Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

maffew buildings posted:

I thought 34 was too old for commissioning or have I been yet again lied to

Yeah, but they have waivers for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

I thought 34 was too old for commissioning or have I been yet again lied to

34 is old enough to know better

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
He did army ROTC in college for a couple years, but dropped it before he had to commit. We’ve always joked he was a conversation with a halfway-competent recruiter away from joining.

I get the feeling it’s an early midlife crisis type of thing. Also, he’s been listening to my stories of being an Air Guard engineer officer for the last few years, and got inspired. Something tells me his TDY’s won’t be to Europe and tropical islands with full per diem...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

EBB posted:

34 is old enough to know better

I already enlisted well past the know better age, this would be the next idiot step

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Enlisting: burning your hand on the hot stove.

Re-enlisting: burning your hand on the hot stove again.

Going officer: deciding that it’s worth the time and investment to keep joe from putting his hand on the hot stove, where you’ve now stuck your dick.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pkells posted:

He did army ROTC in college for a couple years, but dropped it before he had to commit. We’ve always joked he was a conversation with a halfway-competent recruiter away from joining.

I get the feeling it’s an early midlife crisis type of thing. Also, he’s been listening to my stories of being an Air Guard engineer officer for the last few years, and got inspired. Something tells me his TDY’s won’t be to Europe and tropical islands with full per diem...

If he gets into the right reserve unit, maybe. Engineer officers in USAR get some interesting TDY assignments, especially if they're in the non-big-army units or IMA positions. But he'll still have to do time in a line unit as a lieutenant arguing with maintenance warrants about fixing bulldozers. That and he'll probably be deployed, because engineer units are some of the most frequently deployed in the entire reserve component (outside of your weird poo poo like MISO).

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 3, 2019

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

colachute posted:

Enlisting: burning your hand on the hot stove.

Re-enlisting: burning your hand on the hot stove again.

Going officer: deciding that it’s worth the time and investment to keep joe from putting his hand on the hot stove, where you’ve now stuck your dick.

If anyone has an OCS recruiting POC/burn doctor please PM me. I'm not leaving the service and someone with no bullshit answers on this would be helpful, thanks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
OCS is just normal run of the mill Army recruiters.

I don't think your age matters if you're prior service, only for college option OCS candidates, which can still be waivered.

No idea what the policy is for reserve or guard OCS candidates though.

Life in a BCT blows, it's essentially a constant state of crisis and you lurch from one fire to put out to another, while various smaller fires simmer around you (whether you know it or not) with the potential to also turn into really big fires.

It gets old when literally everything you do is treated like an emergency and the world will end if you don't make an arbitrary suspense.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang posted:

OCS is just normal run of the mill Army recruiters.

I don't think your age matters if you're prior service, only for college option OCS candidates, which can still be waivered.

No idea what the policy is for reserve or guard OCS candidates though.

I think Reserve OCS cutoff is something like 33 as far as how old you can be by the time you commission, so if you're not prior service you expect that the max age you can be rolling into basic/federal OCS is around 31, or 32 if you just had a birthday.

National guard requires you to be 34 just to enlist, and then you can commission before your 42nd birthday lmbo.

so if you have even 1 contract of prior service under your belt you can jump into OCS right before you hit 50, which would be hilarious seeing a 48 year old dude bopping around the national guard OCS training sites with a bunch of young 20 year olds.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im so glad to be too old

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Enlist or reclass to an appropriate feeder MOS and go Warrant. It's like being an officer, but you're not in charge of Joe.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Enlist or reclass to an appropriate feeder MOS and go Warrant. It's like being an officer, but you're not in charge of Joe.

The best thing I ever saw was an e-6 go into ROTC at Kansas State University. Dude was ranger tabbed and apparently had been through a decent amount of poo poo during the first few years of the Iraq war.

His entire goal in the military was to get the most skate job as an officer and grab Major, hit 20 and ETS. Aside from that all he did was fish.
Dude had no fucks left to give but wanted to ride out the last 7-8 years and grab that pension the easiest way possible.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nice and hot piss posted:

The best thing I ever saw was an e-6 go into ROTC at Kansas State University. Dude was ranger tabbed and apparently had been through a decent amount of poo poo during the first few years of the Iraq war.

His entire goal in the military was to get the most skate job as an officer and grab Major, hit 20 and ETS. Aside from that all he did was fish.
Dude had no fucks left to give but wanted to ride out the last 7-8 years and grab that pension the easiest way possible.

o7

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mad respect for that dude

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

When I reached out to the HRC OCS contact I was told no go on waiver if prior service, so this is probably just a matter of networking to who will work with me. Or the last month of deployment kills ALL my motivation and I move on with my life.

I wish I joined the Legion

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Seek help. :ohno:

I entertained trying to go be an ANG/AF Reserve officer pre-Trump, but I think the persistent low grade worry and anxiety of the military + Trump has totally put the kibosh on that. You're an insane person if you go try to be an Army officer having seen Mustang's experience over the past 5 years.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 4, 2019

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lol just saw a dude at the Green Bean on Buehring who somehow still had an A2. Natty Guard rolling deep in this shithole

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Thump! posted:

Lol just saw a dude at the Green Bean on Buehring who somehow still had an A2. Natty Guard rolling deep in this shithole

hey i was a nasty girl at buehring with an a2

in 2004

shout out to the tradition holding strong

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey i was a nasty girl at buehring with an a2

in 2004

shout out to the tradition holding strong

I’m just surprised to see it in tyool 2k19. I woulda thought even they had gotten at least A4s

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were still ng helicopters in Afghanistan with m60s for the door gunners in 2005, think they upgraded yet?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you needed anything more than an a2 then you're a bitch hth

ARMY STRONG

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

quote this poo poo if you remember when it was called udari instead of beuhring

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ARMY STRONG

True

Speaking of shooting, the new qual COF is fun as gently caress and has everyone pissed off. I shot a 38 on it my first time and literally everyone else shot like a 8.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I almost died jacking it in a porta shitter there. gently caress Kuwait.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Richard Bong posted:

I almost died jacking it in a porta shitter there. gently caress Kuwait.

Don’t blame Kuwait for your like of heart.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ARMY STRONG

Isn't the A2 full auto?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I’ll get my 240.

You get your a2.

You call me a bitch.

And I’ll say you’re right cause I’m not carrying this stupid poo poo.

Army strong.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

not caring here posted:

Isn't the A2 full auto?

a2 is a modified full auto that the regular army got rid of that has a three round burst that maybe works, handguards that require three grown men to remove, and a buttstock cubby that has seen more joints than an airport toilet

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

a2 is a modified full auto that the regular army got rid of that has a three round burst that maybe works, handguards that require three grown men to remove, and a buttstock cubby that has seen more joints than an airport toilet

Just lol if you haven't removed a chunk of skin from your fingers while trying to take the handguards off of an a2.

I believe the M4 has an automatic variant, but the ones we were issued were all 3 round burst (the most useless of firing modes).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
M16, M16A1, and M16A3 are full auto.

M16A2 and M16A4 are burst.

M4 is burst. M4A1 is full auto.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I briefly carried an XM16 at LDAC.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

EBB posted:

I briefly carried an XM16 at LDAC.

Same. With a ridiculously low serial number and wobbling the handle left the upper with some impressive give and clackity goodness. Ripped off blanks full auto like a champ, though!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Thump! posted:

It’s not NG necessarily; as an individual deployer from the ARNG to an AD unit, the mob site at Fort Bliss gave everyone (which was a mix of all Army components) A2s. My home ARNG unit, an MI company no less OTOH had all brand new M4s, SAWs, M320s, optics/PVS-14s, etc. That was the only A2 I ever touched outside of BCT.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Well it was Udari Army Airfield at camp beuhring.

On my last deployment to Afghanistan (within the last 2 years), our flight ops guys were issued A2s. Also, an Apache pilot found out that the Army had converted some M4s from burst to auto and back and this had left them with an issue where the hammer dropped when the selector switch was moved from semi to safe. This caused him to ND into the tarmac at Kandahar after a mission as he had loaded a round and taken the weapon off safe when he went over the wire. Y'know, so that he wouldn't have to waste time racking a round and moving the selector from safe if he got shot down and needed to participate in a fire fight.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 16, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Same. With a ridiculously low serial number and wobbling the handle left the upper with some impressive give and clackity goodness. Ripped off blanks full auto like a champ, though!

Yeah, I went rock n' roll with the blanks and didn't jam even with no CLP for miles. It was a miracle.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

colachute posted:

Don’t blame Kuwait for your like of heart.

If I lacked heart I wouldn’t have finished.

I did.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So I’m here in CLDJ. I’m spending my lunches either at the woodshop making plaques or swimming. I swear I get more work done outside of work hours(civil affairs) and basically we’re just all arguing about money and missions with our higher.

I’m considering doing a run of a few E-4 sham shields 🛡 the blue falcon one, once I’m done with my current work.(Does anyone think I could sell these?)

..since I’m the OIC I set my own hours, which is nice. But really people do stupid poo poo on deployment like the guy who dislocated his arm playing ultimate frisbee, why?(I know why.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

White Chocolate posted:

So I’m here in CLDJ. I’m spending my lunches either at the woodshop making plaques or swimming. I swear I get more work done outside of work hours(civil affairs) and basically we’re just all arguing about money and missions with our higher.

I’m considering doing a run of a few E-4 sham shields 🛡 the blue falcon one, once I’m done with my current work.(Does anyone think I could sell these?)

..since I’m the OIC I set my own hours, which is nice. But really people do stupid poo poo on deployment like the guy who dislocated his arm playing ultimate frisbee, why?(I know why.)

Congrats for finding a new side of mad income on CLDJ.

Old military fucks on cake rear end missions love plaques and you can TOTALLY bilk a few chiefs outta their cigar money on CLDJ

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Does the store still only sell nighthawk routers because watching people drop $200+ for one with a 1Mbps internet was always funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1175836628880908294?s=21