Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in case nobody reads genchat: there's someone in south africa selling a metric loving shitload of 35mm prints of martial arts movies on ebay

there's a lot of non-martial-arts stuff too, it's generally a loving lot, but it's probably worth looking through if you have any interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

got any sevens posted:

If you havent seen Vampire Raiders vs Ninja Queen, get on that. It was so friggin fun.

And last year I saw some weird kung fu film with an evil gang that wore cheesy demon masks when they killed people with tridents, and one of the gang members helped the hero. Anyone know which that was? It was really fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTLCUuDg1B8

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

got any sevens posted:

If you havent seen Vampire Raiders vs Ninja Queen, get on that. It was so friggin fun.

And last year I saw some weird kung fu film with an evil gang that wore cheesy demon masks when they killed people with tridents, and one of the gang members helped the hero. Anyone know which that was? It was really fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK20-dk3D6w

Oh my God....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-nx9kPD2bx3_bSjwPUvhbw/videos

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 15, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Haha thanks guys

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

got any sevens posted:

Haha thanks guys
I believe you can stream Masked Avengers on either Netflix or Amazon Prime. The movie showcases some of the coolest bad guy lair traps I've ever seen in a movie.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I watched Dragons Forever last night with a friend and forgot how enjoyable it really was to me. It's a weird one for sure, and I'm sure there's a lot you can unpack about the crazy leftist guy and the more capitalist characters, but I only took in the surface level things. There are some great memorable moments, and I think you hear the Trailer Park Boys theme on piano somehow halfway through the film.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dragons Forever is fun, but all the bad romantic comedy in the middle of the movie drags the pace down in my opinion. Great final fight too, just slightly less great than in Wheels on Meals.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

We didn't mind it to be honest, my one friend found it wholesome. I could go either way, but I wish the assistant was given a more satisfying conclusion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo plays Jackie's developmentally disabled brother?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That's 'Heart of the Dragon'.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo plays Jackie's developmentally disabled brother?

It’s the one where Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao star together for the last time. Chan is a lawyer, Biao is some kind of mentally disturbed criminal and Hung is an arms dealer. They’re friends of Chan’s character who he recruits to try to smear the fishery owner suing a chemical plant that’s polluting the water where they fish (the chemical plant retains him to do this). Eventually they discover the chemical plant is a front for drug traffickers and turn on them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oracle posted:

It’s the one where Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao star together for the last time. Chan is a lawyer, Biao is some kind of mentally disturbed criminal and Hung is an arms dealer. They’re friends of Chan’s character who he recruits to try to smear the fishery owner suing a chemical plant that’s polluting the water where they fish (the chemical plant retains him to do this). Eventually they discover the chemical plant is a front for drug traffickers and turn on them.

Right, and one of them fights a squirrelly guy with a cigar and glasses at the end, right? And he slides down a railing in an evil fashion.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Also marks the second (and sadly last) appearance of Benny 'The Jet'.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Benny the Jet had a brief cameo in the Stephen King adaptation 1408.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuel Clemens posted:

In Jackie Chan films, yeah. He's also one of the highlights of Grosse Pointe Blank.

He's also one of the muggers according MJ before the famous upside-down kiss in Spider-Man.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I remember watching Jane the Virgin and in one episode she has a pro wrestling fantasy smackdown, and Benny was the referee... No mention of him, no credit, just me losing it when I saw him in the background

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

In Jackie Chan films, yeah. He's also one of the highlights of Grosse Pointe Blank.

He's also one of the muggers according MJ before the famous upside-down kiss in Spider-Man.

It is I... Sidney Feldman.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Right, and one of them fights a squirrelly guy with a cigar and glasses at the end, right? And he slides down a railing in an evil fashion.

It seemed like everybody in that movie was secretly a Kung fu master. (The squirrelly guy was Yuen Wah, who was Bruce Lee’s stunt double and also a member of the Chinese Opera School the Big Three attended).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I bought the Criterion release of Police Story 1 and 2 and:

1) It's really weird to see an 80s Jackie Chan movie in a transfer that doesn't look like total poo poo

2) I realized I'd never seen Police Story 2 and, what is going on with this movie? It's really good but the end just sort of peters out. I got all hyped up for a big fight with the Very Problematic deaf guy and then Jackie just gets his rear end whipped and then cheats by throwing poppers at him. Did they run out of time for fight choreography? The whole movie seems a little light on fights and goes heavier on the stunts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As amazing as so much of the martial arts in the Police Story series (I mean this is Jackie Chan here) is it is kind of his stunt-heavy series, yeah.

I do think getting the deaf guy back by hitting him with his own weapons was more satisfying than beating the poo poo out of him the whole time, though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

As amazing as so much of the martial arts in the Police Story series (I mean this is Jackie Chan here) is it is kind of his stunt-heavy series, yeah.

I do think getting the deaf guy back by hitting him with his own weapons was more satisfying than beating the poo poo out of him the whole time, though.

Yeah even tho he's a good fighter it still weird optics to beat up someone with a disability

The weirdest part was how they just left the guys inside when the building blew up. That's method acting

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think him getting hosed up by his own weapons is cool, but I felt like the movie was missing the climactic fight scene that I usually expect from JC movies, especially since the setup feels so much like the buildup to the fight with Ken Lo in Drunken Master 2.

I would just chalk it up to the Police Story movies being a different animal, but the stunt-heavy mall fight in 1 still has the briefcase fight with all the glass cases that feels very Drunken Master-esque. In PS2 it feels like it's mostly Jackie running around while people throw stuff at him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not gonna say I wouldn't want more amazing martial arts but I have always liked the last big fight in the warehouse for the cat and mouse nature of it. Even just that one part where he does the monkey bar climb up the underside of the staircase blew me away and has stuck with me for twenty years. I can't even think of a single move from PS3, only vague memories of particular stunts on top of the train. (PS4 is obviously insanely memorable).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, the stairs thing in PS2 is unreal.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Oracle posted:

It seemed like everybody in that movie was secretly a Kung fu master. (The squirrelly guy was Yuen Wah, who was Bruce Lee’s stunt double and also a member of the Chinese Opera School the Big Three attended).
I need to see more films w/ that guy, he was also loving awesome at the end of Eastern Condors

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Coaaab posted:

I need to see more films w/ that guy, he was also loving awesome at the end of Eastern Condors

Check out Bury Me High

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVXkBpa04uE

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

According to at least one list, I've seen like a quarter of the Shaw Bros martial arts films now :eyepop:

The big winner this week was The Duel a loving awesome Chang Cheh film where Ti Lung and David Chiang are fated to square off from the opening scene (the moment they see each other 'Thus Spoke Zarathrustra' plays and the title pops up, a kicking rad moment) but the path they take from there is not so obvious as it first seems. This is still early in the 70s so the fighting is less hand to hand and more bloody knife fighting, lots of throats get slashed. Both leads are at their best here, with Chiang in particular oozing cool.

Even the other Chang Cheh film I saw Masked Avengers, a Venom Mob movie about blood drunking masked cultists couldn't quite compare.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Crosspostin' this.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Having heard a small mountain of praise for Boxer's Omen, I embarked on a long, cruel search for the film.

It seemed that no legal or otherwise means existed to see this gem. Was is slowly becoming a lost film?

Nah, they posted the drat thing on youtube earlier this month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjq43_WpMg

This was one of the very few films that has lived up to it's hype.

It's like a kung-fu flick directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. No words, they should have sent a poet. See this!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I gotta watch that tonight, thanks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lurdiak posted:

Crosspostin' this.

Boy this would be great if I spoke Cantonese

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Boy this would be great if I spoke Cantonese

I'm unsure if understanding the language would help or hurt your ability to follow this story.

With legal and minimal effort, subtitles can be jury rigged. I'd have preferred a dub, even a bad one, but beggars can't be choosers.

The whole channel really is a trove of Shaw Brothers kung-fu, comedy and occasional horror films. Their bigger hits can be found on amazon, but for the deep cuts, this channel is pretty dang good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Boxer's Omen kicks rear end, great find.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Keep in mind Boxer's Omen is a sequel to "Bewitched" (1981). It's a bit more subdued in terms of special effects, but it brings in some really grimy / nasty evil stuff. Once you're done with Boxer's Omen then do yourself a favor and seek this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkY7lB4ZW7E

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
I have been a fan of the subgenre of Hongkong witchery movies for a while now. If you enjoy Boxer's Omen and Bewitched I am pretty sure you'll also like Black Magic, Black Magic 2 and the classic Seeding of a Ghost. The movies are worth it for the massively creative black magic rituals alone. They are even available in pretty nice editions via 88-Films.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

true.spoon posted:

I have been a fan of the subgenre of Hongkong witchery movies for a while now. If you enjoy Boxer's Omen and Bewitched I am pretty sure you'll also like Black Magic, Black Magic 2 and the classic Seeding of a Ghost. The movies are worth it for the massively creative black magic rituals alone. They are even available in pretty nice editions via 88-Films.

Which one is your favourite, then? These appeal to me massively (it basically is what I wanted Only God Forgives to be), but I can only afford so many fancy imported dvds.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

true.spoon posted:

drat is there a US equivalent to these guys or am I getting a region free player

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

drat is there a US equivalent to these guys or am I getting a region free player

For anyone who cares about physical media at all a region free player is a must have. If you've got a pc blu-ray drive already, MakeMKV will happily rip discs from any region. And there is no US equivalent right now, if you care about older Hong Kong action films all the good poo poo is coming from the UK. Eureka has put out a ton of great stuff recently.

Just saw the upcoming releases on that 88-Films page and holy poo poo:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

FancyMike posted:

For anyone who cares about physical media at all a region free player is a must have. If you've got a pc blu-ray drive already, MakeMKV will happily rip discs from any region. And there is no US equivalent right now, if you care about older Hong Kong action films all the good poo poo is coming from the UK. Eureka has put out a ton of great stuff recently.

Yeah, Arrow, Eureka and now this. It's gonna be a drat shame when GB finally successfully saws itself off from the main land and drifts off into the ocean.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

And More posted:

Yeah, Arrow, Eureka and now this. It's gonna be a drat shame when GB finally successfully saws itself off from the main land and drifts off into the ocean.

Until that happens I will continue enjoying the current exchange rate. Importing to the US is very nicely affordable right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

I don’t care about physical media per se but none of this is available in even decent quality digitally afaik so

Thanks for the knowledge, you’re a great resource for info on accessing these kinds of films and I appreciate it :biglips: