Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cheap Trick posted:

I feel like I'm far too dumb for this whole drat thread :v: "Make 50 Doozywhatsits to activate the Thingamajig, then reset for better Prestige Pointz scaling"

Tried NGU a while back but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing. Might try it again once it's out on Steam.

NGU has an actual, like, tutorial now so that will help.

(note: for all I know it's had it for years, I didn't remember it having one when I played way way back in the day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Alkahistorian is almost kinda neat but gets ruined by the frustration of hunting down that 1 node that messes up the production cycle because reasons.

Possibly the most obtuse and nontransparent game i have played.

Like in the first ring when you unlock the 2nd spell, its possible to enable the earth one which causes the system to go into a never ending loop of consuming all the production. However, if you first enable the 2nd fire spell, then water, then air, THEN earth, you get stable production.

Right now i have the same issue on the second ring. I can't seem to be able to start using spells in the pulverizer but the whole system is unstable as soon as i enable the forceful steam conversion. With this one off the system stays stable.

EDIT: I was randomly clicking on and off various spells and sliders and suddenly i had enough water to upgrade my water golem cap because reasons (i suddenly had 1,2e4 waterdespite the water node still claiming that 1,2e3 was the max)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 3, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aurora posted:

actually screamed a little bit unlocking this clusterfuck

I unlocked this so fast I didn't even know what the heck

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Cheap Trick posted:

I feel like I'm far too dumb for this whole drat thread :v: "Make 50 Doozywhatsits to activate the Thingamajig, then reset for better Prestige Pointz scaling"

Tried NGU a while back but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing. Might try it again once it's out on Steam.

https://ngu-idle.fandom.com/wiki/New_Player_Guide_(Truth)

Has worked very well for me. NGU is good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I am far too dumb for Alkahistorian. :saddowns:

That's the beauty of it, when you finally beat it you feel like a genius.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These screenshots of Alkahistorian are the final form of the "discussion that only means something to the people playing this game" thing that keeps happening in this thread lol. poo poo looks incomprehensible :stare:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Comprehension of Alkahistorian happens right before you move to the next level & feel like you don’t understand anything again.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Peachfart posted:

I honestly grab a few bones every so often because Trimps has the slowest game play in existence. But it was also the first incremental game I ever gave money to so it all balances out.

I'm finding U2 to be a really good change of pace to Trimps. I unlocked Challenge^3s, got a Challenge^3 bonus of 90% (Z50 for all the available C3s), and now I'm going back to U1 with my U2 heirlooms and pushing Challenge^2s up to Z720-730, since my C2s were all, maximum, around Z660 before. Once I'm done with that, I'm going to push to U2 Z70 and see how far that gets me.

A lot more active and involved than Autotrimps-ing a portal every hour or so for weeks on end.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chakan posted:

Comprehension of Alkahistorian happens right before you move to the next level & feel like you don’t understand anything again.

This seems accurate

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
See I thought alkhiatorian was rad but structure was totally inscrutable

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I really like structure in concept, but have bounced off the mid/late game a couple times now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Alkahistorian needs a search function

I keep forgetting where things are

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Captain Foo posted:

Alkahistorian needs a search function

I keep forgetting where things are

I kinda like how you have to jankily set up where you put things, reminded me of SCB and i ended up remembering everything pretty well

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In Evolve, is there a tipping point where the early game starts to pick up a bit? I've done 5 resets so far and have ~450 plasmids saved up but every time starting over is kind of a slog. I made an attempt at getting into I guess the Space phase last reset but stalled out when I couldn't get enough Knowledge for the last bit of research available to me. Maybe the game isn't for me, which is a bummer because I am finding myself enjoying the systems a lot but never really get to a point that I can let it idle too much. I end up having to interact with it a lot, especially early on in order to build & research so progress doesn't stall because I've hit my resource cap. I understand why the upgrade to start with the ability to queue things would alleviate this somewhat, but even with queues I'm still checking in a lot to build stuff out of order if I have resources available for something that may not be in queue.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

explosivo posted:

In Evolve, is there a tipping point where the early game starts to pick up a bit? I've done 5 resets so far and have ~450 plasmids saved up but every time starting over is kind of a slog. I made an attempt at getting into I guess the Space phase last reset but stalled out when I couldn't get enough Knowledge for the last bit of research available to me. Maybe the game isn't for me, which is a bummer because I am finding myself enjoying the systems a lot but never really get to a point that I can let it idle too much. I end up having to interact with it a lot, especially early on in order to build & research so progress doesn't stall because I've hit my resource cap. I understand why the upgrade to start with the ability to queue things would alleviate this somewhat, but even with queues I'm still checking in a lot to build stuff out of order if I have resources available for something that may not be in queue.

No, it's always gonna require some amount of babysitting unless the queue gets built out into more automation.

I didn't have any issues with space until I first took fanaticism this run, the answer is to build ARPA poo poo like crazy. My stock exchange is level 11 right now and it's the lowest by about half. Granted I'm pretty far into the third tier and I think I have the prestige mechanic unlock in sight now.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So I'm at 11 plasma turrets and around 50 soldiers on the wall, 9 attractors, and demons float around 5k, and I have never, ever, not been overrun and have no idea what I could do to not get overrun. I think I'm just gonna stop manning the walls at this point and turn my tourism back on, I'd rather have the money than keep guessing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Eldercain posted:

So I'm at 11 plasma turrets and around 50 soldiers on the wall, 9 attractors, and demons float around 5k, and I have never, ever, not been overrun and have no idea what I could do to not get overrun. I think I'm just gonna stop manning the walls at this point and turn my tourism back on, I'd rather have the money than keep guessing.

Make the demons not be 5k. Patrol more. Once you have turrets for defense you should be cutting them down to 1k.

Someone posted earlier that you face up to 1/4 of the current demons in a siege, and every 35 defense adds 1 to the max range of demons killed per 1% wall lost.

So 700 defense you average 10 demons killed per 1% meaning a siege over 1k large will overrun a 100% wall. With 5k demons running around you can see up to 1250 per siege. Also they will be murdering surveyors constantly.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Make the demons not be 5k. Patrol more. Once you have turrets for defense you should be cutting them down to 1k.

Someone posted earlier that you face up to 1/4 of the current demons in a siege, and every 35 defense adds 1 to the max range of demons killed per 1% wall lost.

So 700 defense you average 10 demons killed per 1% meaning a siege over 1k large will overrun a 100% wall. With 5k demons running around you can see up to 1250 per siege. Also they will be murdering surveyors constantly.

Strangely with 4 surveyors they never actually die, even with 5k demons. I'll beef up patrols and see if that helps. I guess I should buy some of these drones and stuff too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm trying out Alkahistorian after reading about it here and it rules. It is also totally inscrutable. The later node names are starting to crack me up, including:

Winner of the Magma Overheating Competition, which makes lava
Loser of the Magma Overheating Competition, which makes obsidian
Name Changed after Countless Bug Reports

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eldercain posted:

No, it's always gonna require some amount of babysitting unless the queue gets built out into more automation.

I didn't have any issues with space until I first took fanaticism this run, the answer is to build ARPA poo poo like crazy. My stock exchange is level 11 right now and it's the lowest by about half. Granted I'm pretty far into the third tier and I think I have the prestige mechanic unlock in sight now.

Eh I think I'm hanging it up then. Like I said I really like the concept of the game and would like to see more of it but I don't necessarily want to have to babysit it to progress. I was hoping it would eventually become like early game NGU where you blow by it in a few seconds to get to the new poo poo but that repeated process of starting out from scratch is killing me.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Not quite, you average a quarter of the current threat but it can go up to half. Surveyors will be 100% safe so long as the threat is below 10000 - (N * 1000), where N is the number of active surveyors. Once you're established you can run 7 consistently without casualties but anything higher risks the occasional evisceration.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sage Grimm posted:

Not quite, you average a quarter of the current threat but it can go up to half. Surveyors will be 100% safe so long as the threat is below 10000 - (N * 1000), where N is the number of active surveyors. Once you're established you can run 7 consistently without casualties but anything higher risks the occasional evisceration.

I'm running 5 patrols of 15, and have 15 in the base. I just won a round against 750 with 47% damage, and have been keeping demon levels at around 1800.

Any fewer in the patrols and they die too fast, but I guess at least now I can leave the drat thing running. Biodomes, ironically, have been a huge lifesaver.

Would still be real cool if I had received more than 3 soul gems for all this fukken trouble.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sage Grimm posted:

Thanks for clarifying. Still the moral of the story is have less active demons. Was not aware of how the surveyor deaths were calculated.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SettingSun posted:

I'm trying out Alkahistorian after reading about it here and it rules. It is also totally inscrutable. The later node names are starting to crack me up, including:

Winner of the Magma Overheating Competition, which makes lava
Loser of the Magma Overheating Competition, which makes obsidian
Name Changed after Countless Bug Reports

They're great, there's a pretty funny one in the metal area too

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve got a assembler which requires 42 Alkahest. It’s just annoying it resets at slightly over 42 for me just now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's intended, but fear not, you will unlock an upgrade that requires less Alkahest for it eventually.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
this dyson net better be pretty fukken great

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Eldercain posted:

this dyson net better be pretty fukken great

It's kinda nice for a little while. I remember thinking "I'll never use up all this energy"

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oodles posted:

I’ve got a assembler which requires 42 Alkahest. It’s just annoying it resets at slightly over 42 for me just now.

Yeah, unfortunately your first time making nontrivial amounts of iron, and your first quite-a-few times making Distilled [element] and by extension Essence [element], are going to involve a deliberate alkasplosion. Eventually though, the most Alkahest you'll need is 24 as a catalyst.

One of the most satisfying things about the endgame is that after spending the entire drat game carefully leaving things off since you don't have enough resources to feed them, you finally get enough production to just turn everything on at once and have production lasers going everywhere.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Holy poo poo Alkahistorian goes completely unhinged once you finish the first 2 rings and the central node starts doing its thing.

Most of the nodes seems manageable enough but the Time related stuff at the top is completely arcane.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Holy poo poo Alkahistorian goes completely unhinged once you finish the first 2 rings and the central node starts doing its thing.

Most of the nodes seems manageable enough but the Time related stuff at the top is completely arcane.

The only thing you really need from the top ring are two items that feed off of each other for catalysts (So the higher one gets, the faster the other is produced, which in turn means the faster the first one is produced, which means the other is produced even faster, which makes the first even faster, which makes...) that you'll need for some of the final items. You need a large amount of them, but leaving them running for a few hours was enough to kickstart everything else that branched off of them. I just don't remember which two they were, because the names are all so similar.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ineptitude posted:

the rabbit hole makes more sense once you've closed the game window for a while but I still don't entirely know what it does

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

It’s when you think you’ve completed a section, and you get the purple boundary and you see that there’s a new node on the opposite side of the map. And there’s 2 other options, with question marks for the required items.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

That thing the central node does every time it hits 42 is really annoying, NGL.

It feels like its just there to make everything take more time. The first few times was fine as it actually did something but the 100th time, when its happening while i need it to stay at 42 to act as a catalyst feels completely pointless.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Good news! Evolve literally takes pity on your failed Soul Gem drops and incrementally increases the chance each time you fail, resetting once you succeed!

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

That thing the central node does every time it hits 42 is really annoying, NGL.

It feels like its just there to make everything take more time. The first few times was fine as it actually did something but the 100th time, when its happening while i need it to stay at 42 to act as a catalyst feels completely pointless.
if i remember correctly, you can stop it from hitting 42 and keep it steady at whatever value you desire

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

But i need exactly 42 to get the solution machine going :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Playing through Paperclips again... it's such a nice "comfort food" kinda game

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So, alkahistory I've unlocked the top section. But it feels like I'm missing something.

I'd imagine the one i'm missing generates me time, as i've got nothing that's increasing my time. And also, i'm finding the rabbithole at the top is tracking my time, but it's decreasing. Not sure what else is demanding time, as I'd thought I've switched all consumers off. And I cant see a laser going anywhere.

Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Congratulations, you all made me give Alkahistorian another try.