Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
just use sms 2fa to keep those nukes secure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sereri posted:

Can't wait for the 2020 version of that ai Google doc with the row

Algorithm figured out that nuclear war could be prevented by preemptively nuking Russia and relying on the opponent expecting a false positive warning.

compromise the cell network, generate that false positive warning, then launch your poo poo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lain Iwakura posted:

just use sms 2fa to keep those nukes secure

the double-WOPR with keys

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if the no-dynamic-addresses thing is a big deal for me given how rarely my address changes (hasn't happened in the year I've had service). how hard is it to do the address update? maybe I could automate it alongside the dynamic DNS updater

yes, use this on a frequent cronjob

https://github.com/WireGuard/WireGuard/blob/master/contrib/examples/reresolve-dns/reresolve-dns.sh

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what leads people to write security-sensitive scripts in inscrutable extended-bash

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
it's never a conscious choice, just a series of decisions between the benefits/risks of just-one-more-line vs a rewrite

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have my Mini-PCI-Ex WWAN NICs IP range as one of the few permitted IP ranges that can access my network directly, but for everything else I use a SSH jumphost on a server in the Equinix, Virginia, US datacenter (because it's free, and I'm poor) that is accessible from anywhere and only permits access with keyfiles.
I don't think it's fool-proof, but since I've been taught that keyfiles must have passphrases for my entire life, I think I could do worse.

There's also freedns.afraid.org that can be updated by a simple curl command.
It's also run on FreeBSD.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:yeshaha:

mystes
May 31, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's also freedns.afraid.org that can be updated by a simple curl command.
It's also run on FreeBSD.
I think this isn't to update the dns record, but rather something you run on the client computer to force the kernel to reresolve the server's dns address which is for some reason necessary because wireguard runs in the kernel.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

yes precisely, this is to force wg to reresolve the endpoint hostname to an ip once your ddns has been updated (i use dns.he.net for that, supported natively by edgeos)

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
wanna say that wireguard write up is bomb, thanks for that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, the write up is excellent, I'm gonna try it tonight.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: Welp. I gotta internalize your criticism, you guys do have some very valid points. Still feels like a gut punch, but peer review often does. I'll roll with it.

I just wanted to say this is a cool and good post and you are a cool and good poster for making it!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

xtal posted:

I wonder what leads people to write security-sensitive scripts in inscrutable extended-bash

in this case its portability, wireguard is multiplatform and that script will work on everything but windows

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

The "algorithm" is actually 5 Indian dudes paid sub-minimum wage to read the news all day.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The "algorithm" is actually 5 Indian dudes paid sub-minimum wage to read Twitter all day.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
NVM didn't F5

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

linux lts kernels are a complete mess of missed or broken security patches

https://grsecurity.net/teardown_of_a_failed_linux_lts_spectre_fix.php

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

wireguard is too new to be good or usable but it's got a really good name. also "lightweight" branding

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah doing all that parsing and stuff in-kernel? Idk about that. I'm gonna stick with openvpn for a couple years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Yeah doing all that parsing and stuff in-kernel? Idk about that. I'm gonna stick with openvpn for a couple years.

Me too, but I still want to try it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought wireguard’s usability was a big selling point, with the qr code configuration stuff and provisioning profiles and peer-to-peer. is it clunky?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

wireguard is too new to be good or usable but it's got a really good name. also "lightweight" branding

as someone that followed the development of OpenVPN and WireGuard for years now, I’ll take alpha WireGuard over “mature” OpenVPN

the fact that it can’t be ports scanned because the very first packet is authenticated and that it doesn’t allocate memory at runtime prevents whole categories of potential exploits

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I thought wireguard’s usability was a big selling point, with the qr code configuration stuff and provisioning profiles and peer-to-peer. is it clunky?

the linux config story is fine - much nicer than openvpn or ipsec
android gui version is decent and works seamlessly with both userspace and kernel versions
can't speak for other OSs or GUIs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my first impression is that the windows gui won't work unless you're logged in to your desktop with an admin account.

Can't even run-as admin

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nice to see security apps aware that the Windows GUI isn't safe

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: Welp. I gotta internalize your criticism, you guys do have some very valid points. Still feels like a gut punch, but peer review often does. I'll roll with it.
ya'll be ok.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rufus Ping posted:

the linux config story is fine - much nicer than openvpn or ipsec
android gui version is decent and works seamlessly with both userspace and kernel versions
can't speak for other OSs or GUIs

the iOS experience seemed pretty great, but I didn’t try on-demand

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

nice to see security apps aware that the Windows GUI isn't safe

yeah, but that's the opposite of safe

that dialog is the equivalent of telling me to log in as root in order to use the gui

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
all that port knocking chat reminded me of another ssh suggestion I saw. which is to run your ssh daemon as a tor hidden service, is that a good or bad idea?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Crankit posted:

all that port knocking chat reminded me of another ssh suggestion I saw. which is to run your ssh daemon as a tor hidden service, is that a good or bad idea?

avoid being near arguments by couples in libraries while using ssh if you do implement that

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Crankit posted:

It's a good alternative to dynamic DNS if you don't mind it being slow, plus you don't need to use TLS for anything.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Crankit posted:

it's kind of ridiculous and you shouldn't do it, but it has some neat properties

- accessible through [cg]nat
- can get past some dpi using pluggable transports (obfs4, meek)
- don't need to validate host keys because onion services are authenticated end-to-end

downsides:
- latency is bad

mystes
May 31, 2006

downsides:
- you'll probably end up on some sort of list

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Fool posted:

yeah, but that's the opposite of safe

that dialog is the equivalent of telling me to log in as root in order to use the gui

if you log in as root then the input method editor can't attack privileged programs

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

mystes posted:

downsides:
- you'll probably end up on some sort of list

the classic mistake people used to make is this:

- using v2 onion services without client authorization
- malicious hsdirs can then derive your service's .onion address from its descriptor
- portscan and fingerprint your services (tls certs, sshd host key)
- you left the same services accessible via the clear web, or successfully remembered to disable them but forgot to then rotate your keys
- shodan saw it all
- police raid OVH and image your top secret drug marketplace server

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

avoid being near arguments by couples in libraries while using ssh if you do implement that

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

literal skynet, cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the good news is the amount of hand waving wrt "artificial intelligence" in the source article could be effectively used as an ABM defense field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Perplx posted:

as someone that followed the development of OpenVPN and WireGuard for years now, I’ll take alpha WireGuard over “mature” OpenVPN

the fact that it can’t be ports scanned because the very first packet is authenticated and that it doesn’t allocate memory at runtime prevents whole categories of potential exploits

“prevents whole categories of potential exploits” is more marketing. wireguard doesn’t have a track record. I’m surprised tbh that I have to tell the secfuck thread new and different is doubleungood

not surprised. saddened