Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

poverty goat posted:

This tiny little guy greeted me on the driveway this morning and made a big show of being a scary badass before he decided maybe this wasn't a good fight to pick and fled

https://i.imgur.com/iaFYEpH.gifv

cross post this to the cute thread asap. my god. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol that is adorable

idk what type of snake that is but iiirc certain nonvenomous species will rattle their tails like that to imitate rattlers as a defense, in dead leaves it actually sounds pretty convincing

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

free hubcaps posted:

lol that is adorable

idk what type of snake that is but iiirc certain nonvenomous species will rattle their tails like that to imitate rattlers as a defense, in dead leaves it actually sounds pretty convincing

It’s a racer of some kind—which species will depend on the location. They are one of the species notorious for doing the tail jiggle to get you to back off.

I jumped an adult in leaves once and can confirm that while it doesn’t sound like a rattlesnake, it’s loud and startling anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also worth noting they can and will absolutely bite the poo poo out of you and you will bleed a lot, like a lot a lot

I remember when I was 7 and was at a family gathering, I was rooting around in the woods near their house looking for bugs and found a 3 foot long racer snake. I grabbed it because I was a dumb kid and went to show it to everyone, and as I approached them some people shrieked because A: there's a kid with a loving giant snake running towards them, and B: it had been biting my arm all over repeatedly and I just thought "that tickles" because its teeth were so sharp it didn't hurt. but my entire arm was absolutely pouring blood everywhere from dozens of tiny puncture wounds

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I think it was due to this thread that I learned to tell the difference between black racers and black rat snakes, both of which are common here in ct. though they look pretty similar the difference in attitudes is pretty marked, rat snakes are chill as hell whereas racers are very wary and will bite ferociously if you give them a chance like you said

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Two bees for the price of one!

Hellsau posted:

That's actually just one really long bee, digging into the left flower and coming out the right one.

Two bees, or not two bees? That is the question

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the yeti posted:

It’s a racer of some kind—which species will depend on the location.

Virginia Beach

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Happy Flying Ant Day, Edmonton!

I never realized how coordinated this could get, but at least five colonies in my area were in on the action when I walked my dog last night. I swept what I thought was a single female off my shoulder and felt a bit bad when I noticed a tiny male was there as well.

I think they're relatively uncommon in Edmonton, unfortunately (though it looks like we're just in that range).

Flying Ant Day is an excellent holiday to go on a nighttime critterquest. The swarms mean the predators will be out in force too so its an excellent opportunity to grab a flash light and go hunting for frogs, lizards, snakes, and everything else

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Two bees, or not two bees? That is the question

Bailiff, whack his pee-pee! :cop:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That little jumper looks so proud of himself!

I am out west and visiting big canyons and other cool poo poo.

Hemenway Park in Boulder City, AZ -- just a little local park with a baseball diamond and a herd of bighorn sheep. I'm guessing they're attracted to all the green and the reliable shade. It was like 108 today so I don't blame them for being choosy.

Meanwhile, at the south rim, this lady elk wandered very close to the main pathway from the visitor's center.

Cannot adequately convey the size of her. She was a walking tank.

After the sun was down enough, some bats started to appear. We saw two different kinds I think. Canyon bats for sure, but there was another one of a different size that looked to be pale-colored instead of brown. Could have just been lighting!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

he found a damsel in distress

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I want a jumping spider the size of a cat so I can stare into its camera-lens eyes and wonder whats going on in there before it pounces on me and injects like half a gallon of venom that turns my innards to soup.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
After y'all identified that she's a fishing spider, I've been calling her Ms Fisher, and I've been turning on the outside light to attract bugs for her. Over the last six weeks she seems to have grown fat and happy. I can only hope that she'll come inside when it gets cold.

Old:

New:

I want to pet the spider so bad but she always runs away. Why won't she let me love her??

vortmax fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 3, 2019

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

vortmax posted:

After y'all identified that she's a fishing spider, I've been calling her Ms Fisher, and I've been turning on the outside light to attract bugs for her. Over the last six weeks she seems to have grown fat and happy. I can only hope that she'll come inside when it gets cold.

Old:

New:

I want to pet the spider so bad but she always runs away. Why won't she let me love her??

I've fed spiders before. When I had to move last year I seriously considered bringing along the spider that lived above my kitchen sink with me. I miss her. :(

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

vortmax posted:

Old:

New:

this post is so pure
she might be getting fat with eggs and then you'll have babies :kimchi:

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Vouch that racers are bitey, rattley little dears.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

vortmax posted:

Old:

New:

drat, that girl really has gained some weight. You're in for a lot of little spiders, I think. Overfeeding doesn't usually do that this quickly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

I want a jumping spider the size of a cat so I can stare into its camera-lens eyes and wonder whats going on in there before it pounces on me and injects like half a gallon of venom that turns my innards to soup.

I know it can't just be me, but jumpers feel the least spider-like of all the spiders I see. They move like little robots, their body/head shape & general demeanor are more like a curious tiny 8 legged puppy

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A 3am intruder trying to escape from the cat.

I've put a plastic ring over their likely intrusion vector so hopefully no more early morning surprises.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that a possum? I love possums! They're adorabugly

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Is that a possum? I love possums! They're adorabugly

Yeah, it's a Ringtail. They're cuter when they're outside my window in the trees and not running for their life around my apartment at 3am.

Still glad the little dude is ok.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone photoshop goku pants onto the top possum

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I know it can't just be me, but jumpers feel the least spider-like of all the spiders I see. They move like little robots, their body/head shape & general demeanor are more like a curious tiny 8 legged puppy
Oh, no, it definitely isn't just you. Jumping spiders are widely acknowledged to be the most intelligent of spiders by a fair margin. In fact, they actually do exhibit curiosity behaviour - when you hold your finger in front of them, their natural first instinct isn't to flee, but rather to fixate on it and try to figure out what it is.

Jumping spiders are also capable of surprisingly complex planning. When you see a jumping spider sitting on a spot staring at a branch or a handful of leaves, it is currently trying to figure out how to get somewhere that it can't reach in a direct line. They don't really have the brain capacity to think about all of it at once, so they go at it like a little Turing machine and work it over piece by piece.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, no, it definitely isn't just you. Jumping spiders are widely acknowledged to be the most intelligent of spiders by a fair margin. In fact, they actually do exhibit curiosity behaviour - when you hold your finger in front of them, their natural first instinct isn't to flee, but rather to fixate on it and try to figure out what it is.

Jumping spiders are also capable of surprisingly complex planning. When you see a jumping spider sitting on a spot staring at a branch or a handful of leaves, it is currently trying to figure out how to get somewhere that it can't reach in a direct line. They don't really have the brain capacity to think about all of it at once, so they go at it like a little Turing machine and work it over piece by piece.

Yeah, salticids are the best. Some species will pluck the edges of another spider's web and pounce when the spider comes running.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Did not like my interfering with her honeydew tending

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Went outside to check the temperature and found this guy sitting on my porch railing. We watched each other for a while, then he trundled off towards the bushes.

This one landed nearby and I wondered if the mantis would go hunting, but they ignored one another.

Then I decided to go to the local nature center for some hiking since the weather was nice, and found this guy at the entrance.

These, meanwhile, were everywhere. On benches, on paths, etc.

This pretty friend was hanging out just outside one of the nature center's windows.

Also spotted these two next to each other on the same flower patch.

The yellow one flew into a nearby greenhouse that had roughly 10,000 insects trapped in it trying to get out, and several other dead butterflies who failed to escape, so I went in after it and rescued it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/0BBvZXw.gifv

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

vaguely posted:

this post is so pure
she might be getting fat with eggs and then you'll have babies :kimchi:

Cardiovorax posted:

drat, that girl really has gained some weight. You're in for a lot of little spiders, I think. Overfeeding doesn't usually do that this quickly.
I thought she might have had a gentleman caller a few weeks back (who ended up in pieces in her haphazard webbing). I'm hoping that since she's closely related to wolf spiders she'll carry any babies around on her back. I've only seen that once! :kimchi:

Ms Fisher in the hunting pose, ready for any ladybugs or grasshoppers or moths that come her way:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Dolomedes spiders do carry their egg sac around, but they don't tend to carry the young. They make a special nursery nest and guard their lil' ball of babies until they're big enough to make it on their own :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't take a picture of it, but there's something so incredibly adorable about house mice where they are born as a giant head with limbs and then the rest of the mouse grows out of the giant head

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nighthand posted:

This pretty friend was hanging out just outside one of the nature center's windows.

That's a very lovely stabilimentum, you don't really see those where I live at all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got a bit of a backlog of critters, so :vomarine:

female dobsonfly pinned to the conveyor belt near my work area by the industrial fan there, I tossed it outside, it's a little nipper it is

an itty bitty wooly bear that I luckily saw in my sandal before putting my foot in, fuckin love wooly bears

a big ol' hairy orb weaver with a body about the size of a dime built a web right in front of the door to my dad's house, so I got a nice face full of it when leaving because I forgot it was there and the culprit got super mad and ran out to bite me for destroying its web

frog jerky from work, the facility is built on a swamp so frogs and other critters often make their way inside and often fail to make their way back out, becoming mummified

a teensy baby wolf spider the size of my pinky fingernail was hanging out on my back door catching gnats and small moths

two significant-sized Weevils were on my back door and were all too accomodating when I wanted to take photos. I loving LOVE WEEVILS! They are some of my favorite beetles, they're so drat goofy. Check out the schnoz on the second one!

and weevil 2, this guy was legit big, not sure what the biggest weevil in the world is(probably some massive tropical/madagascar species) but this guy was pretty sizeable compared to every other weevil I've ever seen

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

two significant-sized Weevils were on my back door and were all too accomodating when I wanted to take photos. I loving LOVE WEEVILS! They are some of my favorite beetles, they're so drat goofy. Check out the schnoz on the second one!

and weevil 2, this guy was legit big, not sure what the biggest weevil in the world is(probably some massive tropical/madagascar species) but this guy was
North American palmetto weevils get to be well over an inch long! You can find them in Florida.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

and weevil 2, this guy was legit big, not sure what the biggest weevil in the world is(probably some massive tropical/madagascar species) but this guy was pretty sizeable compared to every other weevil I've ever seen

Weevils wobble but they don't fall down :v:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just your typical goblin looking turtle

https://twitter.com/elburbo_/status/1171173845102936064

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Invictus, I think your wolf spider might be a nursery web spider! The stripe gives it away.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Today I bring you a BIG and a smol

This friend is high above the back door at work, where there's a light on all the time.

And this one had built a web on the doorknob, which wasn't the best idea.

omg the cutest snake

vortmax fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 12, 2019

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Weevils wobble but they don't fall down :v:

AAAAHHHH - I was just going through and thinking the same thing! :hf:

(except it was “wovvle.” :) )

Adbot