Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

Which makes the RS6 Avant price premium even more ridiculous.

They’ll sell tens and tens of them. Over the life of the model.

I wonder if it’s just a weird flex by Audi in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's not a profit-motivated decision if that's what you're trying to figure out

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

Okay, it’s neat having a wagon, but $40-45k more neat? Same applies to the E63 wagon.

This is what I struggle with. Hopefully they'll bring the regular Avant over again. Otherwise we'll just get the Mercedes. gently used, 2 years old.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I bought a D2 S8 a year ago. For some reason I've started dreaming about the W12 with air suspension. It would be a lot smoother ride, with even more power and faster acceleration. D3 W12's aren't that expensive here in Europe.

Any tips on how to get rid of stupid ideas like buying a W12? The engines actually are very reliable so that won't be a problem. Older models have regular port injection and single stage intake manifold (no flaps). Spark plugs, water pump and thermostat are easy to change etc. Only hard parts are lambda sensors and the timing chain setup between engine and transmission.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 6, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think anyone has ever devised a reliable air suspension and if it's happened my money is not on our friends in Ingolstadt.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think anyone has ever devised a reliable air suspension and if it's happened my money is not on our friends in Ingolstadt.

The air compressor has a part that commonly fails, but it's not expensive and that part is fairly easy to replace on the compressor itself. Unfortunately it's inside the transmission and the labor cost is 7 grand.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oh heh I completely forgot the air suspension. Problems with sensors, water inside the system, wet silica or whatever that is, corroded pressure canisters, pump problems, leaking bags... Etc. Well the problems and solutions are quite easy, the only problem is that original parts are like 1000€/strut and nothing is cheap.

But they say the ride is worth it anyways. My S8 has extra hard sports suspension, regular iron springs. It is quite rough compared to the softer suspension I have in my A6, for example.

I have a good mechanic and the only which can't be done "easily enough" is resleeving the W12 block.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 6, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you have a shop with a lift and a couple grand worth of special tools I say go for it!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

A video filled with nightmares: https://youtu.be/ihUAMnRahuo

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

fknlo posted:

The air compressor has a part that commonly fails, but it's not expensive and that part is fairly easy to replace on the compressor itself. Unfortunately it's inside the transmission

Excuse me what the gently caress?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

willroc7 posted:

Excuse me what the gently caress?

That's not an actual thing, but the thing where it's entirely believable because of superior German engineering is what counts.

There is some car out there where the reverse sensor or something like that regularly fails and is in the transmission for some insane reason. I can't remember what car it is though.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

$112k.

I want the S6 TDI Avant

Crazy money for what they are.

I have an A6 3-litre biturbo diesel. 320bhp, 8-speed auto, Quattro. The RS6 is literally twice the price, but i really can't see it being twice the car. I know the RS6 has every bit of tech imaginable crammed in, a fiercely powerful engine and all but they're £110k here. The original RS6 topped out at i think £58k in 2003.

The BiTDI has a good balance of performance, comfort and economy. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 180mph, 39mpg. (Imperial gallons, @ 80mph.)

Ihmemies posted:

Any tips on how to get rid of stupid ideas like buying a W12?

Buy a V10 S8 instead. They make a beautiful noise.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 7, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Crazy money for what they are.

I have an A6 3-litre biturbo diesel. 320bhp, 8-speed auto, Quattro. The RS6 is literally twice the price, but i really can't see it being twice the car. I know the RS6 has every bit of tech imaginable crammed in, a fiercely powerful engine and all but they're £110k here. The original RS6 topped out at i think £58k in 2003.

The BiTDI has a good balance of performance, comfort and economy. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 180mph, 39mpg. (Imperial gallons, @ 80mph.)

Yeah, I would've killed for the availability of the C6 TDI Avant in the US. A little aged, but I love the 5 cylinder AEL. I have the Q7 TDI, and I love the motor, but the 2010 6 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I would've killed for the availability of the C6 TDI Avant in the US. A little aged, but I love the 5 cylinder AEL. I have the Q7 TDI, and I love the motor, but the 2010 6 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Sucks you didn't get the Avant. Odd that you guys miss out on stuff like that, not just individual engines but entire chassis types. Mine is a 2016 Avant, i couldn't go back to a saloon after having wagons for years. I don't get why the BiTDI was only put in the A6, A7 and SQ5 though. (And the Porsche Macan.) It would've been good in the Q7 as a bridge between the normal 3.0 and the 4.2 TDIs and in the A8s too.

I'm glad mine has the ZF 8-speed, it's silky smooth and the shifts are lightning fast.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Sucks you didn't get the Avant. Odd that you guys miss out on stuff like that, not just individual engines but entire chassis types. Mine is a 2016 Avant, i couldn't go back to a saloon after having wagons for years. I don't get why the BiTDI was only put in the A6, A7 and SQ5 though. (And the Porsche Macan.) It would've been good in the Q7 as a bridge between the normal 3.0 and the 4.2 TDIs and in the A8s too.

I'm glad mine has the ZF 8-speed, it's silky smooth and the shifts are lightning fast.

Yup, I have a 5000 Quattro Avant, the Type44 chassis. We did get the 200 Avant in the US, but only with the 3B.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, I have a 5000 Quattro Avant, the Type44 chassis. We did get the 200 Avant in the US, but only with the 3B.

Cool collection! It's unusual how few euro wagons you guys get. And your import laws suck too.

Wagons own. Strangely i don't think the boot (trunk) in my C7 is actually any bigger than that of my MK4 Golf wagon, despite the car being the same size as a small cruise ship. Only another 500 years to go until it's paid off..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Cool collection! It's unusual how few euro wagons you guys get. And your import laws suck too.

Wagons own. Strangely i don't think the boot (trunk) in my C7 is actually any bigger than that of my MK4 Golf wagon, despite the car being the same size as a small cruise ship. Only another 500 years to go until it's paid off..

Yeah, the Q7 is WAY WAY bigger than I wanted, but was priced really well, and is heavy enough/efficient enough to tow my other Audis when needed. And its easy enough for me to fix.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Any A7 (or hotter) owners here? Seems like in the US you can get a sedan with a hatch or suv, but not the thing in the middle which is a wagon. I really dif the a7 for some reason.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

That's not an actual thing, but the thing where it's entirely believable because of superior German engineering is what counts.

There is some car out there where the reverse sensor or something like that regularly fails and is in the transmission for some insane reason. I can't remember what car it is though.

I don't know if it's a regular thing, but I've heard this happening to the 7 speed 991 911. That German engineering. :suicide:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They can't seem to put the engine in the right place either on the 911.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Residency Evil posted:

I don't know if it's a regular thing, but I've heard this happening to the 7 speed 991 911. That German engineering. :suicide:

I remember when the 991 first came out, there was a video walking you through replacing the air filter.

It required removing the bumper cover, among other things.

I don't have good luck with body clips, so it didn't look like a fun job.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm confused as to why people in *this thread* don't realize that in order to own a 911, of any generation, you need to have a lift and be handy or hate money.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

attention volkswagen

please do not use the same chime for 'low tire pressure' to notify me of 'low wiper fluid'

thanks in advance

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

attention volkswagen

please do not use the same chime for 'low tire pressure' to notify me of 'low wiper fluid'

thanks in advance

Yeah even on my MKV GTI the low wiper fluid thing fucks me up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The best is when you're in that range where it's splashing on the sensor so it lights up and dings every couple minutes.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Don't use wiper fluid?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fknlo posted:

The best is when you're in that range where it's splashing on the sensor so it lights up and dings every couple minutes.

yeah ask me about my errands yesterday

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah even on my MKV GTI the low wiper fluid thing fucks me up.

My sensor was broken, so I got an alert that would flash every few seconds for years with the exact same urgency as a low fuel alert.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think it's just a open/closed loop sorta sensor so if you spliced the sensor wires together to close the loop it would have stopped alarming!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Etrips posted:

Don't use wiper fluid?

Fairly easy in summer, not so much in winter. I swear I've had trips into the mountains in winter where I've used half the reservoir trying to keep the windshield even mildly clean.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Last brake job I did on my MKV GTI the sensor connector just kinda turned to dust when I unplugged it.
I've been meaning to get under and splice it together so the light on the dash goes away but:effort:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I remember when the 991 first came out, there was a video walking you through replacing the air filter.

It required removing the bumper cover, among other things.

I don't have good luck with body clips, so it didn't look like a fun job.

SERVICE

POSITION

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

SERVICE

POSITION
how this is not already in the thread title is beyond me

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Thumposaurus posted:

Last brake job I did on my MKV GTI the sensor connector just kinda turned to dust when I unplugged it.
I've been meaning to get under and splice it together so the light on the dash goes away but:effort:

Code it out with Vag-Com. Don't even have to get dirty.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Deviant posted:

attention volkswagen

thanks in advance

Yeah this, where the single chime of low petrol or service due soon is exactly the same as the three chimes of oil pressure low or coolant/oil level warning

What's worse is the same tone/pitch sometimes crops up in a song and instills the same oh gently caress what now response even when I'm not in the car

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
All right I got a dumb question about a B7 S4:

A little while ago, my windshield wipers and washers intermittently stopped working. No real rhyme or reason to it that I could tell. Some taps of the stalk they’d work for a few minutes, and sometimes they wouldn’t.

I read that there are no relays or fuses for the wipers in the B7’s electrical architecture and that the stalk is wired straight to the CECM under the dash, which is then wired straight to the wiper motor and washer pump.

I took it to my mechanic since wiring troubleshooting is something that I’m not especially comfortable with. His diagnosis is that the CECM itself is faulty and is receiving a signal from the stalk, but isn’t outputting any signal to the wipers or pump.

It looks like a new CECM is less than $400 but the price he quoted to me to replace it is over twice that. Given that the actual module is fairly easy to access, the only thing stopping me from ordering one and doing it myself is concerns over the programming of the new module. I can’t find a straight answer as to whether or not a brand new unit will require being programmed to the car. Instinct tells me it should but I’ve heard or read that it could be preprogrammed or plug-and-play, which seems unlikely. But it would make doing it myself the obvious route if it’s actually true. Otherwise, at the very least, I have to find a way/spend the money to have it programmed once I put the new module in.

Anyone have any experience with this or know the answer for certain? I’m not naive enough to own an old Audi and not be prepared to spend painful amounts of money on it, but I’d still prefer to save the extra $500 for the next breakdown by handling it myself, if I can.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd bet money it needs programmed (but I can't confirm, just my gut). Might call the service department of the local dealer and ask and maybe get a quote?

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
Dumb question about my '13 Beetle Turbo (Gen1 CBFA)

It's throwing a P2015 code. I checked the part number on the intake manifold that's currently on my car and its an 06J133185ES, which I'm guessing is a really early version. Apparently the latest revision is 06J133201BH. Some sites selling the manifold make reference to also need an updated fuel rail (06J133317AB) if your car has one of the older style intake manifolds. Other sites just show the new part number as compatible with all years of the 5C beetles. Does anyone know if I absolutely need to replace the fuel rail as well? I would be doing the R&R and it would add another $200+ to the project that would be great to avoid if I can. Would it be dumb to consider trying to repair it if there seems to be just a "minor" problem with the actuator?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I had a 2010 GTI with the CBFA that I replaced the stock intake with that new revision and had no problems with reusing the fuel rail. I got mine from DAP along with this install kit (https://www.shopdap.com/intake-manifold-install-kit-for-2-0t-tsi.html) because the updated manifold had a port my original did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinder posted:

Dumb question about my '13 Beetle Turbo (Gen1 CBFA)

It's throwing a P2015 code. I checked the part number on the intake manifold that's currently on my car and its an 06J133185ES, which I'm guessing is a really early version. Apparently the latest revision is 06J133201BH. Some sites selling the manifold make reference to also need an updated fuel rail (06J133317AB) if your car has one of the older style intake manifolds. Other sites just show the new part number as compatible with all years of the 5C beetles. Does anyone know if I absolutely need to replace the fuel rail as well? I would be doing the R&R and it would add another $200+ to the project that would be great to avoid if I can. Would it be dumb to consider trying to repair it if there seems to be just a "minor" problem with the actuator?

You should be able to keep the fuel rail, but I'm willing to bet the swirl flaps have fallen apart, better just to replace. Its a known issue.