Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Up until now, non-citizen US servicemembers and their families living overseas have automatically counted as "residing in the US" when their children were born (like all servicemembers overseas), conferring citizenship.
(But only after a parent gains citizenship)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Servicemembers who are citizens confer citizenship on to their children no matter whether they are counted as "residing in the US" or not.
Because that law says that being a service member/govt employee overseas counts as residing in the US.
Unfortunately, the "Children of newly naturalized citizens born outside the United States and residing permanently in the United States" law above does not have that same language in the law itself - it was supplied by an agency interpretation that the agency has now taken back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so the loophole for this is that a lovestruck grunt or Noble will just sneak their girlfriend on base when she goes into labor, endangering both of them needlessly, simply so the child will be born on sovereign US soil and thus have birthright citizenship. Cool. :suicide:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Still kinda in awe that some service people cant be president. Figured there woukd be an exception for them

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm just imagining the fun when someone gets reassigned back to the states and can't take their kid because they don't have citizenship. Imagine the paperwork.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, so the loophole for this is that a lovestruck grunt or Noble will just sneak their girlfriend on base when she goes into labor, endangering both of them needlessly, simply so the child will be born on sovereign US soil and thus have birthright citizenship. Cool. :suicide:

There's no such thing as overseas bases are sovereign US soil (?) for geographical birthright citizenship.
Unless :thejoke:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Chances of someone having pissed off their command enough they would mess with the paperwork to make them fight a human trafficking charge? Is it possible to get someone on the flight with the paperwork that out of order?

Edit: thought this was ce. Im the idiot

Stravag fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 30, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

joat mon posted:

There's no such thing as overseas bases are sovereign US soil (?) for geographical birthright citizenship.
Unless :thejoke:

Not many people know that only US consulates and embassies are sovereign US soil. Hell, I remember overhearing some rear end in a top hat *years* ago who was spouting off at the mouth about "how all a woman has to do to make their kid a US citizen is crawl into any US military vehicle and give birth."

So yeah, that's :thejoke:.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm just imagining the fun when someone gets reassigned back to the states and can't take their kid because they don't have citizenship. Imagine the paperwork.

I'm sure they'll be all white.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Pre-deployment, not taking care of your family readiness plan is something the chain of command will murder you for. Coming home? Together, alone, in a plane, or in a box, we got the work out of you so gently caress your benefits.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

only US consulates and embassies are sovereign US soil.

Not even them. They have some sovereign-like immunities (Articles 21-25), but they are not US sovereign soil/territory. Babies born in US Embassy bathrooms do not get geographic birthright citizenship.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1167493371973255170

What's OPSEC?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/nikkimcr/status/1167216699193602050?s=21

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
No one looks cool holding a cigar. People only ever look cool if they're chomping on it while shooting a machine gun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Is that a cell phone picture?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Memento posted:

It is, its very likely it was a slide of a Intel brief, and some fucker took a photo of a possibly classified intel brief to tweet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Memento posted:

He tweeted it from his iPhone.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Further down in that thread someone points out that he’s holding the same cigar as well.

How the gently caress is he continually this stupid

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Operating environment actively rewards it. We're living in the prequel to some sort of bizzaro world war two with the same teams, but they've switched sides.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ra6bit/status/1167539901308592128?s=20

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I didn’t really want to say it, but you could glean that data from known satellite orbits/positions referenced against the local time of day to get a reasonable guess. If you knew the height of the tower, you could work the trigonometry to get an exact angle that would probably point at a single satellite when combined with the other data.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's a whole lot of intelligence given away like it was nothing for a quick twitter dig.

Holy moly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He got tired of directly telling Russian agents and decided to just let the free market decide.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Now they know the satellite orbit, resolution of at least one sensor, and exactly which one to track. And if they know this one, they could potentially just keep looking up at random satellites and find more like it. You could even outsource it to your civilian population, and have a dedicated crew of turbo-nerds looking for more like it (similar to the people that already track space junk here). Oh, and everyone has that info now, not just Iran. They won’t hold on to that, it does them literally no harm to spread that info around as much as possible.

quote:

You imbecile. You loving moron.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So how worthless is that satellite now?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I didn’t really want to say it, but you could glean that data from known satellite orbits/positions referenced against the local time of day to get a reasonable guess. If you knew the height of the tower, you could work the trigonometry to get an exact angle that would probably point at a single satellite when combined with the other data.

Exactly (part of) the problem.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

As an uneducated civilian it wont make it worthless because we have fuel in our sats to reposition them into different orbits but they can only do that so much. So inorder to shift the orbit to keep that sat safe we would have to degrade our capacity to reposition in the future and then do it some more to shift a different sat to keep watch on that orbit with a different timing. Its just a dumb way to grab your nuts and say whos the loving pope now.

Edit: there were plans for the shuttles to be able to refuel them but no idea if they ever did any of that. Also there are some plans to refuel satellites announced over the last 5 years or so but i havent looked into them

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 30, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FrozenVent posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokhran-II#Preparations_for_the_test

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

It was a 2011 launch so the better question is how worthless are all of our satellites now?

I mean unless they sent a drone over to get better-than-satellite imagery at the same time this sat just happened to be overhead so they could bluff about our capabilities but lol if you believe anyone in this administration is capable of playing 2-D checkers

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, most of what satellites have on board is for station keeping, not adjusting to a new orbit. That holds true for almost every satellite, even the geostationary ones; there’s enough gravity fuckery from the sun, moon, and other planets to throw them off just enough to make their data suspect, and there’s also the slight pressure from the sunlight itself against the satellite (along with the solar wind). We compensate for all of that by putting thrusters on the satellites that should keep them in the right place until their service life ends (and maybe beyond, if the sensors are still worth anything).

My graduate certificate was officially in GIS, but I did almost all the remote sensing classes my school offered. Active (radar, sonar) and passive (reflected light only, and magnetometry) remote sensing were my specialties. We mainly used it to take data about elevation and vegetation, but a slight tweak to the data analysis we were using could probably tell you mineral composition, give you thermal data over time, etc. They started offering a post-graduate cert in geospatial intel after I left, so I guess they figured out how to handle it without going into classified territory :v:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I was going off of the wiki page for the kh-11 which said its been reported they have hydrazine onboard for changing orbits

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The man is so loving stupid, it causes me legitimate physical anguish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stravag posted:

I was going off of the wiki page for the kh-11 which said its been reported they have hydrazine onboard for changing orbits

Yeah, it doesn't have enough thrust for major orbital changes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought most of the spy satellites were already tracked by amateur astronomers?

Here's a thread where they figure out it was probably USA 224

https://twitter.com/Marco_Langbroek/status/1167549731704332288?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They know where A satellite might be. They don't always know WHAT the satellite does. Confirming it is just dumb.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was guessing early afternoon on the shadow angle and north arrow, turns out I wasn’t the only one :suicide:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh my sweet holy gently caress, who’s ready for some irony poisoning?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Right here :downs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA-224

loving :laffo: the Latin means “the devil you know”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

And even *minor* orbital changes are a phenomenally big deal.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Gotcha. I misunderstood the scale they meant then for repositioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Knowing the orbit isn't that big of a deal since it's sort of hard to hide, but giving away our sensor capabilities is really monumentally stupid.