Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
JCVD is the closest thing to a real life Street Fighter character. Bloodsport and Lionheart are basically Street Fighter movies, and then he starred in the Street Fighter movie. He's also a Tekken character because he killed a guy in a mascot costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

in the hotel fight scene when they accidentally break into the room where a couple are having sex, the woman is loving the man from behind. It’s such a campy, fun movie.

How....how have I never noticed this? I've seen Commando like half a dozen times!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How....how have I never noticed this? I've seen Commando like half a dozen times!

It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it gag. As soon as they break through the wall, you see a woman with massive fake breasts pegging a dude on a bed, they jump out of fear, and then the scene progresses as if the couple were never there.

Basebf555 posted:

The jungle setting really makes First Blood II, I watched the trilogy recently and I was really missing that in Part III. The desert just wasn't as eye-catching and had me bored during the non-action scenes.

It's a great setting. I just wish there was a more sinister force besides the people giving commands over radio signals.

Halloween Jack posted:

JCVD is the closest thing to a real life Street Fighter character. Bloodsport and Lionheart are basically Street Fighter movies, and then he starred in the Street Fighter movie. He's also a Tekken character because he killed a guy in a mascot costume.

Absolutely. Lionheart is the best of these, because you get distinctive fighting styles and costumes. Also, the hype-man character, Joshua, is better than Ray Jackson. Bolo Yueng is arguably more sinister than Moustafa, even though the Moustafa fight is waaaaay better.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Missing in Action 2 has a good sinister Vietnamese enemy in the jungle

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Honestly I think the final fight is the weakest one. Moustafa's gimmick is that he's so strong he can make your punches weaker by playing hot hands with you. It is still better than the Bolo Yeung fight, but I think the parking garage fight is the best one in Lionheart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Honestly I think the final fight is the weakest one. Moustafa's gimmick is that he's so strong he can make your punches weaker by playing hot hands with you. It is still better than the Bolo Yeung fight, but I think the parking garage fight is the best one in Lionheart.

The parking garage fight is great, but Lionheart's final battle has one of the most effective slow claps I've seen in years.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Doesn't Rambo 2 have that awesome but where he's hiding in, like, a vertical mudwall and then pops out to kill a dude?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

The parking garage fight is great, but Lionheart's final battle has one of the most effective slow claps I've seen in years.
Just rewatched it and I've changed my mind. I love how he turns the whole fight around because he remembers that Attila's thing is punching super good, and his thing is kicking super good, and he's wearing hiking boots, so he should kick. Then his evil girlfriend gets so mad at him that her breasts won't stop heaving.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Narzack posted:

Doesn't Rambo 2 have that awesome but where he's hiding in, like, a vertical mudwall and then pops out to kill a dude?

The Rock also does that with a sand waterfall in the scorpion king :getin:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Just rewatched it and I've changed my mind. I love how he turns the whole fight around because he remembers that Attila's thing is punching super good, and his thing is kicking super good, and he's wearing hiking boots, so he should kick. Then his evil girlfriend gets so mad at him that her breasts won't stop heaving.

Plus the scene being punctuated by Joshua saying "Don't you know he's gonna kill yo rear end?!" on loop. It's just all types of awesome hype.

"Wrong... bet!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Narzack posted:

Yes, his eyes open first and then he gets the guy. It's a very cool visual.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it gag. As soon as they break through the wall, you see a woman with massive fake breasts pegging a dude on a bed, they jump out of fear, and then the scene progresses as if the couple were never there.

That scene also rules because it’s the perfect distillation of how smart-dumb the screenplay is.

Bill Duke: gently caress you, rear end in a top hat! (PUNCH)

Arnold: gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat! (BIGGER PUNCH)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Splint Chesthair posted:

That scene also rules because it’s the perfect distillation of how smart-dumb the screenplay is.

My favorite is Rae Dawn Chong, about 15 feet away from Arnold when he drops DPK, asks “what happened to Sully?” She saw what happened, she’s just setting up the punchline. Commando rules.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, his eyes open first and then he gets the guy. It's a very cool visual.

That moment has stuck in my mind since I was a little kid and caught that scene(terrifying at the time) on TV

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Splint Chesthair posted:

They nailed Internet Arguments a decade early.

Narzack posted:

That moment has stuck in my mind since I was a little kid and caught that scene(terrifying at the time) on TV

Same here bud.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Franchescanado posted:

:stare: Commando is the gift that keeps on giving.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Stick around.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
One of the things I like about classic Arnie movies, is that he's always supposed to play a REAL AMERICAN HERO and, like, no one ever comments on the fact that he's a walking muscle mutant with this thick accent. Even better in stuff like True Lies or Jingle All the Way, where he's this nebbish family man, but still hilariously muscled and with his accent

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Commando is one of my go-to pick-me-up movies, it’s outrageously stupid but also a perfect showcase of why Arnold was so good in his prime. He was a massive slab of beef with good comedy chops, with the entire movie set up to show all that off. My personal favorite bit is something SMG once pointed out, in the hotel fight scene when they accidentally break into the room where a couple are having sex, the woman is loving the man from behind. It’s such a campy, fun movie.

The best gag in Commando is when Matrix is wandering round yelling 'Jenny' and we see some soldier just smoking a cigar, waiting his turn. It confirms that, yeah, these dudes do just sit around waiting to be shot.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Narzack posted:

One of the things I like about classic Arnie movies, is that he's always supposed to play a REAL AMERICAN HERO and, like, no one ever comments on the fact that he's a walking muscle mutant with this thick accent. Even better in stuff like True Lies or Jingle All the Way, where he's this nebbish family man, but still hilariously muscled and with his accent

Even Total Recall kind of does this. The character intro for him plays it like he's this regular joe construction worker who feels unsatisfied with his life, despite the fact that he looks like a 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger and is married to a 1990 Sharon Stone. It's always amazing. Sometimes JCVD gets the justification of being cajun or a French immigrant to the US or something, but Arnold is just presented as is most of the time.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
At least his nickname was "Dutch" in Predator

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even if everything else about Commando was bad the part in the mall where a bunch of cops pile on top of Arnold but then he stands up and they are all blown away would still make it one of the single greatest movies ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcSXHU0zktM

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I will always watch Jingle all the way when it gets shown on tv around christmas time. such an underated arnold movie.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Even if everything else about Commando was bad the part in the mall where a bunch of cops pile on top of Arnold but then he stands up and they are all blown away would still make it one of the single greatest movies ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcSXHU0zktM

Him shaking the phonebooth is pretty good, too.

Slaapaav posted:

I will always watch Jingle all the way when it gets shown on tv around christmas time. such an underated arnold movie.

Yeah, I think it's actually pretty funny. "Liz, these COOKIES."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

One of my favorite running gags of 80s-90s cinema is how many stock American White Guy names Arnold was given. He’s been John, Doug, Ben, Harry, Alex, Howard and Adam. In Raw Deal his name is MARK for gently caress’s sake.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Slaapaav posted:

Jingle all the Way is crassly consumerist, but it’s a movie that sincerely wants audiences to feel worried that Arnold Schwarzenegger’s wife is going to cheat on him with the local Loathario, Phil Hartman. It’s good as hell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

The best gag in Commando is when Matrix is wandering round yelling 'Jenny' and we see some soldier just smoking a cigar, waiting his turn. It confirms that, yeah, these dudes do just sit around waiting to be shot.

Pay attention to the extras getting killed in the big fight at the end. They didn't have enough, so each of them did more than one "getting blowed up" scene. You'll be able to award style points and pick favorites.

Great loving movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Commando on one of the major streaming services right now? I haven't seen it in probably 15 years.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

brocked posted:

At least his nickname was "Dutch" in Predator

Matrix: You know, when I was a boy and rock and roll came to East Germany, the Communists said it was subversive... (thinks for a moment) Maybe they were right?

They actually thought of everything in Commando.

e: My favorite bit of Commando stupidity/genius is when they know the fuel receipt was for a sea plane because it's :frogbon: AMPHIBIAN FUEL. :frogbon:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 6, 2019

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Commando and Police Story came out at about the same time and both had big mall galleria set pieces, and god I love both of them. Also both have crazy downhill chase scenes. Hmmm.

Commando has better jokes though, ‘I have to go to my shed to get my rifle’, ‘my friend is dead tired. ‘I lied/ let him go’. Also better continuity errors, it’s like they deliberately screwed up details and repeated killing the same extras just to make viewing more fun.

Bloodsport is very, very special though, despite the overuse risks of slow motion closeups of fake hits; it contains the only known footage shot inside Kowloon walled city; that isn’t a set.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Remulak posted:

Bloodsport is very, very special though, despite the overuse risks of slow motion closeups of fake hits; it contains the only known footage shot inside Kowloon walled city; that isn’t a set.

There’s also Long Arm of the Law, the 1984 Johnny Mak film. Good movie I’d recommend checking it out, especially if you’re interested in that sort of stuff the Kowloon Walled City bits are great.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Remulak posted:

there is also this jcvd acting masterclass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXIe6pouJTc&t=323s

also the 80s synth soundtrack.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Remulak posted:

That movie started my interest in Kowloon Walled City, which has always fascinated me. I'll always remember the line "We're about to cross an invisible line from Hong Kong into mainland China. From here on out, you have to protect your nuts." My dad and I loved that movie, and we'd often quote it back in Miami in the '90s, substituting in different local neighborhoods.

Slaapaav posted:

also the 80s synth soundtrack.

"Fight to Survive" is actually by Stan Bush, of "(You've Got) The Touch" and "Dare" fame -- from the legendary, cocaine-fueled soundtrack of Transformers: The Movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ4XHW5Q4gU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 8, 2019

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the entire soundtrack from bloodsport didnt get released until late 2007 which is pretty crazy to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7QWBbtjqyg

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 8, 2019

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That movie started my interest in Kowloon Walled City, which has always fascinated me. I'll always remember the line "We're about to cross an invisible line from Hong Kong into mainland China. From here on out, you have to protect your nuts." My dad and I loved that movie, and we'd often quote it back in Miami in the '90s, substituting in different local neighborhoods.

You and your dad freaken rule. I think KickBoxer has a really good soundtrack, too. I believe my two favorite Van Damme movies are KickBoxer and Bloodsport. Maybe Timecop as number three, since I don't really consider Universal Soldier as a Van Damme movie.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Remulak posted:

There have been more movies shot in the Walled City, Jackie Chan's Crime Story was shot just before its demolition and gets the destruction started early with a lot of explosions. Another HK movie shot there was Long Arm Of The Law in 1984.

Crime Story is a bit of an oddball for Jackie Chan, it's got both serious stuff and his trademark martial arts dialed down just a little bit to not be too much out of synch with the rest. It's also got one of the most elaborate 'cops raid the gangster hideout' scenes I've ever seen with a detailed look in how you would breach a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn90qnEh2mQ&t=2790s

The gangster going 'Cops ! Hide the money !' when there are mountains of cash everywhere is the best part.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Narzack posted:

You and your dad freaken rule. I think KickBoxer has a really good soundtrack, too. I believe my two favorite Van Damme movies are KickBoxer and Bloodsport. Maybe Timecop as number three, since I don't really consider Universal Soldier as a Van Damme movie.

I can't believe I've never seen Kickboxer or Cyborg. But Kickboxer also has a Stan Bush song in it!

My favorite Van Damme movies are Hard Target and Bloodsport, for sure. I was also blown away by how good Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning was, but that's hardly a Van Damme movie. (I still need to see the other good Universal Soldier that came out before Day of Reckoning.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 8, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CeeJee posted:

Crime Story is a bit of an oddball for Jackie Chan, it's got both serious stuff and his trademark martial arts dialed down just a little bit to not be too much out of synch with the rest. It's also got one of the most elaborate 'cops raid the gangster hideout' scenes I've ever seen with a detailed look in how you would breach a wall.
Oh, my Dad and I saw this once, like 20 years ago, and then I forgot about it. It was hard to keep track of all of Chan's movies with similar Westernized titles. I do remember it having some odd comedy bits in a mostly serious film, and the subplot of the bumbling crooked sidekick and his sex worker girlfriend.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I started watching Assassination Games last night (yes, I'm old now to the point of sometimes watching movies in two sittings) and it is pretty enjoyable.

Scott Adkins and Jean-Claude van Damme have nice chemistry and it was an unexpected treat to see Kevin Chapman (Fusco in Person of Interest) pop up.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm glad Adkins has been doing projects with better production values recently because some of that stuff is just too cheap looking for me to fully enjoy it. Assassination Games fell into that category. Accident Man and The Debt Collector were a definite step up for him.