go better next time, but honestly, even if he hadn't bitched about her (and a couple of weirdly unrelated things) to a pretty unprofessional extent, I wouldn't want to take her back there for grooming. It just doesn't sound like a great idea to associate those kinds of bad experiences with the place she goes for vet visits. She's had her nails done there before and not been in love with the process, but she'd never freaked out like this before. The groomer seemed stressed out and hurried even before he got to her, so I'm wondering if she picked up on that and then started acting out more and more as he got frustrated.

We've handled her paws regularly since she was three months old, so it's not as if she just doesn't tolerate anyone touching her feet. She's also usually good with strangers. Does anyone have suggestions on finding a groomer that will go slowly with a puppy and maybe have better luck working with her?

A) gently caress those people.
B) what I did to find a groomer for Napoleon was just to check out some google reviews and found one that I really love. When he gets neutered I’m absolutely going to take him there for doggy day care once in a while.
I’ve made sure to keep grooming and vet separate too. One cause the vet is more expensive, 2 cause they take longer to get me in when I’m already waiting for an appointment.

Napoleon has decided now that he’s going to be an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to the cats. I’d love to use positive reinforcement to curb that behavior but it’s few and far between that he chooses to ignore the cats. Currently struggling on that front.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

CeramicPig posted:

A) gently caress those people.

Thanks. It shocked the hell out of me because we love our vet. We've been going there for 15+ years, and the idea that they'd have someone that unsympathetic on staff was a surprise. Like, the guy was still loudly complaining to me while another customer walked in, and my terror hound immediately went up to that stranger and melted at their feet for belly rubs.

I checked in with some friends, and their recommendation was already on my short list based on online reviews. When I called the place and explained that my puppy might be a challenge, they suggested just bringing her by for a visit or two so she can get petted and have a look at the around before her first appointment. I think we're also going to start with a bath or two, which she doesn't mind much, so hopefully she'll get to trust them before they go after her nails.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'd recommend anyone with a dog that hates brushing/nail trims/handling in general to check out Deb Jones' Cooperative Care: Seven Steps to Stress-Free Husbandry book or take her online class this December. Things don't have to be a fight! My dog has a lot of issues but with some work he happily stands still for nail trims, lets the vet check out his eyes and mouth, he could even have x rays un-sedated because he knew how to relax and stay in place when asked. If trainers can get wild animals in zoos to cooperate with blood draws and ultrasounds you can teach your dog to handle nail trims.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Could someone remind my idiot brain that dogs and cats don't mix that well? Apollo has a high prey drive and would 100% eat a cat if he could, and yet my idiot brain is all "I miss cats :(" this morning and I am not going to petfinder, damnit. I am not letting him terrorize a cat just because I'm stupid and miss the cats I grew up with.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My cats have been getting mean with the dogs lately. They're sick of being sniffed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Our old Siamese tore the poo poo out of the neighbor dog a couple of times. The dog got the message and left her alone. That old bitch was mean as a snake and among other things: found her way back home after being “lost” a county over, pissed in and ruined multiple cars, and lived to the ripe old age of 20. Outlived all her kids and just wandered off one day. Wouldn’t be surprised if she was out somewhere raising hell today. What I’m saying is you should go find that cat and the dog will learn or die trying.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Initially panic posted this in my home forum but realized I might get more useful responses here

jit bull transpile posted:

some guys dog just broke off its leash and attacked my dog while we were out running. he started following us and screaming "hey what's your name your dog bit my dog". he followed me for about ten minutes until I got out my phone and said I was calling the police. then he disappeared and I hustled my dog home.

my dog has a bite mark on his face but there is no other blood on him so I don't actually think he bit this other dog.

thing is my dog is a pit bull so now I'm scared shitless that just the accusation is enough to get him put down and this guy clearly lives near me so all it takes is for him to see us in the front yard to start something. by the same token my dog is a pit and this other dog was a little white fluffy thing and afaik when a pit bites they don't let go so there's no way this dog would be alive if my dog bit it.

what the gently caress do I do? I'm buying a gopro to wear when running so if something like this happens again I have documentation but I can't find any useful information on what to do if this guy finds us and starts trouble.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Initially panic posted this in my home forum but realized I might get more useful responses here

See if you can find the actual animal control laws/ordinances in your jurisdiction. Try searching "municode" and your area.

It varies wildly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GoodBee posted:

See if you can find the actual animal control laws/ordinances in your jurisdiction. Try searching "municode" and your area.

It varies wildly.

So it seems like my municipal code says that at worst he could be declared "potentially dangerous" but even this is unlikely because the other dog was in violation of leash laws at the time, and his dog wasn't hurt enough to need vet care as it immediately ran into traffic and once he caught it be followed me around harassing me instead of rushing it to the vet. So I think I'm in the clear so if the guy bugs me again I'm gonna record him and file a restraining order.

Also potentially dangerous seems like a designation that basically has no consequences unless you then have a second incident.

So my plan is to keep jogging with my dog because he needs and deserves the exercise and if I see another uncontrolled dog I can't avoid I will pick my dog up off the ground and walk in the other direction. I panicked this time and just kinda froze death gripping the leash, but I won't make that mistake twice.

On a final note, I'm 99% sure I later saw the same guy driving around the neighborhood calling his dog's name so he might have lost control of it *again* so double gently caress him and I hope the dog finds its way to a less lovely owner.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
My wife has had a wish for a beagle since I've known her, and we're finally considering it. However, we're looking at health reports for the breed from places like ofa.org and we're seeing numbers like this for epilepsy:
IDIOPATHIC EPILEPSY (UNDER 5 YRS OLD) 118 (30.6%)
IDIOPATHIC EPILEPSY (OVER 5 YRS OLD) 112 (29%)
from https://www.ofa.org/about/educational-resources/health-surveys#B

This is reported on a per-animal basis; does anyone have more information on this beyond "talk to your breeder and it can be treated but with possible side effects to lethargy, diet, etc."? Most sites go as far as say it is "common" but don't give any info on actual frequency, impact, etc.

As much as she'd like the dog, I think she's eyeing that 30-60% (it's not clear to me if those numbers are exclusive, but it reads like worst-case to me) and having serious second doubts if the odds means a dog that is going to have epileptic seizures for most of its life.

FWIW, she also recently found out about pocket beagles and is leaning that way amt, but that's by no means definite.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't know about beagles, but my parents' labradoodle had periodic seizures and they were easily prevented with a daily pill. Talk to a vet or other expert, but I suspect that that listed statistic just means "you have decent odds that this pet will be marginally more expensive to care for, without otherwise impacting its quality of life."

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
On the other end of the spectrum, my border collie never had fully controlled epilepsy (on like 5 twice-daily meds), averaging a cluster every couple of months, was repeatedly hospitalized when the at-home regimen failed to bust a cluster (not particularly cheap), lost most of her eyesight for 3-4 months following a bad cluster, and died at 7 (average life expectancy is around 13-14).

The average prevalence of idiopathic epilepsy in all dogs is like 1%. I wouldn't consider getting a dog from a familial cluster or breed where it was 30% or higher.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Birudojin posted:

My wife has had a wish for a beagle since I've known her, and we're finally considering it. However, we're looking at health reports for the breed from places like ofa.org and we're seeing numbers like this for epilepsy:
IDIOPATHIC EPILEPSY (UNDER 5 YRS OLD) 118 (30.6%)
IDIOPATHIC EPILEPSY (OVER 5 YRS OLD) 112 (29%)
from https://www.ofa.org/about/educational-resources/health-surveys#B

This is reported on a per-animal basis; does anyone have more information on this beyond "talk to your breeder and it can be treated but with possible side effects to lethargy, diet, etc."? Most sites go as far as say it is "common" but don't give any info on actual frequency, impact, etc.

As much as she'd like the dog, I think she's eyeing that 30-60% (it's not clear to me if those numbers are exclusive, but it reads like worst-case to me) and having serious second doubts if the odds means a dog that is going to have epileptic seizures for most of its life.

FWIW, she also recently found out about pocket beagles and is leaning that way amt, but that's by no means definite.

We have a beagle mix and he's had a single seizure in his 12 year life. The vet said it's pretty common for the breed to have one or two in their life but it's not generally chronic or fatal. Ours has been totally fine for the 5 years since his. If anything he's even more of an active and cantankerous stinker.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also btw I drove by the spot my pit and I got attacked today and the mother fucker was out there with his little dog on the same extendy leash it broke off of to attack us and he was milling around staring at his phone instead of paying attention to his dog.

The dog was running around him like a loving unmedicated adhd kid in a toy store so it was super obviously not bitten by a loving pit bull. Inattentive tiny dog owners are the God damned worst. "Oh little Buckles can't be aggressive or dangerous, he's just so small and cute! I don't have to train him or pay any attention at all! I totally have the right to stalk a woman around her neighborhood after cute little Buckles adorably attacks her dog!"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tiny aggressive dogs on extended leashes drives me nuts. I had a go at one lady last week as her dog tore towards mine, only to eventually get ragdolled by the leash, but not before my dog was starting to go into panic mode.
She went "Sorry, he's always like this with big dogs" while the dog was still bouncing of the end of the leash trying to get to mine and she made no attempt at actually controlling it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Some coworkers of mine have a beagle and it's got the full blown seizure problems. It's massively affected their quality of life, hard to find caretakers for it if they have to travel etc and have pretty frequent vet visits, extensive medication and monitoring. They've both had dogs their whole lives and both said they probably wouldn't have another for a long time after this because it's been a big strain on all involved emotionally and financially. They're taking very good care of the dog though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My dog seems to have a hot spot:

She's never had one before. I noticed her chewing on that spot a little bit last night or maybe the night before but this bald spot seems to have just developed today. Is this a go to the vet situation or a clean it with soap and water and go buy some spray from petsmart situation?

edit: booked an appointment just to be safe

prom candy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 29, 2019

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My dog gets a hotspot every summer and as long as they don't get infected and start healing quickly I don't usually bother with the vet. IME they heal best when shaved, but you can try giving it a scrub with some hot spot/anti itch shampoo and keeping her in a cone to keep her from licking it any more and see if that clears it up first. Stopping the licking/chewing cycle is the most important part. The more they lick it the more irritated it is and the more they want to keep licking it.

Watch for discharge, swelling, pain, etc that might indicate its infected and needs to see a vet.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks, per my edit above I think I'm going to take her in just because she's never had one before and she's 9. Glad to hear it's not that abnormal because seeing that on her freaked me out. Hopefully we can just supervise and skip the cone because she doesn't take well to it at all.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My older hound has to go on like a month of steroids due to them every year. You should be able to avoid antibiotics if you caught it before a skin break/puss and generally the steroids kill the desire to gently caress with it further.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Asking a vet about it is never a bad idea! Hopefully she just needs some shampoo and a trim and she'll be good for the rest of the summer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks! The good news is we're taking her up north this weekend so she'll be under constant supervision for the next 3-4 days. I guess she probably shouldn't be going in the lake though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Prom Candy, are you from Michigan because "up north" is about the most Michigan thing I can think of (being a former michigander myself)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It is also a proudly minnesotan place to go (though here it's more "up nort")

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ontario! Also speaking of which, we've been up north a lot this summer including over the last weekend so I wonder if it's a mosquito or deer fly bite

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Whichever one of you recommended the anal beads shaped dog toy, Teddi love the drat thing.

Even though it's as long as he is.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Whichever one of you recommended the anal beads shaped dog toy, Teddi love the drat thing.

Even though it's as long as he is.

I did not see the word “shaped” at first and my eyes nearly fell out of my skull

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CeramicPig posted:

I did not see the word “shaped” at first and my eyes nearly fell out of my skull

I mean... as long as its made out of a safe material?

If it's good enough for your rear end in a top hat, it's good enough for your dog.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Protocol7 posted:

If it's good enough for your rear end in a top hat, it's good enough for your dog.

Thread title plz

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My dog has what the vet called a skin tag on the back of his knee, and it’s just started bleeding the past two days. When we asked the vet about it a month ago she told my partner it’s probably fine to leave unless we were worried about cosmetics.

Now it looks enflamed, and has what looks like scabs forming on it. It’s about half an inch long and very skinny. We’ve been dressing it, and he’s been content to leave it alone, but I’m at the point where I’d like to have the vet remove it. The rub is that we are 1000 miles away from home with him staying in Florida with family. Is this something I should try and get a local vet or hospital down here to take a look, or is it ok to wait til we drive back this weekend and deal with it next week?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

freeasinbeer posted:

My dog has what the vet called a skin tag on the back of his knee, and it’s just started bleeding the past two days. When we asked the vet about it a month ago she told my partner it’s probably fine to leave unless we were worried about cosmetics.

Now it looks enflamed, and has what looks like scabs forming on it. It’s about half an inch long and very skinny. We’ve been dressing it, and he’s been content to leave it alone, but I’m at the point where I’d like to have the vet remove it. The rub is that we are 1000 miles away from home with him staying in Florida with family. Is this something I should try and get a local vet or hospital down here to take a look, or is it ok to wait til we drive back this weekend and deal with it next week?

Skin tags are perfectly normal for dogs and humans (probably other animals as well), heck I have a good 10-15 on my body.

Technically, like the vet said, they are harmless. Since you want to have it removed, I'd wait till you're home, even if you have it removed, it's a new wound you're going to have to clean/dress and it will probably make it more stressful for you and the dog to get it done now.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What do you do if the puppy is scared of other dogs on a walk? Since she got bit she now flips out if she hears a dog barking in a nearby house or something and refuses to go any further, just tries to run back home. She is also scared of other dogs that walk past but warms up to them after 20 seconds or so if they stop to talk. (14 week labrador)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

After three months of poop hell Teddi is finally free of giardia. :woop:

All it took was doubling the dosage of Flagyl he was being given for a couple weeks. Something I wish we didn't need to go to a specialist to try, but since the next alternative our primary vet wanted to try was to put him on giardia pills for humans that cost $140/pill, it evened out in the end.

So I guess it's time to look for a new primary vet. Anyone have any recommendations in the Boston area?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CJ posted:

What do you do if the puppy is scared of other dogs on a walk? Since she got bit she now flips out if she hears a dog barking in a nearby house or something and refuses to go any further, just tries to run back home. She is also scared of other dogs that walk past but warms up to them after 20 seconds or so if they stop to talk. (14 week labrador)

You've got to retrain calm behavior basically. If she gets triggered move to a distance where she calms down and then reward the calm behavior. Try to get calm at closer and closer distances over time. It's just like any other training and the biggie is just to be patient and show your dog calm while you lead her to a safe distance.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

You've got to retrain calm behavior basically. If she gets triggered move to a distance where she calms down and then reward the calm behavior. Try to get calm at closer and closer distances over time. It's just like any other training and the biggie is just to be patient and show your dog calm while you lead her to a safe distance.

Adding to this, training a dog out of fearful behavior can potentially be very tough and take a long time, so don't be surprised if you don't see results for a while. It's also important to avoid accidentally rewarding fearful behavior, so if your dog is behaving stressed or unsettled, do your best to move away or continue on calmly and not draw undue attention to your dog. It's easy to reinforce fearfulness in dogs just by paying them attention when they're amped up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This has been my struggle for the last three years. My dog lunges and bites out of fear of strangers. Usually an intense but quiet stare, his tail stops wagging, a slow creep, one quick nip and a retreat.

We used to go to the dog park all the time, he was super friendly and social with people and dogs. He got fixed around a year and everything changed. Suddenly he was fearful of every stranger and his signs were very subtle which took us a long time to pick up on. We've gone through training with several trainers focusing on reactivity and nothing really seems to help aside from us reading his body language and knowing how to work around his fear to minimize reactions.

He's bitten a few people in the last three years so we have zero trust in him and introductions are nearly impossible with people he doesn't already know and like. We're losing our confidence in ourselves as owners/trainers and looking for other options to help us deal with this issue. He's a vizsla which aren't known for their aggression and we've had him since a puppy which makes this tough because we can't figure out why this became a thing. He's a snuggly goofball at home and with folks he knows which is the hardest part of all.

Hang in there and keep seeking help. It's tough and hopefully worth it at some point. Good luck.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im also having a problem with my dog and strangers. Shes normally good if she sees them from about 30-40 feet away but if they appear suddenly from begins a door or around a corner she freaks. It's bad enough that she wad cuddling with my dad on the couch after we had been at his place for a few days, he went inti the hidden and when he came back she barked, lunged forward, and bit him on the thigh. I tried using the behaviorist finder links but the ones i found in Charlotte either had dead sites or werent doing human aggression training anymore. The one that wasnt doing it anymore told me under no circumstances use an e collar on her which infuriates me.

My dog was feral until about a year old, then she went to training, and im her third adopter. I adopted her when she was about 4. The initial trainer that got her to be normalish with people spent a year training her and did it with an ecollar to snap her out of her fear/aggression charges at people and she had made worlds more progress since I found out who did her initial training and got the ecollar like they suggested and they spent a while teaching me how to use it properly. According to them when she left them she would occasionally bark at strangers but never lunge. Does anyone happen to know of a good trainer in charlotte? I'd go to her first trainers but theyre insanely expensive.

The rescue also stiffed them on months with of work and didnt keep up with her training at sll. She became extremly seperation anxious before i got her. Tears up carpet and door frames, hurt herself on her crate trying to get free after about 5 minutes. Shes on clonicalm to help me desensitize her to that and is up to about 15 minutes before she starts rummaging through the trash and tearing up boxes. Shes fine in her crate with me in the other room for several hours she only freaks when she KNOWs ive left. Kong with oeanut butter helps but not enough. And with how badly she shakes when i put her in the tub for a bath i think she was abused in one.

The rescue originally only told me she was given back because she didn't get along with the first people's kids and then got into a fight with a cat the 2nd person got after getting the dog. She only lasted a week or two at those places

Stravag fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Visiting a veterinary behaviorist is going to cost a lot less than getting sued for medical expenses when your dog mauls someone. The ecollar may have kept her from charging people for a while but it clearly hasn't changed her feelings about people suddenly appearing which is why the trainer told you not to use one. Dogs can also learn to associate the correction of the collar with the appearance of people and it can make things worse. Corrections can also lead to dogs not giving warning signals so you still have a time bomb but it doesn't tick anymore. You're not bad for using one but if she's still biting people you should look for something different.

I don't know your area but this lady seems like a safe bet if you can get to her. Especially with the separation anxiety you probably want to see a behaviorist that can prescribe medication.