Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finally got around to reading Sex Criminals v4 and v5. Either I took too long to read v4 after v3 or the way the story went just took itself too seriously for a handful of issues and started to lose its appeal to me. Still enjoyed the material, but didn't really like where it found its final arc.

Now I join the rest waiting to find out if the last 5 issues ever get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I really enjoyed the early issues but near the end I think it went up its own rear end a bit (a pun I can't believe didn't get used in the comic itself). Still interested to read the final issues. Apparently the trade paperback for the final volume has been set for end of December... of 2020.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Loved the end of Wicdiv, even if I was a bit past being ready for it to be over. The last arc ran a bit long, in my opinion, but I love how it wrapped up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Loved the end of Wicdiv, even if I was a bit past being ready for it to be over. The last arc ran a bit long, in my opinion, but I love how it wrapped up.

Okay, best independent Maxi-series?

Sandman and Lucifer are definitely top 5, Preacher probably is in there, maybe Planetary. Y: The Last Man is also probably top 5.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Neither Sandman nor Lucifer is independent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Neither Sandman nor Lucifer is independent.

I know Vertigo is Big Two, I just meant something self contained and not part of the main universes for a big comic. Everything else I mentioned is also technically owned or published by DC.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've got a lot of love for The Unwritten.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

cptn_dr posted:

I've got a lot of love for The Unwritten.

As you should. It's brilliant.
But like Sandman and Lucifer, it too is Vertigo/DC.
And that doesn't matter.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
A bunch of comic writers, Gillen included, have hinted that McKelvie has something brewing so watch this space I guess?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Sandman and Lucifer are definitely top 5, Preacher probably is in there, maybe Planetary. Y: The Last Man is also probably top 5.

Giant Days, which is also wrapping up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

Lucifer v1, closely followed by The Unwritten.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cloks posted:

Yeah Giant Days is really lovely. I don't know if the entire constellation of Love & Rockets titles would count for this. I think also that if I'm being real, I think Bone is a vastly better comic than a lot of the Vertigo stuff suggested here, even though I'm really fond of a lot of those too. On a similar note of kid's/young adult comics that I think are just exquisitely done either way, I think Linda Medley's Castle Waiting and, as it stands, Lumberjanes, have a ton going on to commend them.

Not as serial, but I think if I was really making a list I'd also to give some space for anthology stuff like Julie Doucet's Dirty Plotte or Roberta Gregory's Naughty Bits, maybe Eightball, almost definitely Acme Novelty Library. I guess I'd draw the line at Dykes to Watch Out For which is great but I'd really be stretching "maxi-series" to its breaking point.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 5, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I know Vertigo is Big Two, I just meant something self contained and not part of the main universes for a big comic. Everything else I mentioned is also technically owned or published by DC.
The difference is that Sandman (and Lucifer, by virtue of being a spin-off) and Planetary are properties owned by DC/Warner, and even include characters from their greater universes. Any work done with these is work-for-hire, no different than Batman. By contrast, I'm *fairly* certain Preacher and Y (and The Unwritten, probably?) are owned by their respective creators who have publishing agreements with DC, much like when comics are published through Image.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but there's a Red Sonja Humble Bundle.

Is this worth picking up?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

It would have to be Moonshadow for me, no doubt.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

My apologies for voicing a taxonomic quibble, but is Planetary really independent given it formed part of WildStorm? Yeah, sure, for the most part it did its own thing, but it still has references to the High, Jenny Sparks appears, Elijah Snow is a century baby, and the Bleed is a major plot-point. But yeah, that aside, I'd put Planetary in my top 5 easily. But if despite its qualifications Planetary does qualify as independent, I'd put Sleeper up there as well - Brubaker does noir really well, and WildStorm was a great setting for super-powered noir.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How many issues was Sleeper? Because now we're running into what you call a Maxi-series, I think 24 issues has to be the bare minimum.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Artelier posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but there's a Red Sonja Humble Bundle.

Is this worth picking up?

The Gail Simone and Amy Chu runs are a lot of fun (the latter is esepcially shocking given the high concept sounds like a trainwreck: Red Sonja IN MODERN DAY NYC!). Haven't caught up with the Mark Russell run. The old Marvel reprints are also enjoyable as long as you like Roy Thomas.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/LlcTerrific/status/1170698865424494595?s=19

This twitter is literally just one man's slow mental breakdown in the form of a comic company buying a practically dead intellectual property.

Technically, an indie comic now that its owned by someone other than Image.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

This twitter is literally just one man's slow mental breakdown in the form of a comic company buying a practically dead intellectual property.

I think everything Image published was creator owned, that's why McFarlane was in a long time lawsuit with Neil Gaiman over characters Gaiman created for the couple issues of Spawn he wrote, that ended up with Marvel getting the rights to Angela.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

Image doesn't own anything they publish. Everything published by Image is independent.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

I think everything Image published was creator owned, that's why McFarlane was in a long time lawsuit with Neil Gaiman over characters Gaiman created for the couple issues of Spawn he wrote, that ended up with Marvel getting the rights to Angela.

Endless Mike posted:

Image doesn't own anything they publish. Everything published by Image is independent.

Fair enough. Good to know. Wonder what that means for a few comics they made that I like that faded into the ether? Probably nothing. Most people move on after a failed project. Still, good to know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Fair enough. Good to know. Wonder what that means for a few comics they made that I like that faded into the ether? Probably nothing. Most people move on after a failed project. Still, good to know.

It means the people who made those comics likely still own the rights, so if they wanted to make more of them there isn't a legal barrier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It means the people who made those comics likely still own the rights, so if they wanted to make more of them there isn't a legal barrier.

No, I got that. But, chances are, no one is going to make more of Flavor and Isola since they clearly sold too little, unfortunately.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Aw man did Isola get canceled?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

GrandpaPants posted:

Aw man did Isola get canceled?

Did it? gently caress. I loved the first volume.

Edit: just saw this tweet saying the next issue is due out this week.

https://twitter.com/breathingcomics/status/1170305772137435136

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cloks posted:

I've read the last two issues and as an ending, a few parts of it were kind of underwhelming?

Daisy ran herself ragged trying to find who's been targeting her with pranks, while Esther and Susan stood by being unsupportive. Daisy finds the culprit, who admits she succeeded in ruining Daisy's last week at uni...and they just get away with it. It just feels like it ends Daisy's arc in a whimper.

Esther gets forgiven by Emilia for the whole "siding with Susan when she stole my boyfriend" incident. It's a nice moment with Esther saying they should keep in touch. But once Emilia's out of earshot, Esther informs Ed that the two of them will never speak to each other again. It's depressing since I liked Emilia and thought she got unfairly shafted.

And I just find it weird how the whole thing with Ken Lord ends. We've been shown he's a sex creep who tried to get Esther drunk enough to sleep with him. It's implied he does this a lot. So his last appearance being a jokey "haha look how Ed's dad is boring him!" leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

blast0rama posted:

Did it? gently caress. I loved the first volume.

Edit: just saw this tweet saying the next issue is due out this week.

https://twitter.com/breathingcomics/status/1170305772137435136

Phew, I thought it was canceled.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

I've read the last two issues and as an ending, a few parts of it were kind of underwhelming?

There's still an epilogue coming but I don't think it'll address those plot points. It works for me because it's true to how college was - things happen and it seems like they're incredibly important, life-or-death situations but then college just ends, and even without resolution or satisfaction, these things no longer matter. It's not the most satisfying thing in a fictional narrative but it makes sense to me.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've only read two volumes of Giant Days since learning it was written by the creator of Scary Go Round.

So it just sort of peters out in an indie film/slice of life story story arc? That's not to say its bad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Andrigaar posted:

I've only read two volumes of Giant Days since learning it was written by the creator of Scary Go Round.

So it just sort of peters out in an indie film/slice of life story story arc? That's not to say its bad.

It don't fully think we can say it peters out, especially since they end on a cliffhanger that's going to be resolved in the finale.

It remains good to the end, in my opinion. Heck, it won an Eisner!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cloks posted:

There's still an epilogue coming but I don't think it'll address those plot points. It works for me because it's true to how college was - things happen and it seems like they're incredibly important, life-or-death situations but then college just ends, and even without resolution or satisfaction, these things no longer matter. It's not the most satisfying thing in a fictional narrative but it makes sense to me.

Yeah, I get what you mean there. It's still a nice ending to the series, even if I didn't like how the stuff I mentioned was handled.

Andrigaar posted:

It's a story about Esther and friend's time in college and how they grow up, so I thought it's always been a slice-of-life. Don't get me wrong, the series is still fun and good and it's definitely worth sticking to the end. I just wasn't a fan of a few elements of the ending. :shobon:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'll agree the Ken Lord thing was and is very weird. I don't know about academic life in the UK as much but ime while tenured professors can get away with a lot of poo poo they can't get away with, his behavior in that first issue with the dinner party would have been a scandal. It also felt off that Alison never does really bring him to task for it whereas a lot of his other more recent work is very karmically tidy in a lot of ways.

My only hunch is that that issue-- 29 I think?-- was a deliberately anachronistic pastiche of the hyper-sexist "campus novel" of the mid-20th century, where the protagonists were all guys like Ken Lord full of self-pity and floppy grandeur, and all of them had 19 y/o girlfriends they hated and wives that they really hated. Hence the little nod to "Kingsley-Amis-chic" in regards to Esther's sharp duds in that issue? Ditto Ken's laughably on-the-nose little cravat and pin. But this of course is just me trying to make justifications for an iffy decision in a series I otherwise liked tremendously.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

How many issues was Sleeper? Because now we're running into what you call a Maxi-series, I think 24 issues has to be the bare minimum.

24 - it's just in. It's really good. Relatedly, I wish Brubaker and Phillips would finish Incognito. I love their straight crime noir but I'd like some more supes/pulp-influenced work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I want more issues of Velvet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I'll agree the Ken Lord thing was and is very weird. I don't know about academic life in the UK as much but ime while tenured professors can get away with a lot of poo poo they can't get away with, his behavior in that first issue with the dinner party would have been a scandal. It also felt off that Alison never does really bring him to task for it whereas a lot of his other more recent work is very karmically tidy in a lot of ways.

My only hunch is that that issue-- 29 I think?-- was a deliberately anachronistic pastiche of the hyper-sexist "campus novel" of the mid-20th century, where the protagonists were all guys like Ken Lord full of self-pity and floppy grandeur, and all of them had 19 y/o girlfriends they hated and wives that they really hated. Hence the little nod to "Kingsley-Amis-chic" in regards to Esther's sharp duds in that issue? Ditto Ken's laughably on-the-nose little cravat and pin. But this of course is just me trying to make justifications for an iffy decision in a series I otherwise liked tremendously.

It's even weirder because his first appearance was in a side story of Bad Machinery where Ryan invited Mrs. Lord and her husband over for dinner. They did talk about how Ken and his wife met ages ago where he was her college professor, but Ken seemed harmless and a decent person then, not to mention he and his wife seemed happy together. So it's extremely jarring that Ken in Giant Days becomes this creep who cheats on his wife because she's on a trip and would get students drunk so they'd sleep with him.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Picked up Vampirella/Red Sonja #1 and was surprised to read a pretty fun comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Remember John/Roc Upchurch? The original Rat Queens artist, disgraced after it came out that he beat his wife?

Someone at Image thought this was a good idea:
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lucy-claire-redemption-1

quote:

LUCY CLAIRE: REDEMPTION #1
Lucy Claire was once a celebrated hero. But through a series of sinister events, she was slandered and defamed, and her children were taken from her. But when an old danger re-emerges, Lucy will have to take on the mantle of hero once again in order to right the wrongs of her past and—above all else—find a way back to her children.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That didn't last long

https://twitter.com/TheKirkFM/status/1175201872036057088?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Was there any great stuff in there?