Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

God help me. Please. Because Brad Meltzer's page was one of my favorites in the whole book and gently caress that can't be right.

Hahaha I had the same exact reaction

Maybe writing children's biographies has settled him down some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
This week's Doctor Strange was so good, it reminded me why I read comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Hahaha I had the same exact reaction

Maybe writing children's biographies has settled him down some.

Yeah that or they credited the wrong person.

Also I found myself really into the whole Enclave storyline. I really want to know where this goes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TwoPair posted:

Like, come on guys, it took me two seconds to google "superhero debut 1992" to learn that War Machine debuted there but I guess no one likes him enough to give poor Rhodey a page.
This is a tricky one, because "War Machine" debuted in 1992, but it was specifically a suit of armor that Tony Stark wore and called "The War Machine" and then Tony "died" and Jim Rhodes took the "War Machine" armor and was just "Iron Man" in a black and gray armor for about six months until Tony came back and Jim Rhodes first took on the superhero name "War Machine" in 1993.

And Jim Rhodes himself first appeared in 1979, and first appeared as Iron Man in 1983. So really any of these years would be kind of arbitrary, but probably better than the eighth or ninth Spider-Man page.

There was also a story about how they originally had it lined up with the Deadpool movie coming out in 2013 (as opposed to 2016, when it came out) and they realized the error after the majority of pages were already assigned/finished so they had to do some creative shuffling to have everything line up.

I generally agree it would have been better to have this be two separate projects, and to have at least one of them revamped/rethought significantly.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 29, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

the thing that made me laugh the hardest so far was having kareem abdul-jabbar write the jessica jones page and then having LITERALLY THE NEXT PAGE be kelly thompson writing someone else

Kareem just wrote on the last season of Veronica Mars, and he's a published mystery author, so having him write a Jessica Jones page wasn't completely random, and Kelly's written a lot of Elsa Bloodstone, and she got to do more Jeff the Landshark content.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

This is a tricky one, because "War Machine" debuted in 1992, but it was specifically a suit of armor that Tony Stark wore and called "The War Machine" and then Tony "died" and Jim Rhodes took the "War Machine" armor and was just "Iron Man" in a black and gray armor for about six months until Tony came back and Jim Rhodes first took on the superhero name "War Machine" in 1993.

as much as i love parlov punisher, having the debut of rhodey war machine wouldve been a good fit for '93 instead of "wolverine and punisher had a teamup mini this year"

howe_sam posted:

Kareem just wrote on the last season of Veronica Mars, and he's a published mystery author, so having him write a Jessica Jones page wasn't completely random, and Kelly's written a lot of Elsa Bloodstone, and she got to do more Jeff the Landshark content.

i didnt mean to imply that he's a bad writer, just that i found it hilarious that they canned her jj project (granted they canned the entire digital first line), then they didnt have her do the one single page for jj (they asked the artist back from her jj run though), and then to rub it in they stuck her in directly after the jj page

site fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 29, 2019

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I think Thompson wanted to do the Elsa page, implying she going to appear in her Deadpool run

https://twitter.com/79semifinalist/status/1166753453336477696?s=21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well i cant deny jeff is a good boy and elsa would probably be having none of wade's poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

And Jim Rhodes himself first appeared in 1979, and first appeared as Iron Man in 1983. So really any of these years would be kind of arbitrary, but probably better than the eighth or ninth Spider-Man page.

There was also a story about how they originally had it lined up with the Deadpool movie coming out in 2013 (as opposed to 2016, when it came out) and they realized the error after the majority of pages were already assigned/finished so they had to do some creative shuffling to have everything line up.

I generally agree it would have been better to have this be two separate projects, and to have at least one of them revamped/rethought significantly.

The cover of the first appearance has "War Machine" over the logo but wasn't it the "Variable Threat Response" suit until Rhodes officially took the WM name?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this page deserves some love

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
JMS' page was amusing if only because of him trashing Sins Past.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Luke Cage doesn’t even get his own page? Ice loving cold marvel.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There are a bunch of characters/teams/concepts that end up not getting their own page, Luke Cage is high on the list, but so are Namor, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thanos, Venom, Runaways, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Iron Fist, the Avengers, Defenders, Thunderbolts, New Mutants, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I get it because the project was clearly serving two masters:

1) Al Ewing had this idea and thought it would be fun, and wrote 20 pages setting up the Black Rider and the Infinity Mask
2) There were sixty other pages where they wanted to get a bunch of big names to contribute, mostly attached to characters they worked on in the past.

So if Phil Lord/Chris Miller, Gerry Conway, Brad Meltzer, Priest, Erik Larsen, Donny Cates, J. Scott Campbell, Jason Reynolds, Dan Slott, and JMS all say "cool, we want to do a Spider-Man themed page" who are you going to give 1962 to?

(as it turns out Lord/Miller got 1962, and Reynolds did a Miles Morales page which fits into the 2011 slot) but the other eight all got pushed into other years. Plus 1962 was also the year that Thor, Loki, Doctor Doom, the Hulk, and Rick Jones all debuted, who each got one or more pages devoted to them. So you find other tentpoles to stick things to: Spider-Man's black costume debuted in 1984, so you can stick on there! Except none of the people listed above want to write about the black costume. But also no one is doing any pages about Transformers, the Beyonder, or Power Pack, so 1984 is free.

Luke Cage debuted in 1972, but the 1972 page was given to Blade, who actually debuted in 1973.
But 1973's page is the Death of Gwen Stacy, which bumped the Punisher (who debuted in 1973) to 1975.
White Tiger debuted in 1975, but got slotted into 1976 because he didn't get his own series until a few months later. But the two White Tigers featured on the page first appeared in 2003 and 2011, respectively. And the White Tiger spun off from the group Sons of the Tiger, so conceptually the whole thing started in 1973, but as we have discussed, 1973 was taken.

All told only 35 of the 80 "years" match the first appearances of any of the characters mentioned, and of those 35 just under half (17) are the Al Ewing connective tissue pages.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The whole structure was a bit weird and mostly bound to be so. Obviously the events weren't evenly spaced out. Some years had lots of stuff, some less so.

As far as I recall there wasn't even a page for Squirrel Girl even though she's on the cover.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

No Squirrel Girl, no Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen, no Kamala Khan, no Thanos, and Colossus, Cyclops, and Nightcrawler only appear in a big group montage. And they're all on the cover.

Actually I just checked, Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl are both in the big panel of everyone fighting Fin Fang Foom on the X-23 page!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edge & Christian posted:

No Squirrel Girl, no Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen, no Kamala Khan, no Thanos, and Colossus, Cyclops, and Nightcrawler only appear in a big group montage. And they're all on the cover.

Actually I just checked, Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl are both in the big panel of everyone fighting Fin Fang Foom on the X-23 page!

At least Thanos got really nicely dunked on by Galactus on Ryan Norths page. A shepherd protecting his flock from the wolf without them needing to know is a cool visual metaphor for this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/whoisrico/status/1167047551683637248?s=19

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

There are a bunch of characters/teams/concepts that end up not getting their own page, Luke Cage is high on the list, but so are Namor, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thanos, Venom, Runaways, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Iron Fist, the Avengers, Defenders, Thunderbolts, New Mutants, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I get it because the project was clearly serving two masters:

1) Al Ewing had this idea and thought it would be fun, and wrote 20 pages setting up the Black Rider and the Infinity Mask
2) There were sixty other pages where they wanted to get a bunch of big names to contribute, mostly attached to characters they worked on in the past.

So if Phil Lord/Chris Miller, Gerry Conway, Brad Meltzer, Priest, Erik Larsen, Donny Cates, J. Scott Campbell, Jason Reynolds, Dan Slott, and JMS all say "cool, we want to do a Spider-Man themed page" who are you going to give 1962 to?

(as it turns out Lord/Miller got 1962, and Reynolds did a Miles Morales page which fits into the 2011 slot) but the other eight all got pushed into other years. Plus 1962 was also the year that Thor, Loki, Doctor Doom, the Hulk, and Rick Jones all debuted, who each got one or more pages devoted to them. So you find other tentpoles to stick things to: Spider-Man's black costume debuted in 1984, so you can stick on there! Except none of the people listed above want to write about the black costume. But also no one is doing any pages about Transformers, the Beyonder, or Power Pack, so 1984 is free.

Luke Cage debuted in 1972, but the 1972 page was given to Blade, who actually debuted in 1973.
But 1973's page is the Death of Gwen Stacy, which bumped the Punisher (who debuted in 1973) to 1975.
White Tiger debuted in 1975, but got slotted into 1976 because he didn't get his own series until a few months later. But the two White Tigers featured on the page first appeared in 2003 and 2011, respectively. And the White Tiger spun off from the group Sons of the Tiger, so conceptually the whole thing started in 1973, but as we have discussed, 1973 was taken.

All told only 35 of the 80 "years" match the first appearances of any of the characters mentioned, and of those 35 just under half (17) are the Al Ewing connective tissue pages.
I mean, they established pretty early on that they were going to use legacy characters to mark milestones.

Well, at least for the character who got bumped from their origin year they got a milestone usually related to either their origin (galactus, punisher), getting their own book (White Tiger), or the book they were introduced/starred in launched (Hulk, Loki, Dr. Strange). It's not like any of the dates were entirely aribrtary (except maybe the OMIT for Campbell's story - which doesn't even mention the story by name, so it just sounds weird).

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

What was the deepest pull in Marvel 1000? Was it Tessie the Typist?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Billzasilver posted:

What was the deepest pull in Marvel 1000? Was it Tessie the Typist?

Probably so, but considering the Enclave stuff is full of characters most people haven't heard of and it is the bulk of the book I'd have to add that as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tavarin posted:

JMS' page was amusing if only because of him trashing Sins Past.

Yeah that got a big laugh out of me. Don't know that I'd say I really enjoyed the overall experience of reading Marvel 1000, but some of the individual pages were cool, and the memoriam layout at the end was nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man - well, Mary Jane in this issue - remains a great read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s probably 80 things I could say about Marvel Comics #1000, but i’ll Just say I really enjoyed it, and I’d also kill anything that tries to hurt Jeff.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I guess as any anthology some things were gonna be good and some just OK. Overall I liked it, but in the end, some of the choices make me like it less than I wish I did like how is Cable and X-Force more important for 2013 than the first issue of Ms Marvel? or the whole Waid essay thing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
with the 616 being what it is i legit cant tell if this is a joke or not

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

with the 616 being what it is i legit cant tell if this is a joke or not

The retcon that said "after Steve Rogers was frozen, two other heroes became Captain America" also featured the guy who built the original Human Torch accidentally creating a super-robot that wanted to conquer the world so he replaced people with robot duplicates and William Naslund (Car 2) was killed preventing the robots from replacing a young JFK

I thought 3-D Man's early anti-Skrull career involved some politicians getting replaced but it doesn't seem one of them was JFK

Marvel has done a bunch of 'politicians get replaced' stories and this panel would fit right in, is what I'm getting at

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looking for an old post of me that’s very loving relevant today. Found it:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Immortal Hulk.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I've been very lucky to work with characters I like so far, but I still can't believe I have an Alpha Flight story out today!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Agents of Atlas is really good and I wish it was an ongoing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looking for an old post of me that’s very loving relevant today. Found it:

HULK. SNGASH.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you know, im regretting seeing the return of rachael cole-alves in punisher because of course rosenberg just had her immediately becoming a hostage. looking forward to watching her die to make franks fight against zemo more "dramatic"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I've been very lucky to work with characters I like so far, but I still can't believe I have an Alpha Flight story out today!

I can't seem to find it on Comixology! :argh:

Edit: I tried searching with google, it immediately comes up, but then the link says the content's not available. What the heck?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 4, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Got the Powerpack one shot today, it's a cute and fun read that's appropriate for all ages, until you remember how Kitty Pryde's phasing powers work and her and Wolverine's history with the brood and realize they murdered the gently caress out of those brood the moment the kids were away

I think Louise Simonson was editing X-Men during the first Brood saga so there's no way it was unintentional.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can't seem to find it on Comixology! :argh:

Edit: I tried searching with google, it immediately comes up, but then the link says the content's not available. What the heck?

I guess the issue had issues on Comixology, dialogue from my story ended up in Zub's apparently? I reckon that they took it down to fix and will be putting it back up shortly.

Edit: did a signing today with Ed and met this balloon-animal of Sasquatch, haha- https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ANydznj1u/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Ghost Spider annual was completely predictable, but I thought it pulled off the execution well enough that I didn't mind that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So it is in fact Rikki Barnes in future foundation

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like having Alex and Julie in the Foundation, although I do wonder where Jack and Katie are.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I was blown away by Absolute Carnage Symbiote Spider-Man #1. It barely ties into Absolute Carnage, which was fine by me, as the central tale of the tourist who was briefly Symbiote'd after it escaped the Baxter Building and White Rabbit was really compelling, with fantastic art from Mobili.

I really am digging the mix of Agents of Atlas too. The cast are such delightful goobers, making the book great fun, and this opening arc has a great hook and some nice swerves from what you'd expect. particularly with Isaac.

Future Foundation is wholesome AF. Apart from The Maker.

site posted:

you know, im regretting seeing the return of rachael cole-alves in punisher because of course rosenberg just had her immediately becoming a hostage. looking forward to watching her die to make franks fight against zemo more "dramatic"

Just want to mention that The Naked Gun style close range shooting and missing was incredible in this issue too, even allowing for comics. But yeah, boo to Rachel being a hostage. She'd better free herself, at minimum.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/Carabas_co_uk/status/1169710203798982663

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t believe they’re killing the Watcher again.