Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Epicurius posted:

Just a random observation from playing the game, but am I the only one who thinks "an asteroid is going to crash into the world you have an observation post on" isn't a big deal anymore? Now that you have to put an outpost in every system you're in, and it's got missiles, it pretty routinely shoots down the asteroid before I can get ships there.

That is sort of how I did it: I upgraded the station temporarily, let it shoot it down, then dismantle it back into a regular station. If you don't even have to upgrade it to have it shot down then yeah it should probably be tweaked a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've been playing in a weekly multiplayer game recently.

I missed a session and the AI took control of my empire for a couple of hours.

When I came back I had 160 transport ships in a dozen separate armies, and every army had its own general.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Entorwellian posted:

That is sort of how I did it: I upgraded the station temporarily, let it shoot it down, then dismantle it back into a regular station. If you don't even have to upgrade it to have it shot down then yeah it should probably be tweaked a bit.

You can build up to 3 defense modules on non-upgraded outposts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have a dumb question with an obvious answer but I just want to be certain: Devouring Swarm + Nihilistic Acquisition. This will let me abduct pops to be devoured right? That way I don't need to invade some 20% habitability dump world and wind up with another colony, yes?

You can abduct all but one pop. In my DS run though I regretted using one of my perks for NA, I would just invade then resettle everyone or turn off drone production and let a single hive mind pop eat the other locals.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I've been considering playing a Machine Empire without any specific role(ie. Assimilator, Exterminator or Servitor). The idea being that they're focused on being able to exist isolated from the rest of the galaxy and just want to be left alone. Are there any specific downsides I should know about?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Baron von der Loon posted:

I've been considering playing a Machine Empire without any specific role(ie. Assimilator, Exterminator or Servitor). The idea being that they're focused on being able to exist isolated from the rest of the galaxy and just want to be left alone. Are there any specific downsides I should know about?

Regular robots are worse than the other Machine Empires, but still better than regular Empires, barring a few outliers. Playing tall isn't particularly efficient, but you can do it, just make sure the people bordering you don't hate your guts if you want to be left alone(Spiritualists and biological Exterminators).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

I've been playing in a weekly multiplayer game recently.

I missed a session and the AI took control of my empire for a couple of hours.

When I came back I had 160 transport ships in a dozen separate armies, and every army had its own general.

The AI loving loves transport ships now. My last game I had a federation where the United Nations of Earth's fleet was probably 80% transport ships.
They landed all of them on The Core and managed to win, so the volume must have been insane.

It's weird to me that as a Machine Empire I'm fine and people are good friends with me right off the bat but if I'm a biohive EVERYONE hates me straight away with a huge malus. I don't get why that's a thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

just make sure the people bordering you don't hate your guts if you want to be left alone(Spiritualists and biological Exterminators).
Um, make sure... not to spawn next to them?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

Um, make sure... not to spawn next to them?

Yupp. If you want to play a peaceful durdle game in your corner of the galaxy, rerolling until you don't start next to empires who want to murder you for existing tends to be step 1.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I take it I'd get the same advice?

I rolled a hive mind devouring spawn and found myself wedged in between two factions who allied with one another pretty much immediately (and shortly after the rest of the freakin cosmos) so I'll be fighting a war on both sides when it all kicks off with a fleet that is huge, but kinda underpowered right now.

Does a defensive pact count if one of them starts on me? Could I goad the weaker of the two into initiating and then eat them all? :kheldragar:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Probably not easily. The whole 'gonna eat you' things is -1000 relations so anything you do to goad them will be minor in comparison.

Defensive pacts only get called for wars declared on you so you could do the old pacifist trick of refitting your ships to remove all the guns and the AI will go gently caress yea time to roll some bugs, declare war and then you refit your guns back on and smash them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Saros posted:

Probably not easily. The whole 'gonna eat you' things is -1000 relations so anything you do to goad them will be minor in comparison.

Defensive pacts only get called for wars declared on you so you could do the old pacifist trick of refitting your ships to remove all the guns and the AI will go gently caress yea time to roll some bugs, declare war and then you refit your guns back on and smash them.

Now I want to run a gimmicky, defensive wars only Devouring Swarm game where all the AIs are custom empires named after restaurants or delivery services.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have a dumb question with an obvious answer but I just want to be certain: Devouring Swarm + Nihilistic Acquisition. This will let me abduct pops to be devoured right? That way I don't need to invade some 20% habitability dump world and wind up with another colony, yes?

Just invade the planets and then resettle all the pops off to a Fortress world with the Martial Law decision enabled. You get resources for far longer, at the cost of a lot of clicking.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Saros posted:

How delightfully deceptive. Might give that a go tonight. I'm probably knackered otherwise.

And yeah, forgot that everyone hates me anyway. Haha.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Shumagorath posted:

One change I'd like to see would be the ability to join wars already in progress. If I see an ally getting bullied but I'm not in a federation with them I want the choice to get off the bench.

For real, this feels like basic functionality for a game like this and it's very weird that Stellaris doesn't have it yet. A lot of the stuff about how wars are structured, including the arbitrary two year forced white peace thing, feel really game-y.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

For real, this feels like basic functionality for a game like this and it's very weird that Stellaris doesn't have it yet. A lot of the stuff about how wars are structured, including the arbitrary two year forced white peace thing, feel really game-y.
I think they could do a lot more with ad-hoc influence costs. You can have a defensive pact for 0.5 a month, or your can drive right into a war for 100 base up front. Declare war during the 10 year enforced peace period for 5 to 10 influence per remaining month. Spend unity to extend your 2 year forced acceptance or influence to reduce your opponent's

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Doctor Zero posted:

You can build up to 3 defense modules on non-upgraded outposts.

Even non-upgraded outposts without defensive modules get nuclear missiles. They're not powerful enough to fend off an actual fleet, or even a single corvette, but against an object that moves slowly in a set direction and doesn't have any weapons...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Epicurius posted:

Even non-upgraded outposts without defensive modules get nuclear missiles. They're not powerful enough to fend off an actual fleet, or even a single corvette, but against an object that moves slowly in a set direction and doesn't have any weapons...

Yeah I know. just saying it would be easier to do that then build the outpost up then tear it down again.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given how slowly fleets putter towards the system the outpost is often the only thing saving the colony. If they up the health they should increase the time limit a lot too. :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

Given how slowly fleets putter towards the system the outpost is often the only thing saving the colony. If they up the health they should increase the time limit a lot too. :(
They already increased the time limit when they made fleets slower.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They already increased the time limit when they made fleets slower.
Ah, cool. Shows what I know. :downs:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where the gently caress is the star wars mod

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

where the gently caress is the star wars mod

somewhere in development hell in the Star Trek New Horizons discord

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yes but the easier way is to just invade a place and smash the resettle button to move everyone back to your hell planet. Once you zero the pop the colony is deleted.

This also doesn't cost an ascension perk. Nihilistic Acquisition is more for non-bad boy nations to steal pops without ever having to claim anything or "win" a war.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
...and even then I felt like it was a waste when I figured out I could get psychic pops from the caravans.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So I'm picking this game up again since 2.2.5 and I have so many questions. Machine Empires and Ecumenopoli got nerfed, are they still worthwhile? Do strike craft still suck? Are Habitats good now?

Also, the new story pack seems cool.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I conquered 3 systems with my devouring swarm but didn't know to place a native pop on the planets because I thought I had to just colonise them after my armies had finished eating the survivors. And as soon as they did the enemies influence popped back into place and swallowed the now empty planets bouncing me back to square one. Hahaha. Oops.

I still wish there was some way to win systems over through culture like in Civ though. Feels like pacifists are always on the back foot.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
So I read that the ai doesn't terraform planets anymore? Seems like it would ruin whatever lategame potential for challenge there is on top on the ai's other weaknesses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Automated Posting posted:

So I'm picking this game up again since 2.2.5 and I have so many questions. Machine Empires and Ecumenopoli got nerfed, are they still worthwhile? Do strike craft still suck? Are Habitats good now?
Yes to MEs and Ecus
No to Strike Craft; they are good and do a good amount of damage, but this damage is dealt via lots of small bits, which often allows bigger ships to Emergency FTL away.
Maybe to Habitats; they are expensive and take a while to build and once they are built they only come with 1 ruler job, so you need to build a district to employ anyone OR import 4 (3 with Expansion Unity tree) more pops to open up a building slot to employ more people without needing to build a district.

Drunken Baker posted:

I conquered 3 systems with my devouring swarm but didn't know to place a native pop on the planets because I thought I had to just colonise them after my armies had finished eating the survivors. And as soon as they did the enemies influence popped back into place and swallowed the now empty planets bouncing me back to square one. Hahaha. Oops.
Are you playing modded? Because thats not how the game works; either you own the system or you do not. This is dictated by having a station there; a planet being colonized or not does not affect who owns it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you playing modded? Because thats not how the game works; either you own the system or you do not. This is dictated by having a station there; a planet being colonized or not does not affect who owns it.
DB is playing console with the old spheres of influence setup which, I'll be honest, I kind of miss sometimes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

DB is playing console with the old spheres of influence setup which, I'll be honest, I kind of miss sometimes.
Ahhhh derp, I should have remembered, thank you for correcting me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I do wish they'd either make strike craft efficient in combat OR bring the piracy-suppression strength of starbase missile bays and gun modules up to match them so I can cut them out of my game entirely.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Automated Posting posted:

Also, the new story pack seems cool.

An admittedly :goonsay: digression, but the plural is ecumenopoleis. The more you know and all that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gort posted:

I do wish they'd either make strike craft efficient in combat OR bring the piracy-suppression strength of starbase missile bays and gun modules up to match them so I can cut them out of my game entirely.

Or make strike craft good for anti piracy suppression so you eventually upgrade your unarmed corvettes to cruisers that only have 1 hangar on them or something.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gort posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1586735803

No piracy forever, because micromanaging trade routes sucks rear end.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I feel like an easy fix for piracy stuff would just be to have the piracy suppression of starbase modules scale up with the relevant technology. So missile defense modules would maybe get 10/15/20/25/30 trade protection for each tier of missile tech you unlock, rather than simply a flat +10 forever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like an easy fix for piracy stuff would just be to have the piracy suppression of starbase modules scale up with the relevant technology. So missile defense modules would maybe get 10/15/20/25/30 trade protection for each tier of missile tech you unlock, rather than simply a flat +10 forever.
Almost anything would be better than the current system and this is a great suggestion. I'm tired of building a starbase snake to avoid dealing with pirates in the most efficient way possible.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Maybe it’s just the ethics I’ve been playing, but my piracy mitigation strategy has never required more than a single patrol fleet and some hangars here and there. I’ve had pirates spawn like twice?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lazyhound posted:

Maybe it’s just the ethics I’ve been playing, but my piracy mitigation strategy has never required more than a single patrol fleet and some hangars here and there. I’ve had pirates spawn like twice?

The problem for me is that piracy is based on profitability. Good. It goes up as you improve it. Good. Your anti-piracy options are based, essentially, on your starting tech and the only way to scale it up is to build patrol fleets. Not good. Managing the patrollers is a nightmare. Horrible.

Really it’s a great idea that falls down in execution. It’s neat to think of the pirates coming out of the asteroid belt and preying on transports the second your fleet jumps to the next system, but it’s horribly fiddly. It should probably be abstracted a little. Or a lot.

In addition to being able to research and build more robust anti-piracy measures, the fleet piracy suppression should be bumped and given a range so I don’t have to have a fleet of 30 goddamn corvettes every 3 systems to keep it under control. Also some kind of auto patrol like the autosurvey for science ships would be ducking amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You should really never, ever be using fleets for piracy suppression. It's a waste of fleet, and vastly easier to deal with through starbases.