Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dishwasher posted:

My source on this mentioned a fight, so I believe that we may be getting Leia and Luke in a lightsaber duel toward the beginning of the film.

We're going to find out that Leia started getting fencing lessons at age three, because princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dark Rey is obviously a vision but I’ve tried and tried to come up with a way that it isn’t and doesn’t suck and all I got is that she was a Knight of Ren and has no memory of it for reasons.

Those spoilers are going to be as real as the GoT ones posted months before the finale that everyone desperately wanted to be false but were spot on.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the disappointing thing if it's a vision is that they already remade the Luke-in-the-cave scene in The Last Jedi in an interesting way. Redoing it is repetitive, but beyond that, going to the dark side really doesn't resonate as a fear or tension with Rey.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the disappointing thing if it's a vision is that they already remade the Luke-in-the-cave scene in The Last Jedi in an interesting way. Redoing it is repetitive, but beyond that, going to the dark side really doesn't resonate as a fear or tension with Rey.

Citation needed

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

Citation needed
The cave scene in The Last Jedi is dope. It's taking Yoda's comments about the path to the Dark Side from The Phantom Menace and Luke's vision from Empire and making them very literal. Yoda basically claims that the path to the Dark Side starts with you becoming trapped in your own head (Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate...). We see that in Luke's fears of turning to the dark side being thrown back into his face with his Vader vision. The Last Jedi creates a physical representation of this as the Dark Side just being a person echoed and reflected in on themselves eternally.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’ll work if it’s a Kylo vision since they’re gonna tease a face/heel double turn most of the movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Rey's lame cave vision was baby's first "Two mirrors put in front of each other" visual. She learned neither anything about herself nor changed anything about herself.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Luke’s vision is creepy and shows inner darkness, fear and murder
the tlj vision was just white noise. what did it say

Like samwise gamgee; rei is so pedestrian and bland that dark forces hold no power over her

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Rey's lame cave vision was baby's first "Two ytr3 q mirrors put in front of each other" visual. She learned neither anything about herself nor changed anything about herself.
I think it says a lot.

It reflects on the ultimate emptiness of the Dark Side. The Dark Side has nothing to offer you. There is no insight or greater power beyond the material world. It's only your own fear and anger in a literal echo chamber.

But it is also showing us what Rey's actual fear and weakness is: Being alone. It's what makes her vulnerable to Kylo in the film. She is someone who had no parents, found friends only to have to leave most of them, and left them to find the man who she thought could lead her to her place in the universe had become bitter and uninterested. She is tantalized at the end of the seemingly infinite Reys by the image of what might be her parents only to find just herself.

This ends up mirroring what Kylo thinks is the sort of killing blow to her sense of self: That her parents were nothing, just a bunch of jerks, but she doesn't have to be alone with him. The ending for the film is her find empowerment in all of this. She doesn't need Luke or her parents or Kylo. She'll define herself and she'll define what it means to be a Jedi.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 1, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

weekly font posted:

It’ll work if it’s a Kylo vision since they’re gonna tease a face/heel double turn most of the movie.

"Force, show me the future."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it says a lot.

It reflects on the ultimate emptiness of the Dark Side. The Dark Side has nothing to offer you. There is no insight or greater power beyond the material world. It's only your own fear and anger in a literal echo chamber.

But it is also showing us what Rey's actual fear and weakness is: Being alone. It's what makes her vulnerable to Kylo in the film. She is someone who had no parents, found friends only to have to leave most of them, and left them to find the man who she thought could lead her to her place in the universe had become bitter and uninterested. She is tantalized at the end of the seemingly infinite Reys by the image of what might be her parents only to find just herself.

This ends up mirroring what Kylo thinks is the sort of killing blow to her sense of self: That her parents were nothing, just a bunch of jerks, but she doesn't have to be alone with him. The ending for the film is her find empowerment in all of this. She doesn't need Luke or her parents or Kylo. She'll define herself and she'll define what it means to be a Jedi.

that would be a neat idea but you've read into it a lot more than the film has, as it did nothing with it and did not explore it in any way

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Last Jedi has enough moments of characters saying out loud what the point of the scene is that i think you should probably be able to handle the film letting just one of its scenes speak for itself

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

what did the scene say apart from illustrating the total lack of imagination of rey, the character?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

the quoted post right above offers an interpretation. do you agree with it? why/why not? how would you interpret the scene instead? what leads you to that conclusion?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rey’s “version” of the dark side is solipsistic- the cave is telling her “you have no blood tie to anyone in this universe, therefore you are the beginning and the end; you are all that matters and all that exists”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

that would be a neat idea but you've read into it a lot more than the film has, as it did nothing with it and did not explore it in any way
I'm not really reading into things that deeply.

Empire has Yoda almost literally giving my reading...

Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you.

And it foreshadowing Rey's fear of being alone is hard to even call a reading. It's her going on an endless search and almost seeing what looks like her parents and then just seeing herself.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Problem 1: The scene isn’t remotely scary, even in a theoretical sense.

Problem 2: Your interpretation is based exclusively on like the first minute of the scene.

The cave scene actually shows Rey learning to predict the future with the snap echo thing. She literally envisions herself as one of her projections - all extending forwards into infinity.

If anything, the fading of the two shadows represents the elimination of her parents as obstacles.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Problem 1: The scene isn’t remotely scary, even in a theoretical sense.

Problem 2: Your interpretation is based exclusively on like the first minute of the scene.

The cave scene actually shows Rey learning to predict the future with the snap echo thing. She literally envisions herself as one of her projections - all extending forwards into infinity.

If anything, the fading of the two shadows represents the elimination of her parents as obstacles.
1) I think in isolation, it's a pretty spooky scene. It first looks like a reflection, but is more of a visualization of an echo. On its face it looks like a mirror in a mirror, but then you realize the Reys are not in sync and not actually reflecting each other. Like the dropped frames in Luke's cave fight, it gets some mileage out of just being slightly off. Then there is also the changing points of view of the different Reys, becoming lost in herself, ultimately looping back to the original Rey.

2) naaah

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogus Adventure posted:

Definitely ballsack makeup. Let's just Society the gently caress out of the transformation.

The Shunt is strong with this one.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the heart of the thing is, the ESB scene is compelling as gently caress and the TLJ one isn’t. i’ve seen a ton of person stands in front of a bunch of mirrors and it represents mumble mumble something about emptiness and who they are mumble. Zardoz did that poo poo.

in ESB you have no idea what’s going on with that cave, Yoda is cryptic as hell about it, you don’t know what to expect. then Vader shows up seemingly in the flesh and Luke cuts his head off and his helmet blows up and you’re confronted with a dead eyed Luke head inside staring at both Luke and you the viewer. it’s as clear an elemental metaphor as you can get while being visceral and visually striking.

my evidence of this is that ESB scene has stuck with me my whole life and I literally forgot about the scene in TLJ until these posts

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least it led to dozens of Rey cosplayers to stand in lines and snap their fingers

Which isn't nearly as cool as the Willrow Hood Run

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vinylshadow posted:

At least it led to dozens of Rey cosplayers to stand in lines and snap their fingers

Which isn't nearly as cool as the Willrow Hood Run

Wilrow Hood made that run in less than 12 parsecs, too

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mandrel posted:

the heart of the thing is, the ESB scene is compelling as gently caress and the TLJ one isn’t. i’ve seen a ton of person stands in front of a bunch of mirrors and it represents mumble mumble something about emptiness and who they are mumble. Zardoz did that poo poo.

in ESB you have no idea what’s going on with that cave, Yoda is cryptic as hell about it, you don’t know what to expect. then Vader shows up seemingly in the flesh and Luke cuts his head off and his helmet blows up and you’re confronted with a dead eyed Luke head inside staring at both Luke and you the viewer. it’s as clear an elemental metaphor as you can get while being visceral and visually striking.

my evidence of this is that ESB scene has stuck with me my whole life and I literally forgot about the scene in TLJ until these posts
For what it's worth, I don't want to invalidate something not sticking with you. Like it's fine to just say something didn't resonate.

I actually like Rey as a character, but I get why a lot of the sequel cast doesn't really resonate with people in general. It's a cast of people who are individually pretty good characters or well at least played by good actors, but don't necessarily connect the way the original cast did. And I reckon that the lack of investment in the scene has more to do with just not being as clearly invested with the characters. I get why Luke's fear and anger regarding Vader feels much clearer than Rey's pretty wishy washy motivations.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

I get why Luke's fear and anger regarding Vader feels much clearer than Rey's pretty wishy washy motivations.

The issue is that you’re going more off of the exposition about a different phenomenon from an entirely different film to understand this one.

In Ep. 5, Luke is strongly implied to be drugged and then sent by Yoda into an empty, filthy ruin to have a freak-out.

In Ep. 8, Rey just jumps in a hole and starts goofing around with the giant crystal she finds there. Also, this is contextualized by her beating up Luke, stealing his books, deciding to help Darth Vader’s grandson, choosing to embrace pure power, etc.

Rey specifically jumps in the hole because:

“Your parents threw you away like garbage ... but you can't stop needing them. It is your greatest weakness. You're looking for them everywhere... now in Skywalker. He sensed my power, as he senses yours. And he feared it.”

And then:

“I should have felt trapped or frightened, but no. It didn't go on forever, I knew it was leading somewhere.”

The ‘should’ is what Luke told her. The cave experience leads Rey to believe that Luke is holding her back, and that she has a destiny to surpass him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m on board with the TLJ stuff but Strongly? I’ve never thought Luke was drugged. Where does that come from?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

Strongly? I’ve never thought Luke was drugged. Where does that come from?

Mainly from the fact that he starts tripping balls after the weird little swamp shaman feeds him some bad-tasting mushroom(?) soup.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
The ST writing is pure poo poo. The OT is also trash, but it was okay for the time. Standards have increased but the quality of Star Wars hasn’t and that makes me sad.

Hoping the Mandingo DeLorean is good.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jango Fett time-travels in his mangodelorean to mess about in the future after his death

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

High Lord Elbow posted:

The ST writing is pure poo poo. The OT is also trash, but it was okay for the time. Standards have increased but the quality of Star Wars hasn’t and that makes me sad.

You feel that the quality of film writing has”increased” over time?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DeimosRising posted:

Look, we all know that Jaws was the first well-written film.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The issue is that you’re going more off of the exposition about a different phenomenon from an entirely different film to understand this one.
You're right. They are in the official canon two completely different magical evil caves.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Timeless Appeal posted:

You're right. They are in the official canon two completely different magical evil caves.

All Evil Dark Side Caves are linked to one another via Space Whale Hyperspace WIFI

The extended cut of Rey's vision shows her stumbling over Darth Luke's severed head but they cut it along with Luke's third lesson rather than omitting Finn, Rose, and Canto Bight entirely

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Timeless Appeal posted:

you know, the claim that ahch-to and dagobah are the same planet is much more fun than the claim that tattooine and jakku are the same one

rising sea levels really did a number on yoda's old place, huh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ungulateman posted:

you know, the claim that ahch-to and dagobah are the same planet is much more fun than the claim that tattooine and jakku are the same one

rising sea levels really did a number on yoda's old place, huh

The cut from Yoda laughing to the Jedi temple being on fire is like the single weirdest edit in all of Star Wars, like I thought the movie skipped a minute or something when I first saw it.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

DeimosRising posted:

No, but there wasn’t a venue for viewers to dissect every scene and hold it up for ridicule.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes. And they are also narratively different.

Maz’ basement is a more explicit reference, yet is also different.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mandrel posted:

Terry Pratchett had the best mirror scene anyway,

quote:

Granny Weatherwax looked out at the multi-layered, silvery world.
“Where am I?”
INSIDE THE MIRROR.
“Am I dead?”
THE ANSWER TO THAT, said Death, IS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN NO AND YES.
Esme turned, and a billion figures turned with her.
“When can I get out?”
WHEN YOU FIND THE ONE THAT’S REAL.
“Is this a trick question?”
NO.
Granny looked down at herself.
“This one,” she said.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yes. And they are also narratively different.
What does narratively different mean?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 3, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

What does narratively different mean?

That they are different in the narrative(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

High Lord Elbow posted:

I think this is the main issue. This isn't Shakespeare. The writing and plot is about the same in the ST as it is in the PT and OT. People wanted something comparable to some of the best stories being created today. Instead, people just got more Star Wars.