Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Athanatos posted:

Well, so far:

2002 - Present

Go AFC South Go!

EDIT: Something for the top of the page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
man, I'm not sure if Walter Jones in his prime would be worth what the Texans gave for Tunsil

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Lesean McCoy would be a good pickup for the Jags as a change of pace and an insurance policy against Fournette turning out to be a bust.

Damarius Thomas might be worth a look too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

JT Jag posted:

man, I'm not sure if Walter Jones in his prime would be worth what the Texans gave for Tunsil

The Texans overpaid but lol of course he would be

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The jags becoming a top 2 competent franchise in the division just by not doing anything stupid. It's very good

E: well signing Foles was dumb but you have to gamble on QBs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
What was it two firsts and a second? Good drat. Basically BOB just decided that he was having Tunsil no matter what and just kept making higher offers. The fact that there's no gm there makes it even more funny. I'm interested to see how much longer they let Bill run wild like this, if they have a bad season this year does ownership consider dumping him? Who knows

I really like the team though and I love Deshaun. I feel like BOB knows he had to perform this season and the trade is him desperately trying to save the season

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Colts gently caress up a superstar QB, Texans, hold my beer.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
O’Brien is as shrewd at negotiation as a used car salesman who starts sobbing saying his wife is gonna leave him if you don’t buy this car.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

E: well signing Foles was dumb but you have to gamble on QBs

lol no. They needed to do something about Bortles and Foles was by far their best option. Their really dumb decision was not drafting DeSean Watson or Patrick Mahommes in 2107. Considering how many top tier draft positions they've had over the last decade, it's astonishing how little they have to show for it and some of the players they passed on. It's why they never improve.

Look at some of these top 10 picks: Bortles, Luke Joekel, Blaine Gabbert, Justin Blackmon, Tyson Alualu and Dante Fowler. Leonard Fournette is looking like a bust.

Jalen Ramsey is great, Josh Allen looks good and they've had some OK later round picks but their drafts overall have been just woeful.

They've passed on Nick Chubb, Desean Watson, Amari Cooper, Todd Gurley, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Lane Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Luke Kuechley, Fletcher Cox, JJ Watt, Mark Ingram, Jason Pierre Paul, Zach Ertz, Zack Martin, Laremy Tunsil, Pat Mahommes and Dez Bryant in this decade - drafting in the top 10 every year but one and SIX TIMES in the TOP FIVE. You'd think they'd get a star or 2 through sheer luck

Those are just mostly the other first rounders and names that jumped out at me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
signing foles was really dumb as he is not that good lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My life improved dramatically when I stopped following football but I just heard the news about the Texans so I decided to pop in to say: lol

I miss some of you guys but I dont miss football, I hope everyone is well.

Metapod posted:

signing foles was really dumb as he is not that good lol
Source your quotes dumbass.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My life improved dramatically when I stopped following football but I just heard the news about the Texans so I decided to pop in to say: lol

I miss some of you guys but I dont miss football, I hope everyone is well.

Good to see you Muenster. You're always welcome here. Yes, Bill O'Brien is the worst, everyone here agrees unanimously.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

It's cool Seattle has 2 of our best players because we're run by sensitive and temperamental man babies.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I hate my team in a way that's difficult to put into words

:hmmyes:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

lol no. They needed to do something about Bortles and Foles was by far their best option. Their really dumb decision was not drafting DeSean Watson or Patrick Mahommes in 2107. Considering how many top tier draft positions they've had over the last decade, it's astonishing how little they have to show for it and some of the players they passed on. It's why they never improve.

Look at some of these top 10 picks: Bortles, Luke Joekel, Blaine Gabbert, Justin Blackmon, Tyson Alualu and Dante Fowler. Leonard Fournette is looking like a bust.

Jalen Ramsey is great, Josh Allen looks good and they've had some OK later round picks but their drafts overall have been just woeful.

They've passed on Nick Chubb, Desean Watson, Amari Cooper, Todd Gurley, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Lane Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Luke Kuechley, Fletcher Cox, JJ Watt, Mark Ingram, Jason Pierre Paul, Zach Ertz, Zack Martin, Laremy Tunsil, Pat Mahommes and Dez Bryant in this decade - drafting in the top 10 every year but one and SIX TIMES in the TOP FIVE. You'd think they'd get a star or 2 through sheer luck

Those are just mostly the other first rounders and names that jumped out at me.

:smith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kirios posted:

Good to see you Muenster. You're always welcome here. Yes, Bill O'Brien is the worst, everyone here agrees unanimously.
:gbsmith: Thanks man, this made my day.

Didnt BOB win the power struggle in Houston and is now his own GM? So he's pulling a Gruden but for a LT instead of a QB?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Foles was bad outside that one chip Kelly year and that magical playoff run (he did not look good the regular season games before the playoffs that year)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Metapod posted:

Foles was bad outside that one chip Kelly year and that magical playoff run (he did not look good the regular season games before the playoffs that year)
Yes but Foles' bad is still better than Bortles' best so whats your point?

I'm not even going to be watching so I dont care so much but I think we can all agree Bortles is bad just like BOB is the worst. I defended him a few times when the team around him was also putrid but Bortles is just outright bad (I never said he was that good, just that he shouldnt get all the blame because the rest of the team supporting him was poo poo). Nick Foles is a superbowl MVP. He was mediocre under Andy Reid, Real Good under the Chipster, Real Bad on a Jeff Fisher team (which, name a QB other than Steve McNair or *checks notes* Billy Volek?!? that wasnt), then less than stellar when coming off of the bench after getting zero first team snaps all year but then got hot in the playoffs; then the next year, after getting zero first team reps all year he came off the bench and almost got the Eagles into the playoffs. You make the decision to cut Bortles and sign Foles 100 out of 100 times without a second thought. Even if he turns out to be bad he will still be better than Bortles and saying it was dumb to sign him is like saying it was dumb to drink water today.

Stupid poo poo like this is why I stopped watching football lmao, peace out folks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I mean yeah he's probably better than Bortles but that doesn't mean you should sign him to a large 4 year deal

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Woke up this morning and the Clooney trade is still real and everyone who could possibly have a sports take is laughing at Bill O’Brien. gently caress.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Foles outdueled Tom Brady in the Superbowl

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Intruder posted:

Foles outdueled Tom Brady in the Superbowl

At this point I have trouble remembering all the super bowl wins, never mind the losses.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yes but Foles' bad is still better than Bortles' best so whats your point?

I'm not even going to be watching so I dont care so much but I think we can all agree Bortles is bad just like BOB is the worst. I defended him a few times when the team around him was also putrid but Bortles is just outright bad (I never said he was that good, just that he shouldnt get all the blame because the rest of the team supporting him was poo poo). Nick Foles is a superbowl MVP. He was mediocre under Andy Reid, Real Good under the Chipster, Real Bad on a Jeff Fisher team (which, name a QB other than Steve McNair or *checks notes* Billy Volek?!? that wasnt), then less than stellar when coming off of the bench after getting zero first team snaps all year but then got hot in the playoffs; then the next year, after getting zero first team reps all year he came off the bench and almost got the Eagles into the playoffs. You make the decision to cut Bortles and sign Foles 100 out of 100 times without a second thought. Even if he turns out to be bad he will still be better than Bortles and saying it was dumb to sign him is like saying it was dumb to drink water today.

Stupid poo poo like this is why I stopped watching football lmao, peace out folks

Metapod posted:

I mean yeah he's probably better than Bortles but that doesn't mean you should sign him to a large 4 year deal

Jags think their window is now and they may be right. They can build around that defense as long the offense doesn't gently caress poo poo up.

Bortles and Nick have been in the league roughly the same amount of time and, looking at their lifetime stats, Foles has him beat in every single category, most notably in INT% which is what JAX needs. He's also got him beat in YPA by a full yard and by 8 points in QB rating. Having Difilipo around I think will help him. If Foles can find ANY support around him and get a WR to break out a little there will be a noticeable improvement in W/L record.

Even if you consider the Chip Kelly and Jeff FIsher years as outliers, Nick's pretty solid and has shown flashes of greatness. He can throw guys open, make quick reads, throw long and usually doesn't make horrible mistakes.

I'm optimistic.

Comrayn posted:

Woke up this morning and the Clooney trade is still real and everyone who could possibly have a sports take is laughing at Bill O’Brien. gently caress.

Goerge Clooney got traded?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad you're optimistic op I just don't see it going well

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also forgot to mention that Kaepernick is better than either of them but the rednecks here in Jax would burn down the loving stadium if Kahn ever signed him.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Also forgot to mention that Kaepernick is better than either of them but the rednecks here in Jax would burn down the loving stadium if Kahn ever signed him.

*idly wonders if betting in vegas against Kaep playing on any team this season is possible* (always bet on racism)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not AFC South related but watching the entire league and the fans gradually turn on Kap is just crazy. It even started before all the anthem bullshit.

In his 1st 2 years starting, dude went 17-6 including a trip to the Super Bowl and one NFC title game. He electrified the league and had crazy running skills to boot. Any other QB with that on his resume would have been given infinite chances to play and recapture that. The 49ers went 8-8 then completely poo poo the bed and Kap went 2-6. All of a sudden apparently he couldn't play anymore which is insane. Even when they went 1-10, a look at the numbers hardly suggests you can hang that on him.

I can't remember another QB with that sort of start to his career that everyone just suddenly decided sucked. Now that half the world hates him or whatever, it's been made retroactive to suggest that he always sucked. Who else had that sort of early success and then just went poof like that?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't remember another QB with that sort of start to his career that everyone just suddenly decided sucked. Now that half the world hates him or whatever, it's been made retroactive to suggest that he always sucked. Who else had that sort of early success and then just went poof like that?

One Vincent Young

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Big Jesus posted:

One Vincent Young

Hook em

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kap legit probably wouldn't be good anymore since he's been out of the league for three years and he was mentally breaking a bit from the Niners lovely o-line giving him the willies, which is hard for any quarterback to ever recover from, but he's certainly good enough to be a backup, especially in a league that let Michael Vick kick around after prison. It's just stupid. Probably not better than Foles though who also doesn't have the best upside considering how up and down he's been. And I know Bortles kinda poo poo the bed, but I feel like he got over singled out for that team's troubles, there was something systemically wrong there. Bortles isn't Brock bad or even Matt Cassel bad... okay, maybe Matt Cassel bad. Maybe he's just Matt Cassel.

Anyway, Vince Young is a drat hero, no one can poo poo on him.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
There were plenty of times last year it was said "Man, the Jags would be real good with a QB better than Bort."

I cant say with confidence, Foles is better than Bort.

Edit: I 100% meant to type "can say" but my brain wouldn't let me I guess? So here we are.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 1, 2019

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Athanatos posted:

There were plenty of times last year it was said "Man, the Jags would be real good with a QB better than Bort."

and he's never played 16 games. He's going to be pressured, and his receiving corps doesn't really inspire confidence.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I just really like Bort.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It just seems like a bad idea to run with an injury-prone guy like Foles in a division with people like Clowney in it wait nevermind.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1168153526700335104

LOL

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

One Vincent Young

Touche. RG3 comes to mind too but neither of those guys had Kap's early success or anything close. Culpepper and Sanchez too but both of them at least got more chances. poo poo, Sanchez played last year. Very poorly.

Athanatos posted:

Then you don't watch many Jags games obviously. Bortles' gently caress ups were even worse than your average turnover because the dude was famous throwing picks that went the other way for six. His flat and out routes would hit the other guy running with remarkable frequency, so basically handing the other team 7 points in a league where the average margine of victory is like 3 or 4.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pick_six_career.htm

Bortles is #34 ALL TIME in career pick sixes with only 5 years under his belt. Wow. Almost all the names ahead of him are Hall of Famers who played forever and threw hundreds more passes. Favre, Marino, Namath, Brees and Peyton. I can't find a breakdown of pick sixes per attempt but a glance at that chart tells me Bortles is #2. I took a look at Lynn Dickey but he has 2x as many lifetime attempts. Jay Cutler has like 1.75x more. The only guy I can find who's worse is Joey Harrington so...

yeah. I'll take Big Dick Nick.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 1, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BiggerBoat posted:

Bortles is #34 ALL TIME in career pick sixes with only 5 years under his belt. Wow. Almost all the names ahead of him are Hall of Famers who played forever and threw hundreds more passes. Favre, Marino, Namath, Brees and Peyton. I can't find a breakdown of pick sixes per attempt but a glance at that chart tells me Bortles is #2. I took a look at Lynn Dickey but he has 2x as many lifetime attempts. Jay Cutler has like 1.75x more. The only guy I can find who's worse is Joey Harrington so...

So you're saying Bort is a future Hall of Famer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mega64 posted:

So you're saying Bort is a future Hall of Famer.

A lock.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The Tennessee Titans are winning the division and that’s final.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pick_six_career.htm

lol he has one less than Schaub who has 10 more years in the league and famously threw a loving bunch of them in consecutive games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Athanatos posted:

I just really like Bort.

Yeah, I think 3/4 of the AFC South did.