Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGKdX87TMbE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My mind just edits out that superfluous "1" on the population sign every time.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

IN the percolatorrr

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ha, the design on her sweater

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm late but I'm here! This Leo guy sure seems like a real rear end in a top hat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's Bob!

https://twitter.com/rajandelman/status/1167898435766276103

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
That early scene of Major Briggs being kind of just a standard rear end in a top hat Stern Dad makes me appreciate what they do with his character later on so much more. It's also cute to see characters do the Bookhouse Boy forehead signal thing before it's fully introduced (even if something in the back of my mind nags at me that all the towns cops being in a weird secret society thing is probably not, uh, great).

And it's wonderful just knowing that at one point possibly the most popular show in the country heavily featured Jack Nance and Ray Wise. Just lovely knowing that countless TVs had the star of Eraserhead accidentally serving fish coffee and such on their screens every week as a part of a cultural phenomenon.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Rageaholic posted:

I'm late but I'm here! This Leo guy sure seems like a real rear end in a top hat

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o2ca

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, drat good coffee, midnight on a moonless night, fish in the percolator, pie… This episode’s got it all. Audrey is such a weirdo, too. Her conversation with agent Cooper is just surreal. Itchy palms? What? James forgets to mention that Laura told him Bobby killed a guy. It’s never brought up again until FWWM, either, is it?

Lucy talking about how she heard the sound of wind blowing through trees while talking to Albert reminds me of Candy from season three and her opinions on traffic.

Rageaholic posted:

Y’know, despite Leo’s general awfulness, his blank-faced stare really nullifies any threat that emanates from his character. Particularly when he punches the washing machine, and then proceeds to blankly stare into space for a second.

Scones are Good posted:

That early scene of Major Briggs being kind of just a standard rear end in a top hat Stern Dad makes me appreciate what they do with his character later on so much more.

Yeah, it’s like a scene out of American Beauty. Seeing such a spiritual character be so violent is quite jarring. The show kind of transforms his character after a few episodes, and it's really for the best. At least he is absurdly eloquent from the get go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah the Major Briggs scene always feels so off to me, first time I watched I just assumed he was going to be the standard hard-rear end military dad. Was so glad they went to a phenomenally more interesting place with him.

I had forgotten that Hawk is the first person to spot Mike, it's nice that it isn't just Coop and Harry going around bumping into every major character to introduce them, the entire town was affected and the weirdness permeates the entire town as a result.

The Leo stuff feels particularly clumsy nowadays, especially all the obvious signs trying to point to him as Laura's killer. I imagine even back on original airing it was obviously a red herring, the idea they'd show the actual killer so early seems really silly.

Edit: Also, I love how goofy James and Donna are at dinner with her parents, even if it is kinda weird that they'd be doing this so soon after Laura's body was found.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 2, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

Yeah, it’s like a scene out of American Beauty. Seeing such a spiritual character be so violent is quite jarring. The show kind of transforms his character after a few episodes, and it's really for the best. At least he is absurdly eloquent from the get go.

They mention on the commentary tracks that the original plan was for Briggs to be a generic conservative hardass, but Don S. Davis insisted on making him a wise spiritual character, and they just went with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One minor casting niggle is that I sure don't buy Josie Packard being so supposedly bad at English that she needed tutoring from a high school student.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

One minor casting niggle is that I sure don't buy Josie Packard being so supposedly bad at English that she needed tutoring from a high school student.

Iirc in one of Mark Frost’s TP books he reveals that Josie supposedly is the child of a Chinese mob overlord and is incredibly cunning and plotting. She has to flee to America after killing her own father in an attempt to take over the leadership of the mob and is thus manipulating pretty much everyone around her in TP.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Josie is my least favorite twin peaks character of all

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SimonChris posted:

They mention on the commentary tracks that the original plan was for Briggs to be a generic conservative hardass, but Don S. Davis insisted on making him a wise spiritual character, and they just went with it.

Don S. Davis was a wise spiritual man, and it's good they listened to him. :allears:

Star posted:

Iirc in one of Mark Frost’s TP books he reveals that Josie supposedly is the child of a Chinese mob overlord and is incredibly cunning and plotting. She has to flee to America after killing her own father in an attempt to take over the leadership of the mob and is thus manipulating pretty much everyone around her in TP.

What the hell? That's absurd. She told Harry, Eckhardt took her off the streets when she was 16. Imo, that's canon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Scones are Good posted:

That early scene of Major Briggs being kind of just a standard rear end in a top hat Stern Dad makes me appreciate what they do with his character later on so much more.

I agree with this, but at the same time I kind of love how we're seeing him through Bobby's lens. Think of all the poo poo he's got on his plate, what with the death of his girlfriend, his other girlfriend being married to a scary trucker who you happen to owe $10k for drugs, and trying to plan the death of a certain biker. Of course his dad's going to seem like an rear end in a top hat and his mom is going to seem clueless... Do we think he pulled out the cigarette for parental reaction or did he legit just forget?

At least two suspects put out for us– Leo and the final reveal that Jacoby has the other half of the necklace. And what's the deal with this Jacque Renault fellow? And who's the one-armed man, we've now seen him twice. It's interesting he was in the pilot but almost seemed to be invisible then.

I don't know if I have to spoil this but love that Sarah sees Bob and screams "Leland" and Leland's right there. KIller revealed

Catherine and Ben... They seem so bored with each other but kind of stuck with each other since their home lives suck so much and they've got this shady business going on.

I can't remember exactly what we see in the next couple of episodes, but I'm still loving the Donna and James show at this point. "Fruit Punch". Where the gently caress is Harriet? I feel like she'd be inserting herself into the James/Donna dynamic if only to be an annoying little sister, if not to see if James was another bonehead boyfriend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I agree with this, but at the same time I kind of love how we're seeing him through Bobby's lens. Think of all the poo poo he's got on his plate, what with the death of his girlfriend, his other girlfriend being married to a scary trucker who you happen to owe $10k for drugs, and trying to plan the death of a certain biker. Of course his dad's going to seem like an rear end in a top hat and his mom is going to seem clueless... Do we think he pulled out the cigarette for parental reaction or did he legit just forget?

At least two suspects put out for us– Leo and the final reveal that Jacoby has the other half of the necklace. And what's the deal with this Jacque Renault fellow? And who's the one-armed man, we've now seen him twice. It's interesting he was in the pilot but almost seemed to be invisible then.

I don't know if I have to spoil this but love that Sarah sees Bob and screams "Leland" and Leland's right there. KIller revealed

Catherine and Ben... They seem so bored with each other but kind of stuck with each other since their home lives suck so much and they've got this shady business going on.

I can't remember exactly what we see in the next couple of episodes, but I'm still loving the Donna and James show at this point. "Fruit Punch". Where the gently caress is Harriet? I feel like she'd be inserting herself into the James/Donna dynamic if only to be an annoying little sister, if not to see if James was another bonehead boyfriend.

I think she’s out of the show now, like Audrey’s brother will be after next episode (at least until season 3).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah i need to get in on this rewatch, been thinking about the show alot lately. don't think i can watch it when you guys do tho (4am gmt... uhhh...) so i might do it monday nights, thats when i used to get chance to watch s3 when it aired (after i bought a weekly cherry pie and ate it with coffee, goddamn what a time). glad i checked the thread early, only two to catch up on.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 1, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
*cue Sarah Palmer screaming in episode 1*
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...=20170915182606

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Log Lady clowning on Agent Cooper ruled.

"My log saw something that night."
"What did it see?"
"Why don't you ask it yourself?"
"...."
"That's what I thought :nyd:"

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
And here I was sad about missing out on the old cool Blu-ray set, now they're dropping an even more complete set in December, preordered.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

And More posted:

Don S. Davis was a wise spiritual man, and it's good they listened to him. :allears:

What the hell? That's absurd. She told Harry, Eckhardt took her off the streets when she was 16. Imo, that's canon.

Yeah, for me that alternative background removes a lot of what makes Josie’s character arc interesting and enjoyable.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

On rewatch I was blown away by how much of the coo show procedural I forgot. The whole clue trail leading them to the cabin and the one eyed Jack's coin all felt new. Definitely the less interesting parts of the show.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eSporks posted:

On rewatch I was blown away by how much of the coo show procedural I forgot. The whole clue trail leading them to the cabin and the one eyed Jack's coin all felt new. Definitely the less interesting parts of the show.

on the other hand all the cop rituals that Coop perform are some of the best parts

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The Walrus posted:

on the other hand all the cop rituals that Coop perform are some of the best parts
FK... In. The coffee.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
How did the fish get in the percolator? I'm thinking Catherine put it in there because she's the worst.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The best line in the show.

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think she’s out of the show now, like Audrey’s brother will be after next episode (at least until season 3).

Both Harriet Hayward and Johnny Horne will be seen again in season 2 or sooner. Harriet is not in season 3, Gersten Hayward is.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

How did the fish get in the percolator? I'm thinking Catherine put it in there because she's the worst.

Definitely my theory, and fits with Pete using her bed to treat his boots with mink oil in an upcoming episode. She seems ready to ruin any fun Pete is having, especially after he sided with Josie at the mill . I've also seen the suggestion that Josie did it to try to keep Coop away as much as possible so he didn't snoop into her background.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It definitely feels more like Catherine, but the Josie possibility could also make sense

Or maybe Pete wasn't paying attention and did it himself somehow

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

eSporks posted:

FK... In. The coffee.

Those pickles you like are coming back into style.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
It is happening again.

Is it an exclusive for Switch? I am glad I got it :smugdog:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New version of the first one is £25. I’ma need to find out if you can move and aim at the same time before I drop any cash on that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress :stare:

I own the first one but I ran into what apparently wasn't a particularly rare bug where it you can play it for awhile, save and exit and then when you load it up the game just... doesn't work anymore. :sigh:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

:aaaaa: This is the best news.

Ooooh boy. :allears:

AstroWhale posted:

It is happening again.

Is it an exclusive for Switch? I am glad I got it :smugdog:

Yeah, looks like it. By the way, The Missing is probably Swery's best game, and it's on Switch as well. Genuinely a really emotional trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AzAwjHi0Ic&t=502s
(The trailers are quite bad, so here's an LP)

Jerusalem posted:

Oh gently caress :stare:

I own the first one but I ran into what apparently wasn't a particularly rare bug where it you can play it for awhile, save and exit and then when you load it up the game just... doesn't work anymore. :sigh:

All versions of DP are extremely janky with the PC version being the most unplayable one. Maybe they fixed it for the Switch release. I kinda doubt it, though. Imo, get the 360 version, if you can.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 5, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah. ^ SFG stopped his new LP of DP, because of that bug. I hope it is gone from the Switch version. The port is not soo great, to put it mildly, and knowing the company, it is unlikely they put some effort into the remaster.

And yes, watch that Missing LP or play it. There are some TP references in it, but not much.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Swery actually left Access games, the company that originally released DP and its director's cut. This is an entirely new publisher. It's clearly not been overhauled from the ground up, though.

edit: Yeah, looks like this is not the Director's Cut. No DLC and no additional (aka pointless) cutscenes. It has a bunch of unique problems, though. The framerate is all over the place and the audio starts cutting out after half an hour of play. At least the controls are better/configurable. Maybe wait for a patch? :shrug:

And More fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 5, 2019

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm super excited to see if DP2 will echo season 3 at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

And More posted:

Swery actually left Access games, the company that originally released DP and its director's cut. This is an entirely new publisher. It's clearly not been overhauled from the ground up, though.

edit: Yeah, looks like this is not the Director's Cut. No DLC and no additional (aka pointless) cutscenes. It has a bunch of unique problems, though. The framerate is all over the place and the audio starts cutting out after half an hour of play. At least the controls are better/configurable. Maybe wait for a patch? :shrug:

I really hope they make it playable. I still reminisce fondly on the first playthrough I did of deadly premonition.