Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

Via yospos:

in which tesla tries to kill their customers in a natural disaster area

oh man, not that charging station in a Wawa parking lot in Pinellas Park :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tokamak posted:

"SpaceX did not move its satellite, blaming a computer bug that prevented proper communication with ESA."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/3/20847243/spacex-starlink-satellite-european-space-agency-aeolus-conjunction-space-debris

Musk is really knocking it out of the park with software that excels at killing it's users.

quote:

a bug in the company’s “on-call paging system” prevented the Starlink team from getting additional email correspondence from ESA.

we're literally too stupid to set up zendesk, please give us millions of dollars to put your billion dollar hardware into orbit

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yes. next year

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

What are the odds that SpaceX's method for detecting other satellites nearby is just a cell phone camera taped to the side?

Low orbit satellites are moving at speeds of ~25,000 km/h, so you don't have enough time to detect and react to collisions in real-time. Because it's hard managing 12,000 satellites, SpaceX plans to take the collision warning advice from the Air Force and let an AI decide what to do instead of a person. This seems like a bad idea given ESA's detailed analysis determined the risk was 10 times greater than what SpaceX assumed.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Tokamak posted:

Low orbit satellites are moving at speeds of ~25,000 km/h, so you don't have enough time to detect and react to collisions in real-time.

Aren't they all moving at roughly the same speed, though? Velocity being a function of orbital height and all. Or am I misunderstanding how satellite orbits work?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alien Arcana posted:

Aren't they all moving at roughly the same speed, though? Velocity being a function of orbital height and all. Or am I misunderstanding how satellite orbits work?

Think of it as a car pulling out into traffic and getting t-boned but the cross traffic is moving at 10000 mph

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Equip all non SpaceX sats with guns.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

What are the odds that SpaceX's method for detecting other satellites nearby is just a cell phone camera taped to the side?

Hey man it's not his fault that the ESA sat didn't have lights on it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alien Arcana posted:

they can be at the same height but in different inclinations in which case they can collide at some very high velocities

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Honestly we're not celebrating the ESA's ability to put firetrucks into orbit enough ITT

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Let's hope SpaceX doesn't get into satellite imaging, or it will get one look at a firetruck and deorbit itself.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Cojawfee posted:

Let's hope SpaceX doesn't get into satellite imaging, or it will get one look at a firetruck and deorbit itself.

SpaceX's satellites deorbiting themselves is actually the best-case scenario here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Discussing with a (otherwise smart guy who is unsympathetic to Tesla) dude who says they don't "kill people like VWs dieselgate scandal". Are there somewhere one can easily see fatalities caused by Tesla that would be avoided if one had just used a real car?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tias posted:

Discussing with a (otherwise smart guy who is unsympathetic to Tesla) dude who says they don't "kill people like VWs dieselgate scandal". Are there somewhere one can easily see fatalities caused by Tesla that would be avoided if one had just used a real car?

one of the several times autopilot has killed someone.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
is there an overview of those cases somewhere?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
let it not with the leg.

edit

whaley has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Sep 4, 2019

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Tias posted:

is there an overview of those cases somewhere?

there’s Tesla deaths, not complete but tracking a lot of deaths, and when AP is confirmed too

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Tias posted:

both can be bad and cases of criminal corporate malfeasance, op

instead of trying to argue against tesla so that it’s supposed to somehow be seen as worse just roll with his punches and agree that yes the two situations are terrible and deserving of :thermidor:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

it's a sonar, duh. haven't you seen the wing commander movie

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

easy right answer is that elon musk is a hack fraud liar

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

easy right answer is that elon musk is a hack fraud liar

Who is going to save THE WORLD!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tias posted:

The global diesel pollution is far worse than the rare rich people computer cars.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

The global diesel pollution is far worse than the rare rich people computer cars.

It's pretty much irrelevant because they were falsifying non-co2 emissions, which, who the gently caress cares about nox and particiculates or whatever :jerkbag:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

you don’t need to rank those things because we can just build a mile long guillotine that removes alllllll of those zillion dollar bonus seeking heads at the same time

:stoked:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

shovelbum posted:

It's pretty much irrelevant because they were falsifying non-co2 emissions, which, who the gently caress cares about nox and particiculates or whatever :jerkbag:

yeah, important to remember that vw cheating was net helping out on global warming by killing more people without really having a negative effect on the broader ecosystem.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, important to remember that vw cheating was net helping out on global warming by killing more people without really having a negative effect on the broader ecosystem.

Nox restrictions will always create more co2 bc of how diesels work

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

note that while a diesel fleet of cars will contribute significantly to genociding the human race due to climate change, tesla cars are about as effective at addressing this issue as re-usable garbage bags at the supermarket and are problematic since people think it is a reasonable solution

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tokamak posted:

"SpaceX did not move its satellite, blaming a computer bug that prevented proper communication with ESA."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/3/20847243/spacex-starlink-satellite-european-space-agency-aeolus-conjunction-space-debris

Musk is really knocking it out of the park with software that excels at killing it's users.

oh my god their satellites use the same collision detection as their Tesla’s

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

oh my god their satellites use the same collision detection as their Tesla’s

thats ok there's no firetrucks in space

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Space fire trucks are comets.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Has anyone actually identified what it is that Teslas love so much about fire trucks? There is a sort of logic to the trailer thing, where the Tesla sees the space underneath and thinks it's a really cool tunnel that it really wants to drive through, or the cases where a self driving system has mistaken a white lorry for a big open patch of sky on a sunny day and tried to drive through it.

So why fire trucks?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AI wants to gently caress fire trucks please don’t kink shame

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Big, red, gets mistaken for the sun

which is to say previously any time they turned west during sunset they’d slam on the brakes thinking it was a firetruck, so they hardcoded a fix to ignore that and oops

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Big, red, gets mistaken for the sun

which is to say previously any time they turned west during sunset they’d slam on the brakes thinking it was a firetruck, so they hardcoded a fix to ignore that and oops

What an elegant solution. That means it doesn't care about stop signs as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

Has anyone actually identified what it is that Teslas love so much about fire trucks? There is a sort of logic to the trailer thing, where the Tesla sees the space underneath and thinks it's a really cool tunnel that it really wants to drive through, or the cases where a self driving system has mistaken a white lorry for a big open patch of sky on a sunny day and tried to drive through it.

So why fire trucks?

fire trucks, amberlamps and police cars have retro reflective tape on them which blows out the cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi0d73YoToM

so they can't see the actual object, just the inconsistent reflective bits, and the car assumes it's just rain

that's also why Teslas keep driving under trucks and making their drivers lose their heads.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

TheDarkFlame posted:

So why fire trucks?

might be that because they’ve got no spatial confidence beyond the car immediately in front, so whenever that car changes lanes to go around a parked emergency vehicle the tesla just thinks “wow a free space to slam on the acceleration!” *loud sounds of breaking glass and crushing metal*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TheDarkFlame posted:

So why fire trucks?

Tesla's autopilot is unable* to identify stationary objects and other emergency vehicles are relatively rarely used to block a lane at a crash site because fire trucks are the most massive and effective temporary barricades. Teslas have also run into highway patrol cars and tow trucks.

*at the very least the radar system is perfectly capable of identifying stationary objects but it is very likely that anything with a speed of 0mph gets thrown out of the autopilot model as ground clutter type stuff unless the cameras have positively identified it as a vehicle

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Teslas want to self-immolate and know fire trucks are responsible for helping to stop fires.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Teslas want to self-immolate and know fire trucks are responsible for helping to stop fires.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

they're using a neural net so it's a black box and nobody has any clue what's going on inside or why it does X. they can just show it more pictures of firetrucks and go NO BAD TESLA and see if it seems like it's learned to behave right

there are ways to internally analyse a neural net and how it categorises and compartmentalises data, but it's complex and starts looking like deep dream poo poo if you're working with images. neural nets just don't perceive information like we do, it becomes way more abstract

add in the fact that the musk isn't just trying to train a NN that can identify different kinds of dog, but a system that can correctly perceive and identify objects in webcam snaps of the 3D world (where anything can be anywhere in any orientation) and whoa turns out this is kinda complicated u guys. even the dog detectors have trouble when the nose isn't pointing in an ideal direction