Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still cringing at the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

i still have avoided doing it so far because dammit fishing cable through the rear hatch, the hatch gasket and the headliner is a pita. ive had the parts for like a year.
The aftermarket hatch handle camera I want to use has been out of stock on Amazon for months :(

PaintVagrant posted:

You can upgrade a 2016 by swapping a 50 dollar part and flashing it, and I think its standard on 2017+. I upgraded my 2016.
Sync 2/MyFordTouch to Sync 3 involves replacing the entire display and APIM, definitely a lot more than $50 in parts (finding the APIM is really hard too, since car-part has listings for the display but not the computer module). It's still pretty much plug and play (a bit more work if you want nav), but I've been sitting on two displays with no APIMs for over a year now because just searching for the things is a pain in the rear end. I actually bought a USB can-bus adapter and have been trying in my free time to reverse engineer how it interacts with the rest of the car for the various controls that aren't available elsewhere so I could just rip the whole thing out and replace it with a Pi running Kodi or something.

You're thinking of the 2016 Sync 3 cars that shipped before Android Auto and CarPlay support were complete. For those a software update in early 2017 added the software clients and certain models (including FiST) required an upgrade to the 2017+ USB hub to support CarPlay because it had the special chip Apple requires.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 29, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BraveUlysses posted:

Had to explain to my GF the GTI we saw with a "I <3 VAG" sticker on the rear glass. I wouldn't be surprised if the car also had a shocker sticker above the exhaust, but I don't exactly remember.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

wolrah posted:

The aftermarket hatch handle camera I want to use has been out of stock on Amazon for months :(

Sync 2/MyFordTouch to Sync 3 involves replacing the entire display and APIM, definitely a lot more than $50 in parts (finding the APIM is really hard too, since car-part has listings for the display but not the computer module). It's still pretty much plug and play (a bit more work if you want nav), but I've been sitting on two displays with no APIMs for over a year now because just searching for the things is a pain in the rear end. I actually bought a USB can-bus adapter and have been trying in my free time to reverse engineer how it interacts with the rest of the car for the various controls that aren't available elsewhere so I could just rip the whole thing out and replace it with a Pi running Kodi or something.

You're thinking of the 2016 Sync 3 cars that shipped before Android Auto and CarPlay support were complete. For those a software update in early 2017 added the software clients and certain models (including FiST) required an upgrade to the 2017+ USB hub to support CarPlay because it had the special chip Apple requires.

Yeah you are right, its upgrading sync 3 to have carplay/etc. Sync 2 I assume has an entirely different head unit, my bad.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Me too needs more vibe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

Me too needs more vibe.

vibe gt body cladded for her pleasure

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't much care for the newer blue Ford used for the later FiSTs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i couldnt get blue :smithfrog:

and i wasnt getting the orange one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a lot darker. The launch blue is so bright and gorgeous.

<sigh>

If this were to theoretically happen it's gonna be black. But full upfront, I'm test driving a Lexus IS-F in about 90 minutes. That's still very high on my list of possible cars. HM letting me drive his RS kind of turned me back around to hot hatches so I need to get more drives down but if the ISF catches me it might be a done deal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is it the later model isf? Those were supposed to be quite good compared to the m3 of that era

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

Is it the later model isf? Those were supposed to be quite good compared to the m3 of that era

It's a 2010 with the aftermarket exhaust that allegedly opens it the gently caress up. I'm not sure of actual HP, he's claiming upwards of 450.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

It's a 2010 with the aftermarket exhaust that allegedly opens it the gently caress up. I'm not sure of actual HP, he's claiming upwards of 450.

I’d like to hear your impressions on the IS-F.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Posted over in the August thread but

quote:

First impression, i dont know how to use paddle shifters.

So the car was insanely good. Unreal power on demand, I hit it and was clocking 60 in what felt like a heartbeat. The exhaust was noticeable when the windows were down but the engine noise was kind of not a thing? Didn't really take any reckless turns so I cant really assess how it performs there. It was on aftermarket suspension but I didn't find out what make. Felt very good on the road, bumps didnt jar me much. I only had his lunch break to gently caress around so I didn't get to do too many crazy things.

As a drivers car, very cool. But man, the seating position was not great. I couldn't find a good spot that worked for me. Also the interior, while high quality was a bit dated but the car is 9 years old so not that odd. He also tells me this is not a cheap car to own. Yes it has Toyota reliability but when something needs replaced it isnt cheap. He said he has no regrets owning it but he's sunk a solid chunk of cash into it since he bought it new.
He also advised me to buy the newest model possible but 2013s are still running big bucks.

Overall it's a solid 9/10. I'm not sure if I'm a luxury muscle car guy but I wouldnt hate finding out.

Great car. Price on what I would want is a roadblock. Gotta drive some more STs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is your budget? You need to drive a GTI if you haven't already.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

god drat it i did it. ordered the ets intercooler for my RS. gently caress you labor day.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

god drat it i did it. ordered the ets intercooler for my RS. gently caress you labor day.

Yeah I’d be on that like a fly on poo poo if my finances weren’t so tight right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a little fluid and I have driven a few VWs. Not even a little interested, they just don't work for me.

Edit: I'd pretty much settled on an ISF without driving one. Now after driving the RS and an ISF I'm back to being undecided. It's funny that before, when I looked at those BMW 1s I couldn't actually afford it. Now that I have decent income i can't make up my mind.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 31, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Adjusting the parking brake adjusters works wonders for having a parking brake.

Vibe useless trivia fact of the day,

The digital odometer is limited to 299,999 miles.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 2, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the GTI is a bit dull

there's nothing wrong with it, it trades engagement for comfort, but it's certainly the most dull of the available fast hatches on the market today

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just ate a huge chunk of the face off one of my wheels on a curb that for some reason sticks out like a foot and a half from the drive through window at the McDonald's in Colby Kansas. Stoked!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

Just ate a huge chunk of the face off one of my wheels on a curb that for some reason sticks out like a foot and a half from the drive through window at the McDonald's in Colby Kansas. Stoked!

As if you needed another reason to avoid McDonald’s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

can i still post in here if i tune my new golf alltrack to ~240hp

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is that a stage 1 flash?

Back in April I bought a Cobb accessport from from stratified tuning

I just got around to flashing the custom ECU e-tune (kinda like an ots tune but they tweak it a bit for a lot better drivability and a bit more power than ots Cobb tunes) and their custom dsg tune.

It's so good. So so so so sooo much better than the Cobb tune.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

As if you needed another reason to avoid McDonald’s.

I typically do unless I'm on the road.

Is that repairable or do I just need to grab a "new" wheel? I still have a couple months before I turn it in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do you happen to know the model number or whatever for that rim? I’ve been meaning to replace one or two of mine that I’ve acquainted with a curb.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I'm kinda in the same boat here although nowhere near as noticeable as yours. I just curbed my rim for the first time in a long time (two previous cars had a perfect track record). If anyone has any recommendations for shops that can refinish a rim in Orlando I'd much appreciate it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
There's very likely a shop near you that does wheel powder coating, painting, and repair of minor curb rash. That doesn't look too bad, although I'm not sure if the finish is bare metal or a paint. You might try looking around for that.

Anecdotally: I had a set of 5zigen FN01R-Cs on my 240sx 13ish years ago that I curbed while parallel parking at a gf's house. Long story short, I found a shop in Houston that somehow touched up the chips in the paint or powdercoat finish and fixed them up to a point where I could not find the damage when looking for it. I think I paid $200, maybe?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I hurt one of my wheels that bad a few months ago. They're aftermarket and not a normal colour so I was hesitant about taking them to a shop, but I got it done at one that even matches paint codes of aftermarket wheels. $125 and it looks brand new. I'm sure a wheel shop could take care of it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the GTI is a bit dull

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

can i still post in here if i tune my new golf alltrack to ~240hp

I don't understand your progression here, but to each their own. It's the same car with a less sporty suspension, bigger boot and smaller engine.

Warbird posted:

Do you happen to know the model number or whatever for that rim? I’ve been meaning to replace one or two of mine that I’ve acquainted with a curb.

17 sport rim, a one year only special (I believe) so that should be fun to source cheaply. Buy a set off the forum (don't think they're particularly popular and people swap them for aftermarket) and split them with this goon. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Skipopatomus posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat here although nowhere near as noticeable as yours. I just curbed my rim for the first time in a long time (two previous cars had a perfect track record). If anyone has any recommendations for shops that can refinish a rim in Orlando I'd much appreciate it.

Quick search for wheel refinishing in Orlando came up with this http://www.dr-rim.com/

You might be able to find a few more besides that one.

Also since you're an Orlando goon you should post in the LAN: Your City Sucks Florida thread :)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

fknlo posted:

Only one wheel? Be a completionist like me and do all four over 18 months. Not even sure I'm going to bother getting them repaired or replaced,even though it hasn't happened in quite a while.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't understand your progression here, but to each their own. It's the same car with a less sporty suspension, bigger boot and smaller engine.

i have a M5 if i want to go fast, and i needed something more practical that i could drive in the snow, with more space in the back than the ST

edit: the alltrack is definitely dull! that's what i was going for

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i have a M5 if i want to go fast, and i needed something more practical that i could drive in the snow, with more space in the back than the ST

Makes sense.

I'd probably be in an alltrack if it had more cabin space (seems to share same dimensions as a GTI in the front and rear seats) than a GTI. I like dis dull car.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Quick search for wheel refinishing in Orlando came up with this http://www.dr-rim.com/

You might be able to find a few more besides that one.

Also since you're an Orlando goon you should post in the LAN: Your City Sucks Florida thread :)

I called three places last week, Dr Rim was the only one that answered, I think I'm going to check them out once Dorian blows over

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Picked up a 2015 FiST about 6 months ago and I couldn't be happier. I've already gone as far as I can with the stock turbo so I'm eyeing a turbo upgrade. I love this little car.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

quote:

alltrack talk

Dude I work with has a buddy that owns a high end tuning shop. He somehow managed to snag the engine from an Audi rs8 and dropped it into a standard looking alltrack. Zero visible changes sans a small lowering from the shocks and whatnot he added.

He just goes around town blowing the doors off of Microsoft yuppies in their Porsche and BMW in a 600+hp sleeper VW

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

Dude I work with has a buddy that owns a high end tuning shop. He somehow managed to snag the engine from an Audi rs8 and dropped it into a standard looking alltrack. Zero visible changes sans a small lowering from the shocks and whatnot he added.

He just goes around town blowing the doors off of Microsoft yuppies in their Porsche and BMW in a 600+hp sleeper VW

lmao that owns

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the emissions situation like up in WA? Standalone ECUs pass or is it strict?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the emissions situation like up in WA? Standalone ECUs pass or is it strict?

Totally depends on the county. I live in whatcom and have never had to deal with it. I know people in King and it's a weird thing that needs to get done, but they relax the standards the older your car is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Roundup Ready posted:

Wow the engine from an RS8, that’s gotta be rare, like impossibly rare. And for it to fit into a tightly packaged 2.0 TSI engine bay so easily, wow!