Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I think that him slaughtering half the herd is the author's way to try to show us that despite his humility, he's actually ridiculously overpowered and is called a hero because he was an unkillable berserker on the battlefield that would cut down hordes by himself.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Did he do a whoopsie daisies and accidentally marry a teenage girl.

Is that what happened in chapter 2.

Not yet but once he massacred half a herd of bulls, she immediately started coming on to him and the village elder was all "She's of age to be married and also she can TOTALLY have your kids hint hint hint". It's not yet there but it certainly looks like it's moving in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Even Though I’m a Former Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are Too Cute and Working as an Adventurer Isn’t Too Much of a Hassle got an an adaption, bout time https://mangadex.org/title/40978/moto-kizoku-reijou-de-mikon-no-haha-desuga-musumetachi-ga-kawaii-sugite-boukenshagyo-mo-ku-ni-narimasen

Oh, cool. The LN was dropped by the translator months ago in an awkward spot, so this is nice to see.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

khy posted:

Not yet but once he massacred half a herd of bulls, she immediately started coming on to him and the village elder was all "She's of age to be married and also she can TOTALLY have your kids hint hint hint". It's not yet there but it certainly looks like it's moving in that direction.

Double post, but in chapter 3:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

To be fair, the guy himself seems to be as freaked out by this as us. Like, he is just doing his own poo poo the stupid way he does and suddenly the lass that's helping him adapt to living in the plains starts treating him sweetly, the old lady starts talking to him that the only thing their tribe gives a poo poo about is manliness, and suddenly the old lady swindling the 30 bison from him "in exchange" for the girl, while the idiot is going "wait what".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I do like The Ride-On King https://mangadex.org/title/27202/the-ride-on-king

Vladimir Putin Alexander Purchinov, ruler of not-:ussr: gets isekai'd into a new ruler. He likes riding things and now he gets to ride wyverns and fantasy ostriches. And deal with slavers and crappy nobles and build a new village and such

Fantasy Putin is a much better dude than real Putin too

Yeah, consider me sold on this one.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Siegkrow posted:

To be fair, the guy himself seems to be as freaked out by this as us. Like, he is just doing his own poo poo the stupid way he does and suddenly the lass that's helping him adapt to living in the plains starts treating him sweetly, the old lady starts talking to him that the only thing their tribe gives a poo poo about is manliness, and suddenly the old lady swindling the 30 bison from him "in exchange" for the girl, while the idiot is going "wait what".

It continues in Chapter 3, where he does an incredibly impressive feat of killing a nigh-invulnerable monster and suddenly she's attached to him like a lamprey while he goes "Wait, wait, wait, hold up". It looks like it's going full on '35 year old marrying a 15 year old' despite the MC not being super into it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Wait do we KNOW she is a teenager or are we assuming?

I mean it wouldn't surprise me because Japan but still

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Moon-Led Journey does something similar with the child slave thing where the child slave tries to force the mc into taking her as a slave and having branded herself in order to press the issue and force him to take her along, saying it will kill her if he doesn't. his response is to basically say she's an idiot, begin research on disenchanting the brand, and puts her in Asora and commands her to...live a fulfilling and purposeful life there until they can remove the brand and she can decide what she wants to do after that.

She's shown up a few times since, never in a compromising situation, which is a decent subversion of the trope if it's going to be included at all.

After catching up to the webnovel hiatus point for MLJ, outside of a handful of pretty bad but mercifully short and relatively out of nowhere homophobic outbursts and some biotruths bullshit and the like in recent chapters (seriously just goes into rambling about Japanese perversions for two paragraphs and then back to the story as if nothing happened, after like 230 chapters of mostly avoiding anything like that) it's been pretty fantastic. I really like most of the main cast, particularly Tomoe and Lime, I don't really like Mio, so the Tomoe = Ryoko and Mio = Ayeka comparison still holds true.

The latest arc in Lorel Union, which, upon learning about it in the story, I so dearly hoped was a land of weebs, founded by weebs, culturally influenced by weebs and was greatly rewarded with a pretty ridiculous but also interesting take on a culture heavily influenced by otherworlders. I'm sure it's been done before in other isekai but I still liked the shop selling maid uniforms as battle gear because the previous otherworlders claimed that's what people in their world fought in. Very dumb, but I love it.

I do wonder if the author will ever actually pick it back up though, I know something happened to them that made them take a lengthy hiatus, but it stopped right in the middle of a pretty major arc and sets up probably the biggest conflict in the series outside of the foundational one against the goddess. Tomoki being a typical harem isekai protagonist with a charm ability and taking that to its logical conclusion where he uses it to basically mentally enslave probably the entire nation he's protecting, and also learns to turn it into a drug that brainwashes anyone who breathes it into loving him unconditionally is a pretty good take on the concept of a harem isekai protagonist because they suck and he certainly suuuuuuper sucks

Also the hints that Makoto has some dark poo poo bubbling up inside him that occasionally makes him just sociopathically and mercilessly merc fools like the three assassins, and the chapter right after just being the other characters who saw it just breaking down how hosed up what he did was was real good. He's a real weird individual and I'm hoping it comes to a head at some point, it's hinted at other timelines of him annihilating the world in various ways so it's not just a theory.

I know the translations are generally Not Good for the webnovel of it, but has anyone else fully caught up on Moon-Led journey? It's not a flawless series for sure, but I really enjoyed a lot of it compared to many other isekai I've read.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I poked around for plot spoilers and they all said she was 15, I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. Kinda sounds like this one is a better fit for the other isekai thread.

Siegkrow posted:

because Japan
can we not do this tho

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I poked around for plot spoilers and they all said she was 15, I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. Kinda sounds like this one is a better fit for the other isekai thread.

Chapter 4 and 5 are in Spanish.

Chapter 4 confirms she is 15, and the guy is mortified. Old lady tells him that if he doesn't marry Aruna every other woman in the village will be after him (over a panel of a toddler hugging his leg with hearts in her eyes) and the old lady telling him that Aruna already went to her parents to tell them she is marrying him.

Basically he got the old southern Shotgun Wedding. Except without any pre-marital banging.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

And apparently the adorable sheep are really smart, to the point that their baaing can be understood.

And the ones they have are very interested in getting Aruna and Dias to bang.

(Dias is waiting until she is 18 before answering)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Weird question to ask : I don't play Otome games, so I don't know.

Is it a common trope in Otome games for all women except the MC to be horrible, conniving, evil bitches who delight in tormenting men to an absurd degree?

I started reading an Isekai about an Otome Game because it also has mecha fights in it, and I thought the juxtaposition between dating sim and mecha game was absurd, but the manga treats almost all the women in the world as evil horrible hags taking advantage of men and sending them off to die for money, that kind of poo poo. I'm wondering if it's a common trope to those kinds of games, or if the author's just misogynistic.

The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

khy posted:

Weird question to ask : I don't play Otome games, so I don't know.

Is it a common trope in Otome games for all women except the MC to be horrible, conniving, evil bitches who delight in tormenting men to an absurd degree?

I started reading an Isekai about an Otome Game because it also has mecha fights in it, and I thought the juxtaposition between dating sim and mecha game was absurd, but the manga treats almost all the women in the world as evil horrible hags taking advantage of men and sending them off to die for money, that kind of poo poo. I'm wondering if it's a common trope to those kinds of games, or if the author's just misogynistic.

The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

That’s not an Otome game trope

khy
Aug 15, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s not an Otome game trope

Well OK then. I thought it might have been something in the games to make the player like the MC more or something. There's enough weird stuff in japanese games I have to ask.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's worth noting that that series is shonen not shojou so it's going to skew a lot more to the pointless belligerence and hero worship that seems to infest the male power fantasy genre.

Though IIRC the protagonist complained that game was notoriously awful and had a bad reputation. So maybe it's deliberate characterization that nearly all women are cruel greedy and twofaced. Though... that doesn't seem better.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I can't believe the thing written by the Sevens author has problems with women.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I can't believe the thing written by the Sevens author has problems with women.

It was written by the guy who wrote Sevens? That... actually kinda makes some of it make more sense now.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What is Sevens? Do I want to know?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Galvanik posted:

What is Sevens? Do I want to know?

An LN. Here's a spoilerrific rundown :

It's about a kid who is kicked out of the house because his parents start doting on his incredibly powerful sister instead of him. He is given a Gem which contains the memories and personalities of 7 of his ancestors who all guide him and train him to become stronger in order to face his sister again. Also it's got probably one of the largest harems out there, and the harem splits up into factions where they each fight against each other and vie to become the MC's main love.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
To be more spoilerific about it: if memory serves, the reason his sister is a barely human monster who mind controls anyone in the vicinity is that, instead of having the reasonable male half of their family tree in her head, she has the female half

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have never read the original work in question, but it was described to me as "an isekai about Otome games written by someone who's never been within 100 meters of an otome game but has incredibly strong feelings about them because he hates women."

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

To be more spoilerific about it: if memory serves, the reason his sister is a barely human monster who mind controls anyone in the vicinity is that, instead of having the reasonable male half of their family tree in her head, she has the female half

I thought that she had simply found the Jewel that contained the memories and personality of one particularly evil ancestor, who made a deal about granting power to Lyle's sister in exchange for her willing sacrifice to revive said crazy-rear end ancestor. But it's been a very long time since I read the LN.

Anyway, there's a LOT of 'female plotting' in the novel where the MC sort of gets railroaded into stuff by the women around him, who then become all kinds of backbiting with various factions working against each other and you name it. I recall one part quite vividly where he asks a Seer how he can live peacefully, and she told him the harem would mean he could never live a peaceful life.

It DID have one particularly interesting concept that I thought was quite fun - in the novel world people experience 'growths' which are basically level ups (you get stronger, faster, more magical power, etc). But the rush of a 'growth' tends to be extremely intoxicating and in the period right after one people tend to be overexuberant, overconfident, etc. The MC has a skill where his growths are very few and far between but very, very, very potent in exchange so he ends up getting ridiculously strong but with the price of becoming basically a lunatic with no sense of shame or embarassment for a while when they happen.

It's not Isekai though so not a good fit to this thread.

Here's one that is! I searched back a bit and didn't see it posted, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Isekai Survival Meshi

The MC gets isekai'ed and granted the power of 'eating', then meets an injured girl in the wilds. She needs time to heal before they return to a town, so he uses camping skills to survive while they're stuck out there. Lots of focus on food and camping and survival stuff.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 31, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am incredibly shocked that not one of these Isekai has gone full Dragon Quest with them going to a new world and immediately losing their ability to speak.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I am incredibly shocked that not one of these Isekai has gone full Dragon Quest with them going to a new world and immediately losing their ability to speak.

If you mean going to a new world and not knowing the language, that happens. Saving up 80,000 gold for my retirement and Isekai Demo Bunan ni Ikitai Shoukougun are good examples of Isekais where people don't speak the language after getting Isekai'ed. I can think of a few more examples but they aren't ones I want to bring up in the thread.

In a lot of the series where the protagonist gets reincarnated as a kid, they often use that as an excuse to skip the trope and have the MC re-learn the local language.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 31, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

khy posted:

If you mean going to a new world and not knowing the language, that happens. Saving up 80,000 gold for my retirement and Isekai Demo Bunan ni Ikitai Shoukougun are good examples of Isekais where people don't speak the language after getting Isekai'ed. I can think of a few more examples but they aren't ones I want to bring up in the thread.

In a lot of the series where the protagonist gets reincarnated as a kid, they often use that as an excuse to skip the trope and have the MC re-learn the local language.

No, I mean they get to a new world and if they're going to be the Hero then they're also a silent protagonist now.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Brought To You By posted:

Truck-kun, no! :ohdear:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RareAcumen posted:

No, I mean they get to a new world and if they're going to be the Hero then they're also a silent protagonist now.
I bet there's one out there where the mc just goes "..." or "!!" to stuff and everyone else understands just like normal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Jagged Jim posted:

Truck-kun, no! :ohdear:

Truck Kun is no match for THE PRESIDENT.

Ride-On king is just that little bit funnier because of presidential shenaniganery.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Brought To You By posted:

Wait a second. Hold the heck up. Did he just shoulder-throw, Ryu-style, the one and only truck-kun?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

khy posted:

In Isekai Survival Meshi the MC gets isekai'ed and granted the power of 'eating', then meets an injured girl in the wilds. She needs time to heal before they return to a town, so he uses camping skills to survive while they're stuck out there. Lots of focus on food and camping and survival stuff.
Got a harem tag/description, how weird does this one get?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jackard posted:

So far not weird at all. Might get worse when more chapters are out but it's quite tame.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Jackard posted:

I re-read the available chapters the other night and right now I'm halfway convinced the elf girl is actually the one getting a harem? Both the protag and the knight girl seem way more into her than each other.

But yeah, other than that it's basically just a chill story about eating wild game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

harem tag gets applied to anything with more than one female recurring character it feels like, better safe than sorry with isekai I guess but it's not always the case.

moon-led journey for example is marked harem but has the two love interests and that's it despite having a huge cast of female characters.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Truck Kun is no match for THE PRESIDENT.

Ride-On king is just that little bit funnier because of presidential shenaniganery.
or just that little bit unfunnier because it appears to be parodying a currently alive dude who is loving up the entire world

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New chapter of Isekai Tensei Soudouki out. Not much gets done but it sets the stage quite nicely for future events, and introduces barbed wire to the world.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The latest chapter of Old Guy Kane or whatever the short title of that one ought to be addressed some of the concerns I had about him having any agency to stop being completely steamrolled by the hero party; he'll probably still get steamrolled but scolding them for it was pretty good and I was glad he stood up for himself a bit.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Karate Baka Isekai

Moron attempts to go fist-to-grille with a 4 ton truck. Predictably, the truck wins. He's given the option to reincarnate with a cheat skill, but declines the cheat skill because he just wants to KARATE EVERYTHING.

Which he does, and so far it's entertaining. Only a few chapters, but seems like it'll be very unlikely to go weird.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I want it to go weird in a good/goofy way where he finds someone who's as into their own martial art as he is into :byodood: "KARATE!"

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Dear lord he is basically Ryu.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The princess is totally gonna become his disciple isn't she

Have another while I'm at it :

Live Dungeon

The TL;DR version is that a gamer wants to finish a 100-floor raid before a game is shut down but can't get a group, so he 5-boxes it and succeeds. Then he gets Isekai'ed over to the world of the dungeon. Turns out that everyone there is basically stupid and just Zergs content without paying attention to party comp, and uses healers as disposable rez bots. So he finds two adventurers and decides to take on the dungeon with an actual strategy and balanced team. Also he gets poo poo on constantly because of course he does.

It's OK, not as funny as Karate Idiot but worth a look if you have run out of other stuff to read.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't like stories where the premise is "everyone but the MC is an idiot so he can look smart."