Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually find The Good Place to lean more in the horror than the comedy. I don’t find it funny at all, just sad and depressing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Casimir Radon posted:

Ready or Not is a lot of fun, even though it doesn't quite stick the landing.

That's interesting. I feel like the movie starts and finishes strong but has a really weak middle.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

That's interesting. I feel like the movie starts and finishes strong but has a really weak middle.
The ending is Deus Ex Machina with a bit of a fake out. Not bad but still felt like a bit of a letdown. Alex turning on her was also kind of dumb.

It's a better, funnier You're Next

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I actually find The Good Place to lean more in the horror than the comedy. I don’t find it funny at all, just sad and depressing!

Same but with marvel movies.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are the best horror movie freeze-frame endings? Preferably with the credits rolling over the image.

Sleepaway Camp is the one that jumps out to me

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are the best horror movie freeze-frame endings? Preferably with the credits rolling over the image.

The Beyond

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Casimir Radon posted:

The ending is Deus Ex Machina with a bit of a fake out. Not bad but still felt like a bit of a letdown. Alex turning on her was also kind of dumb.

I saw the ending as more of a punchline than a Deus ex Machina. That was the joke the whole movie was building towards: yes, the curse is real and now the whole family dies in a cartoonishly hilarious fashion.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

Sure, on Opposite Day!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like when people separate horror. Every genre is a horror

Considering how many not-horror films I've sat through that were so abysmally bad I guess you could consider them a subgenre of horror in that they exist.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw Creepshow for the first time, kind of a downer honestly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

drat have a fun 5-6 hours

It was v fun. Ready or Not was a blast and exactly what it advertised on the tin—really glad they didn't let the dude off the hook for being selfish enough to put her in that position.

Surprisingly Midsommar didn't drag at all. It was very long but I can't really imagine a shorter version of the narrative that I'd enjoy more. If I'm seeing slow on-the-nose self-indulgent folk horror, I want it to be very slow, very on-the-nose, very self-indulgent, and very folksy.

It was actually a great double-feature from a thematic point, too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sleepaway Camp 2 ”Howdy partners!” always gets me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Latest news report on Halloween Kills: Lindsey will also be returning ... played by the original actress, Kyle Richards. So if nothing else it's setting a new record for longest gap between playing the same character in a movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Blast Fantasto posted:

The Curse of Frankenstein

Also isn't there a folk horror movie that ends with a static shot of a swinging noose rope? Or am I imagining that.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Blast Fantasto posted:

Funny Games for the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35AWnBZgs0c&t=270s

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Casimir Radon posted:

I can see that. I personally enjoyed Ready or Not's ending based simply on the fact that it made me laugh. The husband's heel turn was necessary but too sudden--if the middle of the film was anything but the bride running from the butler they might have done something more interesting with the character.

I appreciate how straightforward and simple the movie is, but I do wish there had been some kind of reversal or new wrinkle to the plot at the midway point. As it is the movie feels a little monotone.

Anyway, good movie. Not great, but good.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

Theatre Of Blood owns. leaning into how the villain is a bonkers melodramatic over-actor and then having Price deliver all these insane monologues is terrific. the party scene where he's mocked and delivering a monologue from the other side of the glass is actually super poignant and incredible as well.

tomorrow: Horror Express!

Loved Theatre of Blood. It's got the perfect tone of dark humour, camp and grizzly horror moments and Price is a delight in every scene.
When I realised King Lear was going to be the final play, I knew where they would go with it and it gave the ending this great melancholic inevitability

Saw Horror Express just last week. I'd put it off for ages because although it's on Prime UK, the sound and picture quality is terrible. I ended up subscribing to Arrow to see it. Comparison:

wtf Amazon, you find that reel in a dumpster?

Anyway, movie was good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arrow has a streaming SERVICE?!?!?!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Arrow has a streaming SERVICE?!?!?!

It's more of a Prime add-in they call 'channels'
There's a shitload of them including Arrow and Shudder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the recent restoration is crucial for Horror Express, don't accept the lovely version.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's more of a Prime add-in they call 'channels'
There's a shitload of them including Arrow and Shudder.

I gotta look into that.

Re: Horror Express, I bought the Arrow blu ray and it is probably the best blind buy I have ever made. Literally the perfect horror movie.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sarchasm posted:

I can see that. I personally enjoyed Ready or Not's ending based simply on the fact that it made me laugh. The husband's heel turn was necessary but too sudden--if the middle of the film was anything but the bride running from the butler they might have done something more interesting with the character.

I appreciate how straightforward and simple the movie is, but I do wish there had been some kind of reversal or new wrinkle to the plot at the midway point. As it is the movie feels a little monotone.

Anyway, good movie. Not great, but good.

Had similar thoughts when I watched. It’s hard to fault it when my complaints boil down to “I wanted more” but Ready or Not feels just a few scenes short of being a great movie instead of just a good one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How the hell do you get to the Arrow channel on Prime? I don't see it here and searching or googling just brings up the Green Arrow tv show.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

How the hell do you get to the Arrow channel on Prime? I don't see it here and searching or googling just brings up the Green Arrow tv show.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/o...7326_1949156858

It might be region locked

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, The People Under the Stairs really doesn't get as much love as it should. It's such a fun and grimey movie. But I also want it to be remade. It's a fun story and the actors are great... but Craven's writing of black character does get a bit cringey.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 3, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, The People Under the Stairs really doesn't get as much love as it should. It's such a fun and grimey movie. Bu I also want it to be remade. It's a fun story and the actors are great... but Craven's writing of black character does get a bit cringey.

It loving rules. It’s also an interesting snapshot into a time when Twin Peaks was the biggest show in the world, so Craven just grabs an already existing married couple from that show and they both kick rear end in the movie.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Casimir Radon posted:

Ready or Not is a lot of fun, even though it doesn't quite stick the landing.

My wife and I just got back from seeing it. I thought the ending would be some hubris-fueled self-fulfilling prophecy since the Dad mentioned that other rich family burning to death, but I was tickled fuckin pink by what actually happened. I blurted out "HAH!" and scared my wife :laugh:

It was a lot of fun. Was slow in some parts, but overall really fun.

j. alfred moonrock
Nov 15, 2014
Followed the old horror thread for years and had to drop out around 2014 or so because life got in the way of keeping up with it. I've been keeping up with the biggest theatrical releases in horror and most of the big stuff that popped up on Netflix, but I miss the days of being clued in on random borderline cult classics. S&Man, Excision, and Lake Mungo were all fun flicks I remember encountering thanks to this thread. So, my absurdly wide open question is, what have I missed in the last half decade that fits this bill?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Upgrade.

It isn’t a horror but it was made by a horror man and it’s amazing and I wish it was more beloved

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought the twist in Ready or Not was super obvious and telegraphed almost from the beginning of the film, and this made the ending kind of bleh and anticlimactic for me. I wanted to like it but was sorry I paid to watch it in the theater.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’d say Upgrade is at the very least horror-adjacent. The kills seem to dip into slasher territory vs. what you’d see in a typical action movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

j. alfred moonrock posted:

Followed the old horror thread for years and had to drop out around 2014 or so because life got in the way of keeping up with it. I've been keeping up with the biggest theatrical releases in horror and most of the big stuff that popped up on Netflix, but I miss the days of being clued in on random borderline cult classics. S&Man, Excision, and Lake Mungo were all fun flicks I remember encountering thanks to this thread. So, my absurdly wide open question is, what have I missed in the last half decade that fits this bill?

Knife + Heart and The Eyes Of My Mother are two masterpieces imo.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’d say Upgrade is at the very least horror-adjacent. The kills seem to dip into slasher territory vs. what you’d see in a typical action movie.

If I hear one more person try to convince me that "BRO TERMINATOR IS A SLASHER" I'm going to vomit on their face.

Slashers don't use guns. It's in the loving NAME. SLASHER. SLASH. LIKE WITH A KNIFE.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kvlt! posted:

Slashers don't use guns.

Jason has killed people with a harpoon gun before. Are you telling me that Jason isn't a slasher?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Jason has killed people with a harpoon gun before. Are you telling me that Jason isn't a slasher?

The only reason Jason doesn't use guns is because his mom always told him that good boys don't play with fire arms

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

j. alfred moonrock posted:

I don't remember what's been on Netflix but for non-wide releases I'd say these are worth a look

One Cut of the Dead
Creep
Creep 2
Mandy
Hell House LLC
Train to Busan
The Wailing
The Endless
The House That Jack Built
I Am Not a Serial Killer
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Clovehitch Killer
The Invitation
Mom and Dad
Savageland
The Eyes of My Mother
Under the Shadow
November
Southbound
Summer of '84
Never Hike Alone
Hush
Raw
Baskin
The Blackcoat's Daughter
A Dark Song
The Devil's Candy
The Void
Bone Tomahawk

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Knife + Heart and The Eyes Of My Mother are two masterpieces imo.

If I hear one more person try to convince me that "BRO TERMINATOR IS A SLASHER" I'm going to vomit on their face.

Slashers don't use guns. It's in the loving NAME. SLASHER. SLASH. LIKE WITH A KNIFE.

Plenty of slasher villains don’t use knives.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mulva posted:

True let me amend my statement: slashers don't use GUNPOWDER BASED FIREARMS

sponges posted:

Plenty of slasher villains don’t use knives.

Yeah I just used that as kinda a joke but my point was more they dont use guns

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I watched Evil Bong last weekend to prepare for your writeup. Just so you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kvlt! posted:

I can’t tell if you’re disagreeing with me or just making an unrelated comment but someone gets absolutely destroyed with a knife in Upgrade which is what inspired my slasher territory comment.