Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Ever lost power?

yep, the faucet still turns on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I learned here to freeze ziplock bags with water and it'll hopefully last until the power comes back

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Municipal or private? Where’d water come from?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

feelix posted:

Buying water is the dumbest loving poo poo. Anywhere that you are allowed to stay and isn't under mandatory evacuation is going to have running water. People are retarded.

Lol this is the dumbest loving post, good work.

"Hey make sure not to buy clean water that comes in sealed containers that will be shelf stable and protected from the elements and your cats hair and your piss and poo poo and whatever other contaminants are floating around your house, you will definitely have safe running water the whole time."

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If you're a homeowner, this is obviously a huge deal and I'm sorry. If you rent, you're gonna be fine. It's fine. My parents' house was in the eye of Irma and they evacuated through clear roads like 2 nights before because everyone had already left. Hurricanes don't happen suddenly. It doesn't take a long time to secure your possessions and get in your car and leave. I'd rather take the chance of being uncomfortable for two days than spend innumerable hours preparing for something that has like a 15% chance of happening. I'm not going to seriously risk my well-being or my possessions because I didn't loving buy bottled water.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yep, the faucet still turns on

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol this is the dumbest loving post, good work.

"Hey make sure not to buy clean water that comes in sealed containers that will be shelf stable and protected from the elements and your cats hair and your piss and poo poo and whatever other contaminants are floating around your house, you will definitely have safe running water the whole time."

You sound like the type of piece of poo poo that buys bottled water just because. You're not going to get poisoned from drinking tap water that sat exposed to the elements OF YOUR DWELLING for a day or two, and if you are, you have a disgusting house and probably have an immunity to filth anyway.

Like, holy poo poo, your take is actually "formerly clean water that has been sitting uncovered for a day or two inside my house is unsafe to drink". You really wanna commit to that?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol imagine what kind of a dumb rear end in a top hat you'd have to be to go out of your way to tell people not to keep some safe drinking water on hand during a hurricane.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
it takes like three drops of bleach to sanitize water, no power required

but by all means keep using krav maga on every old person and infant that gets in the way buying re-bottled tap water at dollars on the penny just because filling a container of food-grade plastic yourself is too much work

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

feelix posted:

You sound like the type of piece of poo poo that buys bottled water just because. You're not going to get poisoned from drinking tap water that sat exposed to the elements OF YOUR DWELLING for a day or two, and if you are, you have a disgusting house and probably have an immunity to filth anyway.

Like, holy poo poo, your take is actually "formerly clean water that has been sitting uncovered for a day or two inside my house is unsafe to drink". You really wanna commit to that?

Your ignorance and idiocy are approaching impressive levels.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

It's not about the water turning on it's about it being contaminated by god knows what

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol imagine what kind of a dumb rear end in a top hat you'd have to be to go out of your way to tell people not to keep some safe drinking water on hand during a hurricane.

"formerly clean water that has been sitting uncovered for a day or two inside my house is unsafe to drink".

Do you think this is a true statement?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I AM SO loving MAD PEOPLE ARE DOING THE THING THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO TO PREPARE FOR AN EMERGENCY

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol no potential e/n mods yet :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You seem to be missing that the contaminated water persists after the hurricane. For like, possibly weeks. Last time it happened there was a boil order for I think a month and a half. Yes, filling your bathtub will help if you have to stay home and ride it out for whatever reason, but if the municipal water becomes contaminated it's gonna stay that way for much longer than the duration of the hurricane.

edit: Here, after Irma there was a boil order for weeks in multiple places. And that's just one result.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 30, 2019

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I AM SO loving MAD PEOPLE ARE DOING THE THING THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO TO PREPARE FOR AN EMERGENCY

The mayor of Miami told people to stop buying bottled water during Irma. It was a moot point, at least in my area, because we ended up having to evacuate.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

feelix posted:

The mayor of Miami told people to stop buying bottled water during Irma. It was a moot point, at least in my area, because we ended up having to evacuate.

bruh

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
le me, herpin and derpin to le hardware section of walmart where five gallon buckets of food-grade plastic with airtight lids are only a couple bucks

badass 40 year-old computer janitor dual-wieldling leathermans to get at the last six-pack of fiji water

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
last hurricane that came through the area I drove to my folks house from St . Pete to Pensacola and a 6 hour trip took me 15 hours cuz of all the ppl trying to evacuate at the same time. I left 2 days before the storm hit. The roads were at a dead stop at times. I was at one point throwing a football on the highway with total strangers because it was so dead lock. Not to mention road closures and everyone trying to find a gas station that wasn't sold out of gas.

https://discord.gg/D4Dad9

If this works this is a link to the discord. it will expire in one day.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

le me, herpin and derpin to le hardware section of walmart where five gallon buckets of food-grade plastic with airtight lids are only a couple bucks

badass 40 year-old computer janitor dual-wieldling leathermans to get at the last six-pack of fiji water

this is america, most people will never do it if it's not convenient. you can buy water at the grocery store, and you probably have to go there between now and the storm to buy food just to live. the system works.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Literally if you live in Florida keeping a couple big jugs of clean water on hand is always a good idea. If you can't find water or don't want to brave the store, the red cross recommends filling clean containers with lids with tap water before the storm. They also specifically state that bathtub water should be used for non-drinking stuff like flushing the toilet.

Having a loving meltdown because some people are suggesting people stock up on water three days before a hurricane is so unbelievably dumb lol.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you can afford a few large water containers you should always have 1 gallon per day per person to last at least a week. I don’t care where you live, there’s a million reasons why the water infrastructure can fail. Thirsting to death would be such a stupid way to die. Can just be hose water or whatever.

Bonus points for water purification tabs to drop in there so you don’t end up with dysentery in an emergency but it’s pretty unlikely unless your water jugs are filthy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
it's a hurricane. go outside and fill up your mug with water. duh!! one simple trick

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
oh I live in florida. a place surrounded by water. what are u dumbasses cryin about

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charles posted:

it's a hurricane. go outside and fill up your mug with water. duh!! one simple trick

Don’t do it the hurricane water will be contaminated with bullets

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

So apparently Dorian jumped to a cat 2 and should easily make a 3 by morning. Also, the forecasts are actually showing the storm slowing down its forward speed with models shifting it further south, toward the bottom half of the east coast of florida.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

WalletBeef posted:

So apparently Dorian jumped to a cat 2 and should easily make a 3 by morning. Also, the forecasts are actually showing the storm slowing down its forward speed with models shifting it further south, toward the bottom half of the east coast of florida.

lol this could lead to tampa bay getting hit by a cat 3 or higher

rip this entire area

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm the model that exit wounds through Tampa Bay only to boomerang around and nuke Ft. Myers

https://twitter.com/MiracleNinja777/status/1167272585693937664

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My buddy in Miami had to go to three gas stations to get gas for his car. The first two were sold out. He arrived at 3rd station to the scene of a fight, as someone was filling up 10 gas containers.

He's pretty pissed because he's a doctor is on call this weekend and actually has to drive to work.

It's only Thursday. There's several days before it's even going to start raining. Gasoline will be plentiful.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

soy posted:

If you can afford a few large water containers you should always have 1 gallon per day per person to last at least a week. I don’t care where you live, there’s a million reasons why the water infrastructure can fail. Thirsting to death would be such a stupid way to die. Can just be hose water or whatever.

Bonus points for water purification tabs to drop in there so you don’t end up with dysentery in an emergency but it’s pretty unlikely unless your water jugs are filthy.

Welcome to Florida, where people guzzle down two liters of coke all day every day and throw away empty bottles that are arguably the most structurally perfect containers for potable liquid ever conceived by human hands and are explicitly engineered to be able to be refilled and even re-pressurized countless times, all because their magical thinking makes them feel like cracking the millimeter-thin plastic seal on the bottle contaminates it forever after you empty it the first time.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

cracking the millimeter-thin plastic seal on the bottle contaminates it forever after you empty it the first time.

Considering they probably don’t floss or even brush, they’re probably right.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm the model that exit wounds through Tampa Bay only to boomerang around and nuke Ft. Myers

I'm the model that's just a straight line pointing at Virginia Beach.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I checked and it looks like mar a lago is fully booked this weekend. :getin:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im in denver and ive been running my shower nonstop in solidarity

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lol the more hell dimension model is the pink one just strafing around the tip of Florida to hit Tampa Bay full force

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Desperate Character posted:

lol the more hell dimension model is the pink one just strafing around the tip of Florida to hit Tampa Bay full force

Not even considering Tampa key west would have uh issues

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Will that guy who drove around watching gas stations fall apart on FaceBook Live or whatever during
the last hurricane drive around this storm watching the same stuff happen?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 30, 2019

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well the models always look dire for Brevard until d day. But lol at my brother having a baby shower Sunday.

I think that might be cancelled.

E
From wikipedia
Doros was the founder of the Dorian tribe, and the most likely origin of Doros' name was the Greek word "doron", meaning "gift".

Lol they have to name the baby Dorian now I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I live <4 miles from the coast in Broward and hell we were under a boil notice for our water for like 5 days not even a month ago. poo poo here is always breaking and the water quality is garbage anyway. Having $5 of bottled drinking water in the house isn’t exactly an unusual thing regardless.

Anyway I’m going through a ton of grief at the moment that’s showing zero sign of fading, and if the thing decides to swing south and aim for me I guess I’ll find out if any part of me actually does care about being alive. Maybe the kickstart I need while it tears the neighborhood apart again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I am out here looking for the missing girls. Jumping fences and banging on locked wooden storage sheds type poo poo with my phone on speed dial to the sheriff's office. Ain't running from poo poo in this hell dimension