Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Somebody mod PC FF10 so that whenever it tries to load blitzball it loads Football Tactics and Glory instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Replace Blitzball with Fort Condor.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Replace all FF mini games with triple triad.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Replace all FF interfaces with triple triad if we're really spit balling how to fix the series here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

seiferguy posted:

I think all of the features in an ultimate weapon can be made and infused on a weapon in another manner.

The regular abilities, sure, but that's the least relevant part. There's no way to replicate their damage scaling (though this mostly only matters for Auron) or the more important bit that they also just straight up ignore enemy defense.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Blitzball honestly isn't that bad imo when I was playing FFX recently with a friend. I used to hate it but he trudged through it and it was honestly ok for us by the end and didn't take nearly half as long as I thought it would.

It'd be more fun if there was some more counterplay against people with better stats than you, but it's pretty much only relevant for the Psyches.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Romes128 posted:

a racist?

Franchescanado posted:

Married to a hot magic goth?

fat

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Ventana posted:

Blitzball honestly isn't that bad imo when I was playing FFX recently with a friend. I used to hate it but he trudged through it and it was honestly ok for us by the end and didn't take nearly half as long as I thought it would.

It'd be more fun if there was some more counterplay against people with better stats than you, but it's pretty much only relevant for the Psyches.

I couldn’t figure out bliztball when I was in college when X came out, and I couldn’t figure it out last year. I’m 36 years old.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I couldn’t figure out bliztball when I was in college when X came out, and I couldn’t figure it out last year. I’m 36 years old.

Here's all you need to win BlitzBall. Step 1, know Jecht Shot. Step 2, Recruit Brother. Step 3, Swim around the stage with brother until nearly all of the enemy team is following you, Brother is by far the fastest player so they'll never catch up. Step 4, pass the ball to Tidus when all the enemy is following brother. Step 5, with Tidus score a goal using Jecht Shot. Step 6, Retrieve ball by whatever means and swim behind your own goal. Step 6, Wait out timer and win.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Madmarker posted:

Here's all you need to win BlitzBall. Step 1, know Jecht Shot. Step 2, Recruit Brother. Step 3, Swim around the stage with brother until nearly all of the enemy team is following you, Brother is by far the fastest player so they'll never catch up. Step 4, pass the ball to Tidus when all the enemy is following brother. Step 5, with Tidus score a goal using Jecht Shot. Step 6, Retrieve ball by whatever means and swim behind your own goal. Step 6, Wait out timer and win.

:shepicide:

I have this pain in my gut telling me this awful method is 100% successful.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

On my last playthrough I tried and tried and tried but I couldn’t get the Jecht shot.

I’m bad at bad video games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

:shepicide:

I have this pain in my gut telling me this awful method is 100% successful.

My last playthrough I abused the ball behind the net stuff constantly. Both teams just get confused and swim around in circles constantly it’s a bit sad

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I forget the mechanics by now but it's basically just a bunch of simple subtraction. My friend is pretty dumb all things considered, but once we remembered what stat was actually which it wasn't that bad. I kept trying to tell him to do that dumb exploit but he refused, though thankfully it worked out ok in the end.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's some random variance, so you can't just do straight subtraction and have it always work out (most important is that Catch can go 50% either way of its listed value).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

On my last playthrough I tried and tried and tried but I couldn’t get the Jecht shot.

I’m bad at bad video games.

Eh, you can use whatever, Sphere Shot will work just fine, Jecht Shot just makes sure that if any of the people following brother actually manage to get to Tidus before you take your shot, they get taken out.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Heres how to win at blitzball

1. Ignore it until you have an airship
2. Recruit Brother
3. Laugh as you swim literal circles around everyone (except the psychs)
4. Laugh even harder in matches against the ronso

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

3. Laugh as you swim literal circles around everyone (except the psychs)

nobody can catch brother. nobody

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The White Dragon posted:

nobody can catch brother. nobody

Not even his own conscience about lusting after his cousin. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well that's what rikku is for

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you're only going to do one endgame thing in FFX then get Yuna's Nirvana. It does involve some capture grinding for the Sigil, but once you gather everything you get 20,000 damage output per turn from Holy and it costs 1 MP.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Mega64 posted:

If you play Blitzball too much you'll end up like Wakka.

a white guy who used to be super racist against Japanese people specifically, then swerved into the weeb move of naming his kid Kokoro or some other term he googled because he was just so inspired by this one Japanese girl once and it's, like, symbolic, man?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

well that's what rikku is for

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a broke brain and blitzball is actually one of my favorite mini games in Final Fantasy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd like Blitzball a lot more if it was a ripoff of management sims instead of captain tsubasa.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I have a broke brain and blitzball is actually one of my favorite mini games in Final Fantasy.
:yeah:

It's no Triple Triad, but I'd rather play Blitzball than almost any other FF minigame.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Why not recruit lots of players and have a good time playing Blitzball legit

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

a white guy who used to be super racist against Japanese people specifically, then swerved into the weeb move of naming his kid Kokoro or some other term he googled because he was just so inspired by this one Japanese girl once and it's, like, symbolic, man?

Yes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Why not recruit lots of players and have a good time playing Blitzball legit

I fail to see how abusing an AI in a single player game is illegitimate.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dragonatrix posted:

There's some random variance, so you can't just do straight subtraction and have it always work out (most important is that Catch can go 50% either way of its listed value).

Of course yeah, but it's still mostly straightforward. When I was a kid and played FFX I was dumb and thought it was incredibly complex. Now as an adult I'm only slightly less dumb and it wasn't nearly that bad. And posts like the one I was replying to are kinda making it seem harder than it actually is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You can recruit a lot of good blitzball players early on. Vilucha, Tatts, Wedge and Zalitz are all around. Tatts and Zalitz will stall, at that point you can replace them with better people (aka Brother). Vilucha ends up staying one of the best forwards. Wedge's stat growth is the most unique because he will become good at 3 different positions depending on his level.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blitzball owns it's just too easy

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

instead of any other minigame there should just be more triple triad

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What about triple triad...underwater

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

What about triple triad...underwater

I believe they call that Tetra Master?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The only part of Blitzball that's hard is getting dunked on by the Psyches for a few games but luckily their players' contracts all quickly expire and half of them get replaced by a bunch of random goobers off the street

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Have any other FFs featured a major sport or something like it, similar to Blitzball?

part of me wonders when/if FF14 is gonna get some kind of Sports Competition and I'd frankly rather if it weren't blitzball, but that's the only example i can think of atm

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

VIII has a pretty intense ice hockey league

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

seiferguy posted:

I believe they call that Tetra Master?

no, that's triple triad but bad

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Have any other FFs featured a major sport or something like it, similar to Blitzball?

part of me wonders when/if FF14 is gonna get some kind of Sports Competition and I'd frankly rather if it weren't blitzball, but that's the only example i can think of atm

The concept of basketball exists in 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Best major FF mini games, ranked:

1. Triple Triad
2. Blitzball
3. Fishing with Noctis