Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

veni veni veni posted:

Office Space has held up a lot better for me than The Office. maybe that's not fair because it's a 2 hour movie and not like, 8 season of TV but I really just find the Office lame and annoying when I try to watch it now. There's like 10 bad jokes for every good one and the sheer amount of them is exhausting.

I feel the exact opposite. I still like The Office quite a bit (although holy poo poo did the post-Michael seasons get bad), but Office Space has aged incredibly poorly for me. I think Office Space might be one of those movies that college ruined for me because of classmates quoting it non-loving-stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you can be at work and have some kind of printer problem and not get a laugh from "PC load letter, what the gently caress does that mean" then you have my pity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

withak posted:

If you can be at work and have some kind of printer problem and not get a laugh from "PC load letter, what the gently caress does that mean" then you have my pity.

Oh, I've worked white-collar jobs for most of my adult life, and that line still gets me (edit: and I had a situation at a contract job where it literally took three different IT guys to figure out why my ID badge wasn't scanning properly for a print), but a lot of the jokes in that movie just got ran into the loving ground.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance..

Its good.. very good even. I feel however visualy its gonna get dinged from some people for the mismatch between the CG and the Puppetry. Both are excellent indeed but there is a mismatch there sometimes.

On the other hand, more of these guys: [img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/darkcrystal/images/8/81/Fizzgig.jpg/[img]

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

I'm about to binge Carnival Row. I hear it's not that great though. We'll see how far I can muster. Wish me luck.

I'm watching the first episode right now, my immediate thought is this is just a fantasy version of Defiance, which happens to be exactly the kind of trash I'm into.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In my office, all the 20-somethings put on Friends or The Office every lunch break and have it as a conversation piece while they're eating. No one pays all that much attention to it, and they can move on to talking about other things or even get up and leave the room entirely if it's still on. No other shows are like that. I guess it's like when people my age used to turn on Nick-at-Nite when we were doing other things, no matter how many times we saw that rerun of I Love Lucy or Happy Days.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

LadyPictureShow posted:

A new season of Great British Bake-off/Great British Baking Show is up on Netflix :neckbeard:

E: new episodes weekly?! Goddamn it.

Yeah this is some bullshit, gently caress everything

Protest y’all. REBEL.

I AM SERIOUS.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've watched 20 minutes of the Dark Crystal show and it has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've watched 20 minutes of the Dark Crystal show and it has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard.

20 minutes in is about when I bailed. I'll probably go back because I love The Dark Crystal and it looks good overall, but the Gelflings both look and sound terrible.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah this is some bullshit, gently caress everything

Protest y’all. REBEL.

I AM SERIOUS.

I like it, now I can't binge it in two days and be left wishing for more.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'd probably watch a show that's just like half an hour of the skeksis being weird gross assholes at each other

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

dudeness posted:

I'm watching the first episode right now, my immediate thought is this is just a fantasy version of Defiance, which happens to be exactly the kind of trash I'm into.

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when the bosun said "It's the coastal batteries!" No poo poo mate, never mind looking to windward.

The first scene with the police chief has me sold.

It's a shame they did't steal borrow more of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, there is a campness to it, but without the humour. Still I'm only on ep.2.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 31, 2019

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

ElMudo posted:

I like it, now I can't binge it in two days and be left wishing for more.

I am honestly in the same boat. The one a week thing is not what I want. The more outraged I wanted to sound the more sarcastic it sounded instead? Words hard idk

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dudeness posted:

I feel asleep right before the second episode lol. So much for binging. Initial impression was good though, yeah. World building is good, characters are kinda poo poo, but ehh, I like the aesthetic.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'd rewatch The Office more, but I can't loving stand Jim and Pam. They're just the worst, most annoying people.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Stanley is the only relatable character on the Office.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the biggest problem with the Office is that it got so loving bad towards the end that it managed to sour me on the good stuff. It was really bad even a good while before Michael Scott left. It all just feels like a blur. Every time Jim looks at the camera like "whut" I just want to smack him.

Parks and Rec was just the office but better. I'll just watch that instead. Although the last couple of seasons of Parks and Rec sucked too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChickenMedium posted:

but the Gelflings both look and sound terrible.

Sadly I have to agree with this. They look so bad and the voice acting/script doesn't really fit the tone of the original. I'm still gonna give it a fair shake. it's very pretty looking otherwise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think them looking so bad is actually part of the charm. It's neat to see the things people can do with puppets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No I mean they look bad compared to how they looked in the original, which were also puppets. They just look sort of greasy and deformed.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Office Space has held up a lot better for me than The Office. maybe that's not fair because it's a 2 hour movie and not like, 8 season of TV but I really just find the Office lame and annoying when I try to watch it now. There's like 10 bad jokes for every good one and the sheer amount of them is exhausting.
If Mike Judge had pitched Office Space as a series instead of King of the Hill, I wonder if it would have been as huge a hit as The Office eventually was.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My Twitter Account posted:

If Mike Judge had pitched Office Space as a series instead of King of the Hill, I wonder if it would have been as huge a hit as The Office eventually was.

I'd watch "the office, but Jim is a low key criminal and split into three characters"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

punk rebel ecks posted:

so it's true to the original then

e: I love The Dark Crystal but it's reaaaaaally not carried by its script

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 1, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's a lot more gore, violence, and sex in the first two episodes of Carnival Row than I was expecting. The trailer I saw a little while ago did not give off that kinda vibe lmao. Kinda digging this.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

teagone posted:

There's a lot more gore, violence, and sex in the first two episodes of Carnival Row than I was expecting. The trailer I saw a little while ago did not give off that kinda vibe lmao. Kinda digging this.

That's every prestige show these days. Gotta have tits and swears and blood to prove it's "serious TV"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ChickenMedium posted:

That's every prestige show these days. Gotta have tits and swears and blood to prove it's "serious TV"

I'm reading the Witcher series right now and can only imagine how bad the Netflix series will be in that regard. Frankly I think you could excise the male-gaziness trash painlessly but can you imagine the uproar if the producers tried that?

they won't, of course

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 1, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Carnival Row Episode 4

Orlando Bloom has to give a sperm sample so that a witch can merge a dead mole and a dead fish together and bring it to life

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dudeness posted:

Carnival Row Episode 4

Orlando Bloom has to give a sperm sample so that a witch can merge a dead mole and a dead fish together and bring it to life

Yeah, show owns.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

American Factory on Netflix is beyond infuriating, gently caress

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I assumed Carnival Row was an adaptation of some kind of fantasy/steampunk novels, but apparently it's an original series. It really seems like something that would already have extremely detailed lore/worldbuilding and really intense fans, but that's probably just because it reminds me of the stuff I was into in 8th grade.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

dudeness posted:

Carnival Row Episode 4

that old gag

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

dudeness posted:

Carnival Row Episode 4

The Magicians does some pretty weird poo poo as well. Not sure if I'd call it prestige but

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

is Small Town Crime any good?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

is Small Town Crime any good?

It's good by virtue of being a film starring John Hawkes, although I remember the script being a bit too cute at times

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carnival Row is really bad. It would have been okay if it didn't take itself so seriously, but it's taking a script that makes The Magicians look like Shakespeare and trying to turn it into a serious, gritty fantasy show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Think I was probably too hard on the puppets in dark crystal. They look pretty good. Just gave me a weird first impression. Overall I’m enjoying this so far. If nothing else it gorgeous to look at.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Started watching Mission Impossible: Fallout

I’ve only seen the first two and the second one had me going “enough with the loving masks”

20 minutes into the new one - oh gently caress it was a guy wearing a mask!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not sure it's possible to not like masks and to truly enjoy M:I movies.

Masks loving rule.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Started watching Mission Impossible: Fallout

I’ve only seen the first two and the second one had me going “enough with the loving masks”

20 minutes into the new one - oh gently caress it was a guy wearing a mask!

I was skeptical about the Mission Impossibles for years, after seeing 1 and 2 in the theater (and not even remembering I had seen 2) and skipping all the rest out of a general distaste for Tom Cruise.

But I binged the series leading up to Fallout (6), and 3-6 are all outstanding action movies, all far better than 1 and 2.

I'd rank them:
Fallout (6) --> Ghost Protocol (4) --> tie between Rogue Nation (5) and 3 --> 1 ----------------------------------> 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
On the other hand, it's kinda dumb when sci-fi series introduce amazing technology and then suddenly stop using it for some reason.