Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm starting to think you just struggle with the definition of the word "add". How is MFA relevant to the conversation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just a question from ignorance, but is a secret pattern not a password? or is that too reductive?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

I'm starting to think you just struggle with the definition of the word "add". How is MFA relevant to the conversation?

How does it not? If we're going to second guess industry standards, then we might as well quit the field because apparently all the other Infosec groups thinks defense in depth and things like MFA are adding security.

infernal machines posted:

just a question from ignorance, but is a secret pattern not a password? or is that too reductive?

Yes. But given that all it gains you in my admittedly overly complex schemes is an exposed port, and it rotates, it largely just because one day I wanted to play with port knocking without risking it as a single authentication method.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 3, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

How does it not? If we're going to second guess industry standards, then we might as well quit the field because apparently all the other Infosec groups thinks defense in depth and things like MFA are adding security.
MFA is great compared to just using a password because you're adding challenge/response authentication with a strong shared secret or public key authentication. There's much less point to tacking it on when you're already using public key authentication.

If you absolutely need MFA type protection for ssh based on your threat model, you can just have your private key in a smartcard or whatever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No serious infosec person thinks my rosary-based scheme adds any security, and similarly no serious infosec person thinks your port knock scheme adds any security.

The nature of addition is such that it doesn't matter what other schemes you have behind your port knock - they're not relevant to a discussion of whether your port knock scheme adds any extra security.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

CommieGIR posted:

I'll gladly go back to lurking, sorry thread.

Thanks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

No serious infosec person thinks my rosary-based scheme adds any security, and similarly no serious infosec person thinks your port knock scheme adds any security.

The nature of addition is such that it doesn't matter what other schemes you have behind your port knock - they're not relevant to a discussion of whether your port knock scheme adds any extra security.

I'm not a serious infosec person then. See yah.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

last of these for tonight I promise.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm not a serious infosec person then. See yah.

this can be an actual educational discussion if you and Jabor break down your arguments in more detail, instead of you bailing!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Beamed posted:

this can be an actual educational discussion if you and Jabor break down your arguments in more detail, instead of you bailing!

Id love to. But frankly, given that it turned into ad homs about by profession, and then comparing actual auth methods to prayers, I dont really see much point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I apologize if I've been a bit antagonistic - from my perspective, I've asked you to explain why you think port knocking is useful, and you've largely ignored that and reacted as if I've been criticising the entire concept of authentication.

Why do you think port knocking is helpful and adding security, as compared to a hypothetical system that's exactly what you have now, but without the port knocking?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

I apologize if I've been a bit antagonistic - from my perspective, I've asked you to explain why you think port knocking is useful, and you've largely ignored that and reacted as if I've been criticising the entire concept of authentication.

Why do you think port knocking is helpful and adding security, as compared to a hypothetical system that's exactly what you have now, but without the port knocking?

Having a port only open when it's in use helps protects against a theoretical unpatched sshd preauth RCE I guess.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

Somebody better tell Moxie this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Because exposing SSH is generally frowned upon. Most companies will look at you funny if you ask the Networking team to expose an SSH port publicly, security of RSA or not.

I try to eat the dogfood I sell my clients, which is do not expose SSH if at all possibly, if you need SSH, require a jumpbox/VDI or VPN.

I only use my SSH if the VPN has failed, or my hypervisor has alerted me of a heartbeat failure, usually because we had a power failure for more than an hour. So I'm only opening SSH externally in emergencies. I try to keep a clean public port/firewall profile as well, so no extranious ports open. Even the ports I knock are closed.

Hell, I disabled root accounts on all my lab boxes and personal machines to try to do better housekeeping internally, and re-enabled SELinux to get used to it.

I never suggest port knocking to my clients, its a kludge just for me because I dont have any out of band access. I liked how it worked, so I kept it.

Google MFA is just turned on by default on my internal LDAP, so any *nix devices I have use it, so even with a public key it'll challenge you.

I also partially did it because I had a malware I was analyzing in Cuckoo try to break out of the VM, so I got a little paranoid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Can you be more specific than "generally frowned upon"? I get that that's probably sufficient for your clients (since you're the professional and they don't really need to understand it beyond implementing your recommendations), but this discussion is for the benefit of people who really do want to understand why something isn't good.

Or is it just because clients tend to have IT guys who think it's bad without any real reason behind it, and you just have to play along?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think its usually because they are the sort who have not disabled the root ssh access for....reasons. Usually when I ask why I get a runaround. Even better when the root password is dictionary, they dont have logging audited, and its bruteforce friendly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So it's not bad if done right, it's just often done badly? And so people would rather not do it at all since that's easier to enforce than saying "don't do it badly"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
There's always more lurking in most enterprise infrastructure. Especially since most dont operate clean environments, and often have mixed bags of kernels, patches, and questionable dev/test environments on flat unsegmented networks.

So yeah, its usually because cleaning the environment will take more than just warning them not to expose SSH. Suggesting Re-architecting the network usually gets laughs

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 3, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Look, port knocking is dumb because if I'm on the same network as you, which can easily happen if say we're at the same Starbucks and I arp spoof the gateway, or I'm on your router because Comcast or whoever has lovely cheap vulnerable crap, or I'm a nation state tapping your poo poo, or I'm at any of the networks in between you and the server, or for any myriad of reasons, then the port knocking sequence is no longer a secret.

You have to expect the network between you and your server to be compromised somehow at some point in between. That's precisely why we even use authentication and encryption. Might as well use telnet otherwise.

So, that's why, your port knocking doesn't add anything on top of the security you already have which is encryption, public key authentication and MFA with Google authenticator.

You kept going on about how your poo poo is secure because defense in depth and etc, but really it doesn't add anything.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Also if you genuinely don't understand how a port knocking sequence is a de facto password sent in the clear over the network, you don't have a clear enough mental model to be making decisions about security imo

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

Also if you genuinely don't understand how a port knocking sequence is a de facto password sent in the clear over the network, you don't have a clear enough mental model to be making decisions about security imo

that’s a bit harsh I’ve seen dumber people making decisions that actively harm their efforts to secure the thing they want or just completely break the usability. whereas port knocking is in the realm of a security through obscurity doesn’t hurt, just don’t make it your only means of protection.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I stand by what I wrote. Port knocking belongs in the dustbin of the early 2000s and it's a bit of a 'tell' when someone recommends it.

The scenarios where it confers an actual benefit are pretty contrived, and all require that something else isn't being done properly.

Out of curiosity CommieGIR, do you exclusively knock using UDP or have you granted your knock (hping, nmap, etc) client CAP_NET_RAW?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
port knocking is cool just like secret handshakes are cool: when you're 11 years old

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I just went and read what port knocking is and is this Seinfeld or yospos?! Holy poo poo did someone really use such a convoluted idea in real world? Don't take security advice from knockers, y'all!

Above there was text about WireGuard. As I recently did some trials of it, I paste you my writeup here (minus formatting because).

TL;DR: it works well, except on Windows it doesn't work in server mode; there's literally zero logs, if it doesn't work just roll dice to try to unfuck; there's also no DHCP or equivalent.

---------------------

WireGuard is a modern VPN technology. This page is a quick start that actually works (plenty of WireGuard quick starts on the web are incomplete).

The technology is under active development but already usable in many situations and superior to legacy technologies in various ways.

## Basic principles

There is no "server" and "client" in terms of software. Any WireGuard installation can connect to any other WireGuard installation.

There may be a "server" in terms of establishing connectivity - at least one of the peers must have an open port for the other to connect to, in each pair of WireGuard installations. The other does not need an open port (it will be opened using NAT). In fact, even if a peer's IP address changes (e.g. switching between mobile data and wifi) the tunnel will automatically reconnect and resume with the new IP address.

There may be a "server" in terms of whether a WireGuard installation will route traffic from a remote peer into the local network or not.

Authentication is performed using key pairs.

IP address assignment is static, making WireGuard suitable for "hardwired" connections and less suitable for arbitrary "on the fly" connections.

WireGuard works on most operating systems, though Windows is the most alpha quality of them all.

## WireGuard network adapters

Everything focuses around configuring one or more WireGuard network adapters. These are what enable connectivity between machines. Depending on operating system, a WireGuard network adapter may also be called a "tunnel", though in fact a network adapter can consist of several connections/tunnels. The language is a bit vague at times.

How it works is that on any WireGuard installation you can define 1 or more WireGuard network adapters. Then each of these network adapters can connect to 1 or more other WireGuard installations. The most common situation might be 1-to-1 links but 1-to-100 is perfectly doable, as well.

Each set of connected WireGuard network adapters creates a new virtual network. By default, the WireGuard enabled machines can only talk to each other. However, you can configure a machine to also forward traffic into the local network (or the internet), making it act as a router that connects the virtual network to a local network.

## Setting up a WireGuard network adapter

On Ubuntu 16 and Ubuntu 18:

code:
    OPTIONAL - only if you want to forward traffic to/from other machines on the local network.
        This applies to both types of forwarding:
            From local networks to WireGuard tunnel.
            From WireGuard tunnel to local networks.
        Ensure that all critical services are allowed in UFW configuration.
            To expose a service (e.g. SSH): sudo ufw allow 22/tcp
        sudo nano /etc/ufw/sysctl.conf
            Add/uncomment the lines:
                net/ipv4/ip_forward=1

net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding=1
        sudo nano /etc/default/ufw

DEFAULT_FORWARD_POLICY="ACCEPT"
        sudo ufw enable
        Restart the machine to ensure data flow rules are correctly applied.
    Install the "wireguard" package from the package repository.
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wireguard/wireguard
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt install wireguard
    Create the key pair for this adapter. You will need to use the public key to configure any connected peers.
        wg genkey > wg0_private.txt
        wg pubkey < wg0_private.txt > wg0_public.txt
    Create the configuration file (instructions below) as /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
    Set the access rights so that random users cannot see the configuration:
        sudo chmod 600 /etc/wireguard/*
    (If opening port to accept incoming connections) Open selected UDP port in firewall.
        sudo ufw allow 9090/udp
    Create the WireGuard network adapter
        wg-quick up wg0
    Validate the installation (this should just report the same configuration you entered)
        sudo wg
    Enable automatic startup after system restart
        sudo systemctl enable wg-quick@wg0
    Delete the .txt files with the keys.
You can repeat the steps to add as many adapters as you want (wg1, wg2, ...).

On Windows, the equivalent process is:

code:
    Install WireGuard from the MSI.
    In the WireGuard GUI, select "Add Tunnel &#8594; Add Empty Tunnel" and create a new tunnel named wg0.
        The key pair is generated automatically.
        Enter your tunnel configuration (instructions below).
    Click the big Activate button in the GUI to create the WireGuard network adapter.
You can repeat the steps to add as many adapters as you want.

IP forwarding on Windows does not work well with WireGuard as of version 0.0.20. If you want to grant remote peers access to the local network, use an Ubuntu based installation.

## Configuring a WireGuard network adapter

Prerequisites:

code:
    To configure an adapter, you need the public keys of every peer it will connect to. It might be easier to generate all the keys first, at the same time.
    At least one side of a connection must know the IP address and port of the other side (the remaining side can be either explicitly defined or detected automatically).
    You need to define the IP address range of the WireGuard network and allocate one IP address to each WireGuard network adapter to be connected to this network.
    You need to ensure that each adapter is either listening for connections or connecting to a remote endpoint.
        Define the port number and ensure it is opened for connections in any network firewalls.
        Define the IP address or hostname that identifies the listening adapter's host.
WireGuard does not work well with dynamic IP addresses. Even if you use a DNS name to identify the listening endpoint, the IP address that is behind the name cannnot change.

There is a separate configuration file for each adapter. It is structued in INI file format. The contents are mostly the same on Windows and Linux.

Inline comments in the following example configuration file explain the details.

Example configuration deliberately uses incorrect IP addresses to ensure you remember to update:

111.222.333.444 is the public IP address of the listening side, port 9090.
900.900.900.0/24 is the WireGuard network range, with the listener assigned .1 and the connecting side assigned .2

Listening side

code:
[Interface]
PrivateKey = <Private key>
ListenPort = 9090

# Address of this adapter in the WireGuard network (+ range mask).
Address = 900.900.900.1/24

# This forwards traffic from the WireGuard network into the local network and performs NAT.
# Remove these 2 lines if you do not want WireGuard network traffic to pass into the local network.
PostUp = iptables -A FORWARD -i wg0 -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
PostDown = iptables -D FORWARD -i wg0 -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

# Create a new [Peer] section for each WireGuard adapter that will connect.
[Peer]
PublicKey = <Public key of connecting peer>
# IP address assigned to this peer.
AllowedIPs = 900.900.900.2
Connecting side

code:
[Interface]
PrivateKey = <Private key>

# Address of this adapter in the WireGuard network (+ range mask).
Address = 900.900.900.2/24

[Peer]
PublicKey = <Public key of listening peer>

# Where to connect to.
Endpoint = 111.222.333.444:9090

# ALWAYS the WireGuard network IP address range
# AND optionally any number of other networks to route through the tunnel.
AllowedIPs = 900.900.900.0/24, 666.666.666.0/22

# This will ensure that your WireGuard connection remains active even when idle.
# If this is missing, NATed tunnels will fail when the NAT entry expires due to idle timeout.
PersistentKeepalive = 90
To use the VPN tunnel as the default gateway, add the following to AllowedIPs:

0.0.0.0/1, 128.0.0.0/1

Do not use 0.0.0.0/0 as that would enable WireGuard kill-switch logic that is unlikely to be useful.

On Ubuntu, to direct forwarded traffic into a WireGuard tunnel (e.g. because it is a tunnel to the internet), use the following under [Interface] section:

PostUp = iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wg0 -j MASQUERADE
PostDown = iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o wg0 -j MASQUERADE

Adjust wg0 to match the outgoing adapter name to the current adapter.

NB! This only sets up NAT and assumes that IP forwarding is already enabled.

## Establishing a connection

A WireGuard network adapter is always working after it is activated by the relevant command. However, this does not mean that it is always connected to the other end. WireGuard will always try to be connected 24/7 but if something disrupts the link, it will just drop any packets going into the WireGuard network.

There is a "latest handshake" counter in the Windows GUI that appears once connectivity is established. To see equivalent output on Linux, do "sudo wg". If the handshake information does not appear or indicates more than a few minutes in the past, it is likely that connectivity is not present.

## Applying changes

To apply configuration changes, execute:

wg-quick down wg0 && wg-quick up wg0

## Troubleshooting

There is no logging or anything. If it doesn't work, just try different things until it does.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 3, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
public ssh server chat: you can do pubkey + google auth and there is now functionality that allows caching by source so you don't have to punch the authkey in every time. As long as you stay on top of your security updates then I don't think all the other port-related obfuscations are necessary.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I know a company that ran all SSH services on a different port from default, but they understood that this added no security. All this achieved was making the log files more legible.

They couldn't use fail2ban because they'd locked themselves out once, and management consequently forbade it. :downs:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i won't standby while port knocking's reputation is tarnished! it's great for comedy ctfs where the box only lets you in after a portscan

i've said it before but tool disruption boxes are hilariously effective. the challenge can be "connect to this box, here's the credentials" and there'll be a stonewall if you disrupt the normal workflow with as much as "your portscan returns every service ever made"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CommieGIR posted:

I think its usually because they are the sort who have not disabled the root ssh access for....reasons. Usually when I ask why I get a runaround. Even better when the root password is dictionary, they dont have logging audited, and its bruteforce friendly

I generally don't like a pile-on, but I want to call you on this. Previously you described your approach as a kind of belt and suspenders "defense in depth," thing, but now you're kind of moving the goal posts by saying you're actually advocating these things as frontline security measures to make up for core deficiencies. SSH is not incredibly hard to secure as services go. It's very important to configure it properly so that it is secure because of what it can do, but the strategies for hardening are all very straightforward. I've only set up a couple VPN systems in my career, but I gotta say that it seemed much easier to gently caress up than all the times I've set up SSH with key-only, whitelisting the good ciphers, whitelisting the only non-root accounts that need access, blacklisting root, and firewalling it so it's only accessible from wherever it needs to be accessed from.

Your answer to hosed up configuration of network services can't be more network services. Looking at it logically, you're literally just increasing the attack surface. On some level something has to be configured properly for any of this security to work.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 3, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:shrug: Welp. I gotta internalize your criticism, you guys do have some very valid points. Still feels like a gut punch, but peer review often does. I'll roll with it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 3, 2019

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

y’all just lucky fbook hasn’t started using liters of blood for identity verification

judge Dredd's gun but its authentication to post

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cocoa Crispies posted:

y’all just lucky fbook hasn’t started using liters of blood for identity verification

i heard you can do it with just a finger stick now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

gtfo with this homeopathic bullshit

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

elizabeth holmes alt account found

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

the wg writeup is great, thanks!

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

*extremely elizabeth holmes voice* nanotainer

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/BulletinAtomic/status/1168306294702432256

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh man. No. Too many flashbacks to NORAD and Soviet near misses.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Can't wait for the 2020 version of that ai Google doc with the row

Algorithm figured out that nuclear war could be prevented by preemptively nuking Russia and relying on the opponent expecting a false positive warning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that WG writeup is very good

I wonder if the no-dynamic-addresses thing is a big deal for me given how rarely my address changes (hasn't happened in the year I've had service). how hard is it to do the address update? maybe I could automate it alongside the dynamic DNS updater

re: ssh, I run my externally-accessible ssh on a different port so that my log files don't end up full of kiddie scan messages, numbing me. I'm also going to set up a push notification via home assistant to tell me when someone sshs in, I think

has anyone used nginx in reverse-proxy mode to put MFA in front of arbitrary web apps? it looks possible, but everything I find looks a bit rickety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sereri posted:

Can't wait for the 2020 version of that ai Google doc with the row

Algorithm figured out that nuclear war could be prevented by preemptively nuking Russia and relying on the opponent expecting a false positive warning.

learns to pair launch with an urgent message to Russia that there was an accidental launch but there are no payloads