Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
US Army has a small (now declassified, although its missions aren't obviously) autonomous space shuttle that they could probably use to try and reorbit a bunch of them, but I'm not sure it won't just draw attention to itself and to whatever changes they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

US Army has a small (now declassified, although its missions aren't obviously) autonomous space shuttle that they could probably use to try and reorbit a bunch of them, but I'm not sure it won't just draw attention to itself and to whatever changes they made.

The X-37 is most assuredly not an Army asset. The army is more of a space customer, than operator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The X-37 is most assuredly not an Army asset. The army is more of a space customer, than operator.

That and its a USAF Asset. At least the B, the A is NASAs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That thing also had enough delta-v to go to the loving moon and back, which makes it one of the most powerful spacecraft since the Saturn V roared off the pad.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Icon Of Sin posted:

That thing also had enough delta-v to go to the loving moon and back, which makes it one of the most powerful spacecraft since the Saturn V roared off the pad.

What movie is this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I could swear it was the Army, not sure why.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s not exactly how it works. It is launched by conventional launchers, none even approaching the Saturn V. It has a tremendous Delta-V budget because it’s got large fuel reserves and is relatively lightweight.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

That’s not exactly how it works. It is launched by conventional launchers, none even approaching the Saturn V. It has a tremendous Delta-V budget because it’s got large fuel reserves and is relatively lightweight.

Yeah, it's quite small.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What the gently caress is that thing for?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

dicking around in space, presumably it goes and snoops around satellites or something

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Nobody who isn’t in the program knows for sure. And they’re not talking.

It’s some interesting tech.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the story of it being a testbed for spy sat sensors and thrusters and stuff because it can stay up for years at a time and return safely to earth seems plausible, getting stuff back from space is expensive but worthwhile because you can really pick it apart like you can't with a satellite that can't come back

but it definitely isn't using all that fuel just for endurance/exposure tests either

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I guess “powerful” isn’t quite the right word for it, but that’s still an insane amount of delta-v on board.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

Testing spy satellite equipment so that 45 can brag on Twitter.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I remember being ordered not to read wikileaks or the snowden dump stuff, does that apply in this instance? Keyhole discussions in the smoke pit like it ain't no thang?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think “released by POTUS (no matter how loving dumb it was)” makes it declassified, but I really hope I’m wrong about that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think it's kinda like when we dropped Fat Man in that it's a wee bit hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

I think it's kinda like when we dropped Fat Man in that it's a wee bit hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

how appropriate

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Friends. Soldiers. Officers. Please. This is DoD classification we're talking about. You're expecting it to make sense? You're expecting its enforcement to make sense?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think “released by POTUS (no matter how loving dumb it was)” makes it declassified, but I really hope I’m wrong about that.

"It's not illegal if the president does it."

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That was the justification of why it was ok for him to give 5i Intel to putin right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FrozenVent posted:

When asking about what the X-37B does, the answer should be framed in the scope of "what *can't* it do (either because of payload restriction or international treaty/law governing space weapons) and what *shouldn't* it do."

The Soviets were poo poo scared of the Space Shuttle because they couldn't conceive of any other use for it other than a manned orbital nuclear launch platform. A manned and recoverable FOBS system - maybe even one that could be reloaded in orbit. It'd be a horrendous waste of resources to do something so dangerous, but the X-37 could deploy an RV from orbit with no launch indication and just obliterate a target with little to no warning.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 31, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stravag posted:

That was the justification of why it was ok for him to give 5i Intel to putin right?

"I am literally a Russian asset and you can't do poo poo."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guest2553 posted:

I remember being ordered not to read wikileaks or the snowden dump stuff, does that apply in this instance? Keyhole discussions in the smoke pit like it ain't no thang?

Wikileaks is public. If a Google search can find it, read it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When asking about what the X-37B does, the answer should be framed in the scope of "what *can't* it do (either because of payload restriction or international treaty/law governing space weapons) and what *shouldn't* it do."

The Soviets were poo poo scared of the Space Shuttle because they couldn't conceive of any other use for it other than a manned orbital nuclear launch platform. A manned and recoverable FOBS system - maybe even one that could be reloaded in orbit. It'd be a horrendous waste of resources to do something so dangerous, but the X-37 could deploy an RV from orbit with no launch indication and just obliterate a target with little to no warning.

Hobbyists at one point tracked it very near the orbit of a Chinese intel sat iirc

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Wikileaks is public. If a Google search can find it, read it.

No doubt...it wasn't a very good order, but it was an order all the same.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guest2553 posted:

No doubt...it wasn't a very good order, but it was an order all the same.

If the thread hadn't already had the best possible title...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Imagine being able to move your dark space shuttle in front of the aperature of a space camera on the single orbit it would be observing whatever youre trying to hide

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Classification power derives from the office of the president.

This is the one case in which “if the president did it, that means that it is not illegal” is true.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Woops, a fourteen foot tungsten carbide rod seems to have impacted your base at 13 miles per second.

Where could that have come from...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Woops, a fourteen foot tungsten carbide rod seems to have impacted your base at 13 miles per second.

“Can’t be us because we’re smart enough to use metallic tungsten.” :smuggo:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Guest2553 posted:

This lawyer thinks so: https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1167531824857436172?s=20

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

See?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Friends. Soldiers. Officers. Please. This is DoD classification we're talking about. You're expecting it to make sense? You're expecting its enforcement to make sense?

I have quite literally sat in a classified briefing where they took great care to confiscate everybody's cell phone, but still had to confiscate handwritten notes at the end because we are required to have paper and pencil as part of the uniform. This was years before I ever saw The Wire or the criminal conspiracy scene. I even had a moment where I turned to one of my brother LTs who pulled out his notepad to ask him why he was taking notes when they just yanked our phones.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EBB posted:

I have quite literally sat in a classified briefing where they took great care to confiscate everybody's cell phone, but still had to confiscate handwritten notes at the end because we are required to have paper and pencil as part of the uniform. This was years before I ever saw The Wire or the criminal conspiracy scene. I even had a moment where I turned to one of my brother LTs who pulled out his notepad to ask him why he was taking notes when they just yanked our phones.

:discourse:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Memento posted:

Yeah, inanimate carbon rod is cool but have you maybe considered using a nuke

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, inanimate carbon rod is cool but have you maybe considered using a nuke

We weren't talking about getting rid of hurricanes?!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hollow Talk posted:

We weren't talking about getting rid of hurricanes?!

brains
May 12, 2004

Stravag posted:

well it's probably not too important if it's limited to Iceland, Ireland, Italy, India, and Indonesia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

Pencil and paper as part of the uniform, overriding security concerns, makes me chuckle